Quantcast

» «
Photo

For the ♥ of $$$

284 replies to this topic
meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (E28 @ Thursday, Jan 10 2013, 19:28)
dealing drugs

That's the 2nd time that's been mentioned and I actually thought that was one of the more fun things to do in GTA - China Town Wars. Drug exchanges and sales of narcotics could be compelling if handled correctly. I liked the ability to buy something cheap and then turn it over for a bigger profit to someone else when there was a greater demand for it. I also liked that you only had so much time to set up the exchange and sale, that kind of added some urgency to it.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

I think we should be able to get a job, like in Shenmue, and earn money that way too. Taxi, fire, pizza, etc., should all come back. But then, there's the other side; We need lots of things to buy. Even if it's stuff for our safehouse. Balance has never really been achieved in videogames yet, I don't think when it comes to a working economy. I hope R* gets close to it.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • European-Union

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

I do hope that there's plenty of customisable stuff that we can splash our cash on. Didn't they say this game would have more weapons than any previous game? I might just be making that up though lol. I'd really love it if we had a room where we could keep all our weapons and equipment that we'd use for heists and things:

user posted image

We could stockpile things what we wanted or that we might need, so if you died or got busted you'd just go back to your house and grab what you wanted from one place. Or if you were just about to go off on a heist you'd get really tooled up and grab the heavier stuff that you might not normally need. Obviously it would need replenishing from time to time, then you'd basically just go on a huge shopping spree. It would also be pretty cool just having a room like that where you walk in and see the walls covered in guns and weapons. You could also keep stuff like gas masks and the different attachments for your guns in there, as well as a whole range of ammunition.

If you had different gun shops where you could only get certain limited types of weapons in each one, or if this time you can only carry a certain amount of guns in your inventory, say 2 or 3, then it would be pretty practical as well. But even if that's not the case, I'd still love to have one just because of the cool factor. You could also customise it to make it look how you wanted, different display cases and colour schemes etc.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Great topic meta, I really like the idea of having to work for the powerful weapons (those who don't like it can go use some cheats or something). I also second the Chinatown wars drug market idea, had it been on a non-DS GTA I would have spend hundreds of hours on it.

However, one aspect of the money I don't know how to deal with is the exponential growth in reward as the story progresses. In VC, SA and IV you start off earning a couple hundred dollars per mission, and advance to large sums from heists etc. This is great because it gives a feeling of a storyline and character development, but it affects the way you value items. For instance you have to carefully gather the money to buy an Uzi at the beginning of the game, but can buy the whole shop without feeling a thing after about halfway through.

Maybe we could have certain characters only being able to purchase certain items. For instance you can only buy a certain car/tuning parts with Franklin, but Franklin can only make money by grafting (stealing cars, taxi missions etc.). This would give a sense of achievement for the tasks when completing the game to 100%. I remember in SA the taxi missions were fun, but meaningless at the end of the game because CJ's jacket was worth more than the taxi he was driving.

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Thursday, Jan 10 2013, 13:41)
dealing drugs

That's the 2nd time that's been mentioned and I actually thought that was one of the more fun things to do in GTA - China Town Wars. Drug exchanges and sales of narcotics could be compelling if handled correctly. I liked the ability to buy something cheap and then turn it over for a bigger profit to someone else when there was a greater demand for it. I also liked that you only had so much time to set up the exchange and sale, that kind of added some urgency to it.

Drug Dealing was hands down the most fun minigame in the entire GTA franchise. That is all I want from GTAV, personally, I'll be disappointed if there isn't some form of drug dealing. Nobody can tell me it wasn't fun to start out with like 10k and go buy and sell drugs for an hour and turn it into 80k. That was the definition of a fluctuating economy.

‹bermacht
  • ‹bermacht

It means Superior

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Thursday, Jan 10 2013, 19:41)

Yeah, and I feel it could be expanded on so much in GTA V. Dealers could steal your money/drugs and you'd have to chase them, you could rip people off but earn a bad reputation as a result, and you could deal more things (guns, counterfeit goods, the possibilities are endless).

It was well implemented in CTW and that minigame alone encourages me to play it, but I can't help but feel they could do so much more with it.

CSM. HB J-DOGG
  • CSM. HB J-DOGG

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (Cyfa @ Thursday, Jan 10 2013, 20:42)
QUOTE (meta187 @ Thursday, Jan 10 2013, 13:41)
dealing drugs

Drug Dealing was hands down the most fun minigame in the entire GTA franchise. That is all I want from GTAV, personally, I'll be disappointed if there isn't some form of drug dealing. Nobody can tell me it wasn't fun to start out with like 10k and go buy and sell drugs for an hour and turn it into 80k. That was the definition of a fluctuating economy.

I think drug dealing will be in. I could have sworn Trevor is a drug dealer and Im sure Franklin will have some involvement in the drug trade.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Thursday, Jan 10 2013, 20:35)
We could stockpile things what we wanted or that we might need, so if you died or got busted you'd just go back to your house and grab what you wanted from one place.

There's a scene in the Transporter I believe where Stratham goes to his garage and switches out his plates from an entire wall of ready to go registered licence plates that he keeps on his car that he can flip at will on the vehicle.

Screw paying a respray shop, eh? Invest in plates.

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (What!? @ Thursday, Jan 10 2013, 18:58)
R* has already licensed tons of property for customizing vehicles in their racing franchises. Why can't they simply bring that property to GTA vehicle customization?

Because those licenses were for their racing titles only, if they wanted to bring them to GTA it requires a new license and more negotiating and money for it, just as if they licensed Colt for LAN then put a collectible licensed M1911 easter egg in GTA, it'd again need another license.

Plus the fact real brands don't work well in GTA as well.

Revolution-XW
  • Revolution-XW

LuisWayne

• Members

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:00 PM Edited by Revolution-XW, 10 January 2013 - 11:05 PM.

Very good ideas, OP. icon14.gif

I disagree with the looting the players when you die, like it'd be a good idea if when you get looted, you will only lose money from your inventory, money that you are currently holding, that is, of course, with being able to deposit and withdraw money from a bank, or a 'crew bank' whenever.

Otherwise, then it'd be annoying if a player finds a glitch or if you keep getting assaulted by a spawn killer or an entire crew while you're helpless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The leveling up in IV was terrible imo, it took too long, and it was simply annoying having to wait for the game to load all the time you wanted to change a match and search and then trying to find available players to play with you in a TDM or DM.

I hope this leveling up system gets much more improved in V and it's not hard to find a match and that it doesn't take a week to level up 1-2 levels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm actually wondering if we will be able to have our own SP small, special 'crew' that helps us do our heists, assassinations, or other important, tough jobs we need them for.

How will this work, I think each member should have their own 'perks' so they can assist us in many ways, I guess we can recruit as many members as # of perks there is, or we can have 2x members for each perk, in case we need extra guys for the toughest job.

P.S - I'm excited. icon14.gif

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

There are some excellent ideas here, and I want to commend the community on sharing them in a constructive and meaningful way.

For me, allowing some customization with vehicles is something that needs to continue in V. It began in San Andreas, we saw it randomly generated in IV, and since then we've seen games like Saints Row really take it and run with it. While it doesn't necessarily add depth and richness to the game itself, it certainly generates some ownership that lets each player create and mold his own unique, identifiable mark on the game. I believe it goes without saying that clothing options will be plentiful as the GI article already confirmed, and we can likely expect to have common weapons available for purchase as well.

One element that I find particularly intriguing is the idea of having very rare items acquirable through purchase only. I imagine this could be one of a handful of very exclusive vehicles that you simply cannot steal, but must pay out the proverbial ass for if you want to own them. There should not be more than 2-5 of these, in my opinion, and they should be very hard to save up for. This would inspire the completionists out there who must have everything, and it would build incentive to continue saving money and not go blow it on something less functional like (hypothetically speaking) a gold plated assault rifle.

I find meta's ideas about hiring your own muscle very well thought out, and I think it would bring a lot of variety to a game that already offers so much. We know there will be heists and that it's a focus, and from there we can assume to have a selection of types of businesses and jobs to pull off in the same vein as the multiplayer heist missions in IV. I think we can all agree that the heist choices in IV MP were slim and became repetitive within a couple of hours, so I will trust that Rockstar won't disappoint this time around. "No Leaf Clover" simply begged to be a mission, and I will not be surprised to find it or something identical available in the new game.

Although we won't have property, there can still be a plethora of things to spend money on that will be logical and functional in the game:
- What about police bribes? They go on all the time at high levels of the criminal underworld, and almost every gangster film or story involves some layer of pacifying authority through bribe.
- Bribes could also extend to certain security personnel or building employees who could be witnesses. Pay them to turn the cheek.
- Buying security information about a job target from an insider (guard shifts, access doors, escape routes, safe combinations, etc)
- Expansion of established safehouses (bigger garages as well as aesthetic changes just for funsies)
- A weapon shed/gun safe? A player could stash some weapons here that he wants to keep for later, and doesn't want to lose in the event of arrest. I've wanted this since Vice City.

Some of the things I've mentioned have been touched on earlier in this topic, and some might be too ambitious. I think they could go in a lot of different directions and I'm excited to hear more about it.

Realistic Stank
  • Realistic Stank

Fupacabra

• Members

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

A lot of good ideas here guys. Unfortunately I'm at work so I can only skim at the moment, but I just wanted to ask the topic starter a completely off topic question. Is the title of this thread a Bone Thugs reference?

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:27 AM Edited by meta187, 11 January 2013 - 01:37 AM.

QUOTE (Realistic Stank @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 01:06)
A lot of good ideas here guys. Unfortunately I'm at work so I can only skim at the moment, but I just wanted to ask the topic starter a completely off topic question. Is the title of this thread a Bone Thugs reference?

You're half right.

It's a song title Bone Thugs in Harmony borrowed from the original song by The O'Jays.

For the love

Foe tha love

rodrich266
  • rodrich266

"After five years on the East Coast, it was time to go home

• Members

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

Nice topic I have thought about this a bit myself

One thing that could really get money involved would be using the same money from Single Player and merging it with the money from Multiplayer. I don't think money will determine your rank this time but instead it will be used for wagers, weapons, upgrades and such like in Max Payne 3 and also it could be used in multiplayer to personalize your character and get some cool things like your own ride for GTA RACE or your personalized weapons for unique gameplay modes that allow your custom weapons (and bear with me) customization options for cars like we see in Saints Row and weapon customization like in some CoD games.

This system would make money spending more frequent and will add a little something to multiplayer that can help you stand out from the rest and be unique

Again, Nice Topic turn.gif

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Here were all my ideas for V's money system: The Money System.

Main Points:

• Prices need to be realistic.
• Gambling, loaning, and debt need to be in GTAV.
• Motels, hotels and other temporary safehouses are essential.
• Players should be able to buy cars, phones, and other accessories. (besides clothing)
• Stealing and robbing should be a somewhat minigame, like Red Dead Redemption.
• Imagine the selling/buying feature from Red Dead Redemption to be implemented into drug dealing in GTAV.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (grope_4_that_date @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 01:55)

They've already said that there aren't going to be safehouses in the next game but each character does have a home and as stated previously I'd really like to see fun and creative ways to embellish those homes. I def like some of the expanded ideas earlier about elaborate weapons lockers and such.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • European-Union

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 13:01)

They've already said that there aren't going to be safehouses in the next game but each character does have a home and as stated previously I'd really like to see fun and creative ways to embellish those homes. I def like some of the expanded ideas earlier about elaborate weapons lockers and such.

It's going to be a pretty big map though, having only 3 locations to save doesn't seem like very much. I doubt their 3 homes will be that geographically spread out either, so you'll have huge areas without anywhere to save your progress. Autosaving after missions wouldn't really help either if you were just having a 2 hour mess around in the countryside. I guess they could allow you to save it whenever you want? Don't know if I'd like that tbh, I'd much prefer having to actually specifically go somewhere to save my game. It just feels right. Did they actually say "no safehouses"?. I know they said no property will be purchasable, is that what you're referring to or was it a different thing? Hard to keep track of everything lol.

Maybe we will only have 3 safehouses, but we'll be able to save it through payphones, or even our own mobile/cellular phones.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:16 PM Edited by meta187, 11 January 2013 - 02:18 PM.

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 13:45)
Did they actually say "no safehouses"?. I know they said no property will be purchasable, is that what you're referring to or was it a different thing? Hard to keep track of everything lol.

Honestly, I think the latter is correct they did say no purchasable properties specifically that may not rule out safehouses that you acquire as a natural part of the storyline similar to what they did in IV. If for what ever reason they did keep it down to strictly three residences I'm sure they would provide you with a number of alternative save options.

I would say geographically, I actually do think the protaganists will live on different corners of the map. Presumably, Trevor will be out in the rural community skirting the countryside, Michael will live in an upscale suburb on one corner of the city and Franklin will live in a lower to middle class neighborhood in another section of the city. In the scenario that you're out tooling around in the wilderness or a far corner of the map and you need to save quickly, you'll also most likely have the option to switch back over to someone standing closer to their residence.

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 08:16)
Franklin will live in a lower to middle class neighborhood in another section of the city.

Why? Because he's black? You racist.

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:14 PM Edited by Whiskey, 11 January 2013 - 03:29 PM.

Love the idea that you can never have too much money. I am also with the idea of abolishing pickups. It just makes the whole concept of money more important than just buying $1 burgers and clothes. I would rather go on a crime spree stealing cars and mugging people to afford my weapons so I can move up the criminal ladder. I think they should have different tiers of heists. Starting with random stores and outlets where you just run in and 'Smash and Grab' with little consequence, maybe a few wanted stars.

Then you can move up the ladder to things like jewellery stores where you have to plan your heist, then you have to spend your hard earned money on things like disguises, vehicles and weaponry/gear. (like the jewellery heist in the first trailer, where they were in the Bugstar overalls) Then you can have high level banks like Three Leaf Clover where you can run in and perform a robbery like the film 'Heat'. Maybe the highest level heist could be a facility where the government stores all it's gold. The heist should be highly rewarding but extremely well protected and would need some serious planning and equipment to pull off.

Hopefully if they carry over the inventory system, you can purchase wearable bandannas or balaclavas for heists. Which when worn they will conceal you so when you take them off the cops have a less chance of spotting you since they never seen your face.

Also with the heists. While the heist is in progress, any money you've stolen should be placed in your inventory. Then placed into a vehicle like an armored security car which you've purchased or stolen in preparation for the heist.

As said earlier in the thread you should be able to rent properties as safehouses instead of purchasing them so instead of getting them for free and forgetting about them you can rent them on a need-to basis. Giving you something else to spend your money on. Then when your heist is in progress you have to get your vehicle with the money in it to the nearest safehouse you've rented. (You can rent as many as you like so you have a plan A, plan B ect) Then a few hours pass, a fresh change of clothes and the money is yours. But with items like jewellery or vehicles, you can either keep them or fence them for cash.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:44 PM Edited by meta187, 11 January 2013 - 04:13 PM.

QUOTE (Forty @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 14:54)
QUOTE (meta187 @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 08:16)
Franklin will live in a lower to middle class neighborhood in another section of the city.

Why? Because he's black? You racist.

I gotta tell ya even as I typed that I had this "wait for it" kind of premonition that someone (you) would pick up on that. biggrin.gif

Hell, for all we know Franklin could live in a 5K a month condo in the sky but in the previews he's often seen hanging out in the slightly less nice parts of town so it's an assumption at best.

@Whiskey: Two potentially good ideas there.

Physical Money: Making money, particularly large quantities of it a physical thing you actually have to pack into a getaway vehicle and carry back to a personal vault to spend later on large purchases. Holy sh!t, that would break every previous gaming convention from the mainstream. There is literally no popular game now that puts a limit on how much money you can carry aside from a wallet size in Far Cry 3 or Zelda but to literally have to stack up cash and haul it from point A to point B would be visually very satisfying.

Rentable Properties/Locations: That would indeed give us a great reason to spend money. You want to plan for a heist at a particular location but you also want to set up shop somewhere nearby, so you rent a room at the seedy motel across the street to watch the guard rotation and police presence or whatever. You can't buy the place but you can rent it and watch the general routine around the bank and run back there to save should you need to. Great idea, really.

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 09:44)
Franklin could live in a 5K a month condo in the sky

A...deluxe apartment in the sky?

When the game is done would we say he's finally got a piece of the pie?

You're such a f*cking racist.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (Forty @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 16:08)
You're such a f*cking racist.

user posted image

Fish don't fry in the kitchen, beans don't burn on the grill.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • European-Union

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

I'm shocked and appalled at the level of prejudice and bigotedness I have come across in here. It's like being back in the 50's with Meta here.

Gotta say I do like the idea of money being a physical thing too. That you could only carry a certain amount on you, and keep the rest tucked under your mattress, or in a vault/safe somewhere. If they're doing it with money though, surely they'd have to do it with other things like weapons as well. It'd be a bit weird if you could only carry a certain amount of notes in your pocket, but it's ok to have 10 massive guns that you just store in your anal cavity.

I'd actually like to see how a similar system to Resident Evil 4's inventory could work. Where you have a set limit, and basically each item takes up a certain amount of space and it's up to you to try fit it all in. It probably looks a bit crap just by these pictures, but I'm sure anyone that's played it will tell you that it was pretty god damn awesome.

user posted image

user posted image

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 10:41)
I'm shocked and appalled at the level of prejudice and bigotedness I have come across in here. It's like being back in the 50's with Meta here.

Can meta expect a strongly worded letter from your attorney?

That inventory system reminds me of Diablo, and while it's not a bad idea, I'm not sure I see it fitting into what I expect in a GTA game. Not saying it wouldn't work, but they've always done it differently.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • European-Union

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (Forty @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 16:48)
QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 10:41)

Can meta expect a strongly worded letter from your attorney?

I'm not rich enough to afford an attorney, I'll probably just push some excrement through his letter box.

And yh GTA is a completely different game to Diablo III/Resi4, so who knows maybe such a system might not exactly work that well. But I just like the idea that we have to plan a little bit, regarding what we can and cannot use. Instead of simply being able to carry everything that we need with us. It would be more challenging and introduce a little bit more strategy, and you'd have to make choices. E.g. you really want this cool new gun that could shoot a woman's tits off at 40 paces, but that would mean having to drop something else which you really need. It'd also allow you to have a different load out or play style, you might pack it full of explosive type weaponry at one point but then have a load of stealthy stuff at another time.

It could add a bit of difference in one respect that we haven't really seen in GTA before.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:04 PM Edited by meta187, 11 January 2013 - 05:11 PM.

QUOTE (Forty @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 16:48)
That inventory system reminds me of Diablo, and while it's not a bad idea, I'm not sure I see it fitting into what I expect in a GTA game. Not saying it wouldn't work, but they've always done it differently.

I really like the inventory system from RE but I do know so far Rockstar has favored a weapon wheel (RDR, Max Payne 3) or a bumper switch (GTA IV) to keep the player in the action. Accessing a menu to select a weapon wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but it would temporarily take you out of the action. A possible hybrid could work, where it's simply understood that whatever weapons you packed into your briefcase are the ones you can tab between. The rest of the items packed in the suitcase would simply be case sensitive tools of the trade for the specific job you're planning to do.

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 09:01)

QUOTE (meta187 @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 09:01)

You could rent a property in Red Dead Redemption (Ridgewood Farm).

It would be very easy for Rockstar to do. Plus, not only would it give more depth to the game, it would also add a little big of flavor to the game. Allowing players to pretend their on the run- or just somewhere new. But its also realistic too. Real crimes happen in motels. It's a matter of fact. We see it in movies and read about it on Craigslist. Why does business happen in motels? No paper trail and you wouldn't do this stuff at your house. When your on the run, or you want to do a deal, you go to a motel.

It would also give players more freedom. Allow them to roleplay a little. Whether they're pretending their on the run or just because its the only place nearby. All towns should have motels, giving them a purpose and more flavor.

Imagine renting a motel in the sticks in the middle of nowhere. cool.gif

Motel features:
• You'd be able to save your car there.
• Motels would each be different and enterable. Some motels are dirty sh*tholes, while others are a little better.
• Hotels and motels in Los Sanots arn't really needed- just in the smaller towns outside the city.
• You should be able to rent a safehouse for up to 7 days, paying in advance.
• This would also help the feeling of a working economy.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Am I the only one who avoids reading this topic title for fear of getting bone thugs stuck in his head.

"Gotta get dat money man"

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Friday, Jan 11 2013, 11:26)
Am I the only one who avoids reading this topic title for fear of getting bone thugs stuck in his head.

"Gotta get dat money man"

Lmaoo

But yeah these screens make me believe that we're going to see the renting property feature return from RDR, but in hotel/motel fashion:

user posted image

user posted image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook