Photo

London Underground Completes 150 Years of Service

25 replies to this topic
MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

My real name is Michael. #FACT.

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

A historic date for Britons and Londoners is upon us. On January 9, 2013, the London Underground; the worlds oldest underground railroad (subway network) will have completed 150 years of service. The London Underground is most notable for the trademark round circle logo and due to the circular shape of some of the tunnels, it is frequently referred to as "The Tube". The London Underground was first opened in 1863 and has led a remarkable long and colorful lifespan with a large share of triumphs and tragedies. Link to BBC News article.

Here is a highly summarized timeline of very notable events for the London Underground. I included events that I feel are the most notable.

*1825: Marc Brunel begins construction of the Thames Tunnel using his patented tunneling sheild; a structure used in the excavation of tunnels where the earth is too soft and/or too moist to remain solid during the excavation process unprotected. Progress is slow.
*1845: Charles Pearson; solicitor to the City of London begins promoting the idea of an underground railway network for the purposes of mass transit to keep the growing and densely packed city of London moving. A prospect that politicians in present day Southern Ontario are unable to grasp.
*1854: Metropolitan Railway is incorporated and granted powers to construct an underground railway network.
*1863: The Metropolitan Railway opens the first underground subway in the world.
*1940: The dawn of The Blitz temporarily halts all plans for additional expansion. Much expansion and growth has occurred. Railway stations and later railway tracks are used as air raid shelters complete with government supplied emergency supplies such as bunks, latrines and canned food.
Metropolitan line services withdrawn between Latimer Road and Kensington Olympia stations following bomb damage at Uxbridge Road.
*1941: Uncompleted new Northern line depot at Aldenham station converted for the construction of Halifax bombers.
Plessey; a now defunct British electronics, defense, and telecommunications company uses unopened Central line tunnels between Wanstead and Gants Hill as an underground factory.
A German bomb explodes in the Central line ticket hall at Bank station, killing 56 people.
*1943: A stampede at an air raid shelter at unopened Bethnal Green station kills 173 people.
Below: Londoners take shelter in a subway station during The Blitz.
user posted image
*1987: The infamous Kings Cross fire kills 31 people when a fire breaks out in an old wooden escalator as a result of a carelessly discarded cigarette and decades of dirt and flammable debris gathering underneath. An explosion of sorts is caused by a rush of air and oxygen from an arriving train.
*2001: Many buildings in Canary Wharf, London are evacuated as a precaution in the midst of the September 11th attacks in the United States, although operations on London Underground do not cease entirely.
2005: Al Qaeda's most recent attack on western soil; the 2005 London Bombings take place. Suicide bombers detonate bombs on three trains and one bus, killing 52 and injuring more than 770 people.
2008: On June 1st, an alcohol ban is imposed to prevent rowdy and drunken behavior. A party ensues on the tube the night before the ban takes place and escalates. Many arrests are made.
2013: On January 8th, I write this topic in the wee hours of the morning. On January 9th, The London Underground celebrates 150 years of service and technological innovation.

user posted image

stu
  • stu

I'm finished.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

I've used it quite a few times, and the people that use it seem to treat everyone else as though they're an aggressive dog. Basically they don't make eye contact, at all, under any circumstance. Everybody gets squished together if it's particularly busy, and you'd better hope that the person who's armpit your head is wedged under decided to use deodorant today. When you're waiting for the thing to arrive whilst you're on the platform, you could easily be killed. All it would take is someone at the back to breathe out a little too hastily and then 4 people would be pushed onto the track and either electrified or made into human pancakes. The whole place stinks of piss, and you're constantly aware of people with backpacks and long beards.

I hate using the damn thing, and luckily I only use it about once a year. That's enough for me because it's pretty stressful, if it's at rush hour then even more so.

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

My real name is Michael. #FACT.

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Tuesday, Jan 8 2013, 05:23)
I've used it quite a few times, and the people that use it seem to treat everyone else as though they're an aggressive dog. Basically they don't make eye contact, at all, under any circumstance. Everybody gets squished together if it's particularly busy, and you'd better hope that the person who's armpit your head is wedged under decided to use deodorant today. When you're waiting for the thing to arrive whilst you're on the platform, you could easily be killed. All it would take is someone at the back to breathe out a little too hastily and then 4 people would be pushed onto the track and either electrified or made into human pancakes. The whole place stinks of piss, and you're constantly aware of people with backpacks and long beards.

I hate using the damn thing, and luckily I only use it about once a year. That's enough for me because it's pretty stressful, if it's at rush hour then even more so.

The London Underground is known for overcrowding. Some stations are worse than others. In addition, you have extreme heat and body odor to contend with. Those are two of many things that drive me nuts.

ainsz
  • ainsz

Senor Dickhead

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

And to commemorate such a special occasion; here's a song that documents the many attributes of The London Underground. Happy Birthday! biggrin.gif

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (ainsz @ Tuesday, Jan 8 2013, 11:56)
And to commemorate such a special occasion; here's a song that documents the many attributes of The London Underground. Happy Birthday! biggrin.gif

That song is bloody brilliant. icon14.gif

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Trains. Cool enough tounge.gif

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

I used The Underground for the first time last year and was just blown away by how many people were there. I mean, I'm not thick, I know London is heavily populated, but the madness that went on down there was just crazy. People stop for nothing, it was almost impossible to find a map, it bloody stinks, the winds are insane, the list is endless.

The thing is, I loved it. I loved the efficiency. I loved the pedestrian systems e.g. everyone stood to the right on the escalators so that people who wanted to walk up could do so. Once you have found a map, it's so incredibly easy to know where you're going that you feel like a mong for needing one in the first place. I loved that, too. I bloody adore the Oyster Card system. The whole thing was pretty effortless and simple, the way things should be.

The only time it felt odd was when I was sat on the train with a few other people. I was on the end away from all of them. There was a bloke walking up the isle, picking up all the rubbish with those picker things. I noticed that there were sh*t-loads of newspapers around me so I piled them up along with any rubbish that was near (nothing messy, though. f*ck that). When he got to it I helped him throw it all into the black bag. He thanked me quite a few times with a rather genuine smile and simply carried on. As soon as I sat down I felt the eyes of the other passengers burning into my soul. It turns out that people don't really help out down there. I think that's pretty sh*tty.

Wolf of Badenoch
  • Wolf of Badenoch

Invisible....

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Sorry for the bump.
QUOTE (TheGreatGig23 @ Thursday, Jan 10 2013, 23:43)
I bloody adore the Oyster Card system. The whole thing was pretty effortless and simple, the way things should be.

My local system, The Glasgow Subway is getting something similar called the Bramble smartcard later in the year. Not before time.
Here's more info.

Back to the LU, here's a video of a Metropolitan Line express train at Wembley Park station in the 1980s:

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

I was at Baker Street on Friday, and it's like stepping into a time warp. The station still has all its old features, even the clocks and boards are old. Was really cool though, in a way it was nicer than seeing it all newly renovated.

The overall feel of the London Underground has changed so much, the trains and tube's themselves have changed (Or changing) 3 times since i have been alive. They used to be these white but more grey, depressing lumps with interior that looked like someone had vomited out honeycomb.

Much better now though, much cleaner and safer with 2 cameras videoing every carriage on the train from the inside. Although lets not kid ourselves, the cameras are to try and deter graffiti artists from doing graffiti inside the carriages, not for public safety.

Jackal.
  • Jackal.

Don't you f*cking look at me!

• Cyclop 9

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

I used the Underground pretty much everyday for 3 years. It's a great service don't get me wrong, gets you pretty much anywhere in the London region (albeit the further from central you go, the more spaced out the stops are, It used to be a 20-30 minute walk to my nearest tube from my house). Although in rush hour I would've rather just walked haha, and saturday and friday nights it's packed with the general must annoying and disgusting people you've ever seen. I've seen someone simultaneously piss and vomit at the same time on a tube, safe to say I got off the carriage at the next stop. It's not exactly cheap either, and it keeps going up. But it's still nonetheless a great service.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (Azriel @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 12:25)
I used the Underground pretty much everyday for 3 years. It's a great service don't get me wrong, gets you pretty much anywhere in the London region (albeit the further from central you go, the more spaced out the stops are, It used to be a 20-30 minute walk to my nearest tube from my house). Although in rush hour I would've rather just walked haha, and saturday and friday nights it's packed with the general must annoying and disgusting people you've ever seen. I've seen someone simultaneously piss and vomit at the same time on a tube, safe to say I got off the carriage at the next stop. It's not exactly cheap either, and it keeps going up. But it's still nonetheless a great service.

Two quid on your Oyster. That's pretty f*cking cheap mate.

The heat can be unbearable, and at peak times it's so crowded. I've seen people literally squeezed out of the carriage and it's not even their stop.
Other than that, it's a great service. I like that everyone keeps to themselves. I might shoot someone a polite smile now and again, but I don't use the tube to make friends.
You do get some rare people on there, you just mind your own business though. It is generally safe even at night. That being said I did get myself into a little brawl some months ago, when something was happening a few seats down I couldn't stay oblivious to.

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (Harley @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 14:29)
I like that everyone keeps to themselves. I might shoot someone a polite smile now and again, but I don't use the tube to make friends.

It can be used for it though. When I was in London with school two months ago we were taking the tube and got off at the Baker Street. And all the way till our stop I was talking to some man that was sitting in front of me and my friends. We had a pretty nice conversation with the guy. I assumed that people in London would be all grumpy and stuff, but he was a nice guy actually and liked to talk with us. On our way back I talked to a random girl. She was.. less friendly. But that was my fault I guess..

Anyway, you should try it sometimes. tounge.gif

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

It is amazing the lengths people will go to avoid making eye contact on the train. Pretending to read the signs about the windows, staring at their laps and feet, heaven forbid we look at strangers tounge.gif

Wolf of Badenoch
  • Wolf of Badenoch

Invisible....

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (tms_junk @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 19:13)
It is amazing the lengths people will go to avoid making eye contact on the train. Pretending to read the signs about the windows, staring at their laps and feet, heaven forbid we look at strangers  tounge.gif

Same on the Glasgow Subway. I always make a note to keep to myself and keep my eyes aimed at the floor, lest I incur the wrath of a tired commuter.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

London underground smells of piss.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:41 PM Edited by tms_junk, 25 June 2013 - 10:46 PM.

**EDIT**
What i was posting was already posted, whoops. anuj_cop.gif

Diggdydog
  • Diggdydog

Trick

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

I dunno about the tube. I use buses more personally, but I do love the speed of the tube. The eye contact thing I don't really mind, but I do f*cking hate it when someone is staring at me. Like staring as if I've done something wrong? The whole preconception that (lets face it, blockheads from the north) have about Londoners being selfish, rude and miserable is so insane! I've met loads of lovely people here and I've only been here 2 months! There are some nutters though..

I've never personally smelt the piss on the tube? Maybe just some stations in the... less developed (?) parts of London.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

That video of Wembley park in the 80's is pretty cool, I go to that station nearly every week so its pretty nice to see what it was like 30 years ago, not much has changed.

I like the new metropolitan trains they introduced last year, so much space, you can tell they were designed with the rush hour in mind unlike the older trains.

Wolf of Badenoch
  • Wolf of Badenoch

Invisible....

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:58 AM Edited by Valenta, 26 June 2013 - 09:17 PM.

^^^The Hammersmith & City line, the Circle line and the District line are all getting these new trains along with the Metropolitan line. They should all be in service by 2016.

Here's a video of my local system, the Glasgow Subway aka The Clockwork Orange, the 3rd oldest metro system in the world after the London Underground and the Budapest Metro:

Not strictly related to the LU, but I wanted to share it regardless.

Raindancer
  • Raindancer

Beer monster

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

I took this a few weeks back...

user posted image

I travel on the tube every day and f*cking hate it.. too bloody hot, no space to play games on my tab.. although lots of pretty ladies smile.gif
  • IHATESPAMMERS likes this

K20
  • K20

Woooo-rah

• Members

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

yep... summer is the best. less clothes in the underground. loadsa sexy people.

but sometimes it truly is horrid. Metropolitan line has A/C... hopefully they get it going on the other lines as well.

Wolf of Badenoch
  • Wolf of Badenoch

Invisible....

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:38 PM Edited by Valenta, 26 June 2013 - 08:43 PM.

QUOTE (Raindancer @ Wednesday, Jun 26 2013, 13:29)
I travel on the tube every day and f*cking hate it.. too bloody hot, no space to play games on my tab.. although lots of pretty ladies smile.gif

Probably the only good thing about the tube, that last part. Always brightens up a early morning commute. Luckily, the Glasgow Subway doesn't get as nearly as crowded as the Tube, but it still gets busy.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (kb2084 @ Wednesday, Jun 26 2013, 14:51)
yep... summer is the best. less clothes in the underground. loadsa sexy people.

but sometimes it truly is horrid. Metropolitan line has A/C... hopefully they get it going on the other lines as well.

Is an advantage, and would be lovely having it on all lines. District line is the one i used most, so especially on there.
However, they will probably cover the costs of adding AC by upping the fares.

Wolf of Badenoch
  • Wolf of Badenoch

Invisible....

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

Jackal.
  • Jackal.

Don't you f*cking look at me!

• Cyclop 9

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Harley @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 12:29)

2 quid one way to where? It used to cost me a fiver a day man.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (Azriel @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 13:00)
QUOTE (Harley @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 12:29)

2 quid one way to where? It used to cost me a fiver a day man.

To be fair I rarely go further than zone 3. Still, fiver a day on transport isn't bad at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users