Gear shift animation

106 replies to this topic
richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Cool but why stop there why not change gears personally and have indicators but incluse all car stuff in iv like the light on cars dimmed and handbreak turns biggrin.gif

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:54 PM Edited by nkjellman, 07 January 2013 - 09:57 PM.

It would be good to have in the game. I can see little details like this being put in the game. They already have the top going down on convertibles.

The thing is though is that most cars have automatic transmitions. So the animations should only occur (on certain vehicles) when the player enters, exits, and changes from going forward to backing up and reverse to drive.

Here are some other reasonable things other games have that they could include.

Some other vehicle animations that could also be included.
-Steering wheel movements. Not only do the players hands move, but the wheel turns.
-Dash board lights with working speedometer (if first person view is in.)
-Wind Shield wipers that turn on when it rains (like Mafia 2)
-Rain drops on car
-Players feet move when using gas and break. (May not be important but its important in vehicles with open cabins, like convertibles, golf carts, air tugs, or vehicles with the doors off.

For additional realism, they should have the ding sound when a door is open. They implemented the interior lights in GTA IV, but Sleeping Dogs took open car doors a little further.

Cruise control was a nice thing in Saints Row. I hope its in GTA V. It made drive by's a little easier.

Bonfy
  • Bonfy

Friendly Neighborhood Super-Mario

• Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (Adriaan @ Monday, Jan 7 2013, 21:05)
To be fair, having a gear shift animation will just scare players from America. They won't understand what he's doing! tounge.gif

I bet pretty much everyone has seen at least once "Fast and Furious" & the sequels. I don't think people won't understand what is going on. wink.gif

NikoBellicGTAIV
  • NikoBellicGTAIV

Prankster

• Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (Adriaan @ Monday, Jan 7 2013, 20:12)
It's all about prioritization. When you consider they're battling for available resources with a limited 512 mb ram, something like an extra animation like this really is moved way down on the list.

So it's not always about "but it's so simple to implement", but rather, just another example of trade-offs that's happening when having something else in memory is considered to be more important.

That sounds interesting. What about a turning steering wheel? Because it's weird having the character moving his hands while the steering wheel remains static. Would they put a thing like that at the bottom of the list?

PS: It seems you know about this stuff, Adriaan. Were you a game developer in a past life? smile.gif

Moto-Skiier
  • Moto-Skiier

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

I love this idea, It would be awesome! I drive a manual in my truck and my car... I also have a Land Cruiser that is manual. This would add a lot of realism to the game!

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Franklin shifts gears in trailer one before he turns the corner (and crashes into the blue car) while being chased by the cops.. so yes it will be in V. It may only be in certain cars though.. the red car he is driving is European (Dewbauchee) so it makes sense but there could be a few automatic cars that will only have the animation for reversing.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

You go OTB more than me man!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

QUOTE (K^2 @ Monday, Jan 7 2013, 22:29)
MCLA also had an option for manual transmission. Which, by the way, when assigned to the right thumbstick, worked wonderfully. I don't know why, but button shifting just doesn't work as well for me. Flicking the stick fore and back just felt right. And shift timing felt very natural too.

I'll make sure to re-adjust my controls after I get my PS3 fixed.

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Adriaan @ Monday, Jan 7 2013, 20:12)
It's all about prioritization. When you consider they're battling for available resources with a limited 512 mb ram, something like an extra animation like this really is moved way down on the list.

So it's not always about "but it's so simple to implement", but rather, just another example of trade-offs that's happening when having something else in memory is considered to be more important.

I wouldn't jump to this conclusion with a developer like R*. I never expected sprinklers or gas cans. It's hard to tell what's low on R*'s list of priorities. The game is called Grand Theft Auto V and I wonder how many yoga animations we'll see?

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Monday, Jan 7 2013, 22:13)
Franklin shifts gears in trailer one before he turns the corner (and crashes into the blue car) while being chased by the cops.. so yes it will be in V.

Where, when?

oblivionskate
  • oblivionskate

Ghettotech

• Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

well yea since it's in the U.S. only sports cars should be manual. I personally think it's a sin to only know how to drive an automatic though, that's isn't even driving. but hey, that's my lazy ass country for you.

I Shot The Sheriff
  • I Shot The Sheriff

Yippie-kay-yay, motherf*cker!

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (Adriaan @ Monday, Jan 7 2013, 20:05)
having a gear shift animation will just scare players from America. They won't understand what he's doing! tounge.gif

A big LOL to that, my friend.

Alenko
  • Alenko

BEST IN THE WORLD.

• Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (I Shot The Sheriff @ Monday, Jan 7 2013, 16:46)
QUOTE (Adriaan @ Monday, Jan 7 2013, 20:05)
having a gear shift animation will just scare players from America. They won't understand what he's doing! tounge.gif

A big LOL to that, my friend.

Automatics run on magic smoke. When it leaves, the car doesn't work anymore. MAGIC SMOKE I tell ya! panic.gif

thisnutritiondiet
  • thisnutritiondiet

Rocket-powered Turbo Sloth

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

But hey, look at what they have today in some new cars, PADDLE SHIFTERS . It would be great in gta v for the newer cars/sports cars
And older automobiles muscle cars, 4x4's can have stick shifts.
The animation would be very cool.

G-Eazy
  • G-Eazy

Important

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Monday, Jan 7 2013, 21:54)
It would be good to have in the game. I can see little details like this being put in the game. They already have the top going down on convertibles.

The thing is though is that most cars have automatic transmitions. So the animations should only occur (on certain vehicles) when the player enters, exits, and changes from going forward to backing up and reverse to drive.

Here are some other reasonable things other games have that they could include.

Some other vehicle animations that could also be included.
-Steering wheel movements. Not only do the players hands move, but the wheel turns.
-Dash board lights with working speedometer (if first person view is in.)
-Wind Shield wipers that turn on when it rains (like Mafia 2)
-Rain drops on car
-Players feet move when using gas and break. (May not be important but its important in vehicles with open cabins, like convertibles, golf carts, air tugs, or vehicles with the doors off.

For additional realism, they should have the ding sound when a door is open. They implemented the interior lights in GTA IV, but Sleeping Dogs took open car doors a little further.

Cruise control was a nice thing in Saints Row. I hope its in GTA V. It made drive by's a little easier.

Wow, great ideas man ;o

Chekoloco
  • Chekoloco

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

NOPE

M0B5TA
  • M0B5TA

#swag yolo lolz

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (manny_calavera @ Monday, Jan 7 2013, 19:49)
Aren't manual transmission cars a rarity in the States?

ive never in my life owned an automatic and 90% of everyone i know drives manual.

matajuegos
  • matajuegos

2 Years in the forums!!! I MISS YOU ZEE

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Yeah, why not?

By the way, in my country it's considered the automatic transmission only for pussies and women ph34r.gif lol

PlayerSince97
  • PlayerSince97

Name's Tyler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (M0B5TA @ Tuesday, Jan 8 2013, 20:00)

ive never in my life owned an automatic and 90% of everyone i know drives manual.

I own a five speed 2002 Hyundai Elantra. It's fun! happy.gif

KebeshMode
  • KebeshMode

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

I personally dont care about this animation at the end.. I like realism it would be cool though.. But am i the only one who thinks it would look kind of funny when you are shootin a gun out of the window with left hand.. And going through a tight corner.. Shifting AND holdin the wheel with your right hand biggrin.gif ? Sounds kind of hard to animate that it looks right biggrin.gif ..

M0B5TA
  • M0B5TA

#swag yolo lolz

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (matajuegos @ Tuesday, Jan 8 2013, 20:08)
Yeah, why not?

By the way, in my country it's considered the automatic transmission only for pussies and women ph34r.gif lol

here in the car community anyone with an automaitc is considered a puss

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Wukash13 @ Tuesday, Jan 8 2013, 06:44)
This would be a great inception into the game.

Learn the meaning of inception.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (M0B5TA @ Tuesday, Jan 8 2013, 13:02)
QUOTE (matajuegos @ Tuesday, Jan 8 2013, 20:08)
Yeah, why not?

here in the car community anyone with an automaitc is considered a puss

Truth.

Whoever's pulling out that 'less than 10% of cars are manual trans in US' is way off.

I'd much rather trust what my own eyes and ears tell me than some statistic that probably has a huge margin of error. I wouldn't doubt car manufactures get lobbied to push automatics on us by oil companies since they get sh*t gas mileage in comparison, but in reality manuals are much more common than you're led to believe.

Viper Anton
  • Viper Anton

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Even here in germany most luxury sedans or SUVs have automatic transmission only. And since the newer automatics got 7 or 8 gears they get more popular in mid-size and compact class.
OT:
Why not, the more details rockstar put in GTAV the more realistic it feels. We may not realize it the first time, but you will think it feels right.

G-Eazy
  • G-Eazy

Important

• Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (Viper Anton @ Tuesday, Jan 8 2013, 22:23)
Even here in germany most luxury sedans or SUVs have automatic transmission only. And since the newer automatics got 7 or 8 gears they get more popular in mid-size and compact class.
OT:
Why not, the more details rockstar put in GTAV the more realistic it feels. We may not realize it the first time, but you will think it feels right.

Lol, your right.
I first didn't notice that you had an animation for that in MC:LA.

sigh.gif

thebestgameever
  • thebestgameever

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

OT:

WHy not?

Because of console limits, it may seem like a small feature, it but all adds up and the ps3/xbox are not that good on ram.

G-Eazy
  • G-Eazy

Important

• Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (thebestgameever @ Wednesday, Jan 9 2013, 15:50)
OT:

WHy not?

Because of console limits, it may seem like a small feature, it but all adds up and the ps3/xbox are not that good on ram.

Are you sure that this animation will take lots of RAM in space ?

thebestgameever
  • thebestgameever

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (G-Eazy @ Wednesday, Jan 9 2013, 15:52)
QUOTE (thebestgameever @ Wednesday, Jan 9 2013, 15:50)
OT:

WHy not?

Are you sure that this animation will take lots of RAM in space ?

I dunno, maybe, maybe not.

I do want it, adds to the game. Its one of those things that 99% of the time you will NOT notice, but when you do, it will make you smile because of how cool it is to see.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (M0B5TA @ Tuesday, Jan 8 2013, 14:00)

We've owned several manual transmission cars:
Celica
Nissan 240
2004 Maxima
370z
Now we only have automatics. sad.gif Mom has a car with paddle shifters and dad just owns a boring pathfinder with automatic.

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

Uncut

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Respected 2012
    Most Helpful 2012
    Best Returning Member 2012
    Best Contributor [GTA Series] 2012
    Best Forum Ledby 2012
    Best Moderator 2012

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Tuesday, Jan 8 2013, 23:28)
Whoever's pulling out that 'less than 10% of cars are manual trans in US' is way off.

Actual sales statistics of over 50 years doesn't lie, my friend. Sure, like you explained in your own personal example with family and friends, the people you know drive stick shift. But that doesn't mean it's the same for an entire country.

I'd rather put more faith in actual sales statistics than your "It's 50/50" which is based on your VERY limited local surroundings.

Like deffpony said, automatics are more popular in cities - which is where the majority of the American population live today. Perhaps you live in an area where owning a shotgun and driving a truck full of empty beer cans is more popular. I understand that America is made up of a broad cross section of all kinds of people.

In the end, GTAV is set in Los Santos - not your home town.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (thebestgameever @ Wednesday, Jan 9 2013, 09:50)
OT:

WHy not?

You're kidding?

Right? mercie_blink.gif
Oh god do some research

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users