Photo

HELP - How to replace a building with custom model

20 replies to this topic
Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Im trying to replace, edit, and modify the "Burgetshot" interior and exterior in Times Square (Manhat09.img). I've exported the model via OpenIV, imported it into 3DS Max 12 via Shadow-Plugins, and made my changes. Im now curious as to how to IMPORT the whole building back into the game and replace the model that is currently there. What files are needed to be edited, etc.

I have SparkIV, OpenIV, Shadow-Plugins, GIMS IV, Shadow-Mapper (doesnt work), 3DS Max, and just about every other tool that I've seen here that could help me obtain this.

However, when I try to edit an embedded texture that is already in the game, when I load the game usually I get an "Invalid Resource Detected" error, or the game just crashes during loading.

I do NOT have internet at my house, so checking this forum will only be once or twice a day. It's very hard to find a tutorial on how to obtain this, but as the "Viva New York" mod has shown...editing embeded textures is possible, and the "WTC" mod has shown...importing buildings IS possible.

Im a Mr. Mom, who stays at home all day...and has a LOT of free time with 15+yrs of modeling experience. My goal is to learn how to fluidly import/export, then I plan to completely wipe out every aspect of the map...and create my own city (the one I live in).

So, any help would be appreciated...TYVM, just lemme know what to download, and what to do. (and yes, I've installed the liveless.dll

Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Guess I'll restate exactly whats going on. Here is a simple thing I need help with, and from there Im sure I can teach myself with the concept. Let's use the burgershot logo from Manhat09. A bright red sign that says burgershot, with a hamburger. Im trying to replace that mesh with one that says "Planet Hollywood". However, when I go to export it via GIMS as a WDR, I get an error "No TVFaces" or something. (As I said, im on a different computer as I have no internet at home). I've seen that the Clucking Bell logo was changed to McDonalds....so it can be done...Im just trying to learn how, then as I get more fluid with it...Im sure that my detailed and OCD butt will write a tutorial. (WRITE...NOT A VIDEO WITH NO EXPLANATIONS).

Again, Please help....Im obsessing over this, and plan on doing some HUGE modifications once I learn the basics of import, export custom models, and changes into GTA4.

Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Ok, so I found out how to export my model and import it to openiv. However i have two issues....no textures are being exported, and when i go near model in game, when it switches from lod to my model, gta4 stops working.

Help, I'm sooooo close. Just need to import embedded textures and NOT crash in game.

Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

K....Im guessing that im here alone. Well, when I finally learn how to correct my issues that im having, I will write a very detailed tutorial on this subj since it is so hard for me to come by any information.

Any info on my current glitches would be appreciated.

GTA 1.0.7.0
NO ADD-ON MODS (besides textures as of right now)

ISSUE: Model exports 3ds max 12 with NO embedded textures so it shows up WHITE in OpenIV. When the model loads in game (when im close enough for the LOD obj to switch to my model) the game will crash (GTA HAS STOPPED WORKING).

Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Seriously? Can anyone help me out here? I've seen what im asking for in other mod's. I've spent over a week trying to find a tutorial or ANY sort of help with exporting a custom edited model into GTA4 via .odr (using GIMS). If you know how to do what im asking...PLEASE respond and not just keep this information to yourselves. This is a community, which by definition, is to help one another. Im begging for help. Again, once I know the workflow and HOW to do this...I will create an easily available, and detailed tutorial / site on this topic (Importing building models into GTA).

Please help!!!!!!!!!

Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:44 PM Edited by Androthia, 11 January 2013 - 07:46 PM.

Well, I found out what my texture issue was....in the material editor (GIMS) I had "dictionary" selected, so im assuming that it was trying to pull material from a non-existant texture dictionary. Once I selected "Include" from that same menu....boom.....it's now an EMBEDDED texture...viewable in OpenIV

However, im still having MAJOR issues with game crashes whenever I attempt to view the model in-game.

I have the model in 3ds Max....and the heirarchy is:

dev_model (dummy?)
->cntstu01_dc9 (dummy)
-->cntstu01_dc9_high (actual object)
--->corona (light)
--->corona (light)
--->corona (light)
--->corona (light)
--->corona (light)
--->corona (light)
--->corona (light)
--->corona (light)
--->corona (light)

I don't understand what is going on. What all do I need to setup besides just the mesh, and dummies?? How do I export correctly? Am I missing something here????

Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Here's a screenshot:

user posted image

The McD has been changed to "cntstu01_dc9" now....

Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

115 views....even the creator of OpenIV -GooDNTS- viewing this thread (yes it showed you as "currently viewing")....and STILL no help from anyone? How the heck do people expect others to pull together to create something amazing in GTA4, when ya'll can't even respond to a simple "how" question.

What im asking isnt rocket science.....What needs to be edited and modified within GIMS IV, Hierarchy, Materials in order to be exported as a .wdr file to be imported via OpenIV to be used in-game?

Everyone is talking about importing textures, cars, and people....which is great, but how about other things that matter...like....the area the people walk in, and drive in. C'mon.

ddoodm
  • ddoodm

^_______________^

• Members

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:03 AM Edited by ddoodm, 12 January 2013 - 06:19 AM.

Hey! Before I begin, I need to point out that I'm a recent migrant from III era modding, and I too am still learning RAGE; so, what I say may not necessarily be the most efficient or correct way to do things.

So, all you should really need for what you're trying to do at the moment is GIMS IV, OpenIV and Max.

I noticed that in your hierarchy screenshot, you have a dummy named McD linked to dev_model, which is linked to a mesh (?), which is linked to a bunch of lights and two other models. Dev_model should be followed directly by a dummy with the name of your object (cntstu01_dc9), which should be followed by your mesh and associated coronas. I've attached an image of a similar setup to yours, with the addition of a few extra objects so you can see how they look. The idea is that dev_model is the start of the model structure, whereas dev_map is for map placement and metadata, and dev_col is for collision models. The second layer is what encapsulates and defines the name of your ODR / WDR, and any further layers are object-specific.
user posted image
(As you can see, along with other objects, dterrain0.odr will be exported, which contains a mesh and a light).

Once you have your model structured, you'll want to export an OpenFormats ODR. This will allow you to have OpenIV compile your object to RAGE's proprietary WDR drawable model format. To export an ODR, navigate to the top of the GIMS interface and pull down the OpenFormats tab. Select ODR and allow the script to build your object. You'll then be able to replace the original model by opening the model's respective archive, enabling 'edit mode' and selecting 'Import OpenFormats' from the 'New' menu item.

You may need to rebuild the archive if the difference in your old and new files exceed the block size of the archive (so, rebuild anyway to test that).

Really hope you get your models in the game soon! We really need more experienced modellers around here! smile.gif

EDIT: I usually use GIMS' Hierarchy Manager under the Tools tab of the primary GIMS interface. It really makes setting up dummies for map placement, cols and, of course, models, a breeze. You'll want to use the tools within the OpenFormats group (select the objects to export, write the object's filename [excluding its extension] and hit 'Assign').

Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Alright, lights and mesh are arranged below the dummy cntstu01_dc9. Now, do I need a dummy with colisions too? Also, my multimaterials arent exporting....I was just able to have a single .dds texture to export/import correctly. Any info in that dept?

Tyvm for the reply, btw....

ddoodm
  • ddoodm

^_______________^

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

It looks like all your materials are Max Standardmaterials. You should just be able to click each one in the GIMS material editor to automatically convert them to GTA materials. Otherwise, you may have to manually re-create your submaterials using the tools towards the bottom of the GIMS material editor window. You've probably already worked this out, but for each map in each material, you may want to select the 'Include' radio button to embed your maps / textures in the WDR:
user posted image

You can update your object's collision mesh at your own will; collision data does not need to be updated in order to make your object function in-game. That being said, whenever you want to export your collisions, set up the same structure as with dev_map and rename the parent dummy to 'dev_col' (remove your lights, of course). GIMS IV can take care of all of that for you with the Hierarchy Manager tools.

(No problem!)

Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:59 AM

Yeah, thats something i noticed....no dev_map...how is that created? Im still crashing in game. Because of 1.0.7???

ddoodm
  • ddoodm

^_______________^

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Hmm, it's quite odd that you're still experiencing a crash, especially when you're able to view it in OpenIV. OH, just realized that you're modifying an object, so you're using its original WPL.

The object's old WPL is instructing RAGE that your object has a LOD and that it should use it, but the game can't find it, so it throws an exception. We should be able to fix that by either rebuilding the entire WPL using GIMS, or by modifying one of your object's instance properties (I think). I'll walk you through the second option as it'll be easier, assuming it actually works, lol. Just in case I'm wrong, make a copy of WPL that contains the positioning information for your object (the relevant map placement file located in PC/Data/Maps). You'll need WPL Manager for this:
http://www.gtagaming...a-iv/tools/1933

Use WPL Manager to open your object's respective WPL. Locate the entry with the name "cntstu01_dc9" and right click it. We'll be modifying what WPL Manager refers to as 'Unknown 03', but it's actually a DWORD that specifies the model's LOD index. So, after right clicking the appropriate entry, hover over 'Unknown' and modify the third member so that it becomes '0', thus instructing RAGE that the object does not contain a LOD. Save your changes under the File menu item.

I don't know much about REPLACING existing objects in-game, so there's a chance that you could have just linked your original cntstu01_dc9_low mesh to the cntstu01_dc9 dummy, but I have a feeling your LOD index would not match that of the existing WPL.

Importing and exporting IDE/WPL pairs within GIMS is fairly straightforward (use the '*' next to the Import>WPL button in the main GIMS IV interface and select use IDE, make changes and re-export), but I can give you more detail on that whenever you need it.

Hope that worked! If not, restore the original WPL and I'll walk you through working with WPLs with GIMS. (It's easier to simply get an entirely new model in-game BTW, haha).

Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Well, I must have chose the most difficult model in the game. I found cntstu only by the x y z coords...it is listed with the name unknown. I changed the 8 to a 0....still crashed. I reinstalled gta to only update to 1.0.4. Incase that was an issue. So maybe there is a diff route? Any way to take cntstu out of the game, and I just lay my model in the same spot? So it would be importing new instead of replacing?

Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:00 PM Edited by Androthia, 14 January 2013 - 12:17 AM.

Woohoo!!!! Apparently I'm a tard. In OpenIV just export the model as openformat to a folder, then import in GIMS as the openformat that was just expracted. Ugh, soooo obvious, and simple. Now I'm just having an issue with the textures, and I'm good. Btw....NO CRASHES!!!!

Ok, textures are good to go, everything is working perfectly! Just cant find one texture.,,,, the neon strips that wrap around the mines square cluckin bell builing.,,,,

Thanks so much for the help. Prepare for a new times square to start off with.,,,,

ddoodm
  • ddoodm

^_______________^

• Members

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Haha! Awesome, dude! Great job! Can't wait to see some of your new mods!! Happy modding!

Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Ok, found my neon strip, now a new question...I noticed that a couple of the nextures swapped as far as animation. One text that is supposed to animate, is stationary...and the texture that is to be stationary....is animating??? Like, the news ticker isnt moving, but the image on a billboard is now scrolling like the ticker should?!?! Neither texture has an "unk" if that has anything to do with it,.,,,,.

ddoodm
  • ddoodm

^_______________^

• Members

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:06 AM

QUOTE (Androthia @ Tuesday, Jan 15 2013, 01:54)
Ok, found my neon strip, now a new question...I noticed that a couple of the nextures swapped as far as animation. One text that is supposed to animate, is stationary...and the texture that is to be stationary....is animating??? Like, the news ticker isnt moving, but the image on a billboard is now scrolling like the ticker should?!?! Neither texture has an "unk" if that has anything to do with it,.,,,,.

That's odd. probably something to do with each face group's set I'D. Try swapping each mat's index in the multimat and on the mesh. Really not sure though.

Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Yeah, it's not the first model to do that. Both the CNTSTU01_DC9.WDR, and the TS_BRANDING4_DC9.WDR have swapped animated textures. I've tried swapping the ID's in the material editor, the faces on the model, the textures within the material item, and any other configuration I can come up with. It's really odd. I noticed when I originally downloaded the Viva New York mod, that there was a swapped texture on there as well...however, I just thought it was the modder who made a simple mistake. Now im starting to think that it's either my computer, or...heck I dunno. I'll keep fiddling with it.

Do you know how one would go about creating a custom animated texture? Maybe I could just go about re-animating it that way....Thanks!

GooD-NTS
  • GooD-NTS

OpenIV lead developer

• Members
  • Russia
  • Best Tool 2012 [OpenIV]

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (Androthia @ Friday, Jan 18 2013, 17:00)
Do you know how one would go about creating a custom animated texture?

You can't create or edit animations in GTA IV yet.
But you can remove animation from object by editing IDE file.

Androthia
  • Androthia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Well...I suppose that helps solve half the battle. Thanks...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users