Quantcast

» «
Photo

Doors/No Doors

13 replies to this topic
Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

Blind leading the deaf, leading the socially inept.

• Members

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

Don't know if anyone here has a Jeep that has been run without doors, but I feel like asking about it. Anyone here ever done it? I have heard that the feeling of no doors is awesome and that at the same time you get a feel for the speed you're traveling at.

Also, I was curious as to anyone else who has taken their doors off and driven around. I have to replace a speaker and do some touch up on the drivers door soon, and I wanted to drive around while it's off.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:54 AM Edited by Lurch, 06 January 2013 - 05:10 PM.

Did it all the time in my fiends CJ7.
user posted image
While it looks normal on jeeps and other military-style vehicles, It looks a bit odd on things without external door hinges. And they're much harder to get on or off on those as well. And notmal vehicles don't have the floor under the rocker like a jeep to keep sh*t from falling out.

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Not without doors per se, but my family used to have one of these here:

user posted image

I think that would be close to the feeling of having no doors.
The open air feeling is nice. Weird watching the road go by though.

Linc.
  • Linc.

16 5 5

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

I've been a passenger in a Mini Moke, that's about as close I've come.

It has a nice feel. People love convertibles because they feel like they give you more freedom, you can feel the wind in your hair and in all enjoy the ride more. I feel a lack of doors would only add to this experience. icon14.gif

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

• Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Sunday, Jan 6 2013, 05:40)
I've been a passenger in a Mini Moke, that's about as close I've come.

It has a nice feel. People love convertibles because they feel like they give you more freedom, you can feel the wind in your hair and in all enjoy the ride more. I feel a lack of doors would only add to this experience. icon14.gif

That's what I love about my buddies convertible Mustang, real bitch in the winter though tounge.gif I've been thinking of getting a Jeep for awhile, might have to do it now just for the experience...

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

This thread reignited my lust for a V8 Atom.

Linc.
  • Linc.

16 5 5

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

Caterham R500 is where it's at. tounge.gif

Burbalade
  • Burbalade

Ebay Wizard

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

How in the hell did this topic move from Jeeps with the doors removed to open top roadsters that don't have doors to begin with? That's entirely different, people.

No doors looks silly on a truck that's otherwise set up for mostly street use.

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Burbalade @ Monday, Jan 7 2013, 23:01)
No doors looks silly on a truck that's otherwise set up for mostly street use.

Doesn't look silly on a Wrangler or an old land cruiser. Would look extremely silly on something like your suburban.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:46 PM Edited by Lurch, 08 January 2013 - 04:52 PM.

I think Wranglers and FJ's fall under things that are actually set up for off road use, most just aren't used that way.

Burbalade
  • Burbalade

Ebay Wizard

• Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (The General @ Tuesday, Jan 8 2013, 16:06)
Doesn't look silly on a Wrangler or an old land cruiser. Would look extremely silly on something like your suburban.

Would depend. A new four door wrangler at stock height rocking some 22s with street tires and a hard top is going to look just as silly as my Suburban with the doors taken off, as both would be set up for mostly street use. Now if my fenders were all cut to hell to fit some 40" boggers, taking my doors off might not look quite as silly.

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

• Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE (Burbalade @ Tuesday, Jan 8 2013, 16:46)
QUOTE (The General @ Tuesday, Jan 8 2013, 16:06)

Would depend. A new four door wrangler at stock height rocking some 22s with street tires and a hard top is going to look just as silly as my Suburban with the doors taken off, as both would be set up for mostly street use. Now if my fenders were all cut to hell to fit some 40" boggers, taking my doors off might not look quite as silly.

I would call it redneck actually tounge.gif Buddy of mine recommends it as he runs his Dodge Ram Charger with no doors for all sorts of occasions and loves the great outdoors. Still thinking of getting a Jeep though...

Burbalade
  • Burbalade

Ebay Wizard

• Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (Ronnyboy @ Wednesday, Jan 9 2013, 05:30)
I would call it redneck actually

Well it goes along with pure off road function over original form or highway safety.

Call it redneck, call it a trail vehicle, call it an off road vehicle, doesn't really matter. It is what it is.

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

• Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (Burbalade @ Wednesday, Jan 9 2013, 02:31)
QUOTE (Ronnyboy @ Wednesday, Jan 9 2013, 05:30)
I would call it redneck actually

Well it goes along with pure off road function over original form or highway safety.

Call it redneck, call it a trail vehicle, call it an off road vehicle, doesn't really matter. It is what it is.

Oh I know, if you had it all stock and threw some mudders on with no doors, I'd be more inclined to call it that. But for what you have, I'd say it's a capable off roader

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users