Photo

San Andreas won't recognize my saves?

11 replies to this topic
Starchamoose
  • Starchamoose

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

I recently reinstalled San Andreas on Steam. In the san andreas user files located in my documents, it keeps my save files, so that's good. But when I open the game and try to load my save games, it instead brings me to the opening cutscene with CJ at the airport.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

After reinstalling did you delete the gta_sa.set file?

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

I've done some searching and found a little save editor. Apparently, older save games that were created some years ago aren't compatible with the Steam version hence why they need to be converted. I found the San Andreas Save Game Editor which apparently can help in your case. Watch out though, you need Java 6 or higher in order to run the program (download here in case you don't). Now, after you've downloaded the program, open the folder and you'll find there 7 files. Move them all in your main San Andreas directory (the place where the gta_sa.exe is located). Now, run the editor.jar file and click on Load (top corner left zone); select the save file you want to load and click it. Now, on the General Tab you can see 4 options at the top, right under the "It is recommended that you backup your savegame files now and then." line. Now, edit it like this:
  • Version ID: 2.00 Unmodified EXE
  • Script version: 2
  • Current IPL version: 1
  • Convert IPL version: 2

Then click Save and choose the slot you want to save it in (I'd put it in a different slot just in case). You should then be able to load the save file you just saved.
WARNING: Do NOT edit anything else besides what I told you to do, otherwise you might mess up your save game and won't be able to run it again.

That's kinda everything. Delete those 7 files of the Editor after you've done everything and tested if you can load your save file. In case you find it too difficulty, try sending your save file to me and I could do it for you. Upload it here. Good luck. icon14.gif

Starchamoose
  • Starchamoose

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (miromiro @ Thursday, Jan 3 2013, 19:31)
I've done some searching and found a little save editor. Apparently, older save games that were created some years ago aren't compatible with the Steam version hence why they need to be converted. I found the San Andreas Save Game Editor which apparently can help in your case. Watch out though, you need Java 6 or higher in order to run the program (download here in case you don't). Now, after you've downloaded the program, open the folder and you'll find there 7 files. Move them all in your main San Andreas directory (the place where the gta_sa.exe is located). Now, run the editor.jar file and click on Load (top corner left zone); select the save file you want to load and click it. Now, on the General Tab you can see 4 options at the top, right under the "It is recommended that you backup your savegame files now and then." line. Now, edit it like this:

• Version ID: 2.00 Unmodified EXE
  • Script version: 2
  • Current IPL version: 1
  • Convert IPL version: 2

Then click Save and choose the slot you want to save it in (I'd put it in a different slot just in case). You should then be able to load the save file you just saved.
WARNING: Do NOT edit anything else besides what I told you to do, otherwise you might mess up your save game and won't be able to run it again.

That's kinda everything. Delete those 7 files of the Editor after you've done everything and tested if you can load your save file. In case you find it too difficulty, try sending your save file to me and I could do it for you. Upload it here. Good luck. icon14.gif

Thanks!

Starchamoose
  • Starchamoose

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Uh oh. Another problem has arisen!
When I try to save my game by overwriting one of the save slots, the game crashes. Clean game, just reinstalled, no mods.

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Hmm, that's strange. Make sure to remove the gta_sa.set file located in the San Andreas User Files folder. By the way, do you get any kind of error when the game crashes?

Starchamoose
  • Starchamoose

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

No, it just freezes. I have to alt tab out and use task manager. I'll try deleting the .set file now.

XxCopHunterxX
  • XxCopHunterxX

Drifter In Training

• Members

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

You could try using Win98 compatibility mode, and running as administrator. Let us know what happens then.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

Apparently, older save games that were created some years ago aren't compatible with the Steam version hence why they need to be converted

That's not really true, as I have had the Original DVD version since it came out in June 2005(Bought in June 2005 from Wal-Mart #990) and have had many saves from it, then I got the Steam version(V3) in October 2011 when it was on sale, and all my old saves work and load excellent without converting....The ONLY saves I have to convert are the V1 saves from the Chain Game which were created before SnP Uploader/Downloader had the "Auto Convert" feature built in...I even made a topic about this as well..Here is that topic.. confused.gif tounge2.gif

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

The crash was probably because of the savegame editor. While older savegames work with newer game versions, the editor might've screwed something up because it doesn't know v3. Have you tried starting a new game just for the sake of testing saving the game?

Spartankicker
  • Spartankicker

since taxis were introduced in gta iv,"grand theft auto&quo

• Members
  • Algeria

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (Spider-Vice @ Saturday, Jan 12 2013, 15:18)
The crash was probably because of the savegame editor. While older savegames work with newer game versions, the editor might've screwed something up because it doesn't know v3. Have you tried starting a new game just for the sake of testing saving the game?

change the picture of that woman please. she is undressed

Use the PM feature for such stuff. Don't go off-topic, please. - Girish

Krawk
  • Krawk

Peon

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

Version 3.1.4 of the saveeditor is available now - properly detects steam version.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users