Lost

58 replies to this topic
GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

So I'm out of shows to watch, The Walking Dead won't be back until Feb and I never been a Sons of Anarchy fan.. but I was curious about the show Lost and if it's actually worth getting into? If so, I know it's alot of catching up to do.. I have it paused in the beginning of Episode 1 where he's finally discovered the plane and people running around crazy. Should I continue?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

Oh man. You just discovered my favorite show of all time. Continue. Definitely. It's amazing. It's unlike anything you've ever seen.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

I shall continue now! Thanks.. is it suspenseful though? I like shows that piss me off until I see the next episode because of the excitement.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:32 AM Edited by GTAvanja, 02 January 2013 - 12:42 AM.

QUOTE (GunWrath @ Wednesday, Jan 2 2013, 02:27)
I shall continue now! Thanks.. is it suspenseful though? I like shows that piss me off until I see the next episode because of the excitement.

The show is build on suspense and cliffhangers. If you only knew how hard it was waiting for the next season. Every season finale was a mindf*ck. It's all about mysteries and what the f*ck is going on on that island. And just when you think you have it figured out they surprise you.

Too bad you missed all the theories and discussions that went on when the show originally aired. The internet made that show into an unforgettable journey. It made people feel like a part of the show with all the hidden websites, official quizzes and tests etc. It was freakin' huge.

I only fear that now when the show is over, you won't be getting the full experience. All the stuff that went on online was just as much a part of the show if you ask me. God I miss all that stuff. Good times.

And whatever you do, avoid spoilers. Do not look for anything LOST related now when the show is over. LOST spoilers have a potential to ruin everything.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Seems like it.. I remember family and people in my life always talking about it. But I was always pushing the show away as if they were just mindf*cked. I shall give this a try then! I never been a real big TV person but since getting hooked on The Walking Dead, I've been looking for more shows to get into.. or perhaps it just comes with age, I don't know.

Thanks for the info and I'll definitely keep you posted with my experience.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

is Lost overrated?
be honest.

I've never seen it, but people either love it or hate it. there's almost no middle ground. I hear "it's great" and "it's terrible" depending on who I ask.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

So far, there are some likable characters. I also noticed it's written and directed by JJ Abrams? I never knew that. He has quite the creative mind. This might be a show that takes acouple episodes to hook you.. It's keeping me watching, so maybe it is good. I'm quite picky on shows & movies.

Flynny
  • Flynny

16 5 5™

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jan 2 2013, 00:53)
is Lost overrated?
be honest.

I've never seen it, but people either love it or hate it. there's almost no middle ground. I hear "it's great" and "it's terrible" depending on who I ask.

Lost was a terrific show, one of the best network shows in the past decade, imo the only network show I liked more was 24.
Lost can grab you and hook you if you let it.

However the ending was sh*t, I think they wrote themselves into a corner being too clever so only one ending was possible and it was the ending that anyone with half a brain could predict from day 1, which is disappointing for a show with as many twists and turns as lost had.

is it the best show ever written - of course not
is it close- probably not

but it is better than 99% of TV shows both then and now

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

well someday I still think that I want to sit down and watch Lost.
so I've tried to ask people about it. what did they like? the characters? the plot? the writing?

most just say something like "there's so many twists and turns! you never know what's what! you never know who's who! it's crazy!"
and so... I dunno. people can't usually describe Lost or even describe what exactly they like about it. it's just "OMG PLOT TWISTS."

and so sometimes I wonder; a super-complex story with tons of convoluted twists and turns doesn't necessarily mean a show is good. sometimes I think that it literally fools people into assuming a show is good because they can't actually figure it out lol.gif

Flynny
  • Flynny

16 5 5™

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jan 2 2013, 01:37)
well someday I still think that I want to sit down and watch Lost.
so I've tried to ask people about it. what did they like? the characters? the plot? the writing?

most just say something like "there's so many twists and turns! you never know what's what! you never know who's who! it's crazy!"
and so... I dunno. people can't usually describe Lost or even describe what exactly they like about it. it's just "OMG PLOT TWISTS."

and so sometimes I wonder; a super-complex story with tons of convoluted twists and turns doesn't necessarily mean a show is good. sometimes I think that it literally fools people into assuming a show is good because they can't actually figure it out lol.gif

the plot twists are good
the characters are good too - most of them, locke is amazing, sawyer is great and ben is porbably one of the best characters I have seen in a TV show, hurley is also pretty funny at times

Firefly8000
  • Firefly8000

The Harwood Butcher

• Members

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

I'm with GTAvanja in saying it's also probably my favourite TV show of all time, emotional drama, interesting characters, excellent plot twists & mythology that'll make your head spin! Well worth all 6 seasons imo. If you're into uncovering secrets about secret things, you're gonna enjoy this. Just stay away from spoilers.

@NateShaw92, How was the ending predictable from Day 1? You thought that the island would end up being run by a guy that's over 2000 years old and that all the passengers of flight 815 would be candidates to take control of the island? And that the island would end up being the source of essentially the world's power? You've got a good brain.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:50 AM Edited by GTAvanja, 02 January 2013 - 12:05 PM.

@El_Diablo: It's the characters. The story and setting are all great. Mysteries are fun and all, but it's the characters that drive this show. Even though I wanted to know the answers to all the mysteries, I was more invested in the actual characters and what happens to them. You just can't avoid falling in love with them. Especially the relationships they develop with each other. Every character has a sort of a duo with another character that is just so awesome to watch. In the first season the most interesting duos are Jack and Locke and Sawyer and Kate. And it only gets better in later seasons because they all go through some often drastic changes and realizations.

@GunWrath: you will probably get hooked by the end of 4th episode (The Walkabout).

There is another incredible thing about the whole plot of LOST. The actual plot was secretly revealed in the first episodes of Season 1 when Locke was explaining the game of Backgammon to Walt. And for 5 years nobody knew how important that scene was. That's because the original idea for LOST was to be a miniseries.

Did they screw up in the end? I used to think so because when you watch it one episode a week, you end up with your own expectations. So when it all ended I was a bit disappointed because it wasn't the ending that I expected. Then I realized that I don't know what I expected, and the show was never what I expected to begin with and that's what I love about it. When I watched the whole show again, knowing what's coming made me realize that there is nothing wrong with the ending.

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

I absolutely loved this show. I may be in the minority but i thought the ending was great. It had me crying like a baby. You'll enjoy the journey even without the fan speculation, trust me. I binged on the series on Netflix for a couple of months and was completely captivated by the story and characters. Definitely stay away from searching anything Lost related online though. That said, when I was watching the final season I searched for episode reactions after I finished each one and still felt like part of the community. Entertainment Weekly usually had good write-ups and speculation if I recall correctly

Flynny
  • Flynny

16 5 5™

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (Pagelzilla @ Wednesday, Jan 2 2013, 15:28)
I absolutely loved this show. I may be in the minority but i thought the ending was great. It had me crying like a baby. You'll enjoy the journey even without the fan speculation, trust me. I binged on the series on Netflix for a couple of months and was completely captivated by the story and characters. Definitely stay away from searching anything Lost related online though. That said, when I was watching the final season I searched for episode reactions after I finished each one and still felt like part of the community. Entertainment Weekly usually had good write-ups and speculation if I recall correctly

well I admit my impression of the ending was tarred by the fact another one of my shows ended in the SAME WAY just a few days ago.
so was kinda a been there done that got the t-shirt thing

and why netflix? you can get the same service free through various other sites
also you get the complete series, in my experience of netflix they only had the first 4 seasons of 24 and lost - not good enough

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (NateShaw92 @ Wednesday, Jan 2 2013, 08:47)
QUOTE (Pagelzilla @ Wednesday, Jan 2 2013, 15:28)
I absolutely loved this show.  I may be in the minority but i thought the ending was great.  It had me crying like a baby.  You'll enjoy the journey even without the fan speculation, trust me.  I binged on the series on Netflix for a couple of months and was completely captivated by the story and characters.  Definitely stay away from searching anything Lost related online though. That said, when I was watching the final season I searched for episode reactions after I finished each one and still felt like part of the community.  Entertainment Weekly usually had good write-ups and speculation if I recall correctly

well I admit my impression of the ending was tarred by the fact another one of my shows ended in the SAME WAY just a few days ago.
so was kinda a been there done that got the t-shirt thing

and why netflix? you can get the same service free through various other sites
also you get the complete series, in my experience of netflix they only had the first 4 seasons of 24 and lost - not good enough

You're experience with Netflix must be several years ago when those shows were still on the air. They have every episode of both 24 and Lost. The only shows that usually are missing seasons are shows that are still on air. Like right now you can watch the first two seasons of the Walking Dead but not the third, which is reasonable, since they make a lot of money off of places like iTunes and Amazon where you can buy individual episodes the day after it airs.

As for a show similar to Lost. Abrams also created Fringe, which I think is a superior show. It's not a straight up continuous story like in Lost, they follow a formula similar to the X-files (another great show to watch), where there is a overall main story arch, and in between there are episodes involving smaller stories that usually connect in some way to the main arch. But the story is interesting, the characters much more endearing than lost, and there's plenty of mystery and little easter eggs (look out for the "Observer" he's usually somewhere hidden in each episode).

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

I'm doing a catchup with Lost myself, as I got up to the end of season 5 and haven't seen Season 6 yet and and with there being such a huge gap in my memory I'm having to go back to the beginning and watch it from the start, which to be honest might be a good thing as 'previously's' will still be fresh.

But as for what made Lost such a great series is actually made up of several things:

1) The characters were finely crafted individually, usually in TV shows they have a habit of tuning a select couple of characters who are the 'leads' but in Lost nearly everyone was a lead character so each one was crafted finely so as not to make small leads, that's why each episode was described as a Locke episode or a Kate episode. But even within those character specific episodes the others wouldn't over looked.

2) The story lines, nicely written episodes which to seem to flow better as even though there were a lot of writers given credit, it seemed that the core writers still had the control over the story so it was a tighter story than most US shows. Now I'm being specific with US shows as UK shows tend to be written by one or two writers only, no staff writers, and a lot of UK shows excel in their writing standards, this I think made the show such a hit as it hit that fine balance between the US style staff writing system and the UK style core writing system.

3) Flashbacks, until Lost US networks hated Flashbacks and would almost actively shun any writer who attempted it (odd episode here and there), thanks to Lost (and in part ABC) the stigma is now broken, again broken record here UK TV networks are fine with Flashbacks and always have been and now thanks to Lost the US networks are now open to it.

And once I've caught up with Lost, I'll move on to Fringe as I've caught the first season, but not seen it since (Curse you Sky TV)

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I'm at Episode 8 so far.. and I'm enjoying it. Really like the characters and the story is sometimes like notify.gif but easy to follow. I do recommend this for anyone who was on the fence about it. I used to be as well but I can't stop watching it.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

I'm so f*ckin' jealous of all the people who are just now watching it. I want to forget it so that I could watch it with all that excitement again.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

You could run at full speed, bang your head against the wall, perhaps lose all memory from the past decade and re-watch it. turn.gif

Finished Ep 8 about 39mins ago, I'm going into Ep 9 around when I get something to eat. smile.gif

•ΏF‘ρρ4L‘ƒ£?•
  • •ΏF‘ρρ4L‘ƒ£?•

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Lost? Well I never watched the whole show, But god damn the first night it aired, that first episode, it reeled me in hook, line and sinker, god f*cking damn that was a good series to start with, the whole winning the lottery, then his house burning down, it was really odd and interesting at the same time, I couldn't believe it.

I tuned in and out throughout the series after watching the first season and it got a little weird later on. But yes, definitely keep watching the first episode (if you haven't already...I see that you have haha.

Yeah the first season of episodes go down very quickly

hayden11
  • hayden11

The Originator

• Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Just watch the first three seasons, after that it was painful to watch. I mean, Said getting resurrected and all that other crap.. pitiful..

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

You guys made me want to watch it. Lol
I got to Episode 3 of Season 1 and now I'm addicted. wow.gif

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Saturday, Jan 5 2013, 16:31)
I'm so f*ckin' jealous of all the people who are just now watching it. I want to forget it so that I could watch it with all that excitement again.

if you want, I could beat you over the head with a brick until you forget where you are.
that would probably do the trick.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

I just have one question: Is the ending really that bad?
My mum said that after she saw the ending, she felt like the whole show was a huge waste of time.
I've just finished Episode 5 of Season 1 now, where Jack sees his dad everywhere and sees his empty coffin.
Is she right?

Flynny
  • Flynny

16 5 5™

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

is the ending bad? yes imo
does it make the whole show a waste? No, but I can see why that opinion exists, given it is story-driven. But it is still a good ride to get to the end, even if the end is disappointing. Like a roller-coaster that makes that last incline, you think there is gonna be one last dip, one huge dip and there isn't you get off after the incline. But does that make the rest of the roller-coaster ride a waste? of course not! same goes here, and no i was not making an analogy

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Sunday, Jan 6 2013, 11:16)
Lost? Well I never watched the whole show, But god damn the first night it aired, that first episode, it reeled me in hook, line and sinker, god f*cking damn that was a good series to start with, the whole winning the lottery, then his house burning down, it was really odd and interesting at the same time, I couldn't believe it.

I tuned in and out throughout the series after watching the first season and it got a little weird later on. But yes, definitely keep watching the first episode (if you haven't already...I see that you have haha.

Yeah the first season of episodes go down very quickly

Spoilers!!
You're lucky I just watched that.
That was what Episode 19 of Season 1 was about, be careful with spoilers. smile.gif

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:28 PM Edited by theomenofficial, 26 January 2013 - 03:33 PM.

Half Life 1 was in Episode 21 of Season 1.
http://i.imgur.com/8OlLwM5.jpg?1

I just finished Season 1.
Best show of all time! wow.gif

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:20 AM Edited by Chukkles, 05 February 2013 - 02:25 AM.

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Saturday, Jan 26 2013, 15:28)

It truly is a great series.
The ending can be seen as good or bad (the idea of it is beautiful but the execution may be we're the problem lies) but the struggles and strife to get there are the most entertaining in any TV show I've ever seen.

Lost at its best is just unbeatable.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (Chukkles @ Tuesday, Feb 5 2013, 03:20)
QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Saturday, Jan 26 2013, 15:28)

It truly is a great series.
The ending can be seen as good or bad (the idea of it is beautiful but the execution may be we're the problem lies) but the struggles and strife to get there are the most entertaining in any TV show I've ever seen.

Lost at its best is just unbeatable.

Thanks for the info. icon14.gif
Anyway, I just started Season 3! wow.gif

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

When it first aired there were no preconceptions, and we never expected too much. People now who have never really seen the show feel like they are pressured to love it. I've heard people knock it without even watching a single episode.

As the others have said, don't read any spoilers about the show. In fact I would stay away from anything Lost related online. By starting late you'll miss all the rumors and theories that circulated as the show ran which is a shame. I suppose it takes away a little of the suspense too if you can watch the next episode without waiting. I remember being so tired at school because I had stayed up to download the latest episode straight after it aired in the states.

I'd love to start all over again, but I doubt I could truly enjoy it in the same way because now I know everything.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users