Quantcast

» «
Photo

Are you an organ donor? Cremation or burial?

80 replies to this topic
Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Friday, Dec 28 2012, 21:23)
QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Friday, Dec 28 2012, 19:59)
Nope, don't want to be an organ donor.
When I die, my sh*t is mine, not some yobbo who's smoked for forty years, f*cked up his lungs and wants mine, or an alcoholic who wants a new liver, or some obese guy who wants whatever the f*ck he wants from me.

Besides, if a zombie apocalypse was ever to happen (it won't but you never know) I'd want in on the ground floor.

Then there's this too.

That's another f*cking dumb argument because it assumes a pessimistic and loaded view of the recipient. Organs are very difficult to come by, so the people who need a donation are ordered by a number of factors that include not just severity/immediacy but the current and past health/habits of the recipient. Your donation is pretty much always going to go to someone who is truly in need because of an unavoidable condition than someone who is looking four a Round 2 because of bad health habits.

The more I listen to you non-donor morons, the more I realize how vapid and uninformed you all are.

Some facts for you from this site: http://www.womenshea...an-donation.cfm

Experts suggest that each of us could save or help as many as 50 people by being an organ and tissue donor.

Each day, about 77 people receive organ transplants. However, about 18 people die each day waiting for transplants that can't take place because of the shortage of donated organs.

Donation does not change the appearance of the body. Organs are removed surgically in a routine operation. It does not interfere with having a funeral, including open casket services.

So get on the donor list you vapid, self-involved, uninformed f*cks.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

For such a champion of helping your fellow man you sure are being a big meanie right now. I feel like my concerns are valid, you didn't have to be a big jerk about it, sheesh. PM me a digital pamphlet or something before you call me an uninformed moron. My body is my vessel right now, it's the thing I'm using to be mobile and live life in. It's kind of like my existence car, when you grow attached to a literal car and you end up having to sell it there still can be an attachment to it even though it's not in your possession, you want to know that the new owner will take care of it at least, you know? I hope that analogy was better than the homophobia one lol.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE (matajuegos @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 01:43)
I'd want to be cremated, because being buried is way too bad, imagine if you suffer from catalepsy and you are buried alive?

Being burned alive is somehow better?

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 06:03)
I'd want to be cremated, because being buried is way too  bad, imagine if you suffer from catalepsy and you are buried alive?

So here I am at 6AM, discussing the pros and cons of being burned or buried alive. Well Stu, I certainly didn't see it heading this way old boy.

I guess if you were burned alive, it would at least be over fairly quickly, and people might hear your screams. So they might be able to save you, you'd suffer horrifically and look like a melted candle but you'd be alive at least. But if you were buried alive you'd be trapped for longer and it would feel so claustrophobic. You'd still be in a casket if you were being cremated, unless you were really poor, but it wouldn't feel as claustrophobic because you wouldn't be underground.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 03:14)
I'd want to be cremated, because being buried is way too  bad, imagine if you suffer from catalepsy and you are buried alive?

So here I am at 6AM, discussing the pros and cons of being burned or buried alive. Well Stu, I certainly didn't see it heading this way old boy.

I guess if you were burned alive, it would at least be over fairly quickly, and people might hear your screams. So they might be able to save you, you'd suffer horrifically and look like a melted candle but you'd be alive at least. But if you were buried alive you'd be trapped for longer and it would feel so claustrophobic. You'd still be in a casket if you were being cremated, unless you were really poor, but it wouldn't feel as claustrophobic because you wouldn't be underground.

I don't know stu. I certainly think it would be horrible to be burned alive, even if you happen to survive.
But you can get buried with a cellphone in case you do wake up. Although reception might not be so good.
You can always be buried in one of this:
user posted image

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

f*ck you, I want to keep my guts!

But seriously, I never thought of it until filling out the application for a driver's license, and I just wanted to get out of the DMV as fast as possible so I panicked and took the easy route of no. I might change it one day.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

Well if we're talking about hypothetical devices which prevent terrible and unfortunate deaths, what about a fire extinguisher being installed in the (furnace?). I don't know what they'd call a cremating thing, furnace seems wrong somehow. Or a button installed in the casket which automatically turns off the fire in the furnace. Like you said I'm not sure a phone would actually work 6ft underground, and let's face it that bell ringing device would be vandalised by teenagers the exact second your ceremony finished. They'd probably dig you out, beat you up, then bury you alive again.

Actually now that I think about it, maybe getting cremated alive would be worse. Because the sheer physical pain would be awful, whereas being buried alive is more psychological trauma. Still, I'll take my chances and go with a cremation.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (OdDsOcK @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 00:35)
When I die, my sh*t is mine, not some yobbo who's smoked for forty years, f*cked up his lungs and wants mine, or an alcoholic who wants a new liver, or some obese guy who wants whatever the f*ck he wants from me.

Besides, if a zombie apocalypse was ever to happen (it won't but you never know) I'd want in on the ground floor.

Then there's this too.

The more I listen to you non-donor morons, the more I realize how vapid and uninformed you all are.

Did you really need to get so harsh about it? It's really uncalled for. It's a personal choice, and for the time being I choose to be a non-donor.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 19:52)
It's a personal choice, and for the time being I choose to be a non-donor.

Well then, don't come crying to us when you need an organ and find that too many people were thinking the same way as you.

A loaded rifle
  • A loaded rifle

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

If I don't want to give away my organs when I die, I don't have to. It's my god given right to decide what happens to my body after I die, and if I want a natural way to decompose into the earth, so be it

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

Why do we even give people the option? If you're dead we can do whatever we damn well please with your corpse.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

I want to be cremated, then laced with some purple. Then have all my friends and family smoke me.

cool.gif

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 06:14)

[...]I guess if you were burned alive, it would at least be over fairly quickly, and people might hear your screams. So they might be able to save you, you'd suffer horrifically and look like a melted candle but you'd be alive at least. But if you were buried alive you'd be trapped for longer and it would feel so claustrophobic. You'd still be in a casket if you were being cremated, unless you were really poor, but it wouldn't feel as claustrophobic because you wouldn't be underground.

Seem you all could have a Party with the body displayed for three days or so.
We could call it a wake, as the ship of life has sailed.
However, what with Embalming I would think that would ensure the body is a corpse. smile.gif

I wonder though isn't there a Religion that requires the 'dead' body be disposed of before sundown?
Now that's scary.

Remember, at least one Religion makes money on renting burial ground. icon14.gif

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (zoo3891 @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 02:04)
I want to be preserved, maybe in the future they'll have found a way to revive people and replace their bad parts with robotic parts.

This doesn't sound right. If the brain dies then any resurrection they could perform wouldn't be the same you, I don't see how especially if you lose your memories.

I would personally donate my organs to science as well but I don't know how I could opt for that. I was originally thinking about full cremation but I guess there's no harm done in donating my "parts".

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (Melchior @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 00:51)
Why do we even give people the option?

because religion.

people want to go to heaven in one piece wink.gif

matajuegos
  • matajuegos

2 Years in the forums!!! I MISS YOU ZEE

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Yes, the body just feels like 3 seconds of pain and then "shuts off" however, if you are buried alive you feel the lack of oxygen, your heart rate accelerates, you want to scream, it's very painful and if you have your cellphone with you, I don't think people would believe you, they would think it was a cruel joke and turn off the phone/hang up

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (matajuegos @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 10:52)
Yes, the body just feels like 3 seconds of pain and then "shuts off" however,[...]

I don't know about that.
A Semi ran into a toll booth.
The driver was screaming for a good fifteen minutes while he burned before he stopped.
The Trooper refused to shoot him.

Nebby
  • Nebby

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (GunWrath @ Friday, Dec 28 2012, 19:06)
Like homosexuals, I don't walk and give each one of them a hug and high five and say, "you go girl!".. but it doesn't mean I'm homophobic person.. I'm just not a social person like that. Get my drift?

"homosexuals" makes you sound homophobic, though. tounge.gif Gay is actually the preferred word.

Dingleman
  • Dingleman

SA:LC Mod Leader

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'm a registered donor. I find the thought of my body needing a transplant when there's no donors available more scary than the thought of not being around to see my body be a donor itself.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 07:14)
QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 19:52)
It's a personal choice, and for the time being I choose to be a non-donor.

Well then, don't come crying to us when you need an organ and find that too many people were thinking the same way as you.

Well, just to validate my point a little, I'm kind of an asshole so I'd be ok if say a child or a beloved community member got the organ I needed instead and I'd just accept my fate chalking it up to karma as I've acquired some bad mojo over the years.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 11:21)
Yes, the  body just feels like 3 seconds of pain and then "shuts off" however,[...]

The driver was screaming for a good fifteen minutes while he burned before he stopped.

Nah, that was just air escaping.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Anything 80's

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:52 PM Edited by Andreaz1, 29 December 2012 - 04:01 PM.

QUOTE (matajuegos @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 11:52)

Yes, the body just feels like 3 seconds of pain and then "shuts off" however, if you are buried alive you feel the lack of oxygen, your heart rate accelerates, you want to scream, it's very painful and if you have your cellphone with you, I don't think people would believe you, they would think it was a cruel joke and turn off the phone/hang up

The only way a burn can be painless is if you burn deeply enough to kill the nerves which feel the pain (which is why burn victims sometimes don't feel any pain btw). That sure won't happen within three seconds in a normal fire. And that's just the skin, I don't even know what would happen if it went deeper than that, I've never heard of something like that happening.

Sure your heart rate accelerates as you realize you have been buried alive. From what I've read before writing this, the only way you can feel the lack of oxygen is nausea and dizziness as your brain is being starved of the oxygen it needs to function. I have a faint remembrance of someone, be it real or on TV (I like watching medical shows), saying losing conscientiousness like that is virtually painless and would feel like falling asleep and I think that makes sense as I think about it. monocle.gif

You know, unless you rev yourself up to the point where you have a heart attack or something which I can imagine may just happen if you have been buried alive.

Also, has anyone ever tested for real if you will even have any reception literally 6 feet under, should you happen to have your phone with you?

Sorry for my off topic, please continue.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

I am an organ donor and happy to be one. The way I see it is if my death has somehow saved someone's life, it wouldn't have been in vain.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:06 PM Edited by GunWrath, 29 December 2012 - 06:11 PM.

QUOTE (OdDsOcK @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 00:35)

Then there's this too.

That's another f*cking dumb argument because it assumes a pessimistic and loaded view of the recipient. Organs are very difficult to come by, so the people who need a donation are ordered by a number of factors that include not just severity/immediacy but the current and past health/habits of the recipient. Your donation is pretty much always going to go to someone who is truly in need because of an unavoidable condition than someone who is looking four a Round 2 because of bad health habits.

Some facts for you from this site: http://www.womenshea...an-donation.cfm

Experts suggest that each of us could save or help as many as 50 people by being an organ and tissue donor.

Each day, about 77 people receive organ transplants. However, about 18 people die each day waiting for transplants that can't take place because of the shortage of donated organs.

Donation does not change the appearance of the body. Organs are removed surgically in a routine operation. It does not interfere with having a funeral, including open casket services.

Dude, give it a rest. You act as if you're better than everyone that doesn't donate a f*cking organ. If you don't like us, then by all means.. quit f*cking replying in this topic.

How is it pessimistic, selfish, childish or ignorant not to give a organ? That makes no sense to me. You'll be awaiting your dissection in a meat freezer with a simple number on your toe while the pessimistic, selfish, moronic people like ourselves are either buried in peace or cremated chilling on a mantle or floating down the river or blown in the wind. It's not that we don't want to help anyone, like I've said before, it's a choice. There is no "debating" nor arguing that fact. Sure people die everyday, it's f*cking life bro.. people die. Mourn, move on and live your life the way you want.

I have no issues about y'all donating organs, I think that's mighty wide of you.. quite heroic actually. Leave it at that man.. quit turning this topic into a heated topic. It's actually a decent topic that should pick the brains of actual opinions, not start heated debates or arguments.

The more you try and argue your side of the debate.. the more moronic and lost you sound, pal. sarcasm.gif Just give it a break. Before you bust a blood vessel.

"homosexuals" makes you sound homophobic, though. tounge.gif Gay is actually the preferred word.

lol, Well gay, didn't mean to step on any toes. Good looking, Method. icon14.gif

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I said I was an organ donor for the time-being. I haven't ruled-out becoming a donor in the future. I just want to make sure my organs would be going to good people who genuinely need them. I would be pissed if my lungs when to a chain smoker with cancer, or if my liver went to an alcoholic.

If someone gave me a contract stating my organs would go to sick children or people who can't help what happened to them, I would gladly sign it.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 15:41)
QUOTE (lil weasel @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 11:21)
Yes, the  body just feels like 3 seconds of pain and then "shuts off" however,[...]

Nah, that was just air escaping.

With him screaming 'kill me, kill me'? Articulated air escaping...

Anyway... If organ donors are really needed, why don't they harvast the organs on death row? Or breed people for organs?
There's been some nice sci-fi books and a few movies on the subject.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 18:13)
If someone gave me a contract stating my organs would go to sick children or people who can't help what happened to them, I would gladly sign it.

And what if they didn't?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 19:28)
Anyway... If organ donors are really needed, why don't they harvast the organs on death row? Or breed people for organs?

Because, y'know, there are laws that forbid it.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Id wish my body to be embalmed...i mean how cool is that really? Most well known embalmed bodys are Lenins and one of the best preserved ones the previous and also the one of Pirogov. The last ones body wont go under many preserving operations, because the embalming is so perfect. It is said only dust is cleaned of his body. I mean, that really is cool...but i guess expensive too biggrin.gif

A J
  • A J

Damned Brotherhood [DAMN]

• Members
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

I'm not a registered organ donor, or is it the case I am now, I'm not sure how it works in this country now, do we now have to sign off the donor list??? (Sorry if it's already been mentioned in the topic)

I think personally think developmental biological technology will lead to us no longer needing organ donors, but being able to develop organs ourselves within laboratories. It's very controversial, much like test tube babies were once.

I've not given any thought about my own organs, if I'm dead I'm sure my loved ones, can decide what to do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users