Quantcast

» «
Photo

Are you an organ donor? Cremation or burial?

80 replies to this topic
WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

I was having a heated debate with a friend about this today. He said he wanted his body donated to science and then having the scraps cremated.

I am not an organ donor and want a burial. I just get queasy thinking of someone cutting me open and taking out my insides. Sure, I'll be "gone" when this is happening, but I find it demeaning. I want a burial so that my body will decompose and be given to nature as a gift. Plus, there's always the possibility of resurrection (an inevitable human achievement), so as long as my skeleton is still around, I could be re-animated. I fear death and want to live as long as I can, so that thought is comforting to me.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 08:18)
I find it demeaning. I want a burial so that my body will decompose and be given to nature as a gift.

Such bullsh*t.

No sense making the lives of ~10 people needlessly shorter when you die. I want as much of me chopped up and put in other people. Corneas, skin, heart, lungs, liver, anything that is still usable.

Cremate whats left, stick that in the ground.

I've told my family I'll haunt the sh*t out of them if they nix my wishes (apparently even if you're on the register and done all the legalities right, all it takes is a sentimental next of kin to stop your organs being donated[?])

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

Though I understand your fear of death, as many people fear it. But death is inevitable, you should learn to embrace it.. especially when that time comes (hopefully of old age and natural causes).

As far as giving my body to science.. pfshshsfpspshhhh.. No way.. just for some f*cktard med student to dice me up, see what a liver looks like and then dispose of me. At first I wanted to be buried the traditional way but the more I think about it.. I want to be cremated in a medieval sense, on top a stack of logs, in a king like final lay.. torch me and put my ashes in an empty Jack Daniels bottle and sit me on the mantle.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (Jay @ Friday, Dec 28 2012, 17:56)
QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 08:18)
I find it demeaning. I want a burial so that my body will decompose and be given to nature as a gift.

Such bullsh*t.

No sense making the lives of ~10 people needlessly shorter when you die. I want as much of me chopped up and put in other people. Corneas, skin, heart, lungs, liver, anything that is still usable.

Cremate whats left, stick that in the ground.

I've told my family I'll haunt the sh*t out of them if they nix my wishes (apparently even if you're on the register and done all the legalities right, all it takes is a sentimental next of kin to stop your organs being donated[?])

Trust me, I WANT to be an organ donor, but I just can't push myself to do it. My dad is a funeral home director and he said he doesn't recommend it.

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

I'm with Jay. Giving a damn about your body and what happens to it after you're dead is just selfish and stupid, man. I honestly don't care if some creepy mortician decides to take my dead body home and use it as a buttf*cking buddy, because I'll be dead and so will my body. It won't feel pain or embarrassment or anything, so why should I care?

I am an organ donor because, just as Jay pointed out, people are in desperate need of organs and there is a lot of our bodies that people can use. Why should I hoard it during the time I am no longer around to realize that I am hoarding something? If I had to decide what to do with my body, I would like to donate it to science and then maybe have it buried after it's all used up.

Not wanting to be a donor because you think that it is demeaning for someone to use your body to help others by cutting it open is the most ridiculous form of vanity.

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

I want to be preserved, maybe in the future they'll have found a way to revive people and replace their bad parts with robotic parts.

If I'm not rich enough to have that done I want my body to be made available to anyone who wants to use it for anything (I would have a problem with sex, not that anyone'd want to do that though), science, organ donation, decorative skin lamps, whatever.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (OdDsOcK @ Friday, Dec 28 2012, 18:02)
I'm with Jay. Giving a damn about your body and what happens to it after you're dead is just selfish and stupid, man. I honestly don't care if some creepy mortician decides to take my dead body home and use it as a buttf*cking buddy, because I'll be dead and so will my body. It won't feel pain or embarrassment or anything, so why should I care?

I am an organ donor because, just as Jay pointed out, people are in desperate need of organs and there is a lot of our bodies that people can use. Why should I hoard it during the time I am no longer around to realize that I am hoarding something? If I had to decide what to do with my body, I would like to donate it to science and then maybe have it buried after it's all used up.

Not wanting to be a donor because you think that it is demeaning for someone to use your body to help others by cutting it open is the most ridiculous form of vanity.

form of vanity? No, it's a choice. Some people don't want to give up their body and it's their right. It doesn't make them wrong in any sense. Do you think they gave their hearts, livers, kidneys back in BC days? Nope, because that wasn't even possible, but nowhere in the bible, (if you're Christian or any other religion) does it state that giving an organ makes you a great person or NOT giving an organ makes you someone with huge vanity. Nor have I ever heard someone go well you're just stingy for keeping your organs. I'm not a donor, but it's not because I don't want to help people, I just rather be buried or cremated with every bit of flesh and blood that I had all my life. It's my body.. right? sarcasm.gif

Like homosexuals, I don't walk and give each one of them a hug and high five and say, "you go girl!".. but it doesn't mean I'm homophobic person.. I'm just not a social person like that. Get my drift?

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:12 PM Edited by EscoLehGo, 28 December 2012 - 11:15 PM.

I'm not sure what I want done with my body but I know I don't want to be cremated and I don't want to donate my organs. I'd be frozen if I could but that sh*t costs a lot of money right now, maybe it'll be more widely available in the distant future. I know it's kind of illogical to give a f*ck about that happens to your dead body since you'll be, well, dead but I don't want my precious innards being handed out to strangers so they can live longer on an already over populated planet. I'd rather do something more a long the lines of maybe being resurrected later so I could troll people/aliens in the future.

@GunWrath did you just make an analogy of posthumous organ donation with homophobia? Is this the company I have as a non organ donor? Maybe I should switch sides.

4 Bagger
  • 4 Bagger

Malapropos

• Members

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

When I sent off for my provisional license, they asked me if I wanted to donate my organs once I die and they noted that my insurance would be cheaper if I did so. I thought this was bribing but I did it nonetheless.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

Organ donor, once I die my organs are up for grabs, I signed up for this when I was 16, and again when I was 18 when I moved to Uni, any organ of mine in good nick should go to who needs it, no reason not to, since i won't need it, it's only logical, if they break it then tough that's down to them and the administrators that said "yep he gets the liver" If I was alive i would give it to somone I trust but I'll be dead... dead as a can of spam
My right lung will be off the list as that has collapsed twice but leftie is ok icon14.gif
and other organs, no real issues. except for my brain because I am insane, and by name is wayne and I like pain and I walk with a cane and I drive train down the drain towards a plane to meet john McClane to grow some grain for the King's main and his servant Bane who is so vain and I like the rain. *snaps out of trance*

And then after that cremation, my mum was cremated, me gran will be cremated... plus don't fancy being buried, i know I am dead so this is illogical but i am claustrophobic - kinda, mildly I guess. and plus don't want to take up space

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Anything 80's

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 00:02)
and he said he doesn't recommend it.

I'm intrigued. Why?

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

form of vanity? No, it's a choice.

A vain choice. Choices can be described with adjectives you know.

Some people don't want to give up their body and it's their right. It doesn't make them wrong in any sense.

That's up for debate. I find it selfish, and I'll explain why.

Do you think they gave their hearts, livers, kidneys back in BC days?

Totally beside the point.

nowhere in the bible, (if you're Christian or any other religion) does it state that giving an organ makes you a great person or NOT giving an organ makes you someone with huge vanity.

If you're looking to holy books for your sources of morality, you may want to walk away now. Morality is not determined by thousand year old scrolls, and if that is what you are basing your argument off of, it can be dismissed by anyone who disagrees with whichever text you purport has the final say on organ donation. However, if you would like some quotes from the Bible about donation, I can oblige you with this entire list. I'll quote one for you from that site: But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? (John 3:17)

Nor have I ever heard someone go well you're just stingy for keeping your organs. I'm not a donor, but it's not because I don't want to help people, I just rather be buried or cremated with every bit of flesh and blood that I had all my life. It's my body.. right?

Now it is, but when you are dead, it will no longer be your body. You will no longer be a citizen of your nation, an inhabitant of our world, nor even of our universe. You will be gone. Your body will no longer be yours, but just a body, a conglomeration of dead and dying parts and pieces. This is why people recognize that even though they might see your body and associate it with who you were, they don't think you are alive or in that body anymore. The pilot has left the vessel.

The bottom line is that when you are dead, you have literally everything to give with no expense to yourself. Because you are dead you will not miss anything and you will not be adversely affected by anything because you will no longer exist, at least not in any corporeal form. Retaining ownership over something while you are dead while someone else could use it, especially something as desperately needed as a healthy organ, is then just selfishness. It is a choice, but a choice that benefits literally nobody. It does not benefit you, because you will be dead, and it does not benefit the sufferer, because they will not receive what your body has the chance to give them. So, you are literally choosing that either nobody gets anything, or that one person (at least one for these purposes; a person can donate multiple organs) gets something.

And the reason being? OP thinks it's "demeaning," as if being a floppy cold dead corpse isn't already strange and morbid enough. You are telling me that is not selfish at all? I cluck my tongue at you.

Like homosexuals, I don't walk and give each one of them a hug and high five and say, "you go girl!".. but it doesn't mean I'm homophobic person.. I'm just not a social person like that. Get my drift?

I want to say I get your drift, but that is a terrible and completely unfitting analogy. You don't have to open and active, especially in such a patronizing manner, to support gays or even be indifferent to their lifestyle. You also don't have to parade yourself around when you become an organ donor. You just have to check a box or two and then wait around until you die, easy as that. If this is your best argument, I have to say I'm pretty secure in my convictions.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Just think about it.
You are involved in an accident.
When you arrive at the hospital you're identified as an organ donor.
How much money are you worth to the hospital as a donor, as compared to a patient?
Then there's the donation to 'Medical Science'.
Has anybody looked into how a corpse is stored in a medical school?
Imagine a bolt through your skull, or a meathook in the mouth, while the body is submerged in a pool of preservitive.

Diggdydog
  • Diggdydog

Trick

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

Ah who gives a f*ck? Sure, I love my body and all that, but I'm much happier knowing that it would be helping other people. After I'm dead I have no use for it anyway. biggrin.gif

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

Nope, don't want to be an organ donor.
When I die, my sh*t is mine, not some yobbo who's smoked for forty years, f*cked up his lungs and wants mine, or an alcoholic who wants a new liver, or some obese guy who wants whatever the f*ck he wants from me.

Besides, if a zombie apocalypse was ever to happen (it won't but you never know) I'd want in on the ground floor.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:03 AM Edited by GTAvanja, 29 December 2012 - 01:07 AM.

I think it's about f*ckin' time we stop burying corpses. Precious land is being used to store dead people. That is some primitive sh*t, and if you actually use your brain as much as you think you do, you'll realize that it's ultimately meaningless.

Why do people think that burial is the only way to respect the dead or show condolences or whatever? You can accomplish the same thing by organizing a memorial ceremony. You don't need a dead body. On the other hand, other people might need some parts of it. And if someone close to you dies, wouldn't you find some comfort in knowing that a part of that person saved someone's life?

I will donate my organs to people and my body if the scientists need it. Because I certainly won't have any use for it, and neither will anyone from my family. What the f*ck are they gonna do with my corpse?

And before anyone asks if I would have a problem knowing that someone is messing with the body of a person I cared about, especially my SO. Yes, I would have a problem. It would be very uncomfortable to think about that. But that shouldn't be a problem. I shouldn't be uncomfortable. We should work on eradicating this ridiculous belief that dead people need to be preserved in order to show our respect and love for them. It should be the other way around. People should be honored to donate their organs and their bodies once they leave this world, and we should be proud of how many lives our loved ones helped save after they've departed.

And I know this radical change would be hard to accomplish because current belief runs so deep and it's been a part of our mentality for as long as civilizations have existed. And now some punk like me comes along and says that we should get rid of cemeteries and donate our bodies to science. I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

anyone who's not an organ donor is a selfish dick.

I mean really.
you're dead. you don't need that sh*t anymore. give the gift of life to someone who can benefit from it.

I'm an organ donor on my drivers license and my living will states that my body can be chopped up as necessary.
cremate what's left and give it to my family to spread somewhere beautiful. that's how you do it.

plus who the hell wants to be buried? talk about depressing.
shove you in a box. put the box in the dirt under a tacky stone tablet. within about 100 years the box and your remains are worm food anyway and the stone block is slowly eroding away. to hell with that.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE (4 Bagger @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 00:38)
When I sent off for my provisional license, they asked me if I wanted to donate my organs once I die and they noted that my insurance would be cheaper if I did so. I thought this was bribing but I did it nonetheless.

While the license application does let you choose whether or not you want to be an organ donor, there is no way in which your choice will affect your car insurance premiums.

First and foremost, any car insurer has no idea whether or not you are a donor to begin with. Also, even if your insurer did know whether or not you are a donor, there is absolutely no research (or plausible causality) regarding the effect of your donor status on your risk to the car insurer, so there is no incentive for them to distinguish between donors and non-donors in any way. Furthermore, there are strict laws in place preventing the trading of organs for money so any policy giving monetary discounts for being an organ donor would quickly come under scrutiny.

Whoever told you organ donation would affect your premiums is outright lying...it wouldn't even make sense.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

I think when I pass I just want to be cremated and i'm not sure whether I would want to donate anything.

4 Bagger
  • 4 Bagger

Malapropos

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 01:46)
QUOTE (4 Bagger @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 00:38)
When I sent off for my provisional license, they asked me if I wanted to donate my organs once I die and I thought they noted that my insurance would be cheaper if I did so. I thought this was bribing but I did it nonetheless.

While the license application does let you choose whether or not you want to be an organ donor, there is no way in which your choice will affect your car insurance premiums.

First and foremost, any car insurer has no idea whether or not you are a donor to begin with. Also, even if your insurer did know whether or not you are a donor, there is absolutely no research (or plausible causality) regarding the effect of your donor status on your risk to the car insurer, so there is no incentive for them to distinguish between donors and non-donors in any way. Furthermore, there are strict laws in place preventing the trading of organs for money so any policy giving monetary discounts for being an organ donor would quickly come under scrutiny.

Whoever told you organ donation would affect your premiums is outright lying...it wouldn't even make sense.

F*cks sake. I meant to put "I thought" they noted and "would". I put a whole paragraph before I wrote that and deleted most of it but didn't read through what I'd written. Stupid phone. I must look like a right dumbass now. sarcasm.gif

Nonetheless I'm an organ donor because I don't read things properly and a piece of evidence of this is not even reading over what I'd written. blush.gif

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

No worries, I was just concerned there was some terrible rumour about car insurance...as if there aren't enough of those already. lol.gif

4 Bagger
  • 4 Bagger

Malapropos

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 02:03)
No worries, I was just concerned there was some terrible rumour about car insurance...as if there aren't enough of those already. lol.gif

Plenty of dodgy f*ckers out there, especially car insurance "companies". I very rarely do anything online or I try to leave it to other people to sort things for me online. Not that I'm useless with computers, just that there is always a chance of someone trying to screw you over.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Friday, Dec 28 2012, 19:59)
Nope, don't want to be an organ donor.
When I die, my sh*t is mine, not some yobbo who's smoked for forty years, f*cked up his lungs and wants mine, or an alcoholic who wants a new liver, or some obese guy who wants whatever the f*ck he wants from me.

Besides, if a zombie apocalypse was ever to happen (it won't but you never know) I'd want in on the ground floor.

Then there's this too.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

Organ donor with plans for cremation. D'ah...

4 Bagger
  • 4 Bagger

Malapropos

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

A part of me wanted to be an organ donor as it could help someone massively and I obviously won't be needing them when I die, but then there is another part of me that suggests the person getting my organs doesn't deserve them; as they may have abused their body their entire life and just get my organs and repeat the process of f*cking them up and needing more new ones. Also, they are my organs if that sounds selfish or not. I don't really like the idea of my body being chopped up but I suppose I'll be dead.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • European-Union

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

I want to be cremated. Then my ashes can be put to good use, such as sitting on a mantlepiece in an ugly urn for a long period of time, then being flushed down the toilet by my kids when my widow finally dies.

Getting buried is horrible, you could be dug up hundreds of years later by Tony Robinson and his strange unintelligible friend, poking you with a trowel and gesticulating wildly.

I'm not saying whether I'm an organ donor or not. All I'm going to say is I think people who brag about it like they're Jesus Mk.II and bash people who don't want to be an organ donor need to get a grip and respect people's choice, and to get off their high horse.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE (4 Bagger @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 02:29)
A part of me wanted to be an organ donor as it could help someone massively and I obviously won't be needing them when I die, but then there is another part of me that suggests the person getting my organs doesn't deserve them; as they may have abused their body their entire life and just get my organs and repeat the process of f*cking them up and needing more new ones. Also, they are my organs if that sounds selfish or not. I don't really like the idea of my body being chopped up but I suppose I'll be dead.

Yea dude, that's part of my problem with being an organ donor too. How are we so sure that the people who end up getting the organs are really so deserving of life? What if they're assholes or undercover pedophiles or just terrible people and we're just extending their reign of terror by giving them our organs? I'm not sure how the waiting list for organs work, is there an aptitude test they have to take to determine if they're a douchenozzle or not?

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Friday, Dec 28 2012, 21:38)

Yea dude, that's part of my problem with being an organ donor too. How are we so sure that the people who end up getting the organs are really so deserving of life? What if they're assholes or undercover pedophiles or just terrible people and we're just extending their reign of terror by giving them our organs? I'm not sure how the waiting list for organs work, is there an aptitude test they have to take to determine if they're a douchenozzle or not?

Exactly, I don't want my organs going to people who are irresponsible.

I will admit, that IF there was a way to guarantee my organs would go to sick kids or people who didn't give themselves lung cancer by smoking, I would be an organ donor. I would need it in writing, though, a contract maybe?

matajuegos
  • matajuegos

2 Years in the forums!!! I MISS YOU ZEE

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

I'd want to be cremated, because being buried is way too bad, imagine if you suffer from catalepsy and you are buried alive?

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 03:29)
QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Friday, Dec 28 2012, 21:38)

Exactly, I don't want my organs going to people who are irresponsible.

I will admit, that IF there was a way to guarantee my organs would go to sick kids or people who didn't give themselves lung cancer by smoking, I would be an organ donor. I would need it in writing, though, a contract maybe?

Honestly I couldn't care less who gets my organs. I won't be using them, and if it saves a couple of people (be it a little child, or a millionaire alcoholic who needs a liver) I'll be fine with that.

When I die I want to be frozen clutching a note. My body will be placed somewhere in Antarctica and the note will outline that I am a traveler from the future whose miscalculations landed him in this place. It will then go on outlining that the world will end on July 4th 2074.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users