» «
Photo

Textures bug on Android

45 replies to this topic
mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:48 PM Edited by mitchnorton, 14 December 2012 - 09:51 PM.

Has anyone else on iOS or Android seen how awful some of the textures look. Or is it just my device. An example is the wall behind Sonny in the opening cutscene, the Dakota hotel's signage, the fast food stalls in the Vice Point Mall. What's up with that? I'm running version 1.02 on a Samsung Galaxy S III (GT-I9300).
user posted image

And another thing, the reason I'm calling it a bug is because I think these incredibly low-res textures are linked to this bug which is causing the red rug in Tommy's hotel room to flash checkerboard pixels:
user posted image
user posted image

I am using highest display settings (Brightness=65%, Draw Distance=100%, Screen Resolution=100%, Visual Effects=Max, Dynamic Shadows=On, Subtitles=On, Frame Limiter=On). I haven't tried other settings yet.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Seeking and Destroying since 1997...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

You think that's a bad texture? Get a load of my Downtown Ammu-nation!

user posted image

lol.gif

mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

Are you getting the rug bug? LOL, rug bug!

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

http://db.tt/fq2GCHHx

I've been uploading all my screnshots to the above public folder on dropbox.

My dakota sign does look a little bit better... I approached at sun up and that sign is a neon sign... Looked great lit up so i wonder if the textures of it are related to the neon.

I went to hotel and the rug was flickering but not like yours... Screenies were not capturing it.

This is my Galaxy S3.... Display settings are shown in screen shot in above folder... No where near maxed.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

The only texture problem I've encountered is a Bloodring Banger's checkered rooftop flickering in and out of transparency.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

It's probably up to each phone's GPU, it probably "optimises" it automatically. The textures bug is probably due to that too, some incompatibility.

mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Friday, Dec 14 2012, 22:58)

My dakota sign does look a little bit better... I approached at sun up and that sign is a neon sign... Looked great lit up so i wonder if the textures of it are related to the neon.

I went to hotel and the rug was flickering but not like yours... Screenies were not capturing it.

This is my Galaxy S3.... Display settings are shown in screen shot in above folder... No where near maxed.

I'm guessing you have the american model, based on your low display settings. Your dakota sign is looking how it should.

metakn1ght
  • metakn1ght

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

QUOTE (mitchnorton @ Saturday, Dec 15 2012, 01:00)

I'm guessing you have the american model, based on your low display settings. Your dakota sign is looking how it should.

'American model'? What kind of logic is that?

metakn1ght
  • metakn1ght

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

I haven't had a chance to fiddle with the Vice City mobile version, but from your settings it seems like you have
the game set on a lower resolution? That would be a largely contributing factor to low quality textures
and 'jaggies'

mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:52 AM Edited by mitchnorton, 15 December 2012 - 05:57 AM.

QUOTE (metakn1ght @ Saturday, Dec 15 2012, 04:59)
QUOTE (mitchnorton @ Saturday, Dec 15 2012, 01:00)

'American model'? What kind of logic is that?

You don't know much about phones? The "American model" is the dual-core/4G model that is inferior in performance to the quad-core/hsdpa international model. That's why I'm thinking he has the american model because my international model can easily run it maxed out. And besides, you say I'm probably running at a low resolution BASED ON MY SETTINGS! Did you even read my f*cking settings? It says SCREEN RESOLUTION=100 per-f*cking-cent!!! What kind of logic is that? And anti-aliasing is not an option so don't even mention jaggies. What you see in my screens is the best resolution you can get out of this game.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:11 PM Edited by Spuds725, 15 December 2012 - 03:17 PM.

Alright-- no reason to bite his head off-- I didn't know the differences either.

And yes-- I live in the US.

I will try maxing out my settings and will take some more screenshots.... like I mentioned though, it's still a 4 1/2" screen---the jaggedness you see on the screenies is not at all visible on the phone itself (at least to my crappy eyes wink.gif )

Did anyone see the part of my post in the "google play" thread??

I also was messing with my phone settings and found a developer settings screen that allows you to limit the number of processes running. This can help you conserve resources for the game. Just be sure to save before you switch to another app as the phone can close the game. It restores to default if you restart the phone.

This might help those who's devices are on the low side.

https://www.dropbox...... 10.09.56.png

Swiechu
  • Swiechu

Slavic Gun Nut

• Members

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

galaxy s2, i've got the same problem even on max settings:/

mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Swiechu @ Saturday, Dec 15 2012, 18:31)
galaxy s2, i've got the same problem even on max settings:/

I'm thinking that perhaps this is an issue with the Mali-400 GPU since both the S2 and S3 use this chip. Hopefully R* will fix it. I'll send this to R* support next week when I get back. And Spuds, I wasn't raging at him for his lack of tech knowledge, but for not reading my post properly.

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Getting the same low-res textures here on an SII. Not just the Dakota sign but many other textures as well. On the Oceanic it looks like the textures have been painted on with a huge brush.

Swiechu
  • Swiechu

Slavic Gun Nut

• Members

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

and the cars are mint but the wheels are low res.

mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

Ok scratch "some textures" After looking a bit closer I've realised almost all textures are crappy and low res. After asking around I've pretty much narrowed this down to Mali 400 devices such as the international versions of both the S2 and s3. Reviews on the play store show this issue prevalent on those devices but not on the American 4g S3's. Patch 1.1 has not fixed this issue.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Have you checked the 1.3 version yet-- I DLed last night but have not played it yet.

When I do, I will turn my settings up to max and grab some screens if you want--- let me know if there is any place special you want me to take pictures of.

Realize I am playing on an SIII in the US.... it IS a 4G phone but is wasted on me since Sprint doesn't have 4g where I live yet... hopefully soon.

For anyone that reads this that doesn't know this.... you can grab a screenshot on an SIII by pressing the "Home" (center middle button) and the power button simultaneously.

Spuds

mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Thursday, Dec 20 2012, 21:09)
Have you checked the 1.3 version yet-- I DLed last night but have not played it yet.

When I do, I will turn my settings up to max and grab some screens if you want--- let me know if there is any place special you want me to take pictures of.

Realize I am playing on an SIII in the US.... it IS a 4G phone but is wasted on me since Sprint doesn't have 4g where I live yet... hopefully soon.

For anyone that reads this that doesn't know this.... you can grab a screenshot on an SIII by pressing the "Home" (center middle button) and the power button simultaneously.

Spuds

1.3? You mean 1.1! That's the latest patch because the first two were 1.01 and 1.02, not 1.1 and 1.2! And on another note, I've gotten quite used to using the palm swipe gesture for taking screens now... lazy me XD

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

Yep, meant 1.03... My bad.

Palm swipe is next to impossible to do with my phone case.... confused.gif

mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:23 AM Edited by mitchnorton, 23 December 2012 - 01:39 AM.

QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Friday, Dec 21 2012, 04:21)
Yep, meant 1.03... My bad.

Palm swipe is next to impossible to do with my phone case.... confused.gif

R* support lists latest patch as 1.1, but Play Store says 1.03. Hmm confused.gif R* has been notified and my report has been sent off to War Drum. Hopefully 1.04 sees this fixed. I'd also love to see a 1.4 patch for GTA 3 that fixes all the graphical bugs on the S3.

EDIT: I can confirm that 1.03 does NOT fix this issue!

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:59 PM Edited by Spuds725, 23 December 2012 - 05:08 PM.

http://www.gtaforums...c=536760&st=240

Mitch.... I was looking through the modding section and saw some discussion about fixing the textures.... I was reading on my phone so didn't want to read the whole fhread that way.... But looked like some of them were throwing some ideas around on fixing them.... Certainly worth a look... See link above.... That is the page where the discussion on textures started.

Spudso

mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Great find spuds. gamerzworld states "The Android version will be like GTA3 where it downloads the files optimized specifically for your GFX chip". So evidently, there is a glitch in the system where when VC detects your phone has the mali 400 gpu it downloads the texture set it's assigned to, R* might have accidentally assigned a low-res texture set to the Mali chips. This makes sense as GTA 3 downloads the older vehicle models instead of the new ones from the Xbox version that have the chrome surrounds and the 3d engines.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

That makes sense-- I thought I read that some of them thought higher resolution stuff might be on the device and you would just have to unlock it.

Is it also possible that this was an issue with the initial release and that if you uninstall completely and re-download/install that it could install and/or unlock the higher resolution textures-- have you tried that yet?

My VC download was around 1.5 GB... If I recall my GTA III download was under half a gig.

mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Monday, Dec 24 2012, 02:08)
That makes sense-- I thought I read that some of them thought higher resolution stuff might be on the device and you would just have to unlock it.

Is it also possible that this was an issue with the initial release and that if you uninstall completely and re-download/install that it could install and/or unlock the higher resolution textures-- have you tried that yet?

My VC download was around 1.5 GB... If I recall my GTA III download was under half a gig.

1.5 GB on top of what I use everyday is a fair amount. I won't bother installing from scratch until the next patch comes out.

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

I've reintalled about 3 times now and it doesn't fix the textures. We'll just have to wait I suppose. Hopefull they'll fix both the Back Alley Brawl crash and the textures with the next patch.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (NCONiall @ Monday, Dec 24 2012, 08:20)
I've reintalled about 3 times now and it doesn't fix the textures. We'll just have to wait I suppose. Hopefull they'll fix both the Back Alley Brawl crash and the textures with the next patch.

Ok... thanks for info...

I've had a few "freeze ups" doing "dildo dodo"--- that mission has kicked my but--- either I crash the plane or video freezes up-- I have made it all the way to the last set of checkpoints and I crashed (me not the game).

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

I sent a support ticket to Rockstar a few days ago and they recently got back to me. Here's what they said:

Thank you for contacting Rockstar Support. We apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

We are currently investigating reports of certain textures possibly not displaying as intended on specific devices, most notably Galaxy S Series phones.

While we do not have an immediate fix, as it may require a game update, in the mean time, we would like to provide some general troubleshooting which may help resolve the issue.

----

While it is difficult to know what exactly is causing this particular issue, the best place to start would be to do a few things to free up some system resources on your Android. The first things that I would like you to do would be to reboot the device, clear the cache, and disable background apps. Details are below.

After that it provides a long list of possible solutions such as rebooting the device, clearing cache, reinstalling and closing background programs.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:05 AM Edited by Spuds725, 27 December 2012 - 12:11 AM.

that sounds like just a lot of blah blah.... the blurb would make the game run better but not help with the game installing the lower res texture files (or at least not enabling the right ones).

I've had decent results in freeing up resources by rebooting, going into setting>developer options>limit processes (select 2 or 3 at most)--- then going into task manager, killing whatever is running and then go to ram tab and clear memory....this will put me down to about 700 MB of ram being used (as opposed to my normal 1100)--- then I start the game which uses a couple hundred megabytes of ram--

There is also a CPU overlay you can enable that will display your CPU usage as you are playing the game--- I have not messed with that... but someone might want to see how the game effects that.

THis is all done on my galaxy S3--- I bought my kids Nexus (Asus) 7 tablets for Christmas that I am thinking of installing on to see how it does on that (and how it looks).

mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:27 PM Edited by mitchnorton, 27 December 2012 - 08:38 PM.

Yeah you think I haven't tried doing all of this generic troubleshooting R*? And who plays GTA3/VC on their Android device without closing other programs, seriously, it runs like sh*t otherwise! Also, WOW @ 1.1GB of memory used Spuds. My S3 only has 1GB of RAM (833MB accessible) and right now with all my usuals open and running in the background it's using 592MB of RAM. After clear mem it's using 402MB! The Tegra 3 quad-core chip in the Nexus 7 will run the game much smoother than your phone, since the game is not well optimised for your phone's gpu (Adreno 225). I've seen YouTube videos where the international S3 is smoother than the slightly more powerful Nexus 4 which run the Mali-400 and Adreno 320 GPUs respectively which is interesting because I have no doubt in my mind it's because the S3 is running the awful low-res textures whereas the Nexus 4 seemed to have all the right textures at a glance.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

In case you were interested..... This is a screenie of my RAM available screen-- phone running with processes limited to 2 in background... I don't hesitate to download apps so I get quite a bit of crap running in background--- facebook, 2 scrabble aps, email, gmail, yahoo mail, few weather and news apps with notifications enabled, etc.... when I first got the phone it was rare for me to go over 500 mb....

http://dl.dropbox.co...27-18-06-32.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users