Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

1,731 replies to this topic
HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:35 PM

Can I just say that Skullface was a bad villain? He was so under developed.
It's not like he did anything wrong, he wasn't really the generic villain. Anyone with the self awareness to call himself Skullface is already better than a generic villain.

But he was just disappointing.

Skull Face was still great in the tapes. The Code Talker interrogation tape is one of my favorites and James Horan has an amazing voice and delivery. A good actor can do wonders with a bad material, so that's perhaps why I have a higher opinion on the character than he really deserves.

The problem is that his performance in the cutscenes is like a complete opposite. Not even Volgin was this laughably hammy (WOULDN'T YOU AGREEEEE) and he really doesn't do anything in the game to properly challenge the hero. And they've set him up so well in Ground Zeroes... he has an interesting backstory, a decent motivation and a plan (putting the stupid magic parasites aside) and what he did to Paz and Chico was absolutely disgusting. All the makings of a solid villain were there, but squandered.

• Fallcreek likes this

Twang.
  • Twang.

F U L L Y A U T O M A T E D

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:45 AM

So it's been over a year since the game has been out and allot of us have probably finished it, in the long run how has the ending impacted you guys? Have you accepted it, did you go back to playing the game again? It left mostly everyone i know who played it salty and even i didn't touch it for a good long while, then came back did some Side Ops and it's been a while since i last played it, now about the ending.

I feel like the execution could've been better but all in all i've accepted it and it makes real good sense in the overall story arch, although i'm still pissed about how Konami says that the cut Episode has nothing to do with the overall story and it is complete, which infact it is not, Eli's arch was left unfinished with that Mission being cut, i'm saying what many have probably said but it's what it is, i'll probably go into more depth cause i love the franchise and i love talking about it a bit later,

so thoughts? have you went back to the 80's since it's release? or was the ending revelation to bitter to take another bite?

Personally, playing the game was probably my favorite gaming experience ever. I loved everything about the game. I could honestly say I couldn't find a flaw. You know, until I realized there was no ending. That was pretty rough. It kind of broke my feels for a minute. The way it 'happened,' I actually didn't realize the game was over until about a week later when I looked up why no new missions were showing up even after clearing out side ops. Once I saw that it was essentially over, I instantly turned off the PS3 and packed it away (I was in the process of moving, so don't take that as too melodramatic). I wasn't angry, I wasn't sad, I could hardly say I was disappointed because I so thoroughly enjoyed the game. That's probably the worst part. For a series that is so good at bringing the feels, ending it without ceremony was just awful.

I think I finished the game a little under 12 months ago, and I've had a few urges to play it some more, but I never do. I generally don't replay games right away, so this is no surprise. If I do ever play it again, it won't be for a few years when the experience might seem fresh again.

-RP-
  • -RP-

Producer

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:21 PM Edited by -RP-, 11 October 2017 - 05:36 AM.

This game just became available for FREE last Tuesday for PS+ users. I haven't play'd a MSG game since ps2 days. Anyway, all I can say is "WOW" barely in the game yet like 10% completion just got "Quite" as a buddy and I am blown away that this is free. The beginning was incredible, loved it felt tense, felt snakes pain, felt the dread as patients were being irradicated around me and really immersed me in the experience like a lot of other games wish they could.

The depth of the game is immense and deep, lots of menus and options and things to customize, do and manage. Really enjoying this game and not surprised because I know its done by the master of Konami. The game feels rich and so well polished, ah I see now 5 years to develop, and it shows beautifully.

Any other players out there that can give me tips without any spoilers. I am playing blind haven't watched any gameplay on youtube or anything, dont want to ruin the experience. Don't think I'll be touching GTA again for a while lol.

• Mister Pink likes this

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:04 PM

Here's 58 pages of discussion about that game...

http://gtaforums.com...e-phantom-pain/

You should find more than enough info in there :)

• Mister Pink likes this

-RP-
  • -RP-

Producer

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:24 PM

oh thanks, I went looking for a thread first but nothing popped up. 

• Mister Pink and Furry_Monkey like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:08 AM

I've gone ahead and merged the new topic with the original one ;)

I've only played the prologue. I really liked it and will pick up the full game at some stage. Never kept up with the series so I'm playing purely for gameplay and I couldn't give a rats about the story. No disrespect to Kojima or fans. I know people and it's their favourite series. Unfortunately, I missed out on it when I wasn't gaming much and I think I'm too far gone to go back and go through it all. 

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:55 AM

Never kept up with the series so I'm playing purely for gameplay and I couldn't give a rats about the story.

Good, because otherwise you'd be very disappointed.

• Mister Pink and ClaudeSpeed1911 like this

fashion
  • fashion

f*ck you microtransactions

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:17 AM

Well, I was in the minority that actually enjoyed the story quite a lot. It wasn't a masterpiece but only because it wasn't as good as the previous ones, doesn't automatically mean it was bad.

I hated Quiet though. I get it, they tried to squeeze a sexy babe into the game but using her in combat was kinda confusing. Her plot points weren't very well executed imo.

Dog was the best companion but he also made the game a walk in the park. I really need to replay the game someday and take a completely different approach. So much gear I barely touched.
  • ClaudeSpeed1911 likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

So much gear I barely touched.

What do you mean by this? Weapons or approach taken or just a lot of the game you missed out on?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

The game becomes incredibly easy once you unlock buddies. You don't even have to upgrade your equipment at that point. My suggestion is to never bring buddies with you unless you want to replay missions later on to get 100%. That goes for some of the equipment as well. Terribly balanced game.

fashion
  • fashion

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

What do you mean by this? Weapons or approach taken or just a lot of the game you missed out on?
Both. I haven't even completed every single mission after the main act of the game. I already put tons of hours into it and had other games to play so I dropped it and wanted to return later.
I wanted to try these missions where you spawn "naked" and have to pick up weapons as you play. It's a thought I had before I even knew those missions were available.

I usually tried to go full stealth with a more powerful gun for emergencies when spotted, but it usually made me run away and hide until the search stopped. I know I haven't touched quite a few guns.

Barely touched some of the gadgets, companions such as that robot thing, vehicles and I don't remember what else. I did try some different things occassionally but stuck to one main approach most of the time. It's a game where you can go crazy with finding more creative ways to finish missions. It's what I intend to do when I come back. Think I'll start fresh or replay the missions from the beginning using my existing save.

Tracksuit Hitman
  • Tracksuit Hitman

I'm feeling Supersonic

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

Although MGS is inevitably going to go down-hill now, I'll give the game another bash - who would pass it up for free? I've never played it on the PS4, only the PS3 and XB1, so might as well snag some trophies. 

It wasn't the best, no, but it wasn't the worst, either. Was it the worst MGS thus far? No, MGS Acid was. Even Portable Ops was pretty crap after an hour.

I'll probably give the classics a go after TPP. I still think the first MGS game, on the PS1, was the best. 

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:34 PM

I tried it I hated the intro like get the f*ck off the floor already,
Their are ghost demons chasing me? No thanks

It's just not for me but I tried it.

fashion
  • fashion

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

I tried it I hated the intro like get the f*ck off the floor already,
Their are ghost demons chasing me? No thanks

It's just not for me but I tried it.

The rest of the game is nothing like the intro. It's one hour you need to force yourself through. I personally liked it but understand when people don't like all that wackiness.
There is more "weird stuff" going on here and there but I don't think it would take away from the overall experience.

I think you're giving up too early. You might enjoy the actual game despite not liking the intro. I have to admit, the intro feels like an entirely different game when compared to the rest of the experience. Can't guarantee you'll love it but you haven't gotten to to the main meat of the game yet.
  • deadx23 likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

Both. I haven't even completed every single mission after the main act of the game. I already put tons of hours into it and had other games to play so I dropped it and wanted to return later.
I wanted to try these missions where you spawn "naked" and have to pick up weapons as you play. It's a thought I had before I even knew those missions were available.

I usually tried to go full stealth with a more powerful gun for emergencies when spotted, but it usually made me run away and hide until the search stopped. I know I haven't touched quite a few guns.

Barely touched some of the gadgets, companions such as that robot thing, vehicles and I don't remember what else. I did try some different things occassionally but stuck to one main approach most of the time. It's a game where you can go crazy with finding more creative ways to finish missions. It's what I intend to do when I come back. Think I'll start fresh or replay the missions from the beginning using my existing save.

Ah.. OK. Those things are good for me to know before playing. 

-RP-
  • -RP-

Producer

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:42 AM

I wasn't going to pay for it. But when I heard it was free I said "what the hell".  Don't regret it one bit. Playing through the missions is awesome and doesn't feel like a chore. Watching Quite snipe doesn't get old either lol

fashion
  • fashion

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:02 AM Edited by fashion, 11 October 2017 - 06:02 AM.

All this talk made me play Ground Zeroes last night. I forgot how fun this game was. The stealth simply feels amazing, the graphics are still outstanding and make my PS4 heat up like a rocket. I've reinstalled Phantom Pain too. I won't start from scratch though, I will replay the story missions first and do everything else that remains. The reason why my first playthrough took me so long is due to side ops.

Falling in love with this game all over again.

-RP-
  • -RP-

Producer

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

All this talk made me play Ground Zeroes last night. I forgot how fun this game was. The stealth simply feels amazing, the graphics are still outstanding and make my PS4 heat up like a rocket. I've reinstalled Phantom Pain too. I won't start from scratch though, I will replay the story missions first and do everything else that remains. The reason why my first playthrough took me so long is due to side ops.

Falling in love with this game all over again.

I may have to pick up GZ for my ps4....

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:17 PM

I unlocked Quiet which I was super excited for and then stopped playing because there wasn't anything else I was super excited for, and watching Quiet do my job better than me is only fun for a few minutes.

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 4 weeks ago

Although MGS is inevitably going to go down-hill now, I'll give the game another bash - who would pass it up for free? I've never played it on the PS4, only the PS3 and XB1, so might as well snag some trophies. 

It wasn't the best, no, but it wasn't the worst, either. Was it the worst MGS thus far? No, MGS Acid was. Even Portable Ops was pretty crap after an hour.

I'll probably give the classics a go after TPP. I still think the first MGS game, on the PS1, was the best. 

I wouldn't call Acid the worst one, it was different but fun.

Tracksuit Hitman
  • Tracksuit Hitman

I'm feeling Supersonic

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Tracksuit Hitman, 4 weeks ago.

Don't get me wrong, I had my fun with Acid back in the day, but it was one of the worst instalments, IMO at least. I've played all of the games, with the exception of Rising - I didn't pick that one up because I was never a fan of Raiden. Sons of Liberty was a great game, but I'd have enjoyed it more if Snake had more game time than Raiden. It was such a let down, only playing as Snake for 1 or 2 hours at most. 

I've been playing TPP again since my last post, and boy am I glad it was free for us. I doubt I'd have played it again otherwise. I knew I'd enjoy it, but I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I am. I sped through it on the XB1 so it's refreshing to be taking my time with it this time around.

I also like how the touchpad works on the PS4 version. A gimmick, but cool, nonetheless.

fashion
  • fashion

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 4 weeks ago

I didn't do a complete fresh start. I quickly re-learned the mother base mechanics and am going to continue building it up where I left off.

Since the game is set up like TV episodes, I'm gonna do one mission a day. Like this I can focus on other games too and spend 30 minutes-1 hour on MGSV in the evening.

I realized I haven't even completed a lot of missions. I'm at mission 35, 80+ side ops. I'm replaying missions starting with the prologue, currently at mission 3. Even though I saw the prologue for the third time now, it still kicks me like a f*cking bull.

I forgot just how good this game was. It's still an impressive game, even though it wasn't fully finished.
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users