Photo

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

510 replies to this topic
Shiggys
  • Shiggys

Biggu Bossu

• Members

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (Ryda King @ Tuesday, Dec 11 2012, 15:25)
If this is indeed MGS5, it looks...creepy. Well, at least it's a refreshing new change.

So many things here are dead giveaways too. The "old guy" has a bandage over his eye (same one as Big Boss), same beard and hair (plus color) of Big Boss, what looks like Volgin at one point, and what looks like Psycho Mantis at the end. Now someone please explain the giant flaming whale eating a helicopter.

By the way, I never played Peace Walker or Portable Ops. Are they important in the storyline?

This is all potentially someone messing with Big Boss' mind (notice at the end of the trailer, we can see a figure rising from the ground and floating above our protagonist... only a couple of people have been known to do this floating magic trick. The Sorrow, Psycho Mantis and Screaming Mantis). It's fair to think someone with the powers to control someone's thoughts and actions can very well manipulate a sequence of weird nightmares and personal hells into a character.

As for the flaming beluga whale? That's a part of this whole nightmarish sequence... also, it's a nod to Moby Dick. The whale is just there to draw connections and add the strangeness to the whole situation while the actual symbolism is that in Moby Dick, Captain Ahab (Big Boss) loses his arm to the whale and wears a hook... he then goes on a quest to try and achieve his lifelong goal in capturing the whale (Big Boss is trying to capture the Boss' vision of a free world for soldiers). The goal brings Ahab into a descent of madness (Big Boss pretty much loses his mind and cannot distinguish good from bad by the time Solid Snake is sent out to eliminate him and the Outer Heaven uprising).

It's reaching, but it makes a lot of sense. It's very possible that the plot of the fifth game will take heavy inspiration from the Moby Dick novel where Big Boss is recovering from injuries he sustained on a battlefield and that he wants to initiate the Boss' vision. This game could very well lead into the classic Metal Gear games.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Some are thinking Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain being Acts within MGS5 as a whole, which may be why Kojima feels he "isn't ready" to call it MGS5 yet. We may get another trailer with another title later.

The main reason why I had to consider them different is that Ground Zeroes was literally told to be the prequel to MGS5, meaning not part of it, as well as it being based on a free roam design and having multiplayer and more rpg and base building like Peace Walker. Not to mention that Geoff Whatshisface on spike, when announcing Phantom Pain said that it was not in any way related to any other development previously seen.

I mean why bother saying all that if it is not true.

It would make sense being the same game, if it is, neither of those titles are going to be the actual title of the game, it would just be Metal Gear Solid 5.

Besides, nothing in any way implies that MGS5 wouldn't be released much later, just because the graphics aren't amazing and them saying its running off current tech, doesn't mean it is going to be designed for them. Nothing is confirmed at this point.

All I know is that I want more f*cking info soon before I drive myself insane.

Shiggys
  • Shiggys

Biggu Bossu

• Members

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE (Daz @ Tuesday, Dec 11 2012, 23:59)
Some are thinking Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain being Acts within MGS5 as a whole, which may be why Kojima feels he "isn't ready" to call it MGS5 yet. We may get another trailer with another title later.

The main reason why I had to consider them different is that Ground Zeroes was literally told to be the prequel to MGS5, meaning not part of it, as well as it being based on a free roam design and having multiplayer and more rpg and base building like Peace Walker. Not to mention that Geoff Whatshisface on spike, when announcing Phantom Pain said that it was not in any way related to any other development previously seen.

I mean why bother saying all that if it is not true.

It would make sense being the same game, if it is, neither of those titles are going to be the actual title of the game, it would just be Metal Gear Solid 5.

Besides, nothing in any way implies that MGS5 wouldn't be released much later, just because the graphics aren't amazing and them saying its running off current tech, doesn't mean it is going to be designed for them. Nothing is confirmed at this point.

All I know is that I want more f*cking info soon before I drive myself insane.

Plans change over time.

I remember a long while ago, Kojima stated that Peace Walker and Rising were the "Metal Gear Solid 5 in him" meaning that both games were in a sense, MGS5.

Perhaps Ground Zeroes is just an act, as is Phantom Pain to make up MGS5. I have no problem with it considering it will most likely follow Big Boss and not Solid Snake post-MGS4.

However, I do really want to see a remake of the original Metal Gear games where you do play as Solid Snake when he's a rookie, fresh into his role as a member of Foxhound and is sent on the task of eliminating Big Boss.

Sure seems like MGS5/Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain is setting up to the confrontation between Big Boss and his cloned son. If so, then awesome.

AceHigh11
  • AceHigh11

Homie

• Members

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (Shiggys @ Wednesday, Dec 12 2012, 03:11)
Sure seems like MGS5/Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain is setting up to the confrontation between Big Boss and his cloned son. If so, then awesome.

icon14.gif

Shiggys
  • Shiggys

Biggu Bossu

• Members

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:11 PM Edited by Shiggys, 12 December 2012 - 07:22 PM.

Moby Dick Studio's Youtube channel. They've been making very short and cryptic videos these past couple days. Viral Marketing!

EDIT: Found a post on /v/ that I found to be relatively important. Kudos to the guy that figured this one out.

Yesterday I did some research on the phantom pain and found out some interesting sh*t. You need to read carefully for a bit to understand it. there is no tl;dr

>http://en.wikipedia....om_eye_syndrome
>"The phantom eye syndrome (PES) is a >phantom pain in the eye and visual >hallucinations after the removal of an >eye (enucleation, evisceration)"
Snake is experiencing hallucinations (the white flower petals in the trailer, maybe the giant whale is one too)

This is connected to the red words on the official site:
>http://thephantompain.com/
>Perceptions
>Experiences
>Removal
Since the removal of snake's eye has a large impact on his perception (duh) and experiences hallucinations
If this is true then it's very likely that the prosthetic limb is actually a diversion or troll or hallucination.
This is further supported by the fact that snake's hook for a hand in the trailer and that moby dick studios are related.
Since moby dick studios is a troll or diversion this would automatically mean the hook for a hand is also part of the troll/diversion

Also, the Youtube channel may or may not be legitimate. I have no way of knowing if it is or not but some people are claiming it's fake.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Shiggys @ Wednesday, Dec 12 2012, 19:11)
Moby Dick Studio's Youtube channel. They've been making very short and cryptic videos these past couple days. Viral Marketing!

Isn't that done by the same people who made that fake twitter feed?

CVG did an article on the Phantom Pain trailer, and raised the possibility that the bandaged guy might be Snake too (i.e. bandaged guy is a figment of Snake's imagination, created by the part of his brain with all the military training to get him moving and keep him safe). On piece of evidence they point to is that in the scene where Snake is looking at his false arm for the first time, the bandaged guy can be seen to the left of shot (same side of the screen as the arm) rubbing his own left arm, as if it were in pain.

Shiggys
  • Shiggys

Biggu Bossu

• Members

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (Staten @ Wednesday, Dec 12 2012, 19:24)
QUOTE (Shiggys @ Wednesday, Dec 12 2012, 19:11)

CVG did an article on the Phantom Pain trailer, and raised the possibility that the bandaged guy might be Snake too (i.e. bandaged guy is a figment of Snake's imagination, created by the part of his brain with all the military training to get him moving and keep him safe). On piece of evidence they point to is that in the scene where Snake is looking at his false arm for the first time, the bandaged guy can be seen to the left of shot (same side of the screen as the arm) rubbing his own left arm, as if it were in pain.

About the Youtube channel, people are already claiming it's fake, so I guess there's no reason to get excited over that.

However, about the bandaged guy theory you brought up just now: It's entirely plausible. Watch the scene in the trailer where Big Boss and several patients (and 1 nurse) are trapped and being shot at. All the bullets happen to miss Big Boss and we even see bandaged man get gunned down.

But wait... in the next scene, bandaged man is alive and picks up a gun, so there is definitely something up with him. He probably is a part of Big Boss' imagination then.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (Shiggys @ Wednesday, Dec 12 2012, 20:29)
[QUOTE=Staten,Wednesday, Dec 12 2012, 19:24] [QUOTE=Shiggys,Wednesday, Dec 12 2012, 19:11] Moby Dick Studio's Youtube channel. They've been making very short and cryptic videos these past couple days. Viral Marketing! [/QUOTE]

It's definitely fake.
It was made by some guy on 4chan.
The page where he said this was deleted though.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

"The latest Famitsu is teasing a surprising update on Metal Gear Solid for its next issue. This week's teaser page says that fans of the series can look forward to "something surprising" regarding Konami and Kojima Production's IP.

As far as we can tell, the notice doesnt' provide any hints as to what is planned.

The magazine will officially go on sale on December 20. But, as always, news will begin to leak out next Tuesday night.
"

Source: http://gamingeveryth...for-next-issue/

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

I'm so excited!
http://www.computera...etal-gear-ties/

Shiggys
  • Shiggys

Biggu Bossu

• Members

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (Zancudo @ Wednesday, Dec 12 2012, 21:17)
"The latest Famitsu is teasing a surprising update on Metal Gear Solid for its next issue. This week's teaser page says that fans of the series can look forward to "something surprising" regarding Konami and Kojima Production's IP.

As far as we can tell, the notice doesnt' provide any hints as to what is planned.

The magazine will officially go on sale on December 20. But, as always, news will begin to leak out next Tuesday night.
"

Good, it looks like we'll be getting the actual reveal by then. We all know it's another Metal Gear Solid game, but apparently it's going to surprise us? I'm looking forward to what the surprise is.

Everyone's got some fine theories out there, so I wonder what it could possibly be. I already think Psycho Mantis is very much involved in the trailer and that the bandaged man could possibly be Frank Jaegar/Gray Fox aka Cyborg Ninja.

Regardless of what it is, the other thing that was revealed a long while ago was that Solid Snake would be playing an important role in MGS5. Source.

So, it really has to be a mind blowing reveal then at this point. Something nobody really thought of when analyzing the trailer bit by bit.

Ryda King
  • Ryda King

Nevags Gordo Scrotorum

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

Good analysis and theory, Shiggys.

I'm starting to wonder if that's Solid Snake after the events of MGS4. We never did find out what happened after the grave scene (and the convo with Otacon after).

Shiggys
  • Shiggys

Biggu Bossu

• Members

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (Ryda King @ Thursday, Dec 13 2012, 08:12)

I'm starting to wonder if that's Solid Snake after the events of MGS4. We never did find out what happened after the grave scene (and the convo with Otacon after).

Here's a fun fact: MGS4 was originally meant to end with Old Snake and Otacon being executed and being labeled as war criminals.

A quote from Kojima:

"One of my ideas [for MGS4's ending] was that, since Snake and Otacon are breaking the law in order to fulfill their justice, I was thinking of having them turn themselves in, and for the sake of justice, they'd get convicted and executed by the law," he explained. "But all of my staff went against the idea, so I decided not to go with that."

Source.

It's no secret that Kojima really wants to kill off Snake. In fact, it's abundantly clear that at the end of MGS4, Snake only has a few months left to live his life. The whole point of Big Boss talking to Snake at the end there was for Big Boss to tell Snake to stop fighting and live the rest of his life his own way as a normal human being, as a free man.

So it's implied Snake dies sometime after MGS4 concludes........ but Kojima is bringing him back for MGS5 can really only mean two things:

1) Snake is coming back via prequel and/or cameo appearances in Big Boss' story arc.

2) Kojima is not a man of his word and MGS5 really does take place AFTER MGS4 and for some reason Solid Snake is a younger man again....(to me, this would be the very definition of copout/pathetic)

The only way Solid Snake is coming back is if he's in a prequel (which MGS Ground Zeroes and MGS5 ultimately are) or he's coming back for a remake of the classic MSX Metal Gear games. I cannot see Snake coming back post-MGS4, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:13 AM Edited by Zancudo, 13 December 2012 - 10:16 AM.

QUOTE (Shiggys @ Thursday, Dec 13 2012, 08:47)
It's no secret that Kojima really wants to kill off Snake. In fact, it's abundantly clear that at the end of MGS4, Snake only has a few months left to live his life. The The only way Solid Snake is coming back is if he's in a prequel (which MGS Ground Zeroes and MGS5 ultimately are) or he's coming back for a remake of the classic MSX Metal Gear games. I cannot see Snake coming back post-MGS4, it just doesn't make sense to me.

I agree. The only form of Solid Snake I can see after the events from MGS4, at the very most, is him as a dying sick old man. Not as the main playable protagonist, ever. Hideo, except for telling that he wants to bring Solid Snake back again in the game, he also said that he won't ever feature him as someone much younger than him (than Kojima). That makes me wonder, if "much younger" does include Snake from MG and MG2, or not and we'll get a remake of these two someday, on PS4/X720 presumably. There's no chance for Solid to be in Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain, considering he was just a kid when these two happen. Maybe mentioned, but not appeared physically.

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

user posted image

lol

Ryda King
  • Ryda King

Nevags Gordo Scrotorum

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Shiggys @ Thursday, Dec 13 2012, 08:47)
QUOTE (Ryda King @ Thursday, Dec 13 2012, 08:12)

Here's a fun fact: MGS4 was originally meant to end with Old Snake and Otacon being executed and being labeled as war criminals.

A quote from Kojima:

"One of my ideas [for MGS4's ending] was that, since Snake and Otacon are breaking the law in order to fulfill their justice, I was thinking of having them turn themselves in, and for the sake of justice, they'd get convicted and executed by the law," he explained. "But all of my staff went against the idea, so I decided not to go with that."

Source.

It's no secret that Kojima really wants to kill off Snake. In fact, it's abundantly clear that at the end of MGS4, Snake only has a few months left to live his life. The whole point of Big Boss talking to Snake at the end there was for Big Boss to tell Snake to stop fighting and live the rest of his life his own way as a normal human being, as a free man.

So it's implied Snake dies sometime after MGS4 concludes........ but Kojima is bringing him back for MGS5 can really only mean two things:

1) Snake is coming back via prequel and/or cameo appearances in Big Boss' story arc.

2) Kojima is not a man of his word and MGS5 really does take place AFTER MGS4 and for some reason Solid Snake is a younger man again....(to me, this would be the very definition of copout/pathetic)

The only way Solid Snake is coming back is if he's in a prequel (which MGS Ground Zeroes and MGS5 ultimately are) or he's coming back for a remake of the classic MSX Metal Gear games. I cannot see Snake coming back post-MGS4, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe he gets injured (arm blown off) somehow and some group captures him and keeps him alive? No idea.

I hate getting teasers like that and getting no info afterward. Especially one that cryptic and vague.

Shiggys
  • Shiggys

Biggu Bossu

• Members

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE (Ryda King @ Thursday, Dec 13 2012, 17:46)
Maybe he gets injured (arm blown off) somehow and some group captures him and keeps him alive? No idea.

I hate getting teasers like that and getting no info afterward. Especially one that cryptic and vague.

I seriously doubt its Solid Snake.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

http://www.reddit.co...d_the_messages/

Shiggys
  • Shiggys

Biggu Bossu

• Members

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Friday, Dec 14 2012, 16:10)
http://www.reddit.co...d_the_messages/

Good find!

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (Zancudo @ Wednesday, Dec 12 2012, 22:17)

"

Looks like it's not/may not be about The Phantom Pain. sad.gif
http://www.metalgear...nce-weekly.html

Shiggys
  • Shiggys

Biggu Bossu

• Members

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Sunday, Dec 16 2012, 23:11)
QUOTE (Zancudo @ Wednesday, Dec 12 2012, 22:17)

"

Looks like it's not/may not be about The Phantom Pain. sad.gif
http://www.metalgear...nce-weekly.html

Well, that's a little disappointing.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

FAMITSU ARTICLE TRANSLATED ON GOOGLE!
http://translate.goo...2F18026156.html

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:14 AM Edited by theomenofficial, 22 December 2012 - 12:18 AM.

NEW VIDEO UPLOADED BY JOAKIM MOGREN!
ONLY SOUND WAS CHANGED!

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Saturday, Dec 22 2012, 00:14)
NEW VIDEO UPLOADED BY JOAKIM MOGREN!
ONLY SOUND WAS CHANGED!

0:10 - Mantis theme from MGS1 playing... very noticeable notes start from 0:25.

Dat little floating nigga at the end of the trailer - it's Psycho, not The Sorrow! icon14.gif

Shiggys
  • Shiggys

Biggu Bossu

• Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Nothing new over the holidays.

Still, the alternate trailer was very chilling and I do like the possibility of Kid Mantis. I just wonder how they'll be able to fit him into this story.

Sakuya
  • Sakuya

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (Zancudo @ Saturday, Dec 8 2012, 08:10)
One thing that makes me think this is not Big Boss:

Is that at the end of the trailer, when a guard directs a flashlight at his right eye, he uses a hand to cover, like it was blinding him or something. That could mean, that his right eye is actually unbroken. It might be Big Boss' fourth clone! Or, I don't know...

And who's the guy who follows Big Boss/fourth clone in the trailer? The one with his head all in bandana.

Perhaps that's the 'phantom pain' the title refers to?

tenpennyisplainevil
  • tenpennyisplainevil

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Okay, let's see what time it is, shall we? The radio in the beginning, it's old. The nurse's suit, 1970's. The car, 1970's. 70's it is.
Where are we? The car's wheel is on the right, so Britain or Japan or any other country that drives on the left. But we see a British flag in the background and only white people so Britain it is.
Who are we? Hmmm, Solid and Liquid were born in 1972, so that's a no no and BB didn't lose his right arm. That leaves Solidus Snake, not "born", but immediately "made" into a full grown human being in the 70's, bingo. We never saw his arm, after all. He was always in that suit of his in MGS2.
Why are they killing all patients? Since it's probably Solidus I'm assuming they are all being tested. One is to survive and will be assigned as clone of BB. Sounds good to me.
Who is that bandaged man? Beats me... probably a new character.
Why is he missing an arm? Something went wrong during the cloning?
The weird people seen in fire seem to be BB in his sneaking suit from PO, Volgin with glowing eyes cry.gif and someone on a flaming horse (I'm assuming the Boss).
That's just my view on things

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:22 PM Edited by theomenofficial, 28 December 2012 - 11:13 PM.

The more that I think about it, I think this is just marketing for Ground Zeroes.
I mean, they can't release 2 Metal Gear games in the same year!
I think we are looking at the same game. smile.gif

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:55 PM Edited by theomenofficial, 28 December 2012 - 11:14 PM.

Sorry for double post but...
HOLY SH*T - http://i.imgur.com/MDAY0.png

Also: http://www.reddit.co..._ground_zeroes/

Shiggys
  • Shiggys

Biggu Bossu

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Friday, Dec 28 2012, 22:55)
Sorry for double post but...
HOLY SH*T - http://i.imgur.com/MDAY0.png

Also: http://www.reddit.co..._ground_zeroes/

The floor tiles are a bit of a stretch, in my opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users