Quantcast

» «
Photo

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

576 replies to this topic
tuareg
  • tuareg

Goodbye, John Marston. It's been a great pleasure!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

There doesn't seem to be one yet.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

Here's the opening sequence of MGS5 in English

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

Before I thought Kiefer was absolutely going to be in the game but after seeing that intro i'm 90% sure it's a ruse. There is absolutely no synergy in the voice acting, Kiefer has put no effort in either and he is capable of doing a damn good job in my opinion.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

Pretty much disappointed with the voice acting. Skull Face sounds like he was voiced by some young, black (no rasism here) fan. Everyone else sounded like they were just reading the script - where the hell are all the emotions! To that, they changed Snake's face animation during the "kept you waiting..." line. It now looks much less natural than in the original, Japanese trailer.

The only good thing I heard in it was Kaz's last codec line :). Brings back that Peace Walker vibe.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

Before I thought Kiefer was absolutely going to be in the game but after seeing that intro i'm 90% sure it's a ruse. There is absolutely no synergy in the voice acting, Kiefer has put no effort in either and he is capable of doing a damn good job in my opinion.

Put no effort in? How so? It's not as if the lines we've heard have been from any emotionally charged parts of the game.

You can't judge him yet.

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

Put no effort in? How so? It's not as if the lines we've heard have been from any emotionally charged parts of the game.

You can't judge him yet.

I've seen a lot of Kiefer over the years and he can push out lines better than that. The lack of synergy between the two voice actors is something i've never seen before either (I know it's recorded seperately but in every MGS it has been almost flawless)

I will wait and see. This video pushed me towards believing that Haytar will be back but at the same time I don't want him back, I want Kiefer but I want Kiefer to actually perform.

tuareg
  • tuareg

Goodbye, John Marston. It's been a great pleasure!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

Nice to see the ground zeroes intro in english now!

Twang.
  • Twang.

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

Yeah, the delivery of that line was terrible, holy f*ck. It has to be a ruse.

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:01 AM

I'm waiting.

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

I think Kiefer sounds better in that video. I used to like Haytar (MGS1/2/3) but Peace Walker/4 sucked balls.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:57 AM Edited by Daz, 30 September 2013 - 06:59 AM.

I agree there. I am not complaining just because I dont want kiefer as snake, but that sounded terrible. Kiefer is pretty one dimensional but he can do a better job than that. It could be an early thrown-together mockup but it really isn't looking good if he is the lead role.

The only reason I also have feelings the voice actor change is a ruse is that it is a publicity stunt as usual, just like with the Quiet thing, cause controversy and attention that is not the way the game will actually be, just like how in MGS2 it showed actual ingame footage of snake fighting the bosses in MGS2 that did not exist in the game whatsoever. What leads me to this asumption is that we have not see any cutscene yet, or ingame dialog that gives evidence that kiefer is actually voicing snake. Infact I don't think he even mentioned it himself, he always refered to him as "the character", aside from the "kept you waiting" part, which can easily be done for a laugh, I really feel there is something dodgy going on.

I mean for all we know we could be playing as Kaz in MGS5, like that first screenshot of the fox engine with the soldier next to the APC, it looked like blonde hair just like miller's. Or what would make even more sense is if there were multiple playable characters, such as Ocelot and Quiet, which would explain why she is always refered to as the hero of the game, or w/e.

Either way, I didn't like the voice acting for that trailer. I do agree Skull face (needs a name change asap) sounds a little weird but I think it is just that the japanese voice acting always sounds so menacing. I like the voice itself, it would sound great in a codec chat or isolated cutscene not involving the character.

But I am having a really hard time trying to attach these voices to these characters. It feels like it is all a big jumble and voice actors are voicing random parts of other characters to throw us off. We have a distinct lack of actual face time of characters speaking. So who knows at this point, it could be all bullsh*t and the voices could not even be the real final product.

A ruse or not, I really didn't like MGS4, I found it very hard to accept the new character models as the old characters we know. I hope the same does not happen for this game as well.

Kiefer just sounds the same in everything, he isn't even altering his voice to mimic Hayter's style, I just totally hate it all. It would make sense if the voice change was because of a change in plot, as if it were damaged after the hospital scene, but he is the same in GZ, so what the f*ck is the point.

I just hope we see some better scenes soon.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

Welcome to the real North Korea

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

Kiefer will do an excellent Snake.

Trust me, I want Hayter as Snake as much as anyone, but if they're replacing Hayter with anyone it has to be Kiefer, and he will do excellent.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

Trust me, I want Hayter as Snake as much as anyone, but if they're replacing Hayter with anyone it has to be Kiefer, and he will do excellent.

How about Richard Doyle as him from MGS4. There is nothing wrong with that.

I just have an issue with it, I feel extremely offended it is just a retcon and his voice is not even explained as if it was voicebox damage from the incident. Having Hayter for the voice during GZ then switching to Doyle for TPP sections would make sense then, but it feels like Kojima is giving a middle finger to everyone especially Hayter.

At this point, personally I would rather listen to all of Big Boss in Japanese instead.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

I dunno. He sounds far more realistic than Hayter... but the other characters don't, really. I kinda prefer the cartooniness myself.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

I just have an issue with it, I feel extremely offended it is just a retcon and his voice is not even explained as if it was voicebox damage from the incident. Having Hayter for the voice during GZ then switching to Doyle for TPP sections would make sense then, but it feels like Kojima is giving a middle finger to everyone especially Hayter.

I disagree.

They pretty much had no choice but to use someone other than Hayter for Big Boss in MGS4 because they couldn't have Hayter doing both voices, and while I agree Richard Doyle did an excellent job, that version of Big Boss is significantly older than the one we'll be playing as in MGSV. That version of Big Boss by all means should sound different IMO.

I'm still disappointed that Hayter won't be featured in MGSV, but it is what it is, and if he has to be replaced I can't think of anyone better for the job than Kiefer.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

I disagree.

They pretty much had no choice but to use someone other than Hayter for Big Boss in MGS4 because they couldn't have Hayter doing both voices, and while I agree Richard Doyle did an excellent job, that version of Big Boss is significantly older than the one we'll be playing as in MGSV. That version of Big Boss by all means should sound different IMO.

I'm still disappointed that Hayter won't be featured in MGSV, but it is what it is, and if he has to be replaced I can't think of anyone better for the job than Kiefer.

Other than maybe your early years, most peoples voices don't change all that much. There is no effort to explain it in a plot context. Who knows, but maybe Big Boss did sound like Solid Snake the entire time, but his nanomachines purposely alter how Snake hears BB's voice so he didn't figure anything out during the first MG games. But nope, just that "David Hayter is sh*t" so we are using an "actor" that is better. It technically should have been a spinoff, but the game has still used the "Metal Gear Solid" name for the games despite Solid Snake only being in half of the games. And the "Solid" part is essentially "contains Hayter" it may as well just be "Metal Gear 5" and there probably isn't even going to be a legit Metal Gear in the game as well.

Back on the subject of Kiefer, I don't think he is better at all, at least for mo-cap, which is the main reason Kojima wanted him. Did you even see his 'post-stroke like' speech in mocap? I'm sure that will look fantastic on Big Boss...

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:43 AM

I don't really see much of a problem other than Skull Face, and even then maybe he'll surprise us.  All we can hope for is a trailer with more lines from him before the game is released.

Both Kiefer Sutherland and Robin Atkin Downes gave more emotion in the red band trailer, but I think that the reason there is less so here is because it does not require as much for a simple briefing.  I think they are trying to make a significant change from past games, wherein you'd still get some over the top lines and performances in debreifings, which would be out of place with the level of seriousness they seem to be striving for now.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

I think they are trying to make a significant change from past games

Exactly, this is what we DO NOT WANT.

I really don't understand why game developers do this all the f*cking time now, do they not understand that we are fans because we love everything about the older games, and that we want a new game because we want MORE OF THE SAME, not something different. Why do you think COD keeps selling? Because they don't change a damn thing, sure it hurts the game after the length they have been doing it and therefore ends up sh*t. But still, we want the similar format.

Something as simple as the codec change and not having a decent codec communication since MGS3 or even MGS2, in my eyes totally ruined that aspect of the game. It was a big part in MGS2, and somewhat in 3 but I feel you can't get that intensity unless you are seeing both characters in real time. MGS4 also ruined that.

I don't want things changed, I want more of the same, (at least from the good games, MGS1, MGS2 and MGS3).

There was some recent news that David Hayter signed up along with Jennifer Hale to "The Long Dark", so the idea that Hayter may still be in the game is fading fast. What a f*cking damn shame. To piss away a character that way. Unless he gets brought back for a MG1 remake I may have to throw in the towel with this bullsh*t.

I lost all hope in the series for next generations when I played MGS4.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

lol wow.  What a drama queen.  Speak for yourself.  Some of us fans actually like to see the series grow rather than become stale.  CoD is successful because those who like it are complete idiots, and unfortunately they make up the majority of the world.  There are plenty of series that would not be where they are today if they never changed at all.  Look at Mario, or Zelda, or even GTA for that matter.

Besides that, to say the series is so much worse for getting rid of Hayter, well, that just sounds ridiculous to me.  I'm not going to get butthurt over a change in cast that will probably be for the better.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:27 AM

lol wow.  What a drama queen.  Speak for yourself.  Some of us fans actually like to see the series grow rather than become stale.  CoD is successful because those who like it are complete idiots, and unfortunately they make up the majority of the world.  There are plenty of series that would not be where they are today if they never changed at all.  Look at Mario, or Zelda, or even GTA for that matter.

Besides that, to say the series is so much worse for getting rid of Hayter, well, that just sounds ridiculous to me.  I'm not going to get butthurt over a change in cast that will probably be for the better.

Your point is completely redundant. Mario, Zelda and GTA aren't dialog driven games, and have f*ck all decent storytelling. The only reason those games "changed" were because of the hardware leap, and they didn't change everything that people loved about the originals, they stayed true to their original ideas, that is why they continue to be popular.

Did the new versions of Hitman, Max Payne or SOCOM ever match their originals? f*ck no they didn't, because they f*cking pissed on the spirit of the originals that everyone loved.

MGS is the only game that the story matters, so much infact that it may even be more important than the gameplay, as the story lives on, if you still play the games or not. It is essentially just like replacing the main character in a tv show you religiously follow, it wrecks it, no matter how decent the actor is. That is why it is important.

Any other game I couldn't give two sh*ts, as I play games for gameplay, but this is the only one that storyline matters, because of such emphasis on it above all else.

So comparing MGS to Mario, Zelda or GTA is like comparing a F-117 Nighthawk to a kitchen table cloth.

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

http://gtaforums.com...es-mgs5spoiler/

SPOILER This guy posted first mission of the game.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

http://www.joystiq.c...in-spring-2014/

I am so glad I was right all along, two separate games confirmed, and thank f*ck we don't have to wait over a year to get our hands on something.

I am hoping this will include co-op.

• Tyler likes this

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:20 AM Edited by W3BB13, 08 November 2013 - 12:23 AM.

If they're not less than $60 a piece I won't buy either.

I'm not paying $120 for essentially one game even if it is MGS.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:37 AM Edited by NYC PATROL, 08 November 2013 - 06:38 AM.

I'm actually surprised they split it up. Maybe they realized TPP (Main game) is taking longer than expected and so they had to get something out the door.

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:13 AM

Ground Zeroes is $30, and I wouldn't mind if PP is full price since it is the main game, after all.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

Something interesting on Joystiq: http://www.joystiq.c...e-mgs5-content/

"Playstation Exclusive Content"

Good thing I am switching to PS4.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

Good people of USA & Europe,

If you want to see the Special Edition (physicial edition) of the next-gen Ground Zeroes, sign in this petition. One of the PRs of Konami advices so.

http://www.change.or...worldwide#share

Spread the news, otherwise no one will know.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:59 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 02 December 2013 - 08:00 PM.

Ground Zeroes is $30, and I wouldn't mind if PP is full price since it is the main game, after all.

So why the f*ck is it £30 in the UK? Sorry to say, but what f*cking twat is going to buy that piece of sh*t prologue when they know they are getting f*cked through the rate. The main game is going to be £59.99 in the UK. That's £90 altogether for what? A prologue and a full game? Jesus.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

1462988_636045836439163_156943030_n.jpg

That picture alone makes me want to play the game.

Still, I'm not sure I'll even be playing games anymore by the time it releases.

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

This series became stale five years ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users