Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

650 replies to this topic
badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 05:11)
QUOTE (123-bob @ Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 23:46)
who is this character?

http://i842.photobuc...zps8383f38b.jpg

http://i842.photobuc...zps5ef694a3.jpg

http://imgur.com/KMlgnBF

hmm, Roy Campbell?

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE (badboy_zay @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 04:41)
who is this character?

hmm, Roy Campbell?

New characters.

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:23 AM

What do you fellow MGS fans make of this article?
http://www.examiner....in-are-one-game

It would seem Ground Zeroes won't be released as a standalone game after all?

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( ´-`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (AreXi @ Wednesday, Jun 12 2013, 18:58)
QUOTE (badboy_zay @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 04:41)
who is this character?

hmm, Roy Campbell?

New characters.

So... Decoy Octopus?

"New" is rather vague. They could just mean that they're new because they haven't been confirmed to be in MGSV before.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

http://n4g.com/news/...than-e3-trailer

Kojima Productions aims for 60 FPS, high resolution and even more detailed graphics than what you've seen on E3, on the next generation consoles. Interactivity with smartphones and tablets is mentioned.

Also, Troy Baker will be the voice of Ocelot.

GTAKing3197
  • GTAKing3197

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (123-bob @ Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 22:46)
who is this character?

user posted image

user posted image

Not sure when I look at the second picture but when I look at the first I thought it was an older Major Zero. I'm sure I'm very wrong but it was just a guess.

GTAKing3197
  • GTAKing3197

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

I don't mind having Kiefer as the voice of Big Boss but it will take time to get used to it. But what is weird is that is voice is even in Ground Zeroes, if Kojima wanted to change it cause of the age of Big Boss then thats ok but I would have David Hayter in Ground Zeroes since it's based right after Peace Walker and then have Kiefer in The Phantom Pain seeing as it's nine years laer. I just think it would make a bit more sense that way.

123-bob
  • 123-bob

Thug

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (GTAKing3197 @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 08:56)
who is this character?

Not sure when I look at the second picture but when I look at the first I thought it was an older Major Zero. I'm sure I'm very wrong but it was just a guess.

Na its not Zero, theres no scar on the left side of the face

I think its either a new character or its Roy Campbell

this is Campbell in the 1970's

user posted image

Waldie
  • Waldie

Dickensian Mockney

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (GTAKing3197 @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 09:15)
I don't mind having Kiefer as the voice of Big Boss but it will take time to get used to it. But what is weird is that is voice is even in Ground Zeroes, if Kojima wanted to change it cause of the age of Big Boss then thats ok but I would have David Hayter in Ground Zeroes since it's based right after Peace Walker and then have Kiefer in The Phantom Pain seeing as it's nine years laer. I just think it would make a bit more sense that way.

The age thing is just a bullsh*t excuse. It's my understanding that they've kept the same Japanese actor.

He just wanted someone better than Hayter and tossed him aside like a piece of garbage. I love MGS and think Kojima is awesome for making them but I don't approve at all of how he shafted Hayter.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (Waldie @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 12:00)
QUOTE (GTAKing3197 @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 09:15)

The age thing is just a bullsh*t excuse. It's my understanding that they've kept the same Japanese actor.

He just wanted someone better than Hayter and tossed him aside like a piece of garbage. I love MGS and think Kojima is awesome for making them but I don't approve at all of how he shafted Hayter.

I totally agree with you.

As I believe the voice actor in japan has always been the same, even for big boss in MGS4 etc. So there is not story based reason for it. But for the english version I know they used the same actor who played The Fury in MGS3, and that was fine, if it was his voice I wouldn't mind at all.

If that it is true that ground zeroes isn't a separate game, it makes no sense that hayter wouldnt be the voice for big boss during those sections and wake up and recognize a voice change. Because let's face it, it has been 5 years since we got a proper new metal gear game, it is mostly hardcore fans that play all the games, WE ARE GOING TO NOTICE. At least address that fact. Something brought on after the accident.

I feel that not only did kojima want to totally scrap any storyline in portable ops, but I feel he wants to just do a re-write of sh*t that happened in peace walker. As not many people played it I don't think he gives a sh*t.

I wasn't annoyed at the voice change as it was inevitable, it was annoyed because it was not a proper voice actor, and was Kiefer who, as mentioned above, is too well known for jack bauer, I only hear his voice, I have seen all 8 seasons of 24 and know how he is like the back of my hand. I don't think he fits as big boss at all. Another character however, like Gray Fox would have been f*cking awesome.

I think he just needs an older more dignified voice. I also think what was odd in the gameplay was that he wasn't wearing the bandanna, I am guessing this is a plot device to separate naked snake from big boss.

As I always said before, I would love it if it continued further and showed a young Solid Snake as david hayter even if he did his normal speaking voice to portay the green rookie that he is during that time.

I also am guessing this will be set heavily around the Soviet-Afghan war, based off the the russian troops you see and the time period 1979-1989 which would end up 6 years before Metal Gear. So possibly we could see snake in the game, as well as Raiden fighting as a child.

Either way, gameplay looks win.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

"Once we start going into development for next-generation we're definitely looking for something better than [what] we have shown today," he said. Kojima added that the developer is aiming for a 60 frames per second refresh rate and a higher resolution for the game's Xbox One and PlayStation 4 releases.

http://www.polygon.c...e-tablet-kojima

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima has explained that The Phantom Pain will be less like films than previous games, and more like a television show.

"I'm sure you're worried about if the cutscenes are as long as Metal Gear Solid 4," Kojima said during an E3 roundtable. "Since this time around we're using an open world environment," Metal Gear Solid V will have "less cutscenes [than before]." Because you'll be exploring, you'll have fewer opportunities to run into a cutscene that takes control away.

"If you think of Metal Gear Solids 1-4 as movies," Kojima continued, "[The Phantom Pain] is going to be like a TV series with episodes." Each episode breaks down into a non-linear missions with that eventually "come together to complete the story we have designed."

Ground Zeroes perhaps best represents this idea. "Phantom Pain is the big game, and included in that is the prologue, Ground Zeroes," Kojima said.

Is this a good step for the Metal Gear franchise? Let us know in the comments below.

Mr.Moffat
  • Mr.Moffat

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:16 PM Edited by Mr.Moffat, 13 June 2013 - 02:18 PM.

I also think what was odd in the gameplay was that he wasn't wearing the bandanna, I am guessing this is a plot device to separate naked snake from big boss.

He threw away the bandanna at the end of PW to show he was over the boss, and yup to show he is no longer is naked snake tounge.gif So him not wearing it, actually makes sense.

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima has explained that The Phantom Pain will be less like films than previous games, and more like a television show.

"I'm sure you're worried about if the cutscenes are as long as Metal Gear Solid 4," Kojima said during an E3 roundtable. "Since this time around we're using an open world environment," Metal Gear Solid V will have "less cutscenes [than before]." Because you'll be exploring, you'll have fewer opportunities to run into a cutscene that takes control away.

"If you think of Metal Gear Solids 1-4 as movies," Kojima continued, "[The Phantom Pain] is going to be like a TV series with episodes." Each episode breaks down into a non-linear missions with that eventually "come together to complete the story we have designed."

Ground Zeroes perhaps best represents this idea. "Phantom Pain is the big game, and included in that is the prologue, Ground Zeroes," Kojima said.

Is this a good step for the Metal Gear franchise? Let us know in the comments below

Knowing Kojima, this means, instead of 20 hours of cutscenes, now it will only be 15 hours ph34r.gif , still as long as I am being entertained I have no complaints.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima is well known for looking with a keen eye to the western gaming industry, and apparently he has been watching quite attentively even at E3, as he expressed in an interview published today on the Japanese website 4Gamer while talking about the reception in the west for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

I thought it received a good reaction, but after seeing Ubisoft’s [TomClancy's] The Division I felt I have to work harder. At E3 we’re fighting against the powerhouses of the whole world. At one time I thought I managed to win that battle with Metal Gear Solid 3. For that reason we gave ourselves the objective to “win the world once more” with Metal Gear Solid V. The V in the title is the V for victory.

In addition to that, besides other things that were previously mentioned, Kojima shared some details about the reasons behind the choice of setting for the game in Afghanistan in 1984 and on other, different locales we can expect.

Since making Metal Gear Solid 3 I always wanted to make a game about the history of this era. In addition to that, 1984 is also the title of a novel by George Orwell and Metal Gear Solid V includes Orwellian themes.  

Metal Gear Solid 3 was set in 1964, Peace Walker in 1974 and Metal Gear Solid V in 1984. We’re going in increments of ten years. It’s a balance, since teenagers nowadays weren’t yet born in 1984, but it’s not too old. That said, you can expect other settings, not just Afghanistan.

Finally, he shared more details on how stealth will work in the open world of the game:

Stealth in Metal Gear Solid V is very realistic. It’s not just a matter of following the rules of the game anymore. You can decide to just walk to your destination or ride a car. There are less sentries during the night, but you’ll be easy to spot if you turn on the headlights. Of course there are a lot more sentries during the day.

I think the definition of “real stealth simulator” is appropriate. Previously when the game was on rails players knew what to expect, because designers just put an explosion there, a collapsing wall there…It was like a haunted house.

Now weather and time will change. I wanted to make this game allowing a million of different players to play in a million of different ways.

While I’m excited like basically everyone else about Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, I have to say that I wish Kojima-san just did what he knows how do best without trying to look at the western game industry too much. Our industry already lacks diversity as it is.

If looking towards the west will just be a further spur to do better, then I sure won’t complain, but I seriously hope he’ll keep incoming influences to a minimum.

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

who is this character?

[IG]http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz343/ineedafix_2009/null_zps8383f38b.jpg[/IMG]

[MG]http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz343/ineedafix_2009/null_zps5ef694a3.jpg[/IMG]

that's miller

i can assure you now; the entire game is about their fall from grace and big boss/miller split their friendship towards the end, you can see from one shot in the trailer big boss turns and walks away from miller whilst looking f*cked up

you can also hear millers rage at losing his body, i'm sure he will go to extremes for revenge. another thing to note is that miller creates diamond dogs.

123-bob
  • 123-bob

Thug

• Members

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (flitcroft101 @ Friday, Jun 14 2013, 15:47)
who is this character?

[IG]http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz343/ineedafix_2009/null_zps8383f38b.jpg[/IMG]

[MG]http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz343/ineedafix_2009/null_zps5ef694a3.jpg[/IMG]

that's miller

i can assure you now; the entire game is about their fall from grace and big boss/miller split their friendship towards the end, you can see from one shot in the trailer big boss turns and walks away from miller whilst looking f*cked up

you can also hear millers rage at losing his body, i'm sure he will go to extremes for revenge. another thing to note is that miller creates diamond dogs.

im not convinced that is Miller, also ive never heard that Miller created Diamond Dogs either, wheres the source for that?

Ibrahimhassounah
  • Ibrahimhassounah

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

Metal Gear Online is coming back

http://www.computera...ojima-on-mgs-5/

tuareg
  • tuareg

that aaaaain't workin, that's the way you do it

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

There is no way this wont be one of the best games ever created.

My hype level cannot be contained. I'm still not too crazy about sutherland though. Doesn't matter. I can't f*cking wait for this.

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

Kojima said you can also create user generated levels for MGS V! mercie_blink.gif

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Saturday, Jun 15 2013, 14:34)
Kojima said you can also create user generated levels for MGS V! mercie_blink.gif

I'm surprised that more people aren't discussing this. It's incredible news.

tuareg
  • tuareg

that aaaaain't workin, that's the way you do it

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Just heard about that. Mind=completely blown.

I need a ps4 for this. f*ck playing this on the 360 even though i love the 360.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

How would that work in an Open World Game?

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (iNero @ Saturday, Jun 15 2013, 18:33)
How would that work in an Open World Game?

The same thing is in GTA V, I think.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

How does GTA have user generated levels?

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (iNero @ Saturday, Jun 15 2013, 19:49)
How does GTA have user generated levels?

Not user generated levels, but user generated missions.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

Hey, I've never played any Metal Gear series game, but the demo of this one has left me intrigued. As a Cold War theme fan, the setting of the game (Soviet-Afghan war 1980s) really interests me. By other hand, the soviet soldiers and their units (excepting that striker look alike tank that looked outta place) look pretty reallistic. However, do the real military take a big role in the MG series or is more oriented into Sci-fi elements?
I've also heard that if you don't play the whole series you don't understand what's going on, anyway, summed up, the main character is a CIA agent who fights against some kind of evi, organization, right?

Sorry if the questions sound stupid for you guys, but for the moment I'm just overviewing the game smile.gif

Hecate
  • Hecate

I am for the air.

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Saturday, Jun 15 2013, 18:42)
However, do the real military take a big role in the MG series or is more oriented into Sci-fi elements?

Hideo Kojima is pretty serious about it being a realistic portrayal of soldiers. He hires former military to advise the choreographers and is pretty extensive in the work that goes into fleshing out the military bases, uniforms, actions, etc.

I've also heard that if you don't play the whole series you don't understand what's going on, anyway, summed up, the main character is a CIA agent who fights against some kind of evi, organization, right?

Nah. The latter half of your quote is sort of in the right vein but still way off. If you want to try out MGS and not worry about an over-arching storyline that crosses games, then play MGS3: Snake Eater. It's a fairly self-contained story and a prequel to boot. It's also a Cold War era game, and probably my favorite of the series. As for the other games... Well yeah, they're all kind of interconnected. The thing is they connect in a very odd way that isn't exactly linear and story-centric like you would think. My advice would be to play through them chronologically if you ever get the chance. If not, well, MGS3 should be something you try out before grabbing this, at the very least.

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Saturday, Jun 15 2013, 17:14)
QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Saturday, Jun 15 2013, 18:42)
However, do the real military take a big role in the MG series or is more oriented into Sci-fi elements?

Hideo Kojima is pretty serious about it being a realistic portrayal of soldiers. He hires former military to advise the choreographers and is pretty extensive in the work that goes into fleshing out the military bases, uniforms, actions, etc.

Nah. The latter half of your quote is sort of in the right vein but still way off. If you want to try out MGS and not worry about an over-arching storyline that crosses games, then play MGS3: Snake Eater. It's a fairly self-contained story and a prequel to boot. It's also a Cold War era game, and probably my favorite of the series. As for the other games... Well yeah, they're all kind of interconnected. The thing is they connect in a very odd way that isn't exactly linear and story-centric like you would think. My advice would be to play through them chronologically if you ever get the chance. If not, well, MGS3 should be something you try out before grabbing this, at the very least.

There's also the Legacy Collection coming out next month on the PS3 with Most of the Games in it, most remastered in HD. Which I'm geting next month since I'm a casual fan of the series and would like to get full blown into it and play V when it comes out.

Personally this was the game of E3, the only ones that came close to Final Fantasy XV, Destiny, and Titanfall. I was not expecting open world at all.

Twang.
  • Twang.

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Saturday, Jun 15 2013, 19:42)
the main character is a CIA agent who fights against some kind of evi, organization, right?

In MGS3 (the first in the timeline) you are in fact CIA, but you've been sent to Russia on a top secret mission to prevent nuclear war. That is about where the MGS timeline branches off from real-world history. V is about that man's descent in to madness after realizing everything he had been fighting for is a lie. Metal Gear 1, 2, MGS1, parts of 2, and MGS4 all star that man's "sons" fighting each other in a series of nearly apocalyptic events. Most of MGS2 stars a dude named Raiden whose connection the whole affair is tangential, but relevant.

It's really hard to describe the series without spoilers. The one above isn't HUGE, but still a major plot point.

AceHigh11
  • AceHigh11

Homie

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

"MGS V will have less cutscenes" smile.gif
http://www.ign.com/a...ike-a-tv-series

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users