Children

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
825 replies to this topic
Secura
  • Secura

Enigmatic Wanderer.

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:34 AM Edited by Lightning Strike, 04 December 2012 - 02:41 AM.

Now, if there's one thing that's really bugged me in the GTA series of games it's the lack of children. Call me a freak or weirdo but the point is a valid one, there are playgrounds and colleges in the series and yet, there's no sign that anyone, anyone at all inhabits or even goes to these places.

I suppose the big issue with the implementation of children would be the "You could kill children, that's evil" argument, while I'm not going to argue that the taking of human life is a good thing, does it really make that much difference as to what age someones life is taken from them, assuming that we're all going to die anyway and that everyone in this world's equal then we must also assume that a child, even a virtual child's life has the same amount of meaning and is worth just as much as an adults.

Now, I've got to ask this question. What really classifies a child hmmm? I'm seventeen (eighteen in a few days but the point still stands) and by British law I'm still a child even though I've got a job, a girlfriend, a car (a bad one that's cost me a sh*t ton on insurance) and live in my own apartment. Yet, I'm still legally the same as a six year old. So would anyone here have any second thoughts about killing an seventeen year-old person in GTA, not me and even games like Fallout 3 there's a sixteen year-old guy you can kill in all manner of gruesome ways.

Also the ESRB or PEGI or whoever's rating games now days with children in them must realize that even if the kids aren't killable there'll most likely be a modification brought out to kill them anyway, so really what's the difference ? it doesn't cost any money to download a modification to a game and it'll be readily available to anybody no matter what their age is that owns a PC.

Some of the best mods in any games are those that allow you to kill children for anyone who's ever played F03 do you remember Little Lamp Light? Well this is for all us.

It's stupid for any age rating system not to take into account all of the factors that I've mentioned and as such I think children in games - even killable children shouldn't really be that much of an issue for the gaming industry any more. I mean, come on do you really think video games are still in their infancy ? they're over fifty years old and even now without the approval of game rating boards we still do the things that they'd ban games immediately for, so what's the problem ?

The world also seems to have an issue with children being killed, but only in gaming. If a child dies in a film it's fine and no-one gives a toss about it, but the moment that it becomes a game everyone goes crazy and gets all up in arms over it, why ?. It seems to me like the opposite would and probably should be the case, I mean one contains an entirely virtual entity that's actually just a bunch of code, the other's a living, breathing human being that's actually a child.

To me at least, there's no difference between shooting a virtual innocent adult person who's never actually existed and is just a bunch of 1's and 0's and shooting a virtual innocent child who's never actually existed and is just a bunch of 1's and zeros.

stevechilds
  • stevechilds

Fashion conscience

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

*Eats virtual popcorn

matt19811
  • matt19811

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

i would want to slit micheals son's throat but killing an infant would be boring. Slapping the sh*t of micheals daughter would be fun. I think micheals son is younger then his daughter, which seems like the perfect minimum ages for a girl and a boy in the game anywhere. Anything younger seems pointless. Younger kids would only be a pain in the ass and boring.

Loxley
  • Loxley

newLegacyinc Contributor

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:43 AM

GREAT now I can't stop watching Fallout 3 videos.

OT: They should be in V.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (matt19811 @ Monday, Dec 3 2012, 20:42)
Anything younger seems pointless. Younger kids would only be a pain in the ass and boring.

icon14.gif Agreed.

Secura
  • Secura

Enigmatic Wanderer.

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 02:43)
QUOTE (matt19811 @ Monday, Dec 3 2012, 20:42)
Anything younger seems pointless. Younger kids would only be a pain in the ass and boring.

icon14.gif Agreed.

Maybe, yes that might be the case - but they've been included in many game series that have never included them before, the most notable and recent among them being Skryim and Assassin's Creed.

In one game you couldn't do anything to the children and in the other you could fight them, but not kill them. Never the less them simply being there definitely ups immersion and gives you the "feeling" of being in the world yourself.

Diecontrollersdie
  • Diecontrollersdie

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

So basically you want Children in game?

Raynos
  • Raynos

GTA VET

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 02:34)
I'm still a child

Case and point. -//Thread/

Secura
  • Secura

Enigmatic Wanderer.

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE (Diecontrollersdie @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 02:48)
So basically you want Children in game?

Yeah, pretty much - though the topic itself an interesting one due to the history that GTA series has so it's worth (at least in my mind) discussing it.

Kuunkulta
  • Kuunkulta

Rocka Rolla

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

While I 100% agree that it's just pixels, it is a very sensitive subject at the moment... There have been many school shootings around the globe lately and many children die as casualties in the current wars.. If the world was a peaceful place where all children could grow in peace we might have kill-able children in games. Simply because it wouldn't relate to real life. But the fact that it does relate to real world problems makes it a huge taboo that in commercial games is probably best left untouched.

dukee152
  • dukee152

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

Maybe killing someone who is like 14+ because that is normally when kids start getting into gang activities.

Radoonhagaydoon
  • Radoonhagaydoon

Ignorance lives everywhere.

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

kids in assassin's creed were annoying tho

Secura
  • Secura

Enigmatic Wanderer.

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

QUOTE (Raynos @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 02:49)
I'm still a child

Care to elaborate ?

stevechilds
  • stevechilds

Fashion conscience

• Members

QUOTE (Kuunkulta @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 02:50)
While I 100% agree that it's just pixels, it is a very sensitive subject at the moment... There have been many school shootings around the globe lately and many children die as casualties in the current wars.. If the world was a peaceful place where all children could grow in peace we might have kill-able children in games. Simply because it wouldn't relate to real life. But the fact that it does relate to real world problems makes it a huge taboo that in commercial games is probably best left untouched.

cookie.gif

op needs to evaluate himself

Raynos
  • Raynos

GTA VET

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 02:52)
QUOTE (Raynos @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 02:49)
I'm still a child

Care to elaborate ?

Sorry bud, I had, I just had to do it, taking things out of context is fun.

Anyways, you're 17, you're classed as a "Youth" or is that term for ages 18-21?
In NZ, it's slightly different, a 15 year old can still be sentenced as an adult for criminal activities.

I see no issues having kids in the game, however, having had chickens myself, only a parent can tell you that a chickens life is more precious than an adults.

It all falls back on their innocent and helpless nature, killing something such as a chicken, even in ones imagination, just seems wrong.
Killing an adult, an annoying ped or nagging bitch is just stress relief.

Secura
  • Secura

Enigmatic Wanderer.

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (stevechilds @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 02:52)

cookie.gif

Not really.

@Kuunkulta, I understand were you're coming from man, and most of it makes sense - what does not make sense however, is the complete and utter bullsh*t the gaming industry's being handed in this case. We've seen kids die in movies it happens a lot now, for prime examples I'd include the Alien vs Predator sequal.

The film may have been terrible, but in the first five minutes a ten year old kid had his face sucked off and his chest blown open, what makes even less sense is that this film only got a 15 age rating. Any game (and I mean literally any game) that would try to even pull half of what that film did would get banned in multiple countries the day it was announced.

Mefris
  • Mefris

Grumpy Uncle

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

Some of the best mods in any games are those that allow you to kill children[...]

........what?

Hitman843
  • Hitman843

Hitman

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE (Mefris @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 03:05)
Some of the best mods in any games are those that allow you to kill children[...]

........what?

Sick people, or just 12 year old wannabe gangsters.

Secura
  • Secura

Enigmatic Wanderer.

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:06 AM Edited by Lightning Strike, 04 December 2012 - 03:12 AM.

........what?

Well y'know, particularly annoying ones like Mcreary ..... and I'm not the only one who thinks so, the video has something like two hundred thousand views.

I'm not saying that every child's like that but game developers seem to be making a habit of creating very annoying children without a way to shut them up, a case in point can be found below.

It seems like every child in that game has a death wish.

Also, it appears that children's primary purpose in video games recently is either to annoy the player, or obstruct/distract them from what they are doing.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

........what?

Apparently, some people are really desperate to kill children in games. Like, they'd be happy if midget adults were in the game because then at least they could pretend they were children. I don't understand it myself, but if you look at the many threads about this same subject, you can find people who are like this.

Diecontrollersdie
  • Diecontrollersdie

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

........what?

ITS JUST A GAME, If you can't stand it then go cry or leave gaming.

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

I seriously think that whatever you kill in a video game, it's all the same. You're killing. And you don't really kill anyone since they never even existed. So I don't see the problem. There should be children in the game but there will probably not be any.

goh13
  • goh13

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:15 AM

Many adults die in war. Young and old. Just saying.

Secura
  • Secura

Enigmatic Wanderer.

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:16 AM Edited by Lightning Strike, 04 December 2012 - 03:43 AM.

QUOTE (Staten @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 03:08)

........what?

Apparently, some people are really desperate to kill children in games. Like, they'd be happy if midget adults were in the game because then at least they could pretend they were children. I don't understand it myself, but if you look at the many threads about this same subject, you can find people who are like this.

Once again, I'd like to stress the fact that I'm not desperate (Oh yeah kids ! now to find inventive ways to kill them ... not my normal reaction to seeing children, either in reality or in gaming ...) to kill children. It just seems that game lacks a certain ... "feel" without them being present.

I personally wouldn't mind them being invincible, as long as they're present in the game it doesn't matter - I can understand it seems like a minor detail but it gives the game - whatever it may be - a certain depth that games without kids just cannot seem to grasp.

Kuunkulta
  • Kuunkulta

Rocka Rolla

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 03:02)
QUOTE (stevechilds @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 02:52)

cookie.gif

Not really.

@Kuunkulta, I understand were you're coming from man, and most of it makes sense - what does not make sense however, is the complete and utter bullsh*t the gaming industry's being handed in this case. We've seen kids die in movies it happens a lot now, for prime examples I'd include the Alien vs Predator sequal.

The film may have been terrible, but in the first five minutes a ten year old kid had his face sucked off and his chest blown open, what makes even less sense is that this film only got a 15 age rating. Any game (and I mean literally any game) that would try to even pull half of what that film did would get banned in multiple countries the day it was announced.

Aye movies do get away with a lot more, no-one can deny that. But I believe it's because the watcher doesn't control the killing. What I basically mean is, the non-gaming public generally see games as simulators of sort and to them, a child-killing-simulator is the worst thing since Hitler. It's just because people don't know better and don't think rationally.

It took a long time before killing children became.. krhm "acceptable" in movies. Games are still relatively new phenomenon and it will take time for people to accept it like they accept movies.

Now this is ofc just my interpretation of the subject.

Mefris
  • Mefris

Grumpy Uncle

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 03:06)

........what?

Well y'know, particularly annoying ones like Mcreary ..... and I'm not the only one who thinks so, the video has something like two hundred thousand views.

I fail to see how that justifies killing children....ANY children.When you'll grow up and have "annoying" children of your own you come and tell me otherwise (in which case I'll notify child's services).

I know this will sound absurd considering we're on a forum dedicated to a game in which you can kill anyone/anything but everything you wrote is just f*cked up.

goh13
  • goh13

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:24 AM

People are just idiots.

What do kill-able kids harm/benfit me? Nothing. Adding them or not adding them is up for the one doing the game. So why the f*ck everyone is mad if they are added?

Before you even speak, some devs want to add kids but the other side is too bitchy. If the other side was not too bitchy and ful of cry babies, you will see kids more often. Not in every game and sometimes not kill-able but you will see them more.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE (Diecontrollersdie @ Monday, Dec 3 2012, 21:10)

........what?

ITS JUST A GAME, If you can't stand it then go cry or leave gaming.

suicidal.gif These "new people" are killing me. bored.gif

playaindahood
  • playaindahood

Cooljunk Productions

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:25 AM

please stop it with these topics. there will never be children. never ever ever ever ever. R* or any well known gaming company is not going to have children as peds. I don't need to explain myself either. it's just NEVER going to happen.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 03:16)
QUOTE (Staten @ Tuesday, Dec 4 2012, 03:08)

........what?

Once again, I'd like to stress the fact that I'm not desperate (Oh yeah kids ! now to find inventive ways to kill them ... not my normal reaction to seeing children, either in reality or in gaming ...) to kill children. It just seems that game lacks a certain ... "feel" without them being present.

I was speaking generally, based on what I'd read in the many threads like this one. I thought, since you thought the best mods were the ones that allowed you to kill kids, that you're quite the fan of killing kids in games too,

I'm just guessing here, but when you talk about the "feel" that is present when kids are in a game, are you talking about the potential that someone will make a mod that'll let you kill kids in the game?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users