Photo

Psychedelic Rock

48 replies to this topic
Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:02 PM Edited by Cosmic Gypsy, 08 December 2012 - 12:25 AM.

So I usually listen to Hip Hop, but I listen to some Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and a lot of Jimi Hendrix, some of my mates play songs like White Rabbit and other iconic psychedelic tracks, so my interest in this type of music has grown greatly over time.

However, I rarely find something that I personally would consider the pinnacle of Psychedelic Rock, I found this track the other day, has me completely hooked, amazing music. I checked the net and it seems this is the only track Front Office have released.

Could anyone direct me to more similar music? Or just drop some links to tracks you consider old school and/or psychedelic rock.

I'll drop these tracks here also, the last one is not really psychedelic, but along the right lines. My knowledge of this genre is minimal.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

I hadn't heard of Front Office before so that was absolutely brilliant to hear something completely new.

One band I think you might like to explore is Cream. For me, they are along side Pink Floyd in terms of being the quintessential rockers of the psychedelic variety. Here are a couple of track to get you going. Hope you enjoy them, man icon14.gif

• Marwin Moody likes this

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:15 AM

Yeah mate, cheers for the contribution, i like White Room, never heard of Cream before.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

I'll stand in for Slamman on the "Shocked reply" at not knowing Cream.

Wanna do some weird Zappa?

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

lol at "Help I'm A Rock"... Nice track mate, I'm looking for something a bit heavier, more similar to the style of Front Office - Wow. But this is along the right lines, cheers for dropping the link.

dannyz
  • dannyz

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

The Doors are always good. The End,Moonlight Drive,The Soft Parade.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=ZDN9y2vTdUs

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:23 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 04 December 2012 - 09:28 PM.

OP, I'm sure you know Cream - Sunshine of Your Love. You must know it. biggrin.gif (tracks are individually tagged on youtube)

Considered more Prog but it's psychedelic as well. Mental sh*t to bake out to!

EDIT: I remember hearing White Room for the first time. I was walking in to a session at a house when I was 16 or 17 (about 10 years ago) beer in my hand, smile on my face. Amazing! biggrin.gif
  • Marwin Moody likes this

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Yeah some of my mates play The Doors quite a lot, also some Deep Purple here and there..

Cheers ThePinkFloydSound, I'll definitely have to listen to Yes - Close To The Edge fully sometime soon, hopefully on LSD.

Not sure if this is Rock but sounds psychedelic to me, i like it.

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:59 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 06 December 2012 - 02:03 PM.

You're welcome buddy. Here man, if you are going to trip, that album is great, but I always found listening to new genres of music or new music to my while tripping is amazing.

Try Psybient music....

"DMT, LSD, DMT, LSD...."

or some Progressive Psychedelic Trance. Seriously. Might not make sense now...it will when you are tripping. TRUST me. It's enough to keep your mind and emotions very happy and nicely occupied. There are so many trippy little synth lines that come and go. The kick and bass is a lovely rhythmic bop to keep you ticking forward through space.

Or if you feel like doing deeper and darker and go full on here's a Dark PsyTrance mix..Its music with tripping in mind. You'll hear so many references in to LSD in the music.

Or some Braindance/ACID music...

\

I know you said explicity rock music but when you mentioned tripping then it changed EVERYTHING! Haha devil.gif

Or some Zappa like Trip mentioned..

Slingaa
  • Slingaa

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken.

• Members

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

Would love to hear your opinions on this track

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Oh yeah. How about some more recent psych rock jams? Dead Meadow, Graveyard, Black Mountain and the like have been my sh*t recently.

Oogie
  • Oogie

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

One of my all time favorites;

And another one,

I'm not sure these would be considered psych rock but enjoy anyway

• Mister Pink likes this

Superpowermind
  • Superpowermind

Kill the King

• Members

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

I can't really tell if it's psychedelic or not but the part after 3:20 is ideal to listen while you're high tounge.gif

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:47 AM Edited by Cosmic Gypsy, 07 December 2012 - 01:05 AM.

Cheers for the suggestions people...

@ThePinkFloydSound, i really hate Trance, but if you have any more rock type suggestions, that would be great!

Some tracks i recently discovered...

One of my favourites, plus its English.

Not sure if it's really psychedelic, but still nice...

I've always been into Jimi Hendrix..

One of my favourite all time tracks...

Another one of my favourites.

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Obedient

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

Best song ever made, and suits well in GTA 5.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

I still haven't found another track i would consider the definition, or the pinaccle of Acid / Psychedelic Rock, Front Office - Wow is still at the top of my list. My Rock friends are also stumped and can't point me to anything really similar, shame. Although you lot did link me to some sick tracks and I am thankful.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

Thoughts?

The Hippie
  • The Hippie

I'm gonna be all the way out there...In the Wild!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Great topic Gypsy. Love all those groups. Floyd, Zeppelin, and Hendrix! I'll try to toss you a few psychedelic songs that I know.

Songs a trip and a half

Another trip

More mellow

This seems to be more what you're looking for

My fav QMS song

I recently discovered Shinki Chen. They call him the Japanese version of Hendrix. I don't know about that but he's good.

13th Floor Elevators

Good tune right here man

last one, promise

Some other good ones - Vanilla Fudge(you keep me hanging on), The Chambers brothers(love, peace & happiness. This is a 16 min experience), The Byrds(8 miles high), Procol Harum(a whiter shade of pale), Norman Greenbaum(spirit in the sky), King Crimson(21st century schizoid man), Grateful Dead(dark star), Buffalo Springfield(for what it's worth & mr. soul) Andwellas Dream(lost a number found a king).

I left out bands like The Beatles, Steppenwolf and The Doors because they're fairly popular.

Sorry for the long post, aha. I hope you like a few anyway.

Diggdydog
  • Diggdydog

Trick

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

I've decided to expand my psychedelic horizons, so this thread really is gonna be very useful! Best thread of 2012? icon14.gif

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

OP, did you trip balls yet?

Islingdopeyo
  • Islingdopeyo

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Try and get 'A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind'

Mixed by the Amorphous Androgenous aka the future sounds of London

an amazing mix of space rock from various eras, a good way to discover some rarities you might not usually find.

link

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:57 PM Edited by Cheat, 05 January 2013 - 01:53 PM.

A lot of people recognize Pink Floyd more as a prog than a psychedelic band but to me they're both. Echoes is really my favorite Floyd track, it's such a trippy zenith combining the fundamental elements of psychedelia with a breathtaking outcome.

The Doors combine powerful elements of rock such as distorted guitars and aggressive drum patterns driving their tracks forward with the soothingly irrational musical juxtapositions of psychedelia - just listen to Densmore's jazzy offbeat playing throughout.

Islingdopeyo
  • Islingdopeyo

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

^ Pink Floyds first album ' Piper at the Gates of Dawn' is pure psychedelic rock. Released the same year as Sargent Pepper but sounds lightyears apart from most other music of the time. After that they slowly evolved into prog with albums like Ummagumma(?) but by the time they got to Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon they pretty much had their own sound - that Pink Floyd sound wink.gif

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

I personally find The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn a bit too weird, really. Sounds like a dadaist compilation of random sounds not even trying to make sense, unlike psychedelia where seemingly random stuff actually connects and makes sense. Perhaps I'm just not intelligent enough to understand Syd tounge2.gif

Islingdopeyo
  • Islingdopeyo

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

No youre right it is very weird, it is the work of a man basically loosing his mind on acid (see also good vibrations by the Beach Boys) But it is 'psychedelic' with all its whimsical, wizard of oz, English fairytale themes and epic space rock jams. I dont think its a case of intelligence I heard this album on magic mushrooms once and thought I was in a different world by the 4th song, its certainly not driving music though lol

Dada would be more like early Frank Zappa who is great also for different less drug influenced reasons

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:56 PM Edited by Cosmic Gypsy, 09 January 2013 - 06:10 PM.

This has quickly become one of my favourite tracks.

at around 3:55, this track is seriously something else.

@ThePinkFloydSound Yes mate i tripped my face off the other day, best trip of my life, 3 tabs and i was absolutely gone, the peek of my trip was during 100,000 sunsets. It was playing full screen on a large HDTV in a darkened room. We never left the house because it was cold and wet. So just stayed in listening / watching crazy music.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:26 PM Edited by Cosmic Gypsy, 11 January 2013 - 05:53 PM.

Not sure if this is really psychedelic rock, but it's nice when tripping.

The One Called Vega
  • The One Called Vega

In actuality, I'm the one called 'vinvegar'...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Two great psychedelic rock albums that I cannot get enough of, in case anyone's interested, are The Rolling Stones' Their Satanic Majesties Request and The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour, among many others that I will soon add to this post.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

2 personal favourites of mine..

pro_laps
  • pro_laps

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (The Hippie @ Friday, Dec 28 2012, 07:54)

I recently discovered Shinki Chen. They call him the Japanese version of Hendrix. I don't know about that but he's good.

Good call! and great thread! Hah i just signed up to this forum... had no idea GTA fans had such good taste, seriously. ive found some of those radio stations really expand your musical horizons...especially those old school hip hop stations, i had never cared about hip hop before. but damn there is some good stuff on there, especially Vice City..

anyway, have you heard Shinki's group, Speed Glue and Shinki?

another old japanese band which have been getting more attention in recent years, Les Rallizes Denudes:

and also in that category, Flower Travellin' Band:

The Golden Cups did some pretty decent cover versions..

damn i have tons of suggestions for this topic if anyones interested

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users