The most recent version is v7.3 (7 March 2013 release).
(The video sound quality was decreased from using FRAPS, so all sounds are higher quality in actual gameplay.)
Changes from the previous version include new reloading sounds, new pitch variations, tweaked reverberation sounds, and a new sample rate (32,000Hz). This sample rate possibly fixes another bug with car horns and sirens not looping properly or being low pitched after 5-20 minutes of gameplay.
I'm also working on a sound pack that replaces all or some gun sounds with suppressed variants. This is also a work in progress.
Other popular weapon sound mods for San Andreas suffer from quite a few problems which I worked to correct in this mod. The most common ones are:
- Use of muffled / low quality audio.
- Audio duration of initial gunshot sound that is too long, and louder far shot/shock wave sounds are not utilized (this causes the rain bug).
- Audio quality that is too high (can contribute to the likelihood of various other bugs occurring).
- Sounds that abruptly end, and do not properly fade out.
- Use of computer generated sound effects that lack grit.
- Use of sound effects that are too bass-heavy.
- Use of dated Hollywood sound effects.
- Inconsistent sounds (all sounds should be similar with slight variations mostly for caliber).
- Inconsistent sound volume.
- Presence of background noise, such as high pitched clicks.
- Use of unnecessary reloading sounds within the gunshot sound that do not sync to the animation (many sound mods for rifles and shotguns have this issue).
- Use of shell casing dropping sounds within the gunshot sound that do not sync to the shell casing effect. Implementation of shell casing dropping sounds is impractical in SA anyway because the game engine is not able to discern between different surfaces such as concrete and grass.
- Player/NPC movement and camera movement will always cause gun sounds to become slightly distorted and pitch shifted (no fix for this yet).
- The reverberation sounds, which overlap initial shot sounds, are the same as distant gunshot sounds.
- There are only four reverberation sounds, so shotguns must share the same distant shot/reverberation sound as the rifle/sniper rifle.
- The minigun sound is limited to a 0.2-0.3 second loop, and cannot have reverberation.
- The RPG sound is quieter than other gun sounds, despite an even higher volume level in the .wav file.
- The second part of the reloading sound for the 9mm pistol (the slide being released) is very quiet compared to the version the desert eagle uses, despite the same volume levels in the .wav file.
- The rifle/sniper rifle only plays one part of a reloading sound instead of two (the sniper rifle doesn't have a reload animation to go with it either).
- The sound for thunder is also the explosion sound slowed down, so the explosion sound must be able to be used for both.
Mediafire (v1.0 Suppressed sounds)
You need to replace the entire bank 137, because most non-weapon sounds were shortened to compensate for having longer duration weapon sounds.
This is still a work in progress, so feedback is welcomed.