» «
Photo

[WIP | SA] Realistic Weapon Sounds

22 replies to this topic
Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:09 AM Edited by Triangulum, 08 March 2013 - 06:18 PM.

I'm working on a modification for San Andreas that adds realistic gunshot sounds that are more representative of their real-life counterparts. My goal is to have these sounds work within the constraints of SA's sound engine, so there won't be any major bugs with other sounds being affected.

The most recent version is v7.3 (7 March 2013 release).

(The video sound quality was decreased from using FRAPS, so all sounds are higher quality in actual gameplay.)

Changes from the previous version include new reloading sounds, new pitch variations, tweaked reverberation sounds, and a new sample rate (32,000Hz). This sample rate possibly fixes another bug with car horns and sirens not looping properly or being low pitched after 5-20 minutes of gameplay.

I'm also working on a sound pack that replaces all or some gun sounds with suppressed variants. This is also a work in progress.

Other popular weapon sound mods for San Andreas suffer from quite a few problems which I worked to correct in this mod. The most common ones are:
  • Use of muffled / low quality audio.
  • Audio duration of initial gunshot sound that is too long, and louder far shot/shock wave sounds are not utilized (this causes the rain bug).
  • Audio quality that is too high (can contribute to the likelihood of various other bugs occurring).
  • Sounds that abruptly end, and do not properly fade out.
  • Use of computer generated sound effects that lack grit.
  • Use of sound effects that are too bass-heavy.
  • Use of dated Hollywood sound effects.
  • Inconsistent sounds (all sounds should be similar with slight variations mostly for caliber).
  • Inconsistent sound volume.
  • Presence of background noise, such as high pitched clicks.
  • Use of unnecessary reloading sounds within the gunshot sound that do not sync to the animation (many sound mods for rifles and shotguns have this issue).
  • Use of shell casing dropping sounds within the gunshot sound that do not sync to the shell casing effect. Implementation of shell casing dropping sounds is impractical in SA anyway because the game engine is not able to discern between different surfaces such as concrete and grass.
However, note that due to limitations in the sound engine, it's very difficult to have realistic sounds for the following reasons:
  • Player/NPC movement and camera movement will always cause gun sounds to become slightly distorted and pitch shifted (no fix for this yet).
  • The reverberation sounds, which overlap initial shot sounds, are the same as distant gunshot sounds.
  • There are only four reverberation sounds, so shotguns must share the same distant shot/reverberation sound as the rifle/sniper rifle.
  • The minigun sound is limited to a 0.2-0.3 second loop, and cannot have reverberation.
  • The RPG sound is quieter than other gun sounds, despite an even higher volume level in the .wav file.
  • The second part of the reloading sound for the 9mm pistol (the slide being released) is very quiet compared to the version the desert eagle uses, despite the same volume levels in the .wav file.
  • The rifle/sniper rifle only plays one part of a reloading sound instead of two (the sniper rifle doesn't have a reload animation to go with it either).
  • The sound for thunder is also the explosion sound slowed down, so the explosion sound must be able to be used for both.
The mod is available to download here:
Mediafire (v7.3)
Mediafire (v1.0 Suppressed sounds)

You need to replace the entire bank 137, because most non-weapon sounds were shortened to compensate for having longer duration weapon sounds.

This is still a work in progress, so feedback is welcomed.

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Sweet, been subscribing your channel in YouTube since v4.0, and it has been coming along nicely since then, I really love your sounds! smile.gif

All of those sound natural, not general game-style that are made with programs but actual weapon sounds.

ThirteenAG
  • ThirteenAG

Soldier

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

I think minigun sound is weird, you should replace it to something less annoying. And, version for GTA3 and VC would be nice.

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (ThirteenAG @ Friday, Nov 30 2012, 16:30)
I think minigun sound is weird, you should replace it to something less annoying. And, version for GTA3 and VC would be nice.

As I stated in the original post, the minigun sound is rendered as a very short loop, so any realistic sound cannot be made for it without being able to hear it repeat in certain intervals.

However, I did create an alternate sound for version 6.3 that you can try, it's available to download now.

ThirteenAG
  • ThirteenAG

Soldier

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (Triangulum @ Friday, Nov 30 2012, 18:32)
QUOTE (ThirteenAG @ Friday, Nov 30 2012, 16:30)

As I stated in the original post, the minigun sound is rendered as a very short loop, so any realistic sound cannot be made for it without being able to hear it repeat in certain intervals.

However, I did create an alternate sound for version 6.3 that you can try, it's available to download now.

I'm more interested of gta3/vc version, because I have weapon sound replacement in sa. However, I will try your sounds later.

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (Triangulum @ Friday, Nov 30 2012, 08:09)
  • Suppressed pistol: There is no far shot/tail/shock wave sound for this gun when there should be, unless you assume that it's using very subsonic ammo.

That can be fixed either by using CLEO or writing a standalone ASI plugin.

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (SilentPL @ Saturday, Dec 1 2012, 14:33)

• Suppressed pistol: There is no far shot/tail/shock wave sound for this gun when there should be, unless you assume that it's using very subsonic ammo.

Of course best would be to have CLEO/ASI-script which would allow multiple sounds to be used for each weapon, have a separate folder for weapon-sounds. If sounds aren't found for specific weapon, then the script would just allow usage of original sounds from GENRL.

But the problem is, who would make that kind of script for such an old game? Many skilled scripters have lots of projects already going on.

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (oksa8 @ Saturday, Dec 1 2012, 13:41)
Of course best would be to have CLEO/ASI-script which would allow multiple sounds to be used for each weapon, have a separate folder for weapon-sounds. If sounds aren't found for specific weapon, then the script would just allow usage of original sounds from GENRL.

But the problem is, who would make that kind of script for such an old game? Many skilled scripters have lots of projects already going on.

Audio system is a mess, not really worth digging into that much.

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (oksa8 @ Saturday, Dec 1 2012, 12:41)

A script allowing alternate sounds wouldn't do much to enhance the game, unless it fixes all of the major bugs and inconsistencies with the audio system (most notably the fact that camera/player movement will distort close gun sounds).

I released a new version that's available for download too.

Gramps
  • Gramps

★★★★★

• Feroci
  • New-Zealand

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Your sounds keep getting better and better mate ! I've been a fan since around v4, and this mod has always been in my MUST-HAVE pile.

Any chance you could re-do the car/vehicle sounds?

d3jan
  • d3jan

Prime

• Members
  • Macedonia

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:28 PM Edited by d3jan, 30 December 2012 - 12:50 AM.

the sounds are awsome smile.gif icon14.gif
actually the idea to make CLEO/ASI scripts for every weapon to have his own sound is great, but the problem is who will make. biggrin.gif

EDIT: and i would like to see a comparison with echo and without echo, i think without echo would be better, but i can't tell untill... biggrin.gif

HPro
  • HPro

Time to be a Ghost

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

Can you make them compatible/fusion with Rakkos Sound 4.4 GENRL? Thx

Gramps
  • Gramps

★★★★★

• Feroci
  • New-Zealand

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (HPro @ Sunday, Dec 30 2012, 20:08)

Thats just dumb .. they would overwrite each other ..

You could easily make them 'compatible' yourself, by extracting your favourite sounds from each mod ..

HPro
  • HPro

Time to be a Ghost

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (methodunderg @ Monday, Dec 31 2012, 07:47)
QUOTE (HPro @ Sunday, Dec 30 2012, 20:08)

Thats just dumb .. they would overwrite each other ..

You could easily make them 'compatible' yourself, by extracting your favourite sounds from each mod ..

I know but working realistic sounds with rakkos car sound without rain bug? U understand

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

@HPro

Rakko's sound mod already has the rain bug, it would mean tweaking ALL sounds to remove it. Not worth it, especially when there are better sound mods without rain bug.

HPro
  • HPro

Time to be a Ghost

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (oksa8 @ Monday, Dec 31 2012, 10:35)
@HPro

Rakko's sound mod already has the rain bug, it would mean tweaking ALL sounds to remove it. Not worth it, especially when there are better sound mods without rain bug.

true but i've wanted to use Rakkos Vehicle sounds sad.gif

jackusCTB
  • jackusCTB

Peon

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (oksa8 @ Saturday, Dec 1 2012, 12:41)
QUOTE (SilentPL @ Saturday, Dec 1 2012, 14:33)

About specific weapon features script, is there a way so every weapon has its own muzzle flash?

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

@jackusCTB

Yes, DK22Pac has been working on a mod for it with fixed muzzle flash position. It MIGHT be included in Overdose Effects v1.5 Part Two.

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

I found that Ryosuke's Weapon Limiter tool allows for customization of weapon sound IDs and the pitch of individual weapons.
The 9mm pistol can now sound more similar to the SMGs without affecting the Desert Eagle's sound, and the suppressed 9mm pistol can have a reverberation sound. However, the minigun sound still can't be changed from its 0.2-0.3 second loop.

Infamous Ob
  • Infamous Ob

Infamous Ob

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

That Suppressed 9mm almost made me melt...lol It sounds perfect. Alot of positive feedback on your YouTube Channel as well despite the "technical guys" mentioning the reverberation and the Mini-gun's sounds. Overall these are nice. It would be nice to have something like this for Vice City.

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Got any idea why Weapon Limit Adjuster makes my San Andreas crash? I can't get past the first cutscene, and even staying in menu for few minutes will crash.

Though, great job! smile.gif

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (oksa8 @ Thursday, Jan 24 2013, 20:57)
Got any idea why Weapon Limit Adjuster makes my San Andreas crash? I can't get past the first cutscene, and even staying in menu for few minutes will crash.

Though, great job! smile.gif

From what I've read, using anything other than the v1.0 .exe will cause it to crash.

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

Version 7.3
This includes a possible bug fix for car horns and sirens that do not loop properly after a certain amount of gameplay.

Also, a few suppressed sounds I'm working on, for those who use alternate suppressed weapons:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users