return the slaaaab

65 replies to this topic
HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

Moe Boats

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

When I was about 4 I was sleeping in my grandmas bedroom at like 7 at night and I woke up to this red sweater floating over a pitch black background on the f*cking T.V. screen and I swear to god that scared the living sh*t out of me. I don't know what T.V show this was on, but that was the scariest damn thing I ever saw when I was little. I also had nightmares about rolling down a big ass hill in all of these different cars and this one where I was driven off of a cliff.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

Courage the Cowardly Dog was awesome, i f*cking loved that show. I have to say though, i didn't really find the things you mentioned scary at all, but then again, i used to watch horror movies a lot back then, so maybe that's the reason. confused.gif

EverBlazin
  • EverBlazin

Peon

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

IMO 80s stuff was way more messed up. The rugrats ep with the big baby is probably the only I remember actually scaring me. Gremlins scared the crap out of me as a kid.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Reading this forum was a nostalgic experience. I truly miss these shows. These were not only very creative, but as one member said previously they had something for everybody. It's funny how everything is the same these days. Life it seems is becoming a meme or fad. All these kids say they want to be unique, but in trying to do so they end up failing because everyone else want to be unique too. One person goes to change their life in this new unique way and before you know it everybody is doing it, so as cliche as it sounds they would be better off trying to be themselves than they would be trying to be unique because in being themselves they end up being unique.

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Freaky Fred gave me the f*cking chills, so did when Euriel got possessed. After being a kid watching courage, and watching it now, it is impressive and strange how they pulled off such a... sadistic show for children. I don't see anything close to Courage, but I have seen a few Cartoon Network shows (now-a-days) that have the same sense of humor, borderline adult humor, but fits it into a kids show.

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (Melchior @ Tuesday, Nov 27 2012, 02:32)
I've been using 99.9% of my brain function to try and discover why in the hell kid's shows of our generation relied so heavily on intense, psychological horror to propel the narrative. Let me illustrate the distinction: psychological horror, as I would define it, is where something that isn't really scary in and of itself, but the (often very subtle) implications are terrifying, or just mildly disturbing. I've noticed that a great deal of the kids shows in the nineties were just... f*cked up to the point that they still terrify me today. I'd honestly like to know why today's children get My Little Pony and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and we got THIS.

I'd actually like to know why this is, but since we probably won't discover that, we can just provide examples of the entertainment geared towards us freaking us the f*ck out. Here are some examples off the top of my head:
  • The episode of the Rugrats where Angelica's parents are thinking of having another child, and Angelica has a dream where she's devoured horribly by her new sibling.
  • Rugrats, when Angelica tells a horror story about a child being horrifically eaten by a monster.
  • Rugrats again where Chuckie sees the world as if he was never born ala It's a Wonderful Life and everyone's lives are in shambles: his father becomes a schizophrenic mess, surrounded by rotting food and cockroaches, Phil and Lil's parents have their home destroyed by their children, and tommy and his family are starved and enslaved by Angelica, forced to cook her cookies endlessly while she's extremely fat. The creators seemed to have some weird thing with eating-related horror. Seriously, what the f*ck?
  • Hey Arnold where they tell the story of the Ghost Bride, a white, ghostly figure in a wedding gown and veil that eventually hacks one of the characters to bits off camera (no idea what the f*ck was up with that, because it actually happened) and was perpetually humming the wedding march. What made this particularly disconcerting (I actually remember crying and being unable to sleep afterward) was that the episode took place at night and being completely white made her stand out against the black mist of the cemetery. She just just looked like she didn't belong, and that combined with her slow movement made her seem... unstoppable? I obviously knew by age 6 or 7 or whatever that ghosts weren't real but the very idea of it was quite disturbing.
  • The above episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog, King Ramses' Curse. There's his creepy theme music, his inhuman voice and just... the way he moves. He doesn't move like he has a semi-functioning nervous system the way Romero zombies do, he seems like he doesn't walk, and moves his arms stiffly to express himself, like that is actually what a corpse reanimated with black magic would look like. It still scares the sh*t out of me today. Uncanny Valley, or what? I named the topic after him because I assumed anyone who remembered it would instantly get chills the second they placed that quote.

I can still remember that King Rameses episode in Courage the Cowardly Dog.
I just can't believe I'd see in among the cartoon episodes you've typed.

Melchior
  • Melchior

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (DODI3OG @ Tuesday, Nov 27 2012, 23:00)
I just can't believe I'd see in among the cartoon episodes you've typed.

Why?

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:39 PM Edited by John The Grudge, 27 November 2012 - 01:48 PM.

I recall a cartoon feature from my childhood called Scruffy. It's about a little puppy called scruffy. In the beginning there's a nice dog. It's owners are moving house but the new landlord wont allo pets so they have to leave it behind, tied to a pipe for a neighbour to collect. The dog, scared and confused, breaks her lead and runs into the empty house to find her masters. At this point the neighbour comes by only to find the dog is gone and not responding to her calls. The dog is in the empty house giving birth to a puppy. I don't want to ruin it but I'll list a few points that are ahead:

SPOILERS

House demolished while dog and puppy inside.

Dog escapes into the wintry unknown.

Eventually come across loving man at building site who takes them in.

Untrusting, the mother dog eventually insists they must leave.

She is shot dead by hunters and lies lifeless in the snow. Puppy must now fend for itself.

Eventually taken in by friendly tramp, who upon seeing that the puppy can do tricks, sees that the two of them make a good team and perform for change on the street. They are happy.

Evil man tries to steel their money and they flee.

Friendly tramp collapses onto the rain soaked pavement and dies of a heart attack. Scruffy (so named by the tramp) is once again alone.

Puppy scared and alone falls into river after car almost runs her over but is saved by friendly dog called butch.

Butch takes little scruffy to scrap yard where she's taken in by group of friendly, homeless dogs. One of the dogs nurses an old boot that she believes is her long gone puppy.

Butch is mauled by bad dog but survives.

Bad dog, tired of getting beaten by his wicked master, returns to scrap yard dogs in hope of getting taken in.

All are captured by scary animal shelter people and taken to a place where unwanted stray dogs are put down.

Happy ending.

Now it's all bloody tinky winky and other brain rotting garbage.

Tinky winky dances around while making wierd noises and looking gay.

Tinky winky and co watch an annoying video on their bellies that goes on too long.

After video is finally over Tinky winky and co say "again again" and video is showed again in it's entirety.

Gay vacuum cleaner sucks up stuff.

Something about ninky nonk.

Toup
  • Toup

Group: Cheesedicks

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

That penguin from Wallace and Gromit used to freak me out.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Tuesday, Nov 27 2012, 02:15)
Here is the Swedish version, I understand bits and pieces, but it doesn't matter, watch the first probably 2 minutes closely, you'll see why it would scare kids, it even scared the sh*t out of me just then actually, I remember this scene pretty vividly. If you keep watching to about the 2:40 line you'll hear the scary as f*ck noise it makes and it just continues to get creepier after that. Epoxi and roebuck I recommend it.

Woah, I remember that, it's still terrifying.

I can't remember if I called it the Groke or Merco, or if I called it anything at all, I just remember reading "The Groke" on the internet, saw a picture and was like "OMG IT'S HIM!!! cry.gif "

@GTA_stu: Yes, the back-story is awful too. I'd want to help the Groke but I'd be too damn scared.

The Yardies

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Tuesday, Nov 27 2012, 17:37)
I can't remember if I called it the Groke or Merco, or if I called it anything at all, I just remember reading "The Groke" on the internet, saw a picture and was like "OMG IT'S HIM!!! cry.gif "

I think the name in the English translation is indeed the Groke.

And btw the original Finnish name is Mörkö.

TheKryptonite
  • TheKryptonite

The World is Yours

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (rotipuj @ Monday, Nov 26 2012, 18:48)
Lol yeah I remember that episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog. I dunno why the hell they showed it. It scared me and my brothers. I wasn't able to sleep alone in my room for like a month. Hell it scares me a bit even now. I used to watch Courage daily and after this episode I stopped watching and I have watched like only 10 more episodes to this day.

"You're not perfect."

*shudders*

EDMEISTERX
  • EDMEISTERX

My gun is my word,uncensored of course.

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Ahhh....Such nostalgia.I used to watch this when I was still in kindergarten,grew up watching Courage,Billy and Mandy,Samurai Jack and Dexter's Lab,they even still air those shows over here in Eastern\Northern Europe,freakin' loved those shows,only good kids shows nowadays are Adventure Time and Regular Show.If I remember correctly,there was something a little scary in a few episodes in those shows.But really my childhood favorite has to be Billy and Mandy.I guess my whole childhood was a bit scary,I even played Silent Hill on the PS1 when I was 5...Modern day kids shows aren't really that...creative and dandy.Back in ye old days pretty much every kids show was different,and that was just great.And,to some degree,those scary kids shows toughened up a few....But really those kids shows were really just wonderful.I loved them.

agent17
  • agent17

Absolution

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

This is what creeped me out the most when I used to watch CTCD when I was young (wait for the part when the violin girl shows up).

And King Ramses is just freaking creepy. If you really wanna get creeped out by him keep watching 'return the slab'. It'll kick in eventually.

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (Mockage @ Tuesday, Nov 27 2012, 23:42)
This is what creeped me out the most when I used to watch CTCD when I was young (wait for the part when the violin girl shows up).

And King Ramses is just freaking creepy. If you really wanna get creeped out by him keep watching 'return the slab'. It'll kick in eventually.

If there's anything to be learned from your post and the one above you it's simply the fact that changing the animation style of a show can completely terrify someone, even bad CGI like Ramses and that blue "thing" makes them appear more alien in nature and as such scares the sh*t out of us.

Think about it, everything and anything becomes predictable in reality, we know for a fact it's a physical impossibility for bugs to be thirty feet tall, we knew it was possible in Courage The Cowardly Dog but the way they'd freak us out simply by showing us stuff that's not expected - switching the animation style - can affect everything, even low quality claw animation if timed properly can freak the living crap out of pretty much anyone.

I'm starting to wonder if these "producers" would've been better of writing top quality horror films ...

Sneakerhead.
  • Sneakerhead.

☛✔Goals Achieved: 1/1☚

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (guib @ Monday, Nov 26 2012, 22:12)
I remember this one episode of Hey Arnold, where they where in the futere, but Arnolds grandpa was still alive and very creepy, anyway, at the end of it, his jaw would fall off.
Creeped me out when I was little!

Goddamnit, why dafuq did you have to bring that "memory" up! user posted image

EDMEISTERX
  • EDMEISTERX

My gun is my word,uncensored of course.

• Members

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

user posted image

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Nov 27 2012, 17:53)
If there's anything to be learned from your post and the one above you it's simply the fact that changing the animation style of a show can completely terrify someone, even bad CGI like Ramses and that blue "thing" makes them appear more alien in nature and as such scares the sh*t out of us.

Think about it, everything and anything becomes predictable in reality, we know for a fact it's a physical impossibility for bugs to be thirty feet tall, we knew it was possible in Courage The Cowardly Dog but the way they'd freak us out simply by showing us stuff that's not expected - switching the animation style - can affect everything, even low quality claw animation if timed properly can freak the living crap out of pretty much anyone.

I'm starting to wonder if these "producers" would've been better of writing top quality horror films ...

I agree with you, even going from reality to cartoon can be unnerving

Sneakerhead.
  • Sneakerhead.

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

^Lol dafuq is going on with his eyes. alien.gif

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (Pagelzilla @ Wednesday, Nov 28 2012, 15:50)
QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Nov 27 2012, 17:53)

I agree with you, even going from reality to cartoon can be unnerving

Definitely. Who Framed Roger Rabbit pulled that off to an exceptionally high standard, to see the guy that wants to build the massive superhighway right through the town was actually one of them the whole time freaked me the crap out, then again when you've got the tools readily at your disposal like a lot of these kids shows/films there's possibilities for all types of different stuff to be tried out.

I think the actual reason we display that kind of fear is because it's entirely unexpected, when you think you know what's going to happen and then BLAM ! something completely out of the ordinary, even for the extraordinary worlds in which these events take place shocks you out of your seat.

It may not seem like much to us now that we're older, but trust me when I say that even that simplest most minimalistic of changes can have great affect on what you see, just changing his eyes and only his eyes in the scene above demonstrates the resounding impact minor changes can actually have.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The vulgar, Irish, writer!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

The nineties didn't have it bad; the eighties had this.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I can't believe I found this.

Sneakerhead.
  • Sneakerhead.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Friday, Nov 30 2012, 16:16)

The person who uploaded the video said that the song released in 2008!?!?
What.....The.....F*ck.........?!user posted image

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Mamba

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Aint the Return of the Slab From Mc Dounalds or sum sh*t like that? barf8bd.gif

agent17
  • agent17

Absolution

• Members

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (GTAction99 @ Friday, Nov 30 2012, 11:31)
QUOTE (goin-god @ Friday, Nov 30 2012, 16:16)

The person who uploaded the video said that the song released in 2008!?!?
What.....The.....F*ck.........?!user posted image

I'm pretty sure that the composer released the OST on his website at that time, along with the greatest musical score in the show:

Melchior
  • Melchior

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (ROCKSTAR MANIC @ Saturday, Dec 1 2012, 02:35)
Aint the Return of the Slab From Mc Dounalds or sum sh*t like that? barf8bd.gif

"Return the slab". Because they stole his slab. Just watch the video.

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Thursday, Nov 29 2012, 13:45)

The nineties didn't have it bad; the eighties had this.

JE-SUS CHRIST. When the face turns to a scull at the end I about shat myself.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Sorry for the bump but... When I was younger, Spongebob was scary sometimes.
That episode with the Hash Slinging Slasher used to give me nightmares.
That clip with the 80s cartoon that Ziggy455 posted also used to scare me.
I have no idea why cartoons were so scary back then.

Melchior
  • Melchior

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Thursday, Jan 3 2013, 23:25)
Sorry for the bump but... When I was younger, Spongebob was scary sometimes.
That episode with the Hash Slinging Slasher used to give me nightmares.

Where Nosferatu appears at the end? That scared the crap out of me. There's also an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark or something where he comes out of the television and kills children.. that particular vampire is not suitable for kids.

Also thanks for bumping my awesome thread. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users