return the slaaaab

65 replies to this topic
Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

I've been using 99.9% of my brain function to try and discover why in the hell kid's shows of our generation relied so heavily on intense, psychological horror to propel the narrative. Let me illustrate the distinction: psychological horror, as I would define it, is where something that isn't really scary in and of itself, but the (often very subtle) implications are terrifying, or just mildly disturbing. I've noticed that a great deal of the kids shows in the nineties were just... f*cked up to the point that they still terrify me today. I'd honestly like to know why today's children get My Little Pony and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and we got THIS.

I'd actually like to know why this is, but since we probably won't discover that, we can just provide examples of the entertainment geared towards us freaking us the f*ck out. Here are some examples off the top of my head:
  • The episode of the Rugrats where Angelica's parents are thinking of having another child, and Angelica has a dream where she's devoured horribly by her new sibling.
  • Rugrats, when Angelica tells a horror story about a child being horrifically eaten by a monster.
  • Rugrats again where Chuckie sees the world as if he was never born ala It's a Wonderful Life and everyone's lives are in shambles: his father becomes a schizophrenic mess, surrounded by rotting food and cockroaches, Phil and Lil's parents have their home destroyed by their children, and tommy and his family are starved and enslaved by Angelica, forced to cook her cookies endlessly while she's extremely fat. The creators seemed to have some weird thing with eating-related horror. Seriously, what the f*ck?
  • Hey Arnold where they tell the story of the Ghost Bride, a white, ghostly figure in a wedding gown and veil that eventually hacks one of the characters to bits off camera (no idea what the f*ck was up with that, because it actually happened) and was perpetually humming the wedding march. What made this particularly disconcerting (I actually remember crying and being unable to sleep afterward) was that the episode took place at night and being completely white made her stand out against the black mist of the cemetery. She just just looked like she didn't belong, and that combined with her slow movement made her seem... unstoppable? I obviously knew by age 6 or 7 or whatever that ghosts weren't real but the very idea of it was quite disturbing.
  • The above episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog, King Ramses' Curse. There's his creepy theme music, his inhuman voice and just... the way he moves. He doesn't move like he has a semi-functioning nervous system the way Romero zombies do, he seems like he doesn't walk, and moves his arms stiffly to express himself, like that is actually what a corpse reanimated with black magic would look like. It still scares the sh*t out of me today. Uncanny Valley, or what? I named the topic after him because I assumed anyone who remembered it would instantly get chills the second they placed that quote.

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Lol yeah I remember that episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog. I dunno why the hell they showed it. It scared me and my brothers. I wasn't able to sleep alone in my room for like a month. Hell it scares me a bit even now. I used to watch Courage daily and after this episode I stopped watching and I have watched like only 10 more episodes to this day.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (rotipuj @ Tuesday, Nov 27 2012, 04:48)
Lol yeah I remember that episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog. I dunno why the hell they showed it. It scared me and my brothers. I wasn't able to sleep alone in my room for like a month. Hell it scares me a bit even now. I used to watch Courage daily and after this episode I stopped watching and I have watched like only 10 more episodes to this day.

I read somewhere that the show was originally supposed to be a Twilight Zone-esque, live action horror show, but the budget went to sh*t so they had to make it a cartoon. Not sure about the validity of that but yeah, it would explain why that show exists in the first place, but not why anyone sees fit to show it to children catspider.gif

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

These never really scared me. I was a bit older than a kid for Courage, but most of those didn't really affect me. I actually love freaky stuff like Courage, that is one of my favorite shows. I really love freaky surreal sh*t like that. Heck I am reading Clive Barker short stories.

It is interesting. I would like to find out too.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Courage the Cowardly Dog was pure class. That was an awesome show. The things you mention never scared me.

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

All the shows you mentioned were amazing. Courage the Cowardly Dog especially. <3

stu
  • stu

I'm finished.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

I can remember each of those examples, TV was definitely not one for the feint of heart back then. Goosebumps was the scariest for me though, I mean I had nightmares over that show, proper actual nightmares. I remember one where a family bought an old Egyptian sarcophagus and put it in the basement, then the parents went away and the young boy was left with his older sister and (I think) her boyfriend. They locked him in the basement and then the f*cking mummy came out and started moving towards him. Traumatising stuff for a young boy who had a real life tormenting sister. I remember that night I was in my room and heard something scratching at my bedroom door and I screamed like a motherf*cker for my mum and dad to come save me from the mummy. Turned out it was just my cat, Marmalade. But how was I to know that!

Another scary show I remember was The Demon Headmaster. But even stuff like the Queens Nose, Grange Hill and Biker Grove which wasn't intended to be scary could be scary, or have strong elements of danger in them which just shat you up and made you think "maybe I won't play out tonight". Now perhaps I was just a little pussy, but every thing just seemed to be scary on TV back then. Probably a bit of both.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Yeah, now that I think about it a lot of cartoons when we were younger look like they're meant to scare the living sh*t out of us.

Slightly off topic but meh, I miss Courage the Cowardly Dog that show was great - though it did freak out my family a little when I watched it, especially when the sequel to the pilot was aired, in which a headless cooked chicken demands Courage to rip off his head so that the chicken can wear it, if Courage doesn't comply the chicken would rip of Muriel's head.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:05 PM Edited by epoxi, 26 November 2012 - 07:07 PM.

I don't think much has changed, I love Adventure Time but it can creep me out every now and then, SpongeBob has had some scary episodes too.

That said, for me nothing comes close to The Groke in the Moomins.

user posted image

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Pent Kaul

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

There was this old kids show that was on pbs about tugboats. Imagine Thomas the train mixing with boats. It scared the hell out of me, and I never want to see it again

Melchior
  • Melchior

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Kids TV writers also seemed to have some weird fascination with slavery, like in one of my Rugrats examples, or the first episode of Samurai Jack. Like, not the dynamics of realistic slavery, but a group of people being emaciated, wearing rags, often turning a wheel by hand. I remember it being pretty disturbing, then when me and my friends got older we started to find it hilarious because it's so ridiculously impractical to treat slaves like that and it seemed like the writers were just deeply disturbed. Anyone else notice that?

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Monday, Nov 26 2012, 13:02)
I can remember each of those examples, TV was definitely not one for the feint of heart back then. Goosebumps was the scariest for me though, I mean I had nightmares over that show, proper actual nightmares. I remember one where a family bought an old Egyptian sarcophagus and put it in the basement, then the parents went away and the young boy was left with his older sister and (I think) her boyfriend. They locked him in the basement and then the f*cking mummy came out and started moving towards him. Traumatising stuff for a young boy who had a real life tormenting sister. I remember that night I was in my room and heard something scratching at my bedroom door and I screamed like a motherf*cker for my mum and dad to come save me from the mummy. Turned out it was just my cat, Marmalade. But how was I to know that!

Another scary show I remember was The Demon Headmaster. But even stuff like the Queens Nose, Grange Hill and Biker Grove which wasn't intended to be scary could be scary, or have strong elements of danger in them which just shat you up and made you think "maybe I won't play out tonight". Now perhaps I was just a little pussy, but every thing just seemed to be scary on TV back then. Probably a bit of both.

Goosebumps was nothing, Are You Afraid Of The Dark was god damned terrifying on the other hand. That one episode where they find a burial under an indoor pool and some kind of terrifying, rotting, specter-zombie thing starts forming out of vents, terrorizing people and disappearing again. I couldn't sleep properly for weeks after that, like, I was terrified in my bed, with two doors wide open, light pouring in, unable to sleep because I thought something was going to come out of the vents and murderize me.

Tyler
  • Tyler

This is gonna take crackerjack timing, Wang.

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Still love Courage.

user posted image

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

That Courage episode haunted me for years seriously. I re-watched it recently though and it was actually pretty comical despite being the root of my childhood fears. But wait that's not the only thing freaky about Courage!

#1 on that list fits all too well with your definition of psychological horror. God, that show was good.

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

Big Homie

• Members
  • Palau

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

It's not meant to be terrifying, and it isn't even scary to most people, but Jay Jay The Jetplane always seemed a bit strange to me. When I was young I had a dream about flying with him in a storm, and I had to hold on to his wing to survive, but he kept trying to talk to me and I couldn't look at him without feeling incredibly awkward and scared, it was like if you'd try to talk to your father but he had a huge gash in the middle of his face that also prevented him from speaking clearly and you really wanted to hear what he had to say, but didn't want to actually have to focus on him.

They played a ten hour Candle Cove marathon some time in the late 90s. Somebody managed to capture it with Video Home System Recording hardware. tounge2.gif

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (zoo3891 @ Monday, Nov 26 2012, 20:34)
It's not meant to be terrifying, and it isn't even scary to most people, but Jay Jay The Jetplane always seemed a bit strange to me. When I was young I had a dream about flying with him in a storm, and I had to hold on to his wing to survive, but he kept trying to talk to me and I couldn't look at him without feeling incredibly awkward and scared, it was like if you'd try to talk to your father but he had a huge gash in the middle of his face that also prevented him from speaking clearly and you really wanted to hear what he had to say, but didn't want to actually have to focus on him.

They played a ten hour Candle Cove marathon some time in the late 90s. Somebody managed to capture it with Video Home System Recording hardware.  tounge2.gif

You bastard, I was starting to believe that it was real again. I wonder if there's ever actually been a televised program that was so screwy with kids, oh yeah now I remember ....

TheLostBiker
  • TheLostBiker

DJ WildLost

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Adler @ Monday, Nov 26 2012, 15:31)
That Courage episode haunted me for years seriously. I re-watched it recently though and it was actually pretty comical despite being the root of my childhood fears. But wait that's not the only thing freaky about Courage!

#1 on that list fits all too well with your definition of psychological horror. God, that show was good.

I loved courage. That "return the slab" scared the hell out of me though.

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

In my heaven, there are no gods.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:39 PM Edited by HUGOHL, 26 November 2012 - 09:45 PM.

I loved Invader Zim, it was really creepy and horrifying, it's not that old, but I remind seeing it everyday after school biggrin.gif
And this episode of Hey Arnold almost made me sh*t as a kid biggrin.gif

(IDK what happens with the video, but I guess you'll remember the episode smile.gif

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Monday, Nov 26 2012, 18:39)
I loved Invader Zim, it was really creepy and horrifying, it's not that old, but I remind seeing it everyday after school biggrin.gif

Yeah, that show was following the style.
Like The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, I loved this one as well. I think it was one of the last cartoons I used to watch.

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Monday, Nov 26 2012, 19:02)

what you didn't know was marmalade was possessed by evil Egyptian mummy souls

Dragonjack
  • Dragonjack

Moving on to a new account.

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

I haven't heard about that show and i'm pretty sure its been aired in our country am I correct? Well its quite scary what the OP was saying in his own words. It sort of gave me the Goosebumps to be honest. I don't normally read horror books in my time, i'm more of a horror movie watcher actually. biggrin.gif

roebuck34
  • roebuck34

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Monday, Nov 26 2012, 19:05)
I don't think much has changed, I love Adventure Time but it can creep me out every now and then, SpongeBob has had some scary episodes too.

user posted image

I loven the groke When i was a kid tough i was sh*t scared off the little girl..., the hairy thing too cant remeber his name And the ice princes sorry that i dont know the english name of them

guib
  • guib

Do you hear the Whisper Men? The Whisper Men Are Near.

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

I remember this one episode of Hey Arnold, where they where in the futere, but Arnolds grandpa was still alive and very creepy, anyway, at the end of it, his jaw would fall off.
Creeped me out when I was little!

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Holy crap. I remember that, you are right.

Stig
  • Stig

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:49 PM Edited by RadioIsotope, 26 November 2012 - 10:56 PM.

Look at it like this, kid's now a days will grow up to be somewhat useless and boring. Watching show's that only make them happy and laugh and giggle and how cool having swag is. As a 90's kid, these creepy episodes kept you grounded. They made you scared and when they did.. they didn't do it softly, they really wanted you to sh*t your pants. Which is why kids (like myself) who watched all the good shows growin up (Doug, Hey Arnold, Courage, Dexters Lab, Ren and Stimpy, Pinky & The Brain, etc. etc. etc.) know what it's like to be creative and harness the ability to be creative.

Watching shows like that when you were a kid.., you didn't just watch them, you absorbed them. They were stories that would actually stick with you and maybe even teach you something, oooor scare the living sh*t out of you. (Ah! Real Monsters, anybody?) There was a reason why there were so many different cartoons and styles of cartoons back in the day. Now what are there, 4-5? If you're lucky.

I don't really care what anyone says, but watching these cartoons growing up DID have an affect on how you think, and it DID have an affect on how you acted. Whether or not you even realized it when you were a kid, but who didn't want to be Tommy Pickles, or Dexter, or Johnny Bravo, or Ed Edd and Eddy, or Skeeter Valentine, hell, who didn't want to be Dag or Norbert? Living in a beaver dam all by themselves!

Having all those hundreds of different styles of cartoons made kids unique, and it made them want to be unique. Something that has truly been lost in time. Where as kids now all want to watch the same show, about the same person, doing the same thing everyday of their miserable life. "I WANNA BE JUST LIKE HANNAH MONTANA OH EM GEE I WANNA LOOK PRETTY AND HAVE A RICH DADDY AND BE PRETTY AND BE FAMOUS AND BE PRETTY".

I'm sorry, I know this is a ridiculously long post. I'm not adamant about many things but if there's one thing I'm extremely adamant about, it's my old cartoons that I grew up watching, something that I'll never forget.

user posted image

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

In my heaven, there are no gods.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (guib @ Monday, Nov 26 2012, 22:12)
I remember this one episode of Hey Arnold, where they where in the futere, but Arnolds grandpa was still alive and very creepy, anyway, at the end of it, his jaw would fall off.
Creeped me out when I was little!

Oh yeah! I remember that too! That
Was damn creepy!

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:15 AM Edited by finn4life, 27 November 2012 - 01:19 AM.

QUOTE (roebuck34 @ Tuesday, Nov 27 2012, 08:58)
QUOTE (epoxi @ Monday, Nov 26 2012, 19:05)

user posted image

I loven the groke When i was a kid tough i was sh*t scared off the little girl..., the hairy thing too cant remeber his name And the ice princes sorry that i dont know the english name of them

The Groke? Wtf kinda name is that? I watched this series as a kid all the time in Finnish and Morko pronounced Mer-co (As in merc (short for mercedes) and co (as in Samsung and co) would give me nightmares, that thing was creepy as f*ck, Froze everything, made some creepy rumbling noise and it was rumoured to eat people, it scared the balls off me, that was about the only thing I could remember that really scared me in a kids show.

@Hugohl Yeah wtf? What's up with that?
@The lost biker, I remember that, It's unbelievable huh?

Here is the Swedish version, I understand bits and pieces, but it doesn't matter, watch the first probably 2 minutes closely, you'll see why it would scare kids, it even scared the sh*t out of me just then actually, I remember this scene pretty vividly. If you keep watching to about the 2:40 line you'll hear the scary as f*ck noise it makes and it just continues to get creepier after that. Epoxi and roebuck I recommend it.

stu
  • stu

I'm finished.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

The Groke is an awesome name. Also:

it is mentioned that she has a tail, but it has never been seen. Wherever she stands, the ground below her freezes and plants and grass die. She leaves a trace of ice and snow when she walks the ground. Anything she touches will freeze and on one instance she froze a camp fire by sitting down on it. She seeks friendship and warmth, but she is declined by everyone and everything, leaving her in her cold cavern on top of the Lonely Mountains.

I mean come on, have a heart! Poor thing. I think that's the saddest thing I've ever read. It's sadder than kittens drowning in a bucket full of their mother's tears.

Pow right in the childhood.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

#1 most disturbing Courage the Cowardly Dog episodes, somehow reminds of that movie Coraline

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users