Photo

Who's Who In Grand Theft Auto V

46 replies to this topic
caiaof
  • caiaof

Amputechture

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

You’ve read the cover story. You’ve watched the trailers. Now, get a closer look at the three men whose stories define Rockstar’s next open-world epic.

If you’ve somehow managed to miss the news, this latest Grand Theft Auto doesn’t have one hero; it has three. What’s more, their sagas are intertwined throughout the entire game. During most of the game you can switch instantly between characters, experiencing the events of GTA V from three very different perspectives.

To give the game dramatic heft and variety, these characters are vastly different in temperament, background, and skills. By constantly moving from character to character, you’ll learn each one’s motives and experience the world from their point of view. Read on to discover more about each of the protagonists. While most of this information is available in our cover story, we wanted to give you a quick-and-easy summary of the game’s three heroes.

Michael

This is the character many assumed was the main character of Grand Theft Auto V. Michael is a middle-aged ex-bank robber, ensconced in his gilded cage in Rockford Hills, GTA’s approximation of Beverly Hills. Judging by his house, he was quite good at his former profession. He’s now living in quiet retirement with his wife Audra, daughter Tracy, and son Jimmy.

A big house, an attractive younger wife, a fast car, and two children – sounds like paradise, right? Sadly, Michael has found the good life lacking. In reality, his wife can barely tolerate him, and spends her time spending his money throughout the city’s finest boutiques. His daughter and son have little time for him. For Rockstar, Michael represents an interesting paradigm: he’s basically “won” the game that so many GTA protagonists have played over the years. He escaped from the criminal life with his fortune and freedom intact. Yet, he’s miserable and bored, trapped in a loveless marriage he can’t leave because he’s basically in witness protection.

From what we’ve seen so far, Michael appears to be thoughtful and calculated, and likely to keep his motives hidden. These traits were likely the ones that allowed him to survive his criminal career.

Like any aging criminal of fiction, his retirement isn’t as permanent as he thinks.

Role In GTA V

We only saw a small portion of a very large game, but we did see enough to draw some conclusions about Michael’s role in GTA V and his place in this tenuous alliance of three career criminals. As an experienced bank robber, he’s skilled in planning the complex heists that make up the structure for the single-player saga. In the cutscenes we saw, Michael appears to be the team’s leader – although neither of his partners is easily led. He’s good with a gun, and though older now, still capable of tackling challenging tasks like rappelling out of a helicopter onto a skyscraper.

He has a long, often troubled relationship with Trevor, and the two bickered frequently in the demo. He appears to hold some affection for Franklin, and seems to see a bit of himself in the young up-and-comer.

Rockstar vice president of creative Dan Houser on Michael:

“When we started with Michael, the idea was an older guy who was very successful getting sucked back into the game. Of all the various stories we've told about bank robbers, thieves, and hit men over the years, this was a story – just as we thought with GTA IV and Niko as an immigrant – that's got a lot of freshness to it.”

Trevor

No heist drama is complete without one of the classic archetypes of crime cinema: the loose cannon. Trevor, an old associate of Michael’s from his bank robbing days, is the wild card in this deck. His could help save the day, or ruin all of Michael’s careful planning depending on his mood.

To put it kindly, Trevor is a difficult person to deal with. While Michael has been relaxing in luxury, Trevor has been scraping by in Blaine County, a meth infested desert town filled with trailer parks and cheap bars. His life is a shambles; in our first meeting with him he’s on the toilet, struggling with drug-induced constipation. It’s not a pretty sight, nor is the squalid trailer he lives in. Trevor lives a destitute life of small time scores and the constant plague of addiction. After leaving his trailer, he hops in his jeep, flicks off some people standing on the side of the road, and heads over another location to set a pickup truck on fire – just another day at the office.

In many ways, he’s Michael’s opposite: impetuous, vengeful, and controlled by his temper and desires. Throughout the game, he’ll make life a bit more interesting that Michael would like.

Role In GTA V

While he’s erratic, don’t discount the significant skills Trevor brings to the team. He’s ex-military, and skilled in both combat and piloting aircraft like helicopters. In the mission we saw, Trevor was the one that flew the team to the skyscraper they needed to infiltrate. In the aftermath, as the team was pursued by law enforcement copters, he proved to be an able pilot under pressure.

However, his personality is clearly going to cause problems. At the beginning of the mission, he angrily insulted an armed security guard and also tried to cause some dissent in the team, mocking Michael’s fatherly relationship with Franklin, who he seems to dislike.

Still, his fearless, nearly psychotic demeanor should make him an asset in a firefight – as long as he doesn’t get you killed in the process.

Dan Houser on Trevor:

“Trevor appeared to us pretty much out of nowhere as the embodiment of another side of criminality – of freedom, and of doing what you want. If Michael was meant to be the idea of some version of criminal control – or some sort of bourgeois criminal who tries to go straight and gets sucked back in – what about the guy who didn't do that? What about the opposite guy? What about the guy who just says ‘f--- off’ every moment, is relentless, doesn't want to stop taking drugs, doesn't want to stop partying, doesn't want to be told 'no' by anyone, and just completely revels in chaos?”

Franklin

Franklin is the youngest of the crew, and perhaps the one who has the closest ties to GTA protagonists like C.J. and Luis Lopez. In his mid-to-late 20s, Franklin is a young hustler hoping to escape the world of street crime he grew up in. As such, he’s ambitious, perhaps to a fault, and very eager to take on new illegal challenges. It seems likely that these traits are something Michael recognizes a younger version of himself in.

At the outset of the game, Franklin is employed by Armenian gangsters who run a loan-sharking operation. It’s simple: they lend people money at exorbitant interest rates to purchase luxury cars, and when they default, the Armenians repossess their vehicles. That’s Franklin’s job. As a result, he’s frequently tooling around the city in seized sports cars – something that appeals to his flashy personality.

Franklin is from South Los Santos, the GTA world’s approximation of Compton, and comes from a background steeped in street hustling. Like past GTA characters, he’s stuck between the allure of two worlds as he begins his ambitious rise from the hood. In the footage we’ve seen, Franklin’s friend Lamar seems to be one of the forces attempting to pull him back into the small time world of street crime. In the second GTA trailer, we see a femle characters (a girlfriend or sister) tell Franklin, “I don’t care how many cars you steal – you ain’t changing.”

Role In GTA V

Franklin might be young, but he’s smart and capable, and provides the team with a level of physical prowess that both Michael and Trevor lack. He’s also a deadly shot. In the skyscraper segment we saw, Michael was perched in another building, providing cover for Michael with a sniper rifle. Also, as a repo man, he’s got good skills behind the wheel.

Dan Houser on Franklin:

“Franklin was the idea of this street hustler in the modern world where the glory days – if there ever were glory days of gang banging – had long since passed. When some of the illusions of this life have been shattered, what do you do now having been in that world? That seemed like an interesting character; a guy in his mid-to-late 20s who wants to move forward but doesn't really know how and is being held back by some of his more idiotic and dangerous friends."

http://www.gameinfor...eft-auto-v.aspx

This brings some small news, actually. They tell us why Michael is still married with Audra [her name] and explains a little the protagonist/antagonist thing. It is a nice read at least smile.gif

ElPaisa
  • ElPaisa

GFX Artist

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Nice find amigo, it sure was a good read! icon14.gif cookie.gif

gta5 Gangsta
  • gta5 Gangsta

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

i h0pe cj is in gta5 sleepy.gif happy.gif dozingoff.gif colgate.gif blush.gif cry.gif inlove.gif cookie.gif
user posted image
dis is cj with gas mask m0dz. see?

omeromer
  • omeromer

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Michael: "For Rockstar, Michael represents an interesting paradigm: he’s basically “won” the game that so many GTA protagonists have played over the years. He escaped from the criminal life with his fortune and freedom intact. "

Never thought about that

DarrenC1888
  • DarrenC1888

Celtic FC Manchester United Champions!

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Good read. Gets me too excited though.

BullworthAcademy
  • BullworthAcademy

Can't wait for Red Dead Redemption 2!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Audra?
I swear GI said that her name was Amanda.

Tooth
  • Tooth

Do we know each other?

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hm. This is the first GTA, where everyone will be happy about the character they play, because the variety of 3 different protags shouldn't disappoint anybody. I liiiiiike it much, much, much.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (omeromer @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 15:03)
Michael: "For Rockstar, Michael represents an interesting paradigm: he’s basically “won” the game that so many GTA protagonists have played over the years. He escaped from the criminal life with his fortune and freedom intact. "

Never thought about that

"Paradigm" .... Epsilon Twitter.... Confirmed

ScorpDaMonk
  • ScorpDaMonk

Astral Projection

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Good read

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

Good read, nice to see some new points in there.

donconjo
  • donconjo

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (gta5 Gangsta @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 14:54)
i h0pe cj is in gta5 sleepy.gif happy.gif dozingoff.gif colgate.gif blush.gif cry.gif inlove.gif cookie.gif
user posted image

Maybe as DLC with extra missions? smile.gif

jogy
  • jogy

GTAF Alumni

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Didn't we read this already last week?

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (Shockenheim @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 16:16)
Didn't we read this already last week?

Pretty sure we did, not sure where all these people have been.

The_Majestic
  • The_Majestic

Playa

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

nice thanks for this

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

"However, his personality is clearly going to cause problems. At the beginning of the mission, he angrily insulted an armed security guard and also tried to cause some dissent in the team, mocking Michael’s fatherly relationship with Franklin, who he seems to dislike."

Trevor makes fun of Michael and Franklin's relationship, haha. This makes me like him even more! He just don't care.

I Shot The Sheriff
  • I Shot The Sheriff

Yippie-kay-yay, motherf*cker!

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Uh... Audra or Amanda? confused.gif

Vincentto
  • Vincentto

Grove street... home

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (donconjo @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 16:08)
QUOTE (gta5 Gangsta @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 14:54)
i h0pe cj is in gta5  sleepy.gif   happy.gif   dozingoff.gif   colgate.gif   blush.gif   cry.gif   inlove.gif   cookie.gif
user posted image

Maybe as DLC with extra missions? smile.gif

suicidal.gif devil.gif

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:03 PM Edited by GTA-King, 20 November 2012 - 05:11 PM.

I see Michael as the MAIN protagonist.

1. He was the narrator of the first trailer.
2. He's most likely going to be the one to get Trevor and Franklin together to do the heists, so in that sense, he's the central character, while Trevor and Franklin are secondary.

That's how I see it anyway. Nothing in the game would happen if it wasn't for Michael's boredom, and desire to get back into the criminal underworld. I predict his decision will set off a chain of events (like Walter White's decision to cook meth in Breaking Bad) that will result in disaster, especially with Trevor working with him. I just don't see it ending pretty for Michael to be honest. His story just has tragedy written all over it.

Meyus
  • Meyus

Rat

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Audra, hmm. Michael has two wifes?

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Amanda M. Audra?

Biggie Deaf
  • Biggie Deaf

Google me, baby...seriously.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 17:03)

2. He's most likely going to be the one to get Trevor and Franklin together to do the heists, so in that sense, he's the central character, while Trevor and Franklin are secondary.

That's how I see it anyway. Nothing in the game would happen if it wasn't for Michael's boredom, and desire to get back into the criminal underworld. I predict his decision will set off a chain of events (like Walter White's decision to cook meth in Breaking Bad) that will result in disaster, especially with Trevor working with him. I just don't see it ending pretty for Michael to be honest. His story just has tragedy written all over it.

I remember reading that he ends up doing missions for the FIB. Maybe after some sh*t happens on some missions and THEN he says eff it and jumps back in.

That would be different, too. One ending could be Michael loses everything. Or goes to jail.

Could be anything though, but I believe that the first couple missions will be for the FIB, and Mike might be ready to break out and have his own life.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (Biggie Deaf @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 17:43)

I remember reading that he ends up doing missions for the FIB. Maybe after some sh*t happens on some missions and THEN he says eff it and jumps back in.

That would be different, too. One ending could be Michael loses everything. Or goes to jail.

Could be anything though, but I believe that the first couple missions will be for the FIB, and Mike might be ready to break out and have his own life.

Hmmm.

So what you're saying is, the FIB wants Michael to do missions for them... BEFORE they know he's back in the criminal life? If so, that would be pretty interesting. I guess it would make sense because apparently the first mission you have to rescue somebody for the FIB.

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

Dont you just hate keyboard warriors!

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

I predict his decision will set off a chain of events that will result in disaster, especially with Trevor working with him. I just don't see it ending pretty for Michael to be honest. His story just has tragedy written all over it.

nervous.gif nervous.gif
But dont forget multiple endings so all of them cant end bad for him. There should be three endings and it ends very bad for each charecter. But this also makes me think rockstar put so much effort into making each charecter unique with there own lifstyle, side missions and activities. They even said the game will feel very different as the three charecters so why would they ruin it by killing off one of them or putting them in jail?

Okin
  • Okin

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Everything GI have said to this point now can't be taken as concrete information considering they cant get the name of Michaels wife correct.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (InfernoV @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 17:59)
I predict his decision will set off a chain of events that will result in disaster, especially with Trevor working with him. I just don't see it ending pretty for Michael to be honest. His story just has tragedy written all over it.

nervous.gif nervous.gif
But dont forget multiple endings so all of them cant end bad for him. There should be three endings and it ends very bad for each charecter. But this also makes me think rockstar put so much effort into making each charecter unique with there own lifstyle, side missions and activities. They even said the game will feel very different as the three charecters so why would they ruin it by killing off one of them or putting them in jail?

Just think of the ending to Red Dead Redemption.

While I completely understand why John had to die, I just didn't have any kind of relationship with his son. I think now, in GTA V, they are going to build a relationship with all 3 protagonists, so in the end... you as the player has to decide who lives and die... and who ultimately wins the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Would def. put a spin on things! icon14.gif

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 18:01)

nervous.gif nervous.gif

While I completely understand why John had to die, I just didn't have any kind of relationship with his son. I think now, in GTA V, they are going to build a relationship with all 3 protagonists, so in the end... you as the player has to decide who lives and die... and who ultimately wins the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

The only way michael can win is for him to get rid of his wife becuase she will just keep spending it. But it says he cant because of the witness protection

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (InfernoV @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 18:04)

nervous.gif nervous.gif

The only way michael can win is for him to get rid of his wife becuase she will just keep spending it. But it says he cant because of the witness protection

I honestly don't think Michael is doing it for the money though. I think GI exaggerated when they said Amanda is the reason he's getting back into the criminal life. While the domestic life is most likely the reason he wants to return to his criminal life, I just don't think it's because of money for him. I think it's for the rush. I think Michael has more money than we think... he's just so bored of his new mundane life.

Alot of criminals in witness protection are like this. Take Henry Hill for example. He started dealing drugs again while in the program. Once a criminal, always a criminal. Some leopards can never change their spots... something John Marston had to find out the hard way. I'm glad that Michael is embracing who he is, rather than trying to run from it.

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 18:10)

nervous.gif nervous.gif

I honestly don't think Michael is doing it for the money though. I think GI exaggerated when they said Amanda is the reason he's getting back into the criminal life. While the domestic life is most likely the reason he wants to return to his criminal life, I just don't think it's because of money for him. I think it's for the rush. I think Michael has more money than we think... he's just so bored of his new mundane life.

Alot of criminals in witness protection are like this. Take Henry Hill for example. He started dealing drugs again while in the program. Once a criminal, always a criminal. Some leopards can never change their spots... something John Marston had to find out the hard way. I'm glad that Michael is embracing who he is, rather than trying to run from it.

ahaha reminded me of sammy "the bull" gravano
I am also interested to see what becomes of trevor after all the heists and becoming rich, i doubt he will move to rockford hills and buy a mansion like michael.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (InfernoV @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 18:16)

nervous.gif nervous.gif

I am also interested to see what becomes of trevor after all the heists and becoming rich, i doubt he will move to rockford hills and buy a mansion like michael.

Guys like Trevor though... they are in it for life. They never want to change, they just want to bask in chaos.

Guys like him are the ones that die bloody. icon14.gif

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 18:20)
QUOTE (InfernoV @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 18:16)

nervous.gif nervous.gif

Guys like Trevor though... they are in it for life. They never want to change, they just want to bask in chaos.

Guys like him are the ones that die bloody. icon14.gif

That leaves franklin and his a tricky one. He can become rich but i dont think his friends will let him change. Like sweet didnt let cj change

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users