Photo

Any way to increase draw distance?

12 replies to this topic
mkthetimelord
  • mkthetimelord

:3

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Just wondering if there is any way to increas the draw distance of objects mapped in MED? I am doing a sort of base mod, and I need to able to see the runway from far away to land on it smile.gif

Celestail
  • Celestail

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:29 PM Edited by Celestail, 18 November 2012 - 05:49 PM.

First select the object you want to increase the distance on then click the "IDL" button and a window will open now increase the Draw distance from there

user posted image

user posted image

This can also be done in the IDL file, this contains also the objects distance, Here is what a objects data looks like in the IDL file

CODE
1207, tiny_rock, rock, 40, 128

NOTE: Don't increase the distance to much or the object will lose its Collision (Default distance limit is 299)

You can compensate the limit by making a Long Distance object in conjunction with the normal object this is known as a "LOD" Object

Break downs:

1207 , tiny_rock , rock , 40 , 128

Objects ID
Objects name
Objects Texture file name
Objects Draw Distance (meters)
Objects Parameters

If you need more help feel free to ask icon14.gif

mkthetimelord
  • mkthetimelord

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Thanks, I think I understand, I just don't make it any more than 299 in MED unless I want to do complicated stuff tounge.gif

Celestail
  • Celestail

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Long distance objects are easy to do, have you made your own objects for the game?

mkthetimelord
  • mkthetimelord

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

No, I am just using default objects. I have used the runway parts from the SFAP as a runway and I would like to see them from a further distance to land better tounge.gif

Celestail
  • Celestail

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (mkthetimelord)
No, I am just using default objects. I have used the runway parts from the SFAP as a runway and I would like to see them from a further distance to land better tounge.gif

You can use the long distance object for them, here is where the LOD object is found for objects

user posted image

mkthetimelord
  • mkthetimelord

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:32 PM Edited by mkthetimelord, 18 November 2012 - 08:37 PM.

Thanks, I'll give that a try and see how I get on smile.gif

EDIT: When I selected the object and went to the LOD part, it does not read as yours does once selected, it reads:Airport_10_SFSe
Do I just manually type the new part?

Celestail
  • Celestail

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

First place the objects to the map where you want them now find it's Long distance object (check the image above) now re-render the scene in LOD mode and search the LOD object and place it to the map and adjust it to match up with the normal object, DONE

mkthetimelord
  • mkthetimelord

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thanks, I understand a bit better now, but I am still stuck on a few things. 1) How to find the LOD object? I couldn't find the one for SF when I tried to search for it since there is no search function when selecting the LOD file. And not sure how to re-render in LOD sad.gif

Celestail
  • Celestail

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:44 PM Edited by Celestail, 19 November 2012 - 05:46 PM.

Ok first select the object so you can see its long distance object name (check the image above) copy that name, now add new object and paste the LOD name to find it (make sure "name" is enabled) then add it to the map, move it into position , DONE

Now to render in LOD click on "View" then click "LOD"

user posted image

Remember to re-render the scene wink.gif

NOTE: Normal objects will not be visible

mkthetimelord
  • mkthetimelord

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Oh I fully understand now, but where on your image it has the name of the LOD file, for me that part was blank.

Celestail
  • Celestail

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

Not all objects have a Long Distance object, in this case it will be blank

Objects that tend to have a Long Distance object are normally the bigger objects like land and buildings, Small minor objects like the Mesh Fence don't have LOD objects wink.gif

mkthetimelord
  • mkthetimelord

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I tried with that object above, the part/s of the SF runway but for some reason it was blank.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users