Photo

Consequenses for posting in troll threads

11 replies to this topic
reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

Why not make responding in obvious troll threads against the rules?

How about some kind of proportionate consequence for anyone that responds?

It would certainly prevent it from geting "user-stickied" at the top of the forum.

Icarus
  • Icarus

[C9] Orthonormal

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

There are consequences, but you have to report the post to bring it to the attention of a moderator.

There's thousands of new posts each day. You can't expect staff to search all of them to find posts that might be breaking the rules. The onus is on the members to do that.

reform
  • reform

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (Icarus @ Sunday, Nov 18 2012, 01:52)
There are consequences, but you have to report the post to bring it to the attention of a moderator.

There's thousands of new posts each day. You can't expect staff to search all of them to find posts that might be breaking the rules. The onus is on the members to do that.

I don't think you read the topic properly.

I'm talking about consequenses for ANYONE posting in obvious troll threads, and a ban on posting responses in them altogther.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

That would be too harsh, a reminder is enough or a warning in case it's repeated, at least that's how I see it. It's as simple as locking the topic and the answers stop, handing out reminders should be enough to let people know.
Banning people just because they're answering troll threads would be quite unfair. My 2 cents.

reform
  • reform

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

Not saying outright bans, but as long as it's actually against the rules, and there's some lind of consequence for repeat offenders, then people might stop doing it.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Well, for real trolls I imagine they get banned, as you can see many times. But for other people who answer the topics I think a reminder is sufficient, and if repeated a warning. And they probably do get them anyway as we don't know their warn logs.

Icarus
  • Icarus

[C9] Orthonormal

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:21 AM Edited by Icarus, 19 November 2012 - 04:28 AM.

QUOTE (reform @ Sunday, Nov 18 2012, 14:00)
QUOTE (Icarus @ Sunday, Nov 18 2012, 01:52)

I don't think you read the topic properly.

I'm talking about consequenses for ANYONE posting in obvious troll threads, and a ban on posting responses in them altogther.

No, I read it properly and already said there are consequences for posting spam in troll threads. Let me be succinct and clear: the rule you're asking for is already in place.

[EDIT] Spelling.

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:08 AM

Replying to spam is an offense, it just needs reporting.

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

My real name is Michael. #FACT.

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

Eventually members and moderators later on will call you out for it. I've made that same mistake myself a couple of times in the recent past.

Hurrikane
  • Hurrikane

Chop

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Waddy @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 00:08)

I have done that, and told not too previously, with regards to reporting multiple posts being spam that is.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

As long as you don't report every single post in the topic you shouldn't be told not to report them. A single report is enough.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (Hurrikane @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 17:28)
QUOTE (Waddy @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 00:08)

I have done that, and told not too previously, with regards to reporting multiple posts being spam that is.

If it's a topic posted by a troll or spammer, we're just going to delete the topic anyway, so aside from reporting the original post, there's really no need to report all the people who are foolishly quoting or replying to it. If it's a good a topic and spam gets posted in it, report that and those who are quoting or replying to it as we'll just remove those individual posts rather than deleting the whole topic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users