Photo

Rockstar confirms the trailer used in-game footage

80 replies to this topic
Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (VATG @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 22:37)
QUOTE (OriZarhiKing5 @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 21:58)
So are you telling me that the scene with James (Michael's son) hanging on a truck on the highway is gameplay? and the scene with the two trains with Trevor jumping from the rails? Also not cut scenes?

I Was thinking the same thing.

Those would be some extremely hard missions to do if they're gameplay, specially the former - it's always two possibilities: either you're too early then James falls on the road and gets squashed by a vehicle. or you're too late and you squash him himself. Either ways you'll have to pick him up from the hospital before restarting the mission again.

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure the term "in-game" footage is inclusive with cutscenes; since R* never uses pre-rendered cutscenes anyways. I mean the last segment of the video [Trevor and Franklin meeting for the first time] can't be gameplay, could it?

gtasadude
  • gtasadude

Stunter

• Members

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (Okin @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 18:15)
Just because it wasn't "pre-rendered" does not mean it was not a cut scene. They deliberately avoid the question of whether it is gameplay or a cut scene and answer it in terms of gameplay vs pre-rendered on software.

Whether or not it's a cutscene or gameplay doesn't mean sh*t.

iCaramelBird
  • iCaramelBird

R* Y U NO GIVE US GTA V?

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

I think what R* meant to say is, there are cutscenes in there but MOST of it, is gameplay.

AdventX
  • AdventX

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (PrometheusX @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 23:18)
QUOTE (VATG @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 22:37)
So are you telling me that the scene with James (Michael's son) hanging on a truck on the highway is gameplay? and the scene with the two trains with Trevor jumping from the rails? Also not cut scenes?

I Was thinking the same thing.

Those would be some extremely hard missions to do if they're gameplay, specially the former - it's always two possibilities: either you're too early then James falls on the road and gets squashed by a vehicle. or you're too late and you squash him himself. Either ways you'll have to pick him up from the hospital before restarting the mission again.

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure the term "in-game" footage is inclusive with cutscenes; since R* never uses pre-rendered cutscenes anyways. I mean the last segment of the video [Trevor and Franklin meeting for the first time] can't be gameplay, could it?

This reminds me of a similar mission on san andreas where you had to try to get close to sweet hanging on that fire truck.

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

Who on his perfect mind would think the 2 trailers were pre-rendered or modified some way? Seriously, you can see clearly it is footage from Xbox or PS3, there is no doubt.

I want them to answer if the screenshots they've been releasing, if ALL of them are from the consoles and if those weren't manipulated in anyway, thats what I wanna hear them say, because that they don't answer.

-----

PS: when they say Gameplay that can also include cut scenes and scripts, what they meant is that it was processed by the consoles without any enhancement from a computer or with rendering to increase their quality.

Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

Part-time spy, full-time maniac

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE (Linki @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 22:33)

Not cutscenes. I don't find that hard to believe.

I think the trains one will be a cut-scene, otherwise you could jump off way before they hit and then no drama, the one with James swinging on the freeway - game-play.

Kevin3014
  • Kevin3014

Fie! Fie! Fie!

• Members
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award GTA IV

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

biggrin.gif THaT iS f*cking GoOd NeWs biggrin.gif

I should suicidal.gif

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Love For Sale

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

Pretty sure the trailer looks a lot better than the game will.

Grand_Theft_Coupe
  • Grand_Theft_Coupe

Trick

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

R* never used pre-rendered footage for any of their Grand Theft Auto trailers! The footage shown in trailer one and two consists of in-game/gameplay scenes, which however, uses in-game camera angles to give it more of a cinematic effect! smile.gif

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

All this means is that the cutscenes weren't prerendered. Of course some parts were cutscenes.. Rockstar always uses parts of cutscenes for trailers.

kingbob182
  • kingbob182

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

I think the entire thing was made up on cut-scenes.
I'd say the part with Michael's son falling off the boat is a "keep up with the truck and don't lose them" kind a mission and when you get close enough/chase for long enough, it cuts to the part that we saw on the trailer.

I'd like to believe that some of it was gameplay footage and I'm not saying it's not going to look terrific but the action shots we saw were very scripted and difficult to pull off under user-control.

If anyone does think a part of it was not a cutscene let me know the time and I'll have a look. I obviously can't confirm it or anything but I'm curious

whittle13
  • whittle13

I'm not a mod

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Cut scenes in gta games are in real time, they are not rendered. So even if some parts of the trailer are cut scenes this doesn't mean that gameplay won't actually look like that?
probably could have worded that better so here it is simpler:
Cut scene graphics = Gameplay graphics

kingbob182
  • kingbob182

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (whittle13 @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 21:53)
Cut scenes in gta games are in real time, they are not rendered. So even if some parts of the trailer are cut scenes this doesn't mean that gameplay won't actually look like that?

This might be true. But I'm more concerned about new features and movements. Like in IV's trailer when Niko hangs off the helicopter but it was only available in one mission and it was a cutscene. Is this what sliding on the hood of a car will be like? Or the use of Packers, Or driving under Michael's son and catching him? Probably.

CallCenterZombie
  • CallCenterZombie

Sour Tooth

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

I think this has been brought up countless times but I think GTAV will run like RDR. RDR seemed to run like all the trailers that proceeded it's release. Here's hoping... rahkstar2.gif

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE (kingbob182 @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 15:27)
I think the entire thing was made up on cut-scenes.
I'd say the part with Michael's son falling off the boat is a "keep up with the truck and don't lose them" kind a mission and when you get close enough/chase for long enough, it cuts to the part that we saw on the trailer.

I'd like to believe that some of it was gameplay footage and I'm not saying it's not going to look terrific but the action shots we saw were very scripted and difficult to pull off under user-control.

If anyone does think a part of it was not a cutscene let me know the time and I'll have a look. I obviously can't confirm it or anything but I'm curious

A job at Rockstar is "capture artist". They play the game with a replay mode turned on and can review their gameplay from any camera angle. Trailer 2 had a lot of shots that look like storyline cutscenes and mission gameplay (missions containing unique scripted events not found in free roam), but anything that's vehicular action is very possibly the work of capture artists. Even the shot of the jet shooting/hitting the chopper could be by capture artists. It's no different than a stunting video; if you spend enough time you eventually get a couple seconds that look awesome.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

Hope they would specify the platform, too. From what we know right now, I guess I'm leaning towards ps3, but a confirmation wouldn't hurt.

mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

It's obvious just by looking at the second trailer that most of it is made up of cutscenes. The first trailer I believe contained very few cutscenes and was just regular city AI in motion captured from different camera angles.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE (DeafMetal @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 04:40)
Hope they would specify the platform, too. From what we know right now, I guess I'm leaning towards ps3, but a confirmation wouldn't hurt.

PS3.
http://forum.beyond3...=50676&page=140
QUOTE (Quaz51)
I dowloaded and analysed the HQ GTAV trailer and the post process AA is exactly the same as PS3 Max Payne 3, different to the MP3 X360 post process AA

Max Payne 3 was 720p on both consoles btw. wink.gif

Jewstinian
  • Jewstinian

Entitled Asshat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE (whittle13 @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 17:53)

In some ways, yes, but it doesn't truly describe the game in a whole. In cutscenes, they tend to focus on making the face look nicer since they're aren't loading dozens of textures from the city.

Kipsta
  • Kipsta

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

No surprise. Rocktsar always uses the in-game visuals for the trailer. It's still unbelievable what they have managed to do this this generation of consoles.

Hydro_PlayboyX
  • Hydro_PlayboyX

#TeamFranklin

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

they never pre-render their trailers, and i think that they said that all of their trailers are made on xbox 360

Tiglet
  • Tiglet

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Bullsh*t, that's why the graphics in the trailers are better than the actual game (always the case) / screenshots. Just check out the reflections, GTA 4 almost had no reflections. This is in game if it came from a f*cking PC. not a PS3 / sh*tbox (wii U LOOOOOL <= 6 year old hardware and still worse graphics than PS3/xbox)

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

Why are they avoiding the question? He asked if there were cutscenes in the trailer (which there was), not about pre rendering, although the latter is more interesting.

Chekoloco
  • Chekoloco

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Cīmon people this game is not only graphics.... but this graphics looks awesome, if they are o not taken from gameplay i donīt care...

gtafan023
  • gtafan023

Trick

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (gta_rulez @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 18:21)
It didn't look too good, so I didn't expect it to be pre-rendered.

of course,its from the console,what u expect?from the Alienware machine?

whittle13
  • whittle13

I'm not a mod

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (kingbob182 @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 22:25)
QUOTE (whittle13 @ Wednesday, Nov 21 2012, 21:53)

This might be true. But I'm more concerned about new features and movements. Like in IV's trailer when Niko hangs off the helicopter but it was only available in one mission and it was a cutscene. Is this what sliding on the hood of a car will be like? Or the use of Packers, Or driving under Michael's son and catching him? Probably.

Oh, I see what you mean. I don't think R* will want to dissapoint though, after all this is the "Big one"

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 14:58)
Why are they avoiding the question? He asked if there were cutscenes in the trailer (which there was), not about pre rendering, although the latter is more interesting.

As far as I have understand it, Take-Two is not allowed to pre-render their trailers which means everything from the trailer and the past trailers is ingame-footage and that includes actual gameplay and cutscenes.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:24 PM Edited by Gtaghost22, 22 November 2012 - 06:27 PM.

QUOTE (Tiglet @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 13:32)
Bullsh*t, that's why the graphics in the trailers are better than the actual game (always the case) / screenshots. Just check out the reflections, GTA 4 almost had no reflections. This is in game if it came from a f*cking PC. not a PS3 / sh*tbox (wii U LOOOOOL <= 6 year old hardware and still worse graphics than PS3/xbox)

It's from the console version and it isn't pre-rendered, that is a fact, Rockstar isn't lying, you're just mad because the game looks better than IV maxed out on PC, no need to act like a butthurt fanboy, V will be released eventually for the PC.

Oh, and GTA IV looked better than it's first trailer, it seems you have a bad memory, go watch it, it's looks like sh*te, the final build looked better.

Edit: http://forum.beyond3...=50676&page=140

I downloaded and analysed the HQ GTAV trailer and the post process AA is exactly the same as PS3 Max Payne 3, different to the MP3 X360 post process AA.

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

This was actually common sense. Nonetheless its good that R* confirmed it anyway. The game looks superb.

gta-guru
  • gta-guru