The ghettos of Los santos

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5,800 replies to this topic
Carmelo
  • Carmelo

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (Zxirius @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 08:38)
You guys talking about the south side of Chicago are hilarious. My family is from a quiet neighborhood on the southwest side near Midway Airport, and I grew up in and out of Chicagoland. The entire south side is not a huge ghetto with crime everywhere like the majority of the world seem to believe for some reason. There are actually some pretty nice neighborhoods on the south side, but with all of the gang activity in specific neighborhoods crime tends to be pretty common (in those neighborhoods mostly), but mostly at night.

I'd have to say if I had to think of the worst area on the south side, it would have to be Englewood and anything immediately surrounding it. For you non-natives, that means just stay away from anything immediately west of the Dan Ryan Expressway (I-94) and you'll be fine. The farther west you get from the Dan Ryan, the safer you are.

Having driven through these areas from one time or another, you can expect the typical high amounts of graffiti, lots of jay walking, people walk in groups (always), lots of large rimmed vehicles with lowered suspension, if I have my window open it's not uncommon to hear yelling but you're not sure from where, cops frequent this region in vehicles or walking about. I have only driven in these areas in the day-time, so I have no idea what it's like at night (I'd prefer to keep it that way).

When talking about those areas with other people in the Chicago area, it's common knowledge that you drive through and not stop in these areas (unless you absolutely have to) and avoid them completely at night.

Anyway, that was just a little insight for those of you who seem to be a little confused about Chicago's south side and I hope that sheds a little light on the matter.

user posted image

3 HUNNA

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

I'm sure they will do a good job at creating the diverse neighbourhoods of LA. If San Andreas is anything to go by the gang and drug representation will be excellent. But of course, statistically, LA crime rates are among the lowest they've ever been, especially in communities formally overrun by gang warfare. So if they really want to create a realistic atmosphere it won't be anything like the 90's San Andreas.

The GTA IV 'hoods were fairly realistic. They were more drug oriented rather than gangs, although there was gang presence too. Gang warfare was never such a major issue to the extent of that in LA. Streets were run down, littered, and covered in grafitti as you'd expect, and you'd see groups of people who were armed hanging out in the parks, and the sound of Hip-Hop blasting from an apartment window. It felt like it should IMO, and was very different from the tourist filled streets of Star Junction or the celebrities of Upper Algonquin.

With the dynamic events system being carried over from RDR I expect to see a lot of random activities, such as shootouts and street fights, muggings, car jacking, robberies, vandalism etc. There should be a lower police presence, but occasionally witnessing a raid or arrest. The streets should be run down with grafitti and drug dealers on the streets. Street lighting should be poor at night and garbage cans should be overflowing due to irregular waste collection. Also one of the previews mentioned dogs barking against a fence if you got too close, I expect a lot of dogs in the area. The ambience was great in San Andreas where you could occasionally hear gunfire and sirens, and see police choppers circling the area. In my opinion they done a perfect job at creating the atmosphere in SA.

jsaba2018
  • jsaba2018

LK XBOX CLIQUE OG

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

I hope so bro

Liberty2k7
  • Liberty2k7

Now Mr Raspberry Jam...He died a noble death

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE (SmC12 @ Sunday, Nov 18 2012, 23:18)
I'm sure they will do a good job at creating the diverse neighbourhoods of LA. If San Andreas is anything to go by the gang and drug representation will be excellent. But of course, statistically, LA crime rates are among the lowest they've ever been, especially in communities formally overrun by gang warfare. So if they really want to create a realistic atmosphere it won't be anything like the 90's San Andreas.

The GTA IV 'hoods were fairly realistic. They were more drug oriented rather than gangs, although there was gang presence too. Gang warfare was never such a major issue to the extent of that in LA. Streets were run down, littered, and covered in grafitti as you'd expect, and you'd see groups of people who were armed hanging out in the parks, and the sound of Hip-Hop blasting from an apartment window. It felt like it should IMO, and was very different from the tourist filled streets of Star Junction or the celebrities of Upper Algonquin.

With the dynamic events system being carried over from RDR I expect to see a lot of random activities, such as shootouts and street fights, muggings, car jacking, robberies, vandalism etc. There should be a lower police presence, but occasionally witnessing a raid or arrest. The streets should be run down with grafitti and drug dealers on the streets. Street lighting should be poor at night and garbage cans should be overflowing due to irregular waste collection. Also one of the previews mentioned dogs barking against a fence if you got too close, I expect a lot of dogs in the area. The ambience was great in San Andreas where you could occasionally hear gunfire and sirens, and see police choppers circling the area. In my opinion they done a perfect job at creating the atmosphere in SA.

Yeah well put man you bring up some interesting points. I'm really excited about the dynamic events from RDR being brought into V, and I'm sure Rockstar will develop this system even further. It was definately one of the (many) strong points of the game that really stuck out to me when playing. It creates a totally different atmosphere and level of immersion when these little random things happen. Not only are they funny and interesting, but they feel seemless and natural, not scripted at all. Rockstar seem to be great at creating as close to a living breathing world as physically possible in a video game, and V seems like one massive step further in their quest to realise this goal.

Pagano
  • Pagano

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

I definitely agree. The ghettos in GTA SA were beautifully crafted, and this would be incredible to be seen improved upon the the current-gen. And in GTA III there were some areas where you flat out COULDN'T walk in or you would be shot.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:17 AM Edited by Official General, 19 November 2012 - 02:22 AM.

QUOTE (SammiiDoogles @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 03:06)
Crime in SCLA? Definitely. It should definitely be conveyed in the game.
But that NWA, Boyz n the hood bullsh*t that OP is on about... no.

I am sure that you are the one that's talking bullsh*t bro. What do you mean by " NWA, Boyz In the Hood bullsh*t" anyway ?? The OP said nothing about that. All he said was that there should be a more realistic atmosphere and feeling of danger in the hood areas of Los Santos in GTA V. I don't know what your problem with that is, but it seems to be another played-out "I don't like street gangs, ghetto culture and rap music" statement being expressed here. And the 1990s has nothing to do with sh*t, many ghettos and hoods in Los Angels are still very dangerous places to be, gang wars, shootings, rampant street crime, it all still goes on a lot out there, it's just not always so highly publicized no more. But the LA hoods are still poppin' off with gangbanin' indeed, believe that.

The hood is in the game whether you like it or not, and yeah I agree with the OP, I want a very realistic depiction and feeling of it. I want the feeling to be captured proprly this time, I wanna feel that element of danger and intimidation to make me know that I'm in the hood.

@ Dickie

What are you talking about ? Gunshots, people running from police and dice games are everyday things in LA hoods. You make no sense at all.

@ Russian Freak

You are crazy man. Chicago is only second to LA as street gang capital of the USA. You may not have experienced it, but not everyone will, especially those not involved or connected. However, that don't mean its exaggerated or sensationalized. Gang culture is still rife and big in Chicago hoods.

MegaCam
  • MegaCam

It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:27 AM

Keep in mind. This is LOS SANTOS. Not LOS ANGELES.

Rockstars perception of LS could be different for it taking place 20 years later.

Rockstar focused alot of the gang side of the city in San Andreas. Maybe they dont want to do too much of the same thing a second time.

However, the areas that are 'gang infested', i would like the idea of 4-5 gang members coming up to me starting sh*t. Would add for more fun. But to over crowd the city with that sort of thing would be boring, solely for the fact that we've already seen that from Rockstar.

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

Trappin like the Vagos

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (Official General @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 02:17)

@ Russian Freak

You are crazy man. Chicago is only second to LA as street gang capital of the USA. You may not have experienced it, but not everyone will, especially those not involved or connected. However, that don't mean its exaggerated or sensationalized. Gang culture is still rife and big in Chicago hoods.

Dude Chicago has WAAAAAY more gangs than LA. And Chicago is way worse than LA, because Chicago has been murder capitol many times and I haven't seen LA as murder capitol as much as Chicago.

The crazy and deadly thing I find about Chicago gangs is that they tend to be more organized like a mafia. Just look at the GD's,Vice Lords or Latin Kings. LA today is not worse than Chicago.

I'd rather a GTA game take place in Chicago..

hitman_for_hire
  • hitman_for_hire

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (jsaba2018 @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 02:43)
I haven't really seen any light shed on this area!

And I swear to god if the ghettos of Los santos aren't vibrant and I mean like:

-hearing gunshots in the distance
-dice games, hoes
-drug dealing and people yelling "5-0" and bolting when they see cops
- streetfights
-graffiti/ trash
-dogs barking
-police harassment on locals/ police helicopters
-AI crimes like witnessing a drive by or seeing a homicide scene
- and Ofcourse various gangs, perhaps broken down into decentralized sets not whole areas
-dodgy alleyways and shoes hanging off wires

If none of this is in the game or at least some of it I will be one pissed off person as they haven't done los santos properly. I don't care if its not part of the story. I just like to have that dangerous feel like little Haiti in vice city or st marks in gta III. IV was crap with the crime and vibrancy of ghetto areas

Dont worry i think all that stuff will be their along with other hood type of carnage as
dan houser said their will be a gang infested location in the inner city which i think to be
the fictional compton an do u honestly think its gona be smiles an rainbows in compton ? lol.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:49 AM Edited by Official General, 19 November 2012 - 02:52 AM.

QUOTE (The Made Man @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 02:43)
Dude Chicago has WAAAAAY more gangs than LA. And Chicago is way worse than LA, because Chicago has been murder capitol many times and I haven't seen LA as murder capitol as much as Chicago.

The crazy and deadly thing I find about Chicago gangs is that they tend to be more organized like a mafia. Just look at the GD's,Vice Lords or Latin Kings. LA today is not worse than Chicago.

I'm pretty sure Los Angeles has more gangs than Chicago, but Chicago is definitely right behind LA when it comes to gangs. Look at the Gangster Disciples, a classic example. Chicago is a gangster city in every sense of the word, from Mafia to street level.

Your're right about Chicago street gangs being very organized, they indeed are. They model their organization structure on those of the Mafia and Fortune 500 companies. I'd love a GTA game set in Chicago, that would be brilliant. Who knows maybe next gen perhaps.

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

Trappin like the Vagos

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE (Official General @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 02:49)
QUOTE (The Made Man @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 02:43)

I'm pretty sure Los Angeles has more gangs than Chicago, but Chicago is definitely right behind LA when it comes to gangs. Chicago is a gangster city in every sense of the word, from Mafia to street level.

Your're right about Chicago street gangs being very organized, they indeed are. They model their organization structure on those of the Mafia and Fortune 500 companies. I'd love a GTA game set in Chicago, that would be brilliant. Who knows maybe next gen perhaps.

I think Chicago has more major gangs IMO. And nobody will ever forget Larry Hoover.

I think if R was really going for a hood aspect like what they did with GTA SA, than they'll choose Chicago, because today Chicago>LA in violence.

RastaMentality
  • RastaMentality

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (MegaCam @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 02:27)
Keep in mind. This is LOS SANTOS. Not LOS ANGELES.

Rockstars perception of LS could be different for it taking place 20 years later.

Rockstar focused alot of the gang side of the city in San Andreas. Maybe they dont want to do too much of the same thing a second time.

However, the areas that are 'gang infested', i would like the idea of 4-5 gang members coming up to me starting sh*t. Would add for more fun. But to over crowd the city with that sort of thing would be boring, solely for the fact that we've already seen that from Rockstar.

Yes and SA was semi based off the aftermath of the riots when a lot of gangs came up so it made sense more then.

jsaba2018
  • jsaba2018

LK XBOX CLIQUE OG

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

QUOTE (Official General @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 02:17)
QUOTE (SammiiDoogles @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 03:06)
Crime in SCLA? Definitely. It should definitely be conveyed in the game.
But that NWA, Boyz n the hood bullsh*t that OP is on about... no.

I am sure that you are the one that's talking bullsh*t bro. What do you mean by " NWA, Boyz In the Hood bullsh*t" anyway ?? The OP said nothing about that. All he said was that there should be a more realistic atmosphere and feeling of danger in the hood areas of Los Santos in GTA V. I don't know what your problem with that is, but it seems to be another played-out "I don't like street gangs, ghetto culture and rap music" statement being expressed here. And the 1990s has nothing to do with sh*t, many ghettos and hoods in Los Angels are still very dangerous places to be, gang wars, shootings, rampant street crime, it all still goes on a lot out there, it's just not always so highly publicized no more. But the LA hoods are still poppin' off with gangbanin' indeed, believe that.

The hood is in the game whether you like it or not, and yeah I agree with the OP, I want a very realistic depiction and feeling of it. I want the feeling to be captured proprly this time, I wanna feel that element of danger and intimidation to make me know that I'm in the hood.

@ Dickie

What are you talking about ? Gunshots, people running from police and dice games are everyday things in LA hoods. You make no sense at all.

@ Russian Freak

Yeah thanks man. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new ghettos of the v era. Iv had practically no danger or that feeling of "f*ck I should leave here before I get my head popped off"

jsaba2018
  • jsaba2018

LK XBOX CLIQUE OG

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE (hitman_for_hire @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 02:43)
QUOTE (jsaba2018 @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 02:43)
I haven't really seen any light shed on this area!

And I swear to god if the ghettos of Los santos aren't vibrant and I mean like:

-hearing gunshots in the distance
-dice games, hoes
-drug dealing and people yelling "5-0" and bolting when they see cops
- streetfights
-graffiti/ trash
-dogs barking
-police harassment on locals/ police helicopters
-AI crimes like witnessing a drive by or seeing a homicide scene
- and Ofcourse various gangs, perhaps broken down into decentralized sets not whole areas
-dodgy alleyways and shoes hanging off wires

If none of this is in the game or at least some of it I will be one pissed off person as they haven't done los santos properly. I don't care if its not part of the story. I just like to have that dangerous feel like little Haiti in vice city or st marks in gta III. IVá was crap with the crime and vibrancy of ghetto areas

Dont worry i think all that stuff will be their along with other hood type of carnage as
dan houser said their will be a gang infested location in the inner city which i think to be
the fictional compton an do u honestly think its gona be smiles an rainbows in compton ? lol.

He said in the southern part of the city, so I hope there is a detailed version of south central in the game with watts, inglewood, south la and Compton in the game or their gta counterparts

jsaba2018
  • jsaba2018

LK XBOX CLIQUE OG

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

Forget about Chicago were talking la and Los santos here

[ÁT]
  • [ÁT]

The Sword Swingin' Surgeon

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

QUOTE (SammiiDoogles @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 02:52)
You know South Central LA is nothing like it was in the 90's right?

You realize that while some things change, many things stay the same? What OP stated are things not specific to that era of gang banging or hood life, it still goes on. Do you really think people just just randomly stopped playing dice, spraying graffiti, harassing, street fighting, etc. after the early 90s? Do you think people just stand around in a circle all day? LMAO!

How mad will you be if there's no one yelling "five-OH!" which sounds about 1998ish. I never hear anyone say that, not in the past many years.

1998ish? What the hell does that mean? Scouts alerting drug dealers or other criminals of police presence didn't just randomly start and end in 1998. No offense, but do you actually reside in a recognized low-income run down area? Because where I've been I've witnessed people first hand yelling squale on street corners to alert people that police are arriving... they didn't just throw away a useful tactic to avoid getting caught because it was used in another era of banging or because kids of the GTAForums say it doesn't happen anymore.

jsaba2018
  • jsaba2018

LK XBOX CLIQUE OG

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

Yes people I was hoping those trolls and keyboard heroes got some proper knowledge, I come from a run down area so I know the atmosphere

jsaba2018
  • jsaba2018

LK XBOX CLIQUE OG

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (Los Santos citizen @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 02:54)
QUOTE (jsaba2018 @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 02:50)
Don't criticize. I'm just stating my opinion

Well if you didn't want others opinion then you shouldn't have posted then

Man please I'm pretty sure enough people on this forum agree with me so take your hate somewhere else thanks 😁

seVensantos
  • seVensantos

citizen of san andreas

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

this was a great thread. smile.gif

jsaba2018
  • jsaba2018

LK XBOX CLIQUE OG

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE (seVensantos @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 04:46)
this was a great thread. smile.gif

Finally lol someone acknowledges my badass spotting skills smile.gif

But yeah props to all the people who actually gave a sh*t and contributed to this and not give me hate cause I think it's got good sh*t that rocks tar needs to see on the ASAP

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

I'm that bada** n*gga yo moms warned you about.

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

What up cuz, what up blood, what up gangsta!

Good thing to see that people care. You have all the, "I hate San Andreas!" people who tried to give their input. (fail) Then you have the real people who know some sh*t holding it down. This was never about banging, it was about sending a message. This game deserves a rougher class of criminal. R* better give it to us.

jsaba2018
  • jsaba2018

LK XBOX CLIQUE OG

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE (UrbanTheEmcee @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 05:50)
What up cuz, what up blood, what up gangsta!

Good thing to see that people care. You have all the, "I hate San Andreas!" people who tried to give their input. (fail) Then you have the real people who know some sh*t holding it down. This was never about banging, it was about sending a message. This game deserves a rougher class of criminal. R* better give it to us.

One love man

jsaba2018
  • jsaba2018

LK XBOX CLIQUE OG

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Pagano @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 01:55)
I definitely agree. The ghettos in GTA SA were beautifully crafted, and this would be incredible to be seen improved upon the the current-gen. And in GTA III there were some areas where you flat out COULDN'T walk in or you would be shot.

and little haiti in vice city lol

matt19811
  • matt19811

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

i live near philly and dangerous activity in the streets all around has decreased significantly. Try to randomly find drugs on the street, it will take you forever. Back in the day people would be yelling up and down the streets what they we selling. Crime in america can no way be as bad as it use to and don't let these younger people who think they are hard tell you different. The streets have become pussified since the late 90's

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

Trappin like the Vagos

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (matt19811 @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 11:44)
i live near philly and dangerous activity in the streets all around has decreased significantly. Try to randomly find drugs on the street, it will take you forever. Back in the day people would be yelling up and down the streets what they we selling. Crime in america can no way be as bad as it use to and don't let these younger people who think they are hard tell you different. The streets have become pussified since the late 90's

Pff...Tell that to New Orleans,St Louis,Chicago, Detroit and Miami.

matt19811
  • matt19811

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:32 PM Edited by matt19811, 19 November 2012 - 12:45 PM.

QUOTE (The Made Man @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 12:17)

I used to go to the city to cop and get in trouble in the 90's, by your words i can see you did not. So your saying philidelphia is the only city that got less gang, crime and drug infested? GTFO

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

Trappin like the Vagos

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (matt19811 @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 12:32)
QUOTE (The Made Man @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 12:17)

I used to go to the city to cop and get in trouble in the 90's, by your words i can see you did not. So your saying philidelphia is the only city that got less gang, crime and drug infested? GTFO

I do not understand your argument here. When did I say Philadelphia had less crime and whatever. I didn't even mention that city. I only mentioned cities that seem always be murder capitol and Miami because of experience there.

The 90s IMO is overrated, crime has gotten much worse and acting like an internet gangster will not get you any points.

matt19811
  • matt19811

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

crime has gotten much worse since the 90's LOL. I'm done with this topic it's gotten f*cking ridiculous

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

Trappin like the Vagos

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (matt19811 @ Monday, Nov 19 2012, 12:59)
crime has gotten much worse since the 90's LOL. I'm done with this topic it's gotten f*cking ridiculous

You're just an idiot that's why.

http://prospect.org/...rime-increasing

matt19811
  • matt19811

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

your a doodo head f*ck you and your statistics you could clealy see more crime in the streets back then

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users