Michael's voice actor

43 replies to this topic
Jack (Deadpool)
  • Jack (Deadpool)

The Merc With The Mouth

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

I have noticed in Trailer 2 that Michael sounds very different since the first trailer (was that even supposed to be Michael in the first one?)
Everyone says his voice actor is Ned Luke. Buth is 'new' voice came very familiar. I watch Sons Of Anarchy every week and couldn't help but to think "Is Kim Coates voicing Michael?!"
I suggest you look up some interview of the guy on Youtube. They sound very alike most of the time.
However, he does sound like Ned Luke too, obviously, after looking up Ned Luke.

Are we 100% sure that Luke is voicing Michael? Any thoughts?

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Look I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because it hasn't been confirmed. Changing voice actors after the character has been modelled on Ned Luke. Well that's much worse than George Lucas telling Dave Prowse to give it all when delivering his lines, with no intention of keeping his voice.

Jack (Deadpool)
  • Jack (Deadpool)

The Merc With The Mouth

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (jamieleng @ Thursday, Nov 15 2012, 21:21)
Look I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because it hasn't been confirmed. Changing voice actors after the character has been modelled on Ned Luke. Well that's much worse than George Lucas telling Dave Prowse to give it all when delivering his lines, with no intention of keeping his voice.

I'm leaning more towards Ned Luke with the simple reason that they look the same. But Luke and Coates sound so similar, it made me doubt.

Okin
  • Okin

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

There is absolutely no way in hell now that it is not Ned Luke, when Franklin and Lamar ask him where the house is Michaels response sounds virtually identical to Ned Luke.

Romans Cousin Niko
  • Romans Cousin Niko

Troll Patrol

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

In that scene from the trailer where Michael is talking to his son in the car it really sounds like Ned Luke.

WillRock
  • WillRock

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (Jack Mercer @ Thursday, Nov 15 2012, 19:14)
I have noticed in Trailer 2 that Michael sounds very different since the first trailer (was that even supposed to be Michael in the first one?)
Everyone says his voice actor is Ned Luke. Buth is 'new' voice came very familiar. I watch Sons Of Anarchy every week and couldn't help but to think "Is Kim Coates voicing Michael?!"
I suggest you look up some interview of the guy on Youtube. They sound very alike most of the time.
However, he does sound like Ned Luke too, obviously, after looking up Ned Luke.

Are we 100% sure that Luke is voicing Michael? Any thoughts?

edit** nvm, looks like you did.

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

I was 100% sure before trailer 2. So yes, its him. No doubts.

Meekail
  • Meekail

Space Invader

• Members
  • Maldives

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

His voice actor is most likely Ned Luke, as his voice resembles Michael in the trailer.

JoshuaGraham
  • JoshuaGraham

Legate

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Nope its ned luke

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

The real problem is until it is confirmed who is the voice of Michael, our brain will make us hear who we want to hear biggrin.gif . Meaning anyone can say it is Kim Coates or Ned Luke. Of course there are obvious voices that do not sound alike to the character, like saying the voice actor for CJ is also doing the voice for Franklin..Unless he is good at changing his voice a bit, that is very unlikely.

I think it is very unlikely for Rockstar to use any voice actors from previous GTA games for new characters. The only point in doing so is with characters that are coming back.

But on topic with Michael's voice actor being Ned Luke.. It is very possible. They not only sound alike but look alike. I think the probability goes up when you think about how people are using Motion Capture to capture the actors movements. Usually with games with Mo-cap, they try and make the characters look like the actor.

I guess the next question is how well known is Ned Luke? If I am correct we were told there are no real huge celebrities in the game. Rockstar chooses "Quality over Celebrity". Of course that does not mean a great actor/actress is not a celebrity.

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Here's a longer video of him talking, it's the same guy they even look exactly the same.

Also why would they switch voice actors half way through production they have never done that before.

stevechilds
  • stevechilds

Fashion conscience

• Members

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (Doublepulse @ Thursday, Nov 15 2012, 19:45)
The real problem is until it is confirmed who is the voice of Michael, our brain will make us hear who we want to hear biggrin.gif . Meaning anyone can say it is Kim Coates or Ned Luke. Of course there are obvious voices that do not sound alike to the character, like saying the voice actor for CJ is also doing the voice for Franklin..Unless he is good at changing his voice a bit, that is very unlikely.

I think it is very unlikely for Rockstar to use any voice actors from previous GTA games for new characters. The only point in doing so is with characters that are coming back.

But on topic with Michael's voice actor being Ned Luke.. It is very possible. They not only sound alike but look alike. I think the probability goes up when you think about how people are using Motion Capture to capture the actors movements. Usually with games with Mo-cap, they try and make the characters look like the actor.

I guess the next question is how well known is Ned Luke? If I am correct we were told there are no real huge celebrities in the game. Rockstar chooses "Quality over Celebrity". Of course that does not mean a great actor/actress is not a celebrity.

He isnt really a huge celebrity though.No disrespect to the actor himself.

Jack (Deadpool)
  • Jack (Deadpool)

The Merc With The Mouth

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Gregers08 @ Thursday, Nov 15 2012, 21:50)
Here's a longer video of him talking, it's the same guy they even look exactly the same.

That is the same video I watched to compare.
It's most likely Ned Luke (even down to the looks), however, as someone else said, until we see a confirmation our minds will tell us whoever we want it to be.

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (Jack Mercer @ Thursday, Nov 15 2012, 20:21)
QUOTE (Gregers08 @ Thursday, Nov 15 2012, 21:50)

That is the same video I watched to compare.
It's most likely Ned Luke (even down to the looks), however, as someone else said, until we see a confirmation our minds will tell us whoever we want it to be.

Fair enough there's a slight chance it could be someone we haven't thought of yet. I guess its the fact that R* has started making the majority of the characters look like their VA's since tbogt that has made it much easier to find potential matches to whose voicing who.

oblivionskate
  • oblivionskate

Ghettotech

• Members

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Ned luke is the vioce actor! he just is! there is no chance he isn't, NONE!!! panic.gif panic.gif panic.gif panic.gif

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (Romans Cousin Niko @ Thursday, Nov 15 2012, 19:28)
In that scene from the trailer where Michael is talking to his son in the car it really sounds like Ned Luke.

They did a good job casting the son he looks like a younger chubbier Ned luke

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (Gregers08 @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 14:52)
QUOTE (Romans Cousin Niko @ Thursday, Nov 15 2012, 19:28)

They did a good job casting the son he looks like a younger chubbier Ned luke

Yeah, they sort of did that in RDR with John's son Jack, who you actually get to see grown up as well.
Jimmy looks like he'll be providing plenty of comic relief (probably at his expense).

R* just knows how to create believable characters, even in the caricaturish III era. I can imagine that in developers notes, every npc pedestrian has a small backstory.

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

Dont you just hate keyboard warriors!

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

After 1st trailer i was 50% sure it was ned luke
After 2nd trailer im 100% sure, i cant even look at michael without seeing ned luke kinda ruins it but im sure ill get used to it

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

That video is from 12 years ago, so of course he looks a bit younger than when Rockstar scanned his face. The most recent video found so far is 4 years ago (web series Katana).

RedDragonsBOOM
  • RedDragonsBOOM

Babes, Bullets, Cars.

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (jamieleng @ Thursday, Nov 15 2012, 19:21)

This is the EXACT reason why I think Ned Luke is the voice actor for Michael. The fact that they haven't confirmed or denied it when they already flat out confirmed other inside rumors weren't true recently. Most recently with the Packie not being in V. So the whole 'Grey area' treatment and sort of sweeping under the mat Rockstar is doing with this rumor leads me to believe the community was brilliant and finding this one and coming to a conclusion on Michael's voice actor as long as a year ago.

Now, if we could just figure out the voice behind Trevor... lets get working on this one people!

TimeLordDoctor
  • TimeLordDoctor

Praise him, Praise him, Praise him, Praise him, Praise him,

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

GTAFan20
  • GTAFan20

I Got This.

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

I'm sure it's Ned Luke, since he is not a major actor at all.

llllI1llllI1
  • llllI1llllI1

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Here is what Ned Luke looks like today...

user posted image

Taken from his FB.

RedDragonsBOOM
  • RedDragonsBOOM

Babes, Bullets, Cars.

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (Nobaca @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 15:18)

Thats just because it is a re-recorded scene with the same actor trying to capture his exact same lines the way he did before. A lot of the time voice actors will later change the style they do of a character to better fit their own natural voice comfortably in order to not lose the accent with long recording sessions. Every long running cartoon series has evidence of this especially from earlier seasons vs older seasons of a show.

CJ killed Ryder
  • CJ killed Ryder

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

Ned Luke's carreer will be SCREWED UP when the rumour turns out to be false.

Best known for something he never did!!! biggrin.gif

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 15:11)
That video is from 12 years ago, so of course he looks a bit younger than when Rockstar scanned his face. The most recent video found so far is 4 years ago (web series Katana).

He still looks fairly the same except his hairline has receeded more. It is pretty weird that he's gone missing since 2009 guess we have a rough estimate on when he started voice acting for V

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (Nobaca @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 15:18)

Same voice actor they just toned down his accent since he became a main character of his own game. They needed to make his voice easier to understand since players would be hearing him allot more during tbogt.

RedDragonsBOOM
  • RedDragonsBOOM

Babes, Bullets, Cars.

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (Gregers08 @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 15:24)
QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 15:11)

He still looks fairly the same except his hairline has receeded more. It is pretty weird that he's gone missing since 2009 guess we have a rough estimate on when he started voice acting for V

Anybody who doesnt hear how his voice is the exact same ones from the trailers is absolutely tone-def, either listen closer or take off your denial earmuffs, because its him.

On another note look at the title of the Youtube video, What happens when you die on GTA? You get 'Wasted'.

sivaG
  • sivaG

Shetland Pony

• Members
  • India

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Nope!Its Ned Luke only!

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:43 PM Edited by Magic_Al, 17 November 2012 - 03:48 PM.

QUOTE (CJ killed Ryder @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 09:23)
Ned Luke's carreer will be SCREWED UP when the rumour turns out to be false.

Best known for something he never did!!! biggrin.gif

Vladimir Mashkov got a lot of attention about GTA IV because Niko was based on his character Sasha from Behind Enemy Lines. (Perhaps Dan Houser's policy against watching anything similar to what he writes about is more recent.) Rockstar tried to hire Mashkov but the offer was very secretive, not revealing what the project was, and Mashkov refused. Mashkov was already very well known and successful in Russia and internationally so it's just a blip on his career. Interview (Russian)

If you want to be a Rockstar Games actor you have to commit to "untitled video game project" without knowing what it is, like Rob Wiethoff in Red Dead Redemption didn't know what he was acting in until a couple weeks after he started. Interview

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users