» «
Photo

Graphical glitches in Starfish Island

12 replies to this topic
xdpirate
  • xdpirate

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:01 PM Edited by xdpirate, 17 November 2012 - 04:44 PM.

EDIT: It's in Little Havana, not Starfish Island.

I've already submitted a ticket to Rockstar about this, but having experience with trying to get official support, it's unlikely that they can help.

--

I'm having graphical glitches on Little Havana, and Little Havana only. The rest of the game looks and works as it should, but not here.

Half the island is covered in what looks like is supposed to be fog, but is instead just a layer of a brown-textured polygon. I've tried all the normal remedies; Reinstalling, running in compatibility mode, disabling visual themes, none of them works.

The game is clean, i.e. no cracks, no mods, no anything, just the normal Steam version.

If I switch to first-person car camera mode, I can sometimes look below the "fog" if it's high enough, and the layer disappears when looking up when not in a car, and reappears when I look back down (to aim, etc).

This basically makes the game unplayable. I've coped until now, but now I'm on the mission where good old Lance Vance has been kidnapped, and I can't aim or even see the enemies I'm supposed to kill, making this mission impassable. I've searched extensively and haven't found anything that helped, neither on Rockstars support pages, nor on gtaforums or any other fan sites.

Attached is a picture of the problem. I already have the newest drivers, etc.

Specs:
ATI Radeon HD 6870 1 GB (Driver: AMD Catalyst 12.10)
AMD Phenom II 955 x4 - 3.2 GHz quad core
8 GB RAM
Windows 7, 64-bit

Screenshot of the problem

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (xdpirate @ Thursday, Nov 15 2012, 15:01)

I'm having graphical glitches on Starfish Island, and Starfish Island only. The rest of the game looks and works as it should, but not here.

Your screenshot is not "Starfish Island"

Have you tried some of the "other" usual remedies

Delete Gta_VC.set file

Messed around with the resolution settings-- reduce resolution, lower draw distance, toggle frame limiter, etc...

Does it appear if you start a new game or load up someone elses save?

I'm hardly a PC troubleshooter person but I've read enough of these threads to at least ask some pertinent questions.

Hopefully you can get this fixed...

In the future, can you post a smaller picture or use a link? Posting a large pic will bugger up the thread margins (making me have to scroll to read your post) and I'm on ta 24" monitor-- I will be fixing your post right after posting this

xdpirate
  • xdpirate

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Have you tried some of the "other" usual remedies

Delete Gta_VC.set file

Yup, both public and local user files.

Messed around with the resolution settings-- reduce resolution, lower draw distance, toggle frame limiter, etc...

Yes.

Does it appear if you start a new game or load up someone elses save?

Yes.

The problem still persists.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

One more question--- did you reinstall your same download from steam, or did you re-download it (from another server if they have this) and then reinstall? Just wondering if the downloaded file is corrupted.

I hope one of the more experienced PC troubleshooters sees this and gets your game working.

PS... thanks for fixing your pic-- got side tracked.

Spuds

xdpirate
  • xdpirate

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Friday, Nov 16 2012, 23:52)
One more question--- did you reinstall your same download from steam, or did you re-download it (from another server if they have this) and then reinstall? Just wondering if the downloaded file is corrupted.

I hope one of the more experienced PC troubleshooters sees this and gets your game working.

PS... thanks for fixing your pic-- got side tracked.

Spuds

I wiped all files and re-downloaded a clean copy, a grand total of three times. I don't think it's the Steam servers because no one else with the Steam version (or any version for that matter) seems to be having this problem.

xdpirate
  • xdpirate

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:33 PM Edited by xdpirate, 17 November 2012 - 04:44 PM.

Update: It's not on Starfish Island, but in Little Havana.

Here's a video I made to demonstrate the problem:

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

I have to apologize for the lack of help you are getting-- wish I knew more about this type of problem.

I did look over the buglist and just searched "catalyst" since that is in the name of your driver--- this tagged a few items. Specifically problems #1 and #21--- evidently there are some settings (on at least previous versions) of the the driver that you can mess with... although nothing was noted specific to your problem-- it probably wouldn't hurt to mess with at least the settings indicated in the help topics-- perhaps they are related to your problem.

Here is a search of that thread with "catalyst" highlighted....

http://www.gtaforums...ghlite=Catalyst

Happy1337
  • Happy1337

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

Hey,

I have the exact same problem and I tried all the things above and more. I thought it could be some kind of Ati/Amd driver bug and so I even tried a virtual pc(VMware Player) - Works perfectly, but the glitch is still present ! Wtf ?

I have like no ideas left :\

Someone out there who could solve this problem ?

Win7 x64

HD4890 Cat.13.8 (tried them all)

Vice City Retail (no Steam)

best regards

Happy1337
  • Happy1337

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

So nobody else having this issue ?

I found someone on the steam-forums with the same problem

http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=3118183

Unlucky me, I can't post there :\

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, cen u gibe me de peprment pls?

• Members
  • GoSquared

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

The LODs are appearing before they even should. You could probably fix this by clearing out the zone data.

Happy1337
  • Happy1337

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for the reply :)

I think i don't unterstand what you mean ..

How i am supposed to do this ?

xNCx
  • xNCx

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

Yeah it looks for a LOD problem. If your computer would be slow then we could blame it. But otherwise? Try to play with draw distance in options, setting to low and high. If this doesn't help check for a mod which increases the draw distance - there are some on gtagarage.

Happy1337
  • Happy1337

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

I tried

http://www.thegtapla...0-draw-distance - didnt work

http://www.gtagarage...show.php?id=876 didnt work

http://www.moddb.com...ce-city-lod-mod WORKS !

But this incredible kills performance on my Q6600@3,6Ghz

Now it's unplayable again - lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users