Photo

Dan Houser explains why GTA V is for current gen

45 replies to this topic
urbanfire
  • urbanfire

Ze Fire of da City

• Members

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (WhatThe? @ Wednesday, Nov 14 2012, 14:10)
I said this first in another thread, that I created.

Here: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=533398

30mins before you're thread. mad.gif

It's all about the wording my friend. Here on the forums you need to think like a journalist. Use words that are eye-catching, phrases that will surely grasp people's curiosity to read the topic.

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

I had made a post about this subject and it got moved, and Dan Houser also mentioned in the IGN interview that the current gen consoles have plenty of power still and did not limit their development of V at all.

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1061954713

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (AirWolf856 @ Wednesday, Nov 14 2012, 08:49)
IF R* did the smart thing and developed GTA V with high definition textures first and then lowered them to run on the current gen consoles, then it would probably take a very small effort to port that to the next gen console. This way they could sell the same game all over again except on new consoles. I hope they developed the textures to run on a high-end PC first and then used the technology to downsize them to run on the consoles.

Having higher-res textures ready is a step in preparing the PC version too, but I don't see Rockstar re-releasing the game on a successor to the same platform it's already released on. When Bully was announced, it was for PS2 and Xbox, but delays pushed the Xbox version into the next generation on the Xbox side (the 360 came out a year before the PS3) and it was decided to cancel the Xbox version of Bully and redesign it for the Xbox 360. They did NOT then port the Xbox 360 version to the PS3. The PS2 version of Bully is the only version on the Sony side of the market.

JonRenemy
  • JonRenemy

Greater Than Great

• Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (blowtorchrepair @ Saturday, Nov 17 2012, 23:45)
I had made a post about this subject and it got moved, and Dan Houser also mentioned in the IGN interview that the current gen consoles have plenty of power still and did not limit their development of V at all.

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1061954713

This, THIS is the most sensible way of looking at it.

They aren't concentrating on making a game for the next gen yet because they don't NEED to.
They're not making a game that's going to need the powerhouse behind it required for certain games.

Storylines and atmosphere is all that GTA is about. People are more clued up now on technology and it's made it easier for the average person to weigh in on a "graphics" debate, or something along those lines.

Who cares a fuq about what generation it's on. And of course it's going to come to PC, it's just stupid to argue about it right now. Rockstar know what they're doing and EVERYONE will be a winner in due course.

Grand_Theft_Coupe
  • Grand_Theft_Coupe

Trick

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

Grand Theft Auto V will be a major leap from Grand Theft Auto IV indeed. Rockstar had plenty of experience with this generation of consoles with games like Grand Theft Auto IV, Midnight Club: Los Angeles, Red Dead Redemption, L.A Noire, and Max Payne 3. There is no doubt in my mind that Rockstar will gather information from what they have learned with their previous games and combine those skills and lessons into V! smile.gif

westsidebud
  • westsidebud

Descanter The Insalubrious

• Members

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

the comment about HD visuals is the most interesting part i figured.

anyone that has experience in 3D level modelling game engine coding knows what an achievement GTA is !
if valve tried to use the source engine to make a GTA game it would run less than 1fps probably.
any cs/css mappers imagine expanding your map to the size of a city and then trying to optimize it ..good luck lol
its amazing they made what they did way back and being in their position woul dbe very hard i bet..
trying to get a large game that struggles to run withe drastically higher graphics.. i bet making IV was a nightmare for them.

AdvanceTrak RSC
  • AdvanceTrak RSC

Peon

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (copperrobber @ Wednesday, Nov 14 2012, 13:33)
http://www.gamespot....or-gtav-6400011

EDIT:With new consoles from Microsoft and Sony reportedly being readied to ship as early as late next year, some may wonder why Rockstar Games is releasing Grand Theft Auto V on current technology instead of future platforms. According to company cofounder Dan Houser, 2013 is a perfect time.

"Rockstar is a content company, not a hardware company," Houser said in the latest issue of Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu (via Polygon). "We use the technology we have to create content, and we try not to let ourselves get beholden to the hardware. The fact that hardware's so mature right now is exactly why we're able to go on to the next level."

Houser added that 2008's Grand Theft Auto IV was Rockstar's first try at development for high-definition visuals, and he called part of this development "seriously difficult." Now, Rockstar understands what the technology is capable of, and the company only stands to benefit, Houser said.

"All the best games for a console come out at the end of the lifecycle, right?"
"GTA: San Andreas came out at the peak of the PlayStation 2's cycle, and we put out a really good game thanks to that. All the best games for a console come out at the end of the lifecycle, right? So now's the best timing of all," he said.

Rockstar Games has confirmed that GTAV will ship for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 during spring 2013. Preorders for the game opened last week at select retailers in the United States and Europe. The game's second trailer will arrive today.

good find icon14.gif

Ill Minded Truth
  • Ill Minded Truth

Makaveli Trained

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

That nigga houser need to give a release date or 30 more zees may pop up in this bitch..

matajuegos
  • matajuegos

2 Years in the forums!!! I MISS YOU ZEE

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (Jimmyhetfield @ Wednesday, Nov 14 2012, 16:24)
Dan Houser, such a wise and safe guy.

And a whiskyhead tounge.gif ph34r.gif

Kung Lao
  • Kung Lao

FOR THE SHAOLIN

• Members

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Atleast now folk can stop worrying about it being made for future consoles. icon14.gif

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (-Eddie- @ Wednesday, Nov 14 2012, 09:53)
But will this mean VI will be comparable to San Andreas to IV? We get a really good end of 'generation' game and then they move to a new engine and have to learn from scratch, giving us a much smaller map but better physics etc?

The first game of every gen is going to be their beta game. Unless GTA VI is something amazing, I'm probably going to skip it because it's just R*'s 'practice' game.

QUOTE (Dan Houser)
"GTA: San Andreas came out at the peak of the PlayStation 2's cycle, and we put out a really good game thanks to that. All the best games for a console come out at the end of the lifecycle, right? So now's the best timing of all," he said.

Thus making GTA III and IV the worst games. Well, atleast he is honest. I never thought they'd admit that GTA IV isn't as good as SA but here it is.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Tuesday, Jan 15 2013, 18:36)
QUOTE (Dan Houser)

Thus making GTA III and IV the worst games. Well, atleast he is honest. I never thought they'd admit that GTA IV isn't as good as SA but here it is.

That's not exactly right; he's saying that later games on the same console are better than previous ones, he's not saying that the last one on a certain console is better than the first for another. Otherwise that would mean that GTA 2 was better than III.

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Tuesday, Jan 15 2013, 12:36)
QUOTE (-Eddie- @ Wednesday, Nov 14 2012, 09:53)
But will this mean VI will be comparable to San Andreas to IV? We get a really good end of 'generation' game and then they move to a new engine and have to learn from scratch, giving us a much smaller map but better physics etc?

The first game of every gen is going to be their beta game. Unless GTA VI is something amazing, I'm probably going to skip it because it's just R*'s 'practice' game.

QUOTE (Dan Houser)

I don't think it's going to be as traumatic this time. HD is still HD. What's going to be different other than catching up to gaming PC performance?

Trevor's Mother
  • Trevor's Mother

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

thank god that R* decided to launch V in current gen, because i dont have money to afford a new-gen console right now.

Lawlzmachine1989
  • Lawlzmachine1989

SHOOP DA WHOOP!!

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Neither do I for the upcoming Microsoft and Sony hardware. The United States isn't going to stop spending sh*t we don't even need. Thank god, I still have the Wii U.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Tuesday, Jan 15 2013, 19:36)
QUOTE (Dan Houser)

I do not think that this is what Houser want to point out. Well, a new console cycle means that games use new engines which means that the engine is at the start the main point. The last games of each console cycle are this what videogame developers have learnt during the years and they know by then how to handle the engines and they know how to get everything out of their games to use all the power that the consoles can offer. That does not make the first game(s) of each console cycle automatically the worst one(s). Dan Houser never said that San Andreas is worse than IV, not even indirectly. That would be only speculation because he could mean that IV is better than San Andreas but GTA V will be better than IV! The way Rockstar Games describes their games, they try to surpass with each new title their older titles so by that logic IV would be better than San Andreas even though that is a question of the opinion and everyone has different opinions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users