Photo

IGN Leslie Benzies interview

66 replies to this topic
Tradan
  • Tradan

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (Hurrikane @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 14:34)
icon14.gif Awesome read, learned a lot more about the process of making this massive game, and also learned that going to your nearest airport won't be a breeze like going into the airport in IV to get a helicopter

"For instance, airport security won't let you just wander in and steal a jet, they'll give you some serious opposition.”

I love that quote and:

“But because of the scale of the map [in GTA V] and the different kinds of areas involved, a countryside without animals would feel quite hollow. At the same time, animals aren't just a backdrop - you can expect to see dogs guarding areas and causing the player trouble when they try to sneak past them.”

allinclusive
  • allinclusive

Trick

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Really curious about the MP already. biggrin.gif

MosquitoSmasher
  • MosquitoSmasher

Moonwalker like MJ

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

I see animals are being mentioned here, but is there any other purpose for the dogs? (will they grant my wish that we can have a dog as buddy????) I don't have the time right now to read through the whole thing.

Hurrikane
  • Hurrikane

Chop

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Tradan @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 20:36)
QUOTE (Hurrikane @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 14:34)
icon14.gif Awesome read, learned a lot more about the process of making this massive game, and also learned that going to your nearest airport won't be a breeze like going into the airport in IV to get a helicopter

"For instance, airport security won't let you just wander in and steal a jet, they'll give you some serious opposition.”

I love that quote and:

“But because of the scale of the map [in GTA V] and the different kinds of areas involved, a countryside without animals would feel quite hollow. At the same time, animals aren't just a backdrop - you can expect to see dogs guarding areas and causing the player trouble when they try to sneak past them.”

That's a great one also, icon14.gif . Shows that the previous games like RDR have given a great framework for this game and they can utilize the entire landmass with interesting things. It will be very interesting to see what is in store out in the wilderness, and I am thinking late at night, the animals will not be too pleasant to see us. smile.gif

SammiiDoogles
  • SammiiDoogles

Where is my mind?

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Killjoy2022 @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 19:58)
“Refining open world multiplayer into something really special has been a huge focus of development and we are very excited to share more information with people soon.”

that scares me a bit, I hope they didn't spend too much time on it and just half assed the single player confused.gif

I think I remember reading in one of these previews that Rockstar North are developing the single player, and another Rockstar studio is doing multiplayer and North just oversee it. Which isn't something new, I think that was the case with Max Payne 3 as well. I don't mind that, I like that North are committed to single player and all the Rockstar studios are talented so I trust any of them with multiplayer. I'd imagine all the studios are chipping in to both areas as well, most notably San Diego.

RastaMentality
  • RastaMentality

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

"Also, while the countryside might be more chilled than the city there are plenty of things out there to keep curious players occupied"

"If the player wants to get their hands on one of the more ‘high end’ vehicles early in the game they'll have to work for it... airport security won't let you just wander in and steal a jet.”

This makes me happy. smile.gif

MosquitoSmasher
  • MosquitoSmasher

Moonwalker like MJ

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (SammiiDoogles @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 20:50)
“Refining open world multiplayer into something really special has been a huge focus of development and we are very excited to share more information with people soon.”

that scares me a bit, I hope they didn't spend too much time on it and just half assed the single player confused.gif

I think I remember reading in one of these previews that Rockstar North are developing the single player, and another Rockstar studio is doing multiplayer and North just oversee it. Which isn't something new, I think that was the case with Max Payne 3 as well. I don't mind that, I like that North are committed to single player and all the Rockstar studios are talented so I trust any of them with multiplayer. I'd imagine all the studios are chipping in to both areas as well, most notably San Diego.

Yup! Another team is developing the multiplayer and is spending pretty much the same amount of attention to it compared to the other team on the singleplayer, so it's aight with me.

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

Why did I move here? I guess it was to sell Shark Cards.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (MERCYOVTHEDEVIL @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 14:57)
They spelled Niko wrong. Shame on IGN..

This. It's a shame video game writers and websites rarely do any research on the topic they are writing about.

MosquitoSmasher
  • MosquitoSmasher

Moonwalker like MJ

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (RastaMentality @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 20:52)
"Also, while the countryside might be more chilled than the city there are plenty of things out there to keep curious players occupied"

"If the player wants to get their hands on one of the more ‘high end’ vehicles early in the game they'll have to work for it... airport security won't let you just wander in and steal a jet.”

This makes me happy. smile.gif

Sounds really interesting but in GTA IV you already couldn't access the airport without getting a big star rating. So i really DO wonder what's gonna happen. Some big guy is gonna stop me from entering? Best believe he'll meet my steel then biggrin.gif

Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (MERCYOVTHEDEVIL @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 19:57)
They spelled Niko wrong. Shame on IGN..

icon14.gif

killabud
  • killabud

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

that thing about "sneaking" past dogs has me slightly concerned

are they implying that you can't kill animals?

THAT would be a be a disappointment,i mean don't have them in there at all if that's the case

Above
  • Above

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (killabud @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 21:02)

THAT would be a be a disappointment,i mean don't have them in there at all if that's the case

No, they are just implying that you may have to kill them.

MosquitoSmasher
  • MosquitoSmasher

Moonwalker like MJ

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

When we could kill them in RDR...i highly doubt we couldn't in GTA V.

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Ah yes 'Heists' we have dismissed these claims

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Nice read making the hype go up, can't wait for tommorow.

Can't wait to see/hear more about the country side.

GreatestEver23
  • GreatestEver23

So you think you can tell, heaven from hell?

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

When they said why no other GTA had animals was because they didn't need them. They never said it was because we couldnt kill them. Now with a huge countryside it would "feel hollow" without animals.

If they are bringing dynamic encounters over from RDR, then I cant see why they wouldnt bring killing animals over as well.

killabud
  • killabud

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Above @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 21:03)

hope so...

would definitely lose a little respect for rockstar.....the actual killing of animals isn't a big deal to me,but the choice to do so is

Meno
  • Meno

Snitch

• Members

I think I'm gonna puke from the amount of joy that this brings to my life. icon14.gif

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

I'm really looking forward to multiplayer - story can wait.

Getzmunney
  • Getzmunney

On september 17..the streets will be on hush mode

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

This is the best read so far

Isuck100%
  • Isuck100%

Hasa Diga Eebowai!

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (Killjoy2022 @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 15:58)

This is Rockstar. Rockstar does not half-ass the single player. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. I was worried that three protagonists would mean they forced co-op into the traditional single player experience, but thankfully that was not the case.

Isuck100%
  • Isuck100%

Hasa Diga Eebowai!

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (killabud @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 17:07)

hope so...

would definitely lose a little respect for rockstar.....the actual killing of animals isn't a big deal to me,but the choice to do so is

Think about it. Why would you need to "sneak" past a guard dog unless you were trying to be stealthy and not make any noise? A gunshot to kill the dog would alert enemies much sooner than the dog's bark. Unless of course you had a silencer on your gun. There is no way the animals will be immune to gunfire. Rockstar would not include them at all if they could not be killed because that would totally kill the immersion.

Archvile78
  • Archvile78

Playa

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

“If the player wants to get their hands on one of the more ‘high end’ vehicles early in the game they'll have to work for it. For instance, airport security won't let you just wander in and steal a jet, they'll give you some serious opposition.”

Challenge accepted.

Have Mercy
  • Have Mercy

Makaveli Trained

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (Isuck100% @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 22:07)

hope so...

Think about it. Why would you need to "sneak" past a guard dog unless you were trying to be stealthy and not make any noise? A gunshot to kill the dog would alert enemies much sooner than the dog's bark. Unless of course you had a silencer on your gun. There is no way the animals will be immune to gunfire. Rockstar would not include them at all if they could not be killed because that would totally kill the immersion.

I hope we have silencers, stealth in GTA would kick ass..

MLGTA
  • MLGTA

Espionage

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

I thought this article was going to be pointless, but wow was it a good read. Some points that stood out to me was the fact that getting more high end vehicles (not just jets) is going to be challenging. Also animals was alreadu a confirmed for me but its nice to hear it from R* themselves. biggrin.gif

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (MosquitoSmasher @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 20:53)
QUOTE (SammiiDoogles @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 20:50)

Yup! Another team is developing the multiplayer and is spending pretty much the same amount of attention to it compared to the other team on the singleplayer, so it's aight with me.

fair enough, shouldn't be worried then.

MosquitoSmasher
  • MosquitoSmasher

Moonwalker like MJ

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (Isuck100% @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 22:07)

hope so...

Exactly. And we could kill every single animal in RDR , plus we could kill pigeons in GTA IV. Animals are animals, simple.

Hurrikane
  • Hurrikane

Chop

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

^ And I hope/think that the animals will be a no nonsense bunch, since at times we will have weapons. If you try and drive up to them they will run off, you will have be very sneaky or else, someone is going to have Trevor Stew! biggrin.gif

MLGTA
  • MLGTA

Espionage

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

What did mean about building a satisfying weapon arsenal?

MosquitoSmasher
  • MosquitoSmasher

Moonwalker like MJ

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (Hurrikane @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 22:36)
^ And I hope/think that the animals will be a no nonsense bunch, since at times we will have weapons. If you try and drive up to them they will run off, you will have be very sneaky or else, someone is going to have Trevor Stew! biggrin.gif

I wonder if animals will attack us in the countryside like RDR. Imagine riding on your dirtbike or bmx in the mountanis and a bear attacking you out of nowhere or any vicious animal biggrin.gif

I found this VERY interesting:

“Players are always finding ways of tackling missions that we hadn't considered and we don't want to restrict that. If a solution feels like it should work the player should be able to try it - we don't want to restrict creativity."

I wonder if this means we can simply jump off the building with Michael with a parachute, instead of finishing the mission like the previewers said. And if i recall right, it IS optional to switch to the sniper guy in that mission, right? It shows a prompt but we CAN stay Michael there, can't we?

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (MosquitoSmasher @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 23:36)
QUOTE (Hurrikane @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 22:36)
^ And I hope/think that the animals will be a no nonsense bunch, since at times we will have weapons. If you try and drive up to them they will run off, you will have be very sneaky or else, someone is going to have Trevor Stew!  biggrin.gif

I wonder if animals will attack us in the countryside like RDR. Imagine riding on your dirtbike or bmx in the mountanis and a bear attacking you out of nowhere or any vicious animal biggrin.gif

I found this VERY interesting:

“Players are always finding ways of tackling missions that we hadn't considered and we don't want to restrict that. If a solution feels like it should work the player should be able to try it - we don't want to restrict creativity."

I wonder if this means we can simply jump off the building with Michael with a parachute, instead of finishing the mission like the previewers said. And if i recall right, it IS optional to switch to the sniper guy in that mission, right? It shows a prompt but we CAN stay Michael there, can't we?

YES.

But I recall the IGN guys talking about the fact that in some missions you HAVE to switch for the purposes of plot development of course. Which is understandable if the story is to move forward with a particular character.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users