All Screens Here

508 replies to this topic
DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (DizzeeXL @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 12:05)
Wonder if this could be a Michael's save house. Also can't wait to see how they improved the saving system.

user posted image

The shame is that this pic is most probably photoshopped. Compare this one with others or even the trailer. Or don't if you don't want to be disappointed at all.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Stop with the photoshop nonsense

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 17:18)

Wait, so that picture above is photoshopped? I thought it was an official screenshot released by IGN.

mercie_blink.gif

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 18:21)

Wait, so that picture above is photoshopped? I thought it was an official screenshot released by IGN.

mercie_blink.gif

Do you think IGN made any screens in V? R* provides them theses screens.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (DS 17 @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 17:23)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 18:21)

mercie_blink.gif

Do you think IGN made any screens in V? R* provides them theses screens.

I know that. But they were saying above the picture is photoshopped. I was just wondering if that was true or not.

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 19:18)

It's not nonsense. Some of them are obviously photoshopped, like the ones that show depth of field.

It seems they are simulating real world photography with a lot of these screenshots - and this is done in post. The trailer of course is gameplay (well, with some cinematic shots).

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:29 PM Edited by deffpony, 09 February 2013 - 05:31 PM.

IF there is any post production to the photos im sure its minor brightness and hue changes. But even that probably doesn't happen.

But what is true is that rockstar meticulously sets these screen shots up so that everything looks its best

@Adriaan: so you mean to say that rockstar is messing with their screens via photoshop?

Edit: hmm I guess that makes sense. Much like the del perro cyclist shot

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 17:29)
IF there is any post production to the photos im sure its minor brightness and hue changes. But even that probably doesn't happen.

But what is true is that rockstar meticulously sets these screen shots up so that everything looks its best

Alright, so it IS from the game... just polished a bit?

I was under the impression that the whole thing was photoshopped.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 12:30)

I guess you could say that everything is in game but they tweak the photos afterwards to add an artistic feel?

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 19:29)
Edit: hmm I guess that makes sense. Much like the del perro cyclist shot

Yes. That's an observation I have made. Seems like they're meant to simulate real world professional photography. It is possible that the depth of field filters are inside the game but, you have to admit, these won't be in normal gameplay.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 17:32)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 12:30)

I guess you could say that everything is in game but they tweak the photos afterwards to add an artistic feel?

Well yeah. But for this particular photo, I thought you guys were saying it was built from the ground up using nothing but photoshop... which would make it a fake. But that's not the case.

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:42 PM Edited by Mr. Darko, 09 February 2013 - 05:50 PM.

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 17:34)
Well yeah. But for this particular photo, I thought you guys were saying it was built from the ground up using nothing but photoshop... which would make it a fake. But that's not the case.

Well, when people say screens are "photoshopped," they aren't implying that they are faked by amateurs, they're referring to the idea that the developers themselves are touching up images (which is the primary purpose of Photoshop, by the way; making images out of scratch from it is a not an intended use of the software, at least not originally) to make the graphics look better, for advertising purposes.

It's probably true that they use Photoshop or similar software to touch up images to a certain degree, such as adjusting lighting and hue levels, or adding artistic depth of field, to best fit the desired 'mood' of the given screenshot. However, I doubt they use it to, for instance, recreate an entire area in higher fidelity than is possible. Quite simply, stuff like that isn't a result of post-processing but rather differences between the shader engine as it is during development and as it is at release. Some things they may have to sacrifice during the optimization process, or they can simply tune things up to a higher level because they don't have to worry about running the game at a high framerate when taking a screenshot. This is especially obvious when you notice that many of their attempts to 'touch up' images are quite obvious and surprisingly amateurish, so I doubt their guys have the skills to completely recreate the graphics for us.

Probably the biggest thing, however, is that with a screenshot, they can painstakingly choose the best lighting and positioning set-up to get the best out of the graphics. Anyone who's played R*'s games know that there's times when the graphics look almost real, and times when they're not so good, which can change primarily because of the time of day and weather conditions. Usually we end up averaging out those times to judge the graphics as a whole. However, R* can ensure that each and every screenshot looks great, and they end up looking disproportionately good. They can move the sun in impossible positions to achieve breathtaking sights, and adjust the lighting levels ingame in ways that we'd have to constantly adjust if we want it at the same fidelity. Things like that.

So there's several reasons why screenshots might end up looking better than the final game that have nothing to do with post-processing touching up.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (Mr. Darko @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 17:42)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 17:34)

Well, when people say screens are "photoshopped," they aren't implying that they are faked by amateurs, they're referring to the idea that the developers themselves are touching up images (the primary purpose of photoshop, by the way; making images out of scratch from it is a not an intended use of the software, at least not originally) to make the graphics look better, for advertising purposes.

Yeah, that's what I was confused about. I know developers like to polish up their screenshots. I was just confused this time because of the context I suppose.

greenrock
  • greenrock

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

user posted image

is that Franklin talking to Michael?

where's Trevor?

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (greenrock @ Thursday, Feb 21 2013, 18:18)
user posted image

where's Trevor?

Why the f*ck should Trevor be there? It's obviously that there won't be all of the 3 together all the time.

FranticFatality
  • FranticFatality

British Hillbilly

• Members

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (DS 17 @ Thursday, Feb 21 2013, 17:58)
QUOTE (greenrock @ Thursday, Feb 21 2013, 18:18)
user posted image

where's Trevor?

Why the f*ck should Trevor be there? It's obviously that there won't be all of the 3 together all the time.

Looks like someone is mad.

UncleVlad
  • UncleVlad

Vice City Stories!

• Members

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (greenrock @ Thursday, Feb 21 2013, 17:18)
user posted image

where's Trevor?

No those guys are Abraham Lincoln and Obama talking dozingoff.gif

greenrock
  • greenrock

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

user posted image

Ron's either the guy with the hat, or the guy with the cornrows

most likely the guy with the hat (closer to Trevor's age)

EvilFuture
  • EvilFuture

To Harm and Withhold™

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

If you think that the screenshots aren't touched up then you are clearly lying to yourself. I mean, really, others look really really good and others look like that's what the in game graphics will look like, much like GTA 4's screens were. Take a look.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Those are just a few examples. Looks nothing like the final game, although the screens are pretty low quality, but the colors and reflections and cars and stuff are a lot better. The trailers are what is in game graphics, not these screens.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

They are def touched up, of course, but not so much that it becomes false advertising

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

Some of the IV screens were touched up to hide unfinished parts of the map. On the first screen you posted you can see models with no textures or repeated textures, in the middle pic you can see the city is basically empty.

Magic_Al
  • Magic_Al

Boss

• Members

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:54 AM Edited by Magic_Al, 22 February 2013 - 02:56 AM.

QUOTE (gtafreak10 @ Thursday, Feb 21 2013, 18:58)
If you think that the screenshots aren't touched up then you are clearly lying to yourself. I mean, really, others look really really good and others look like that's what the in game graphics will look like, much like GTA 4's screens were. Take a look.

Those are just a few examples. Looks nothing like the final game, although the screens are pretty low quality, but the colors and reflections and cars and stuff are a lot better. The trailers are what is in game graphics, not these screens.

If anything you proved they're NOT touched up. Why would they release a shot of obviously untextured buildings except that was how the game looked then — keep in mind the screenshots in the Game Informer article are by far the oldest look at GTA IV, older than the first trailer because of the lead time for a magazine.

EDIT: one exception, the buildings with no reflections in the water, obviously that's fake.

GTAction99
  • GTAction99

R*

• Members

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE (greenrock @ Thursday, Feb 21 2013, 21:51)
user posted image

Ron's either the guy with the hat, or the guy with the dreads

most likely the guy with the hat (closer to Trevor's age)

Fixed.

Remi749
  • Remi749

Thug

• Members

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

Hey I saw you used the "old (don't know how old it is...)" url-ending on the official screenshots from rockstargames, you should change it from /s1280.jpg to /1280.jpg smile.gif

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:50 PM Edited by deffpony, 24 February 2013 - 11:32 PM.

QUOTE (Remi749 @ Sunday, Feb 24 2013, 17:45)
Hey I saw you used the "old (don't know how old it is...)" url-ending on the official screenshots from rockstargames, you should change it from /s1280.jpg to /1280.jpg smile.gif

All links should be good now. Thanks for the feedback

giantpaulosa
  • giantpaulosa

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

"Trevor Pilots Large Jet"

CAN ANYONE TEEL ME WICH BIG AIRPLANE IS? THAT TREVOR IS FLYING?

A BOEING 747?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (giantpaulosa @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 07:46)
"Trevor Pilots Large Jet"

CAN ANYONE TEEL ME WICH BIG AIRPLANE IS? THAT TREVOR IS FLYING?

A BOEING 747?

I think it's an airbus. I remember Los Santos County Sherriff went apesh*t on all of us after we called it a 747 though lol.gif

giantpaulosa
  • giantpaulosa

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

The nose of the Airbus has a more rounded shape. This seems more like a Boeing airplane because the nose is more pointed. Either way I think the game loses much if there are no commercial aircraft. The fact of having planes by map makes it much more real.

giantpaulosa
  • giantpaulosa

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

It could be this airplane to!

user posted image

JohnnyVendetta
  • JohnnyVendetta

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (DizzeeXL @ Saturday, Feb 9 2013, 11:05)
Wonder if this could be a Michael's save house. Also can't wait to see how they improved the saving system.

user posted image

Pretty sure it will have a similar feature to the way Vice City 10th anniversary is in terms of the auto-save but we'll have to see.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users