Photo

MySQL

8 replies to this topic
Node
  • Node

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:26 PM Edited by The_Sorrow, 13 November 2012 - 10:38 PM.

Can somebody please explain how MySQL could be used?

I've read brief descriptions and I thought that it was some type of server in which a variety of program's can use it to access the Internet or connect multiple computers together using the net, such as instant messaging clients, is this correct?

OzzySM12
  • OzzySM12

Hmm...

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

No. MySQL is a databse server. Many websites an programs may access a database server to get the information from it just like GTAForums does. This topic, my replies, our user account info, etc... is all stored in a databse. SQL is the language used to write the queries for getting information out of a database, which is why you'll see other database servers like MSSQL, Oracle SQL, etc...

Havea read at this wiki page http://en.wikipedia....nagement_system

Node
  • Node

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for the reply Ozzy , I understand now. icon14.gif

Phil96
  • Phil96

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

• Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Like Ozzy said, MySQL is a server database. Most hosts Support it. MySQL uses php to work. The present day MySQL uses are in Forum Software to store data. You can use phpMyAdmin to view your database contents & tables, import & export them as well.

OzzySM12
  • OzzySM12

Hmm...

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (Phil96 @ Tuesday, Nov 20 2012, 12:16)
MySQL uses php to work.

Wrong.

PHP is nothing to do with MySQL, it is simply one of many languages that has features to connect to MySQL (and many other database servers).

I already answered his question so there is no need to pile on to my answer with incorrect information. Not trying to be a dick but it is information like that which had the guy confused about what MySQL was in the first place.

Nebby
  • Nebby

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

Its all in all a database. Take for instance an emulator; the emulator connects to the database, then reads the tables and gathers information from it. Simple, really.

iHydra
  • iHydra

Canadian

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Like Ozzy said. MySQL is a database server. Easy to use. And I don't it needs php. Rather it is used by programs written in php. Invision Power Board, MyBulletinBoard. Even blogs like WordPress use it.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Everything that saves data in a database like a forum, a blog or even an enterprise intranet uses mySQL. It doesn't necessarily need PHP but PHP uses mySQL when solicited. So in short, mySQL is a database where data is stored. This forum has one for example, and I bet it's quite big.

OzzySM12
  • OzzySM12

Hmm...

• Members

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Like Ozzy said.... Like Ozzy said...
Yes, Ozzy answered the question over a month ago... why keep piling on?

QUOTE (iHydra)
And I don't it needs php. Rather it is used by programs written in php.

No! It uses programs written in a various languages.

For everyone else who cannot seem to grasp the concept;
Database servers (MySQWL, MSSQL, etc...) are stand alone applications.
Programing languages (VB, C++, PHP, Perl, ColdFustion, etc...) are used to make server side scripts, stand alone applications, etc...
Database servers sit online waiting to be accessed by applications, server side scripts or users through a console.

Yes MySQL & PHP are one of the most common mixes, but are in no way tied to or require each other.
If you want to access MySQL through another language (or directly through a console) you can.
If you want to use PHP to access another database server (e.g. MSSQL) you can.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users