» «
Photo

FTL: Faster Than Light

15 replies to this topic
Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:18 AM Edited by Benjimino234, 15 November 2012 - 04:27 AM.

user posted image
user posted image

user posted imageuser posted image
user posted imageuser posted image

I didn't think much of this game when it was released, I just wasn't excited about the rougelike gameplay but until I actually saw a LP on it on Youtube I just had to get it. Already clocked 16 hours on it and having lots of fun and frustration. I have yet to defeat the boss but I can extremely close two times. The first I actually did kill the flagship but I died just before as we we're both on one Hull bar and the second time he FTL'd two times and could not defeat it the third time as I was too damaged.

So anyone else play this game? I would like to share tips and stories.

Bonus: How to Unlock Ships

The Nesasio

user posted image
To unlock the Stealth Cruiser, you must have at least one Engi crewmember. Warp to the Engi Homeworlds and find a warp zone where a small fleet of Engi ships are gathering. The node you are looking for does not have any special icons, so no distress beacon, and if you have the Long-Range Scanners augment, no yellow triangle indicating possible ships. Select the blue option available.

The Engi will present you with two quests to complete. However, one of them will be a dead end. You may complete both quests to get some rewards. But if you have already extracted information from the correct ship, then you don't need to pursue the other ship and can warp straight to the last quest point. The choice to finish the battles off or let them go will also not affect the reward. See the Engi Fleet Discussion Random Event.
Mantis Cruiser
user posted image

The Mantis Cruiser ship class is unlocked by facing KazaaakplethKilik in the Mantis Homeworld. Long range sensors will show a possible ship detected there, indicated with a yellow triangle with exclamation mark. Before the encounter you must have a Level 2 Medbay and a Teleport (a Mantis crew member is not required). When you encounter the thief, follow these steps:
  • Attack or hail him (both result in a fight)
  • Defeat the ship without destroying it
  • (Teleporter) Quickly teleport additional crew and check for survivors.
  • (Adv. Medbay) Quickly teleport him back to the medbay.
  • Note that if you take too long to kill the enemy crew, KazaaakplethKilik will die from his wounds.
  • The accompanying message is, "It seems almost a waste for such a fierce foe to die in such an anticlimactic fashion. You shrug it off and take what you can."
  • Note that if you don't have a level 2 medbay, KazaakplethKilik will tell you where his stash is and then die, you will not unlock the cruiser.

The ship must not be destroyed when attacking them, so you must teleport your crew over and assault them, or use a bio beam to kill all enemy crew.
Engi Cruiser
user posted image

To unlock this Engi ship, you just need to get to the 5th sector.
The Osprey
user posted image

This cruiser is unlocked by beating The Rebel Flagship in The Last Stand sector on either difficulty.
Slug Cruiser
user posted image

To unlock this Slug Cruiser, you must:
  • Have either Sensors Rank 2 or a Slug crew member.
  • Go to the Slug Home Nebula (Purple Sector)
  • Some Slug ships will surrender once hurt in exchange for what's in their stores. Do this. One of them will have an experimental weapon (Anti-Bio Beam), Instead, ask for some data. You get a quest marker.
  • At the new quest beacon, choose to tail the enemy ships instead of trying to go charging in, then choose whichever Blue option you have. You'll get in a fight where the enemy is powering up FTL to get away. Kill the crew and congratulations, you get the Slug Cruiser. If you destroy the ship, there is a chance to not unlock the ship.
Rock Cruiser
user posted image

Encounter a Rock Assault ship in the Rock Homeworlds. They will question your intentions, and you need to say that "We're going to save them (The Federation) or die trying."
A quest beacon will appear. Survive this encounter until the ship warps to the next sector. Do not destroy them. You will get a quest beacon in either the current sector or the next one. Go there to unlock the ship (and get a free Rock Plating augment for your current ship).
Zoltan Cruiser
user posted image

Go into the Zoltan Homeworlds and wander around until you find a normal beacon with an Unarmed Zoltan Transport that you need to "hear out". They will then give you a quest marker in the same or next system.
Upon arrival at the quest beacon, a rebel ship closes in fast saying "you're not getting away this time". Choose to hail it and then say: "Perhaps there could be a reconciliation of our ideals without war?", and finally "True progress can only be achieved without bloodshed".
Crystal Cruiser
user posted image

This ship is found by first acquiring the damaged stasis pod and then managing to bring it to the Zoltan Research Facility. Take the blue option to look at the capsule, and you will have the chance to have a Crystal being on your crew. He will then direct you to a quest in the Rock Homeworlds where you must find the warp point that gives another blue option.

Note: The first event will be a Distress single- it will be debris in an asteroid shield that requires a blue option (rock plating and I believe improved sensors). The Second (research station) appears to only be in empty space (aka with sensors you will just see a yellow diamond). The third event will never have a distress beacon.

Note: This is a -very- annoyingly achievement to unlock considering you need 4 random events to all happen in the same order (find stasis pod, find research beacon, find rock homeworld, find unmarked beacon in rock homeworld- its very easy to land in the homeworld and not be able to find the wormhole to crystal sector), and its possible for the rock homeworld to not even be on your map (making it impossible to unlock the ship on that run).

Tips: Start with the rock ship (or the stealth cruiser- The Long Range Scanners really help to find the right spaces to check!) and hit all the distress singles you can find. As you hop around the map, prioritize your path toget adjacent to as many sectors as possible to find said distress sigles- your rock plating will be the blue option to unlock it (possible to find stasis pod in first/second sectors). I belive this distress signal can be found in ALL sectors. Then prioritize engi/zoltan/nebula on your path (research station can be found in nebulae, but not as good an option as zoltan/engi). You'll need to find an "empty" space that doesn't have a ship/distress signal in it (the Long Range Scanner augment helps here). Once that is found, keep in mind the rock homeworld rarely spawns as soon as sector 5, typically its 6/7. Once in the homeworld stay away from distress signals/ships and pray!

69_black_69
  • 69_black_69

Just Beacuase

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:04 AM

Yes, this game is soo awesome.
Almost beat the Rebel Flagship, with my Engi Cruiser, and with 2 Ion Blast, 1 Burst Laser, and 2 Assault Drones installed. But everything changed after i run out on drone parts.

Tips from me would be:
- Hire crews as much as you can (Try attacking Slaver Ships, they will give you a free crew, when their ships is almost destroyed)
- Always manning system with a crew, and never changes them. Because it will increase the crews skill on their respective system.
- Buy an Ion weapon, because it can disable an enemy's system/subsytem for some times. But make sure you have another weapon/drones that can damage enemy's hull, because ion weapon can't.
- If you already have an Ion weapon, disable the shield/weapon system first.

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

69_black_69 Thanks for the general gameplay tips, already know them but others might not as it's a pretty tough game. What do you usually upgrade first in your runs? I found upgrading the doors to the max the best investment then usually shields but I often get greedy and upgrade my weapons which doesn't always work out. I also found upgrading the sensors all the way is kind of handy as you get special options during random events which save deadly encounters - though I recommend you try this on a 'Easy' run as 85 scrap is better spent on other things.

I underestimated upgrading engines but found once it gets past the 2x tier getting 50% evade is nice.

69_black_69
  • 69_black_69

Just Beacuase

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

First thing that i upgrade is the sensor system. Its really useful.
And yeah, upgrading shield is a must.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

This is a great game. I must get back onit at some point. I fell outta love with it after I didn't realise that oxygen systems can go down in the nebula areas. Caused me to loose all but one crew member who was in the medical bay out of the 7 I had. I manadged to geto the final sector but had no chance with one crew member. My ship had level 3 shields and was quite beastly was gutted rip the crew of ss raven sad.gif

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

I only got the chance to play this once, got too busy reviewing other titles but I did make a video of my first play through chronicling the maiden voyage of the Flying Carrot, suffice to say I lasted about eight minutes after losing a crew member stupidly due to a lack of oxygen and then being ripped open by another ship. It was immensely fun though to manage all the varying systems and make the decisions, will have to get back into it sometime.

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

Post some high scores?

user posted image

Noticed midway that I spelt 'Meridian Leisure' wrong but oh well. It might bug me if it remains there but I'll have to wait and see. Also I have no idea where that name came from, I just try to pick cool ones that pop into my head.

69_black_69
  • 69_black_69

Just Beacuase

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

^Ok.
Never change the name of my ship. Well, never give a f*ck about it, i guess.
user posted image

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:25 PM Edited by oysterbarron, 12 November 2012 - 05:28 PM.

I'm game, some good stats there kinda embarrassed to post mine now! It turns out i got my ship name wrong although SS raven will be my next ship. It's kinda ironic that i called it UNF gastro considering how the great majority of the crew died in the end, coincidence i think not!

user posted image

@benjimino how do you change the color of the ship?

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:01 AM Edited by Benjimino234, 13 November 2012 - 09:11 AM.

The Onslaught the the Type B layout for the Kestrel, you simply have to have 2/3 achievements unlocked to unlock it. It's pretty good, it comes with four crew members: 2 human, 1 Mantis, 1 Zoltan and 4 Basic Lasers.

• Have six unique aliens on the Kestrel Cruiser Simultaneously.
  • Have every system and subsystem installed on the Kestrel Cruiser at one time.
  • As the Kestrel Cruiser, repair back to full health when it only has 1 HP remaining.
They're pretty tough the 1st and 3rd ones. I managed to get the 2nd and 3rd unlocked.

I also have the Type B layout for The Taurus and boy it is insanely hard to play with it.

EDIT: YES, I finally beat the Rebel Flagship. Took me 30 tries in 18 hours but I did it, hopefully you guys can perform this feat in less time. I also knocked myself off 'Most Piloted Evasions'. The weapons I used were the Ion Blast II and the Pegasus Missile, I also had a hull laser but used it like 3 times. No crew teleporter but had the standard Taurus crew plus two Zoltans and a Rockman. I also had the FTL Pre-Ignitor which is my favourite augmentation, gives you such an edge.
user posted image

69_black_69
  • 69_black_69

Just Beacuase

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:23 PM Edited by 69_black_69, 13 November 2012 - 03:27 PM.

Arggh, just lost my most powerful ships i've ever played.
It's The Torus, with 2 Ion weapon, and Burst Laser Mark III. 2 Assault Drones and 1 Defense Drones.
Augmented with Shield Recharge Booster, Long Range Scanner, and another one that heals crews outside med-bay.
Level 4 Shield, Engine with 3x dodge chance, improved blast door, and Level 3 Sensor.

But damn the Rebel Fighter Ships, with their personnel Drone, their Time Bomb and Missile Weapon.
They always teleported their drone into my ships. After one died, they send another drone.
Tried to disabled their drone system, their f*cking Missile and time Bomb breaching my ships's hull, and set it on fire.

I win, but all of my crew died because of the fire, drone, and the breaching that decrease the ships oxygen supply.
I'm almost sure that i'll won in the sector eight with it, but damn, only reach sector 5 because of that Rebel ships.

And still have 153 scraps left, plus 4 other weapon in the inventory.

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Oh man that sucks, were the Rebel Fighters you're referring to are the high levelled ones that consume the map or was it a standard spawn event one?

It sounds you were seriously stocked up and doing so well by Sector 5. I hate especially dying after I purchase an expensive weapon or augmentation like Cloaking, FTL Pre-Igniter or Ion Blast II. I can't wait to play the new Federation Ship I unlocked, the Artillery Beam looks so awesome that seen in LP's.

69_black_69
  • 69_black_69

Just Beacuase

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:43 PM Edited by 69_black_69, 13 November 2012 - 04:45 PM.

Standard one.
It happened after i'm in the exit beacon, and it said that there are a Rebel Fighters Ship nearby. So i thought it would like another Rebel Fighter ships that were easy to be wrecked. So i engage it. Ah, stupid me!

I can't believe it either, man.
I'm not doing so well in the first three sector. After i got to the Engi Homeworlds Sector (Trying to unlock Stealth Cruiser) and just jump from here and there, and each time arriving in the new zone, don't know why, i always get a bonus like scraps, weapon,drones and even an augmentation.
Lucky me! but not so lucky, i guess.

Damn, i really want to play with another ship. Why is it so hard to get another ships. mad.gif

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:23 AM Edited by Benjimino234, 15 November 2012 - 04:30 AM.

I beat the flagship again with the Osprey (the ship that they give you) the artillery beam is amazing.

I almost unlocked the Slug ship but it got away.

EDIT: Updated OP with a how to unlock the other ships.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:09 AM

Finally manadged to get all ship components the other night. Manadged to pick up drone control cloak and teleporter in a very short time. Was shocked at how many blue options you get with all the systems aboard your ship. Now I just need the heal up from 1 hp or 7 alien crew members.

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

I've unlocked type B for the Osprey, have yet to try it out but I've gotten all the variants for the three ships I have.

It's surprisingly difficult to unlock the other ships.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users