Quantcast

» «
Photo

What was Alderney?

37 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you guys think Alderney was? (69 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you guys think Alderney was?

1. I think it was the entire state of Alderney (11 votes [17.74%])

Percentage of vote: 17.74%

2. I think it was just a major city in Alderney (Carcer City, etc.) (17 votes [27.42%])

Percentage of vote: 27.42%

3. I think it was part of Alderney (34 votes [54.84%])

Percentage of vote: 54.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

Didn't you guys think Alderney was a little...bare? Obviously, it couldn't have been the whole state, but what do you guys think?

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

Nothing special, as Rockstar says, it's just Liberty City's ugly sister.

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

Well since Alderney is based of New Jersey, I'm thinking it's based on the sh*tty part of NJ without the Jersey Shore idiot

Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

I never thought it was the whole state, just a part of it that's based on the parts of New Jersey neighboring New York City. Just a "county" you could say, even though it's never stated in the game (it's only referred to as a separate state). Kinda weird how the LCPD still patrolled there despite it being a totally different place from Liberty City.

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (Claude94 @ Sunday, Nov 11 2012, 22:19)
Kinda weird how the LCPD still patrolled there despite it being a totally different place from Liberty City.

I think Alderney is meant to be a city in the state of New York. That's why LCPD still patrols there. Also, their uniforms are different from the uniforms of the officers that patrol Liberty City.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE (Fisciletti @ Sunday, Nov 11 2012, 20:21)

I think Alderney is meant to be a city in the state of New York.

But they state in-game that Alderney is a seperate state from Liberty

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Sunday, Nov 11 2012, 22:29)

I never saw it. Source?

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE (Fisciletti @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 01:30)

I never saw it. Source?

Even the GTA Wiki page is called "State of Alderney". http://gta.wikia.com/State_of_Alderney I don't blame you for not knowing, I think it was mentioned only in one mission in IV and a few others in TLaD.

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

Livin' It Up At The Hotel California

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

I thunk it is only part of it. I've been to NJ (Alderney) and it is a lot bigger. At least half the size of all the bouroughs in Libert City seeing as it isn't based off of actual sizes of NY. For instance, the place which Broker is based off of is A LOT bigger.

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE (SomeManForGTA @ Sunday, Nov 11 2012, 22:32)

I never saw it. Source?

Even the GTA Wiki page is called "State of Alderney". http://gta.wikia.com/State_of_Alderney I don't blame you for not knowing, I think it was mentioned only in one mission in IV and a few others in TLaD.

Then it makes no sense. Why would the LCPD patrol it? Also, as I said before, Rockstar says that Alderney is "Liberty City's ugly sister".

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE (Fisciletti @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 01:41)

I never saw it. Source?

Then it makes no sense. Why would the LCPD patrol it? Also, as I said before, Rockstar says that Alderney is "Liberty City's ugly sister".

What rockstar mean by ugly sister is, Alderney and Liberty City are close, but Alderney isn't as glamorous. It means they're not the same thing and one is better than the other. Know what I mean?

And for LCPD patrolling Alderney. That might be an oversight by Rockstar. But maybe it's because they're so close and alderney is to poor for its own PD? I don't know.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE (Fisciletti @ Sunday, Nov 11 2012, 20:41)

I never saw it. Source?

They do have their own police department (different uniforms, etc.), they just use the LCPD's cars. Perhaps they bought LCPD cars second-hand and have yet to repaint them?

Linc.
  • Linc.

Damage, Inc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:25 AM

@universetwisters - I'd say it was just Rockstar's laziness. Rather than making a new texture for the already existing Police Patrol/Cruiser they could just reuse Liberty City one, smile.gif

I have always assumed it was the entire state, there is no mention of any 'mainland' Alderney so, really, it is all anyone can assume without blatantly jumping to conclusions.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 00:25)
@universetwisters - I'd say it was just Rockstar's laziness. Rather than making a new texture for the already existing Police Patrol/Cruiser they could just reuse Liberty City one, smile.gif

Damn, and they make an entire separate cruiser for NOOSE bored.gif they could've at least done something in TLAD, which takes place in most of Alderney!

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Something came up to my mind.

There's a "neighborhood" in Alderney called "Alderney City". Maybe it's really a city inside the state of Alderney and the other "neighborhoods" are the other cities.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (Fisciletti @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 07:43)

There's a "neighborhood" in Alderney called "Alderney City". Maybe it's really a city inside the state of Alderney and the other "neighborhoods" are the other cities.

I've noticed that too, but if that were true, then whey don't they have separate police departments, town halls, etc.? The only town halls I can recall in Alderney are in Leftwood and Alderney City

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 09:47)

I've noticed that too, but if that were true, then whey don't they have separate police departments, town halls, etc.? The only town halls I can recall in Alderney are in Leftwood and Alderney City

I never saw them, could you post a picture?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (Fisciletti @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 07:56)

Sure.

user posted image
Town Hall=Community Hall?

There's also a "State House" in Alderney city, as taken from the GTA Wiki:

New Jersey State House – Located in Trenton, New Jersey. Depicted in the game as the Alderney State House. Just off Jonestown Ave and Applewhite St.

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 10:09)
QUOTE (Fisciletti @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 07:56)

Sure.

user posted image
Town Hall=Community Hall?

There's also a "State House" in Alderney city, as taken from the GTA Wiki:

New Jersey State House – Located in Trenton, New Jersey. Depicted in the game as the Alderney State House. Just off Jonestown Ave and Applewhite St.

Wow, I never saw it.

Well, based on that maybe Leftwood and Alderney City are the only cities of the state of Alderney and the other neighborhoods are part of one of them (Leftwood or Alderney City).

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

Livin' It Up At The Hotel California

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (Fisciletti @ Sunday, Nov 11 2012, 17:41)

I never saw it. Source?

"Liberty City's ugly sister" doesn't mean anything. It simply means that it is a neighbouring city to LC. Also, it is a state, not a part of Liberty City. Alderney is based off of real-life New Jersey. R* just got lazy and put LCPD patrol cars there instead of APD patrol cars.

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:59 PM Edited by Fisciletti, 12 November 2012 - 11:21 PM.

Okay, here's some info about Alderney (source: http://gta.wikia.com/Alderney):

• Alderney City is really a city, it's the capital of the state of Alderney.
  • The police officers of Alderney City were uniforms different to those of Liberty City which resemble those of the New Jersey State Police. Contrary to this independence the Alderney City police use vehicles bearing the livery of the LCPD. The reason for this sharing of a police force between two cities in two different states is never explained. Though perhaps Alderney City could not afford to establish their own police force and, due to the city's proximity to Liberty City, made an arragement to share a metroploitan police force. This ability of a police force to operate across state lines is strange.
  • Townships and industrial areas of the state:

• Westdyke.
    • Leftwood.
    • Alderney City.
    • Berchem.
    • Acter.
    • Normandy.
    • Tudor.
    • Port Tudor.
    • Acter Industrial Park.

• Some dialogue in the game refers to Alderney as “Guernsey” (Guernsey is another neighboring Channel Island to Jersey, just as Alderney is), suggesting that, at some point in GTA IV's development, the state may have carried its GTA 1 name of "New Guernsey"; "Guernsey" may, however, simply be a nickname for the state. James Pegorino mentions both names in the Payback mission cutscene.
  • Although Alderney's police officers wear a New Jersey State Police styled uniform rather than the standard LCPD uniform, they reside at LCPD stations, and drive LCPD cruisers, making them part of the same City Police Department. Some officers will announce themselves as being a state trooper while others will announce themselves as the LCPD.
  • In the beta map for GTA IV, Alderney appeared to have a piece of land extending to the north which was removed during development.
  • Alderney is the single state in whole GTA series to not included an airport or a railway system but it is unknown if the present Alderney in GTA IV is just a part of the state.

Alderney could be bigger. Also, New Guernsey is just a district of Liberty City on Grand Theft Auto (the first), not a state.

QUOTE (MikeMyth @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 12:59)
It simply means that it is a neighbouring city to LC.

That's what I thought before knowing it was a state.

gta_rulez
  • gta_rulez

Rockster Noord

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

I think it's Jersey City.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Damn amigos, Alderney has so much potential to be an actual city, hell, even a new GTA location. I'm considering making a mod that unleases it's full potential sigh.gif but on topic, good find, Fisciletti, and I think it's a parody/spoof of Jersey City too, gta_rulez

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 20:21)
Damn amigos, Alderney has so much potential to be an actual city, hell, even a new GTA location.

I completely agree with you, the state of Alderney is much bigger than the one we saw in IV.

Huang Leroy
  • Huang Leroy

A.K.A. YungLive201

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

The neighborhoods of Alderney are based on different cities and towns of New Jersey, Alderney City is based on Newark and Jersey City, but it mostly takes the shape of Newark. Berchem is based on Hoboken, Acter is based on Kearny, while Acter Industrial Park is based on Industrial areas of Kearny, Elizabeth, and Linden. Port Tudor is based on the Newark-Elizabeth ports. That I know for sure based on having been around those areas at times.

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (YungLive201 @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 21:14)
The neighborhoods of Alderney are based on different cities and towns of New Jersey, Alderney City is based on Newark and Jersey City, but it mostly takes the shape of Newark. Berchem is based on Hoboken, Acter is based on Kearny, while Acter Industrial Park is based on Industrial areas of Kearny, Elizabeth, and Linden. Port Tudor is based on the Newark-Elizabeth ports. That I know for sure based on having been around those areas at times.

Yes, they also mean it here: http://gta.wikia.com/Alderney.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (Fisciletti @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 18:39)
QUOTE (universetwisters @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 20:21)
Damn amigos, Alderney has so much potential to be an actual city, hell, even a new GTA location.

I completely agree with you, the state of Alderney is much bigger than the one we saw in IV.

Dude, what if WE made GTA: Alderney, or at least some kind of mod? It's kinda on-topic, given that this thread/poll is about Alderney

Linc.
  • Linc.

Damage, Inc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:32 AM

There, it can't be a city. Alderney City is the city in Alderney. There's no reason to believe there is any more to Alderney than the island in GTA 4, there really isn't.

Huang Leroy
  • Huang Leroy

A.K.A. YungLive201

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 00:32)
There, it can't be a city. Alderney City is the city in Alderney. There's no reason to believe there is any more to Alderney than the island in GTA 4, there really isn't.

There's a whole lot more they could've added, R* didn't even scratch the surface.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 19:32)

Take a look at London for example: They have the main part (central, London City), and the surrounding suburbs (Staines, Slough, etc.) What if Alderney City is like that, where the city center is named Alderney City, and the rest of the neighborhoods are suburbs/industrial areas?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users