It's not 'Three protagonists',

103 replies to this topic
jogy
  • jogy

GTAF Alumni

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (Narcis_speed6 @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 10:07)
QUOTE (AceRay @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 09:55)
Michael will turn and become the bad guy. I'm calling it now. Its too obvious to be Trevor and Franklin doesn't have it in him.

I think Trevor is going to become the antagonist, he is wreckless and he is going to be excluded from a heist at some point for not following the plan.

I had the same idea.

Zip87
  • Zip87

Thug

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Antagonist literally means rival, which makes sense, since there obviously will be disagreements between the three.

baguvix_wanrltw has the right idea.

sivaG
  • sivaG

Shetland Pony

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I think Michael would become the antagonist.Coz,he is more matured than franklin.And trevor is a "don't care" type maniac.So,the possibility of either trevor or franklin becoming the villain is less!I think Michael would be the badass! mercie_blink.gif

HoofingNinja
  • HoofingNinja

Ninja

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Okay, I understand my header is wrong. But the possibility of killing any of the protagonists is spine tingling. I love the idea of creating their fate, and for you to choose your path in the game and have complete control of the narrative is awesome.

I was always sad that I could not save John Marston. I would have rather killed the family than him, as I felt emotionally attached. But some people preffered the young protégé.

roman bellics brain
  • roman bellics brain

Thug

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

I'm going to kill michael. I hate snitches. They rat on their friends

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (roman bellics brain @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 13:09)

It could be that his 'friends' were planning on killing him, so he turned them in to save his bacon.. We don't know for sure.

Although i'd actually like it if he was a complete back stabbing arsehole, it could make for some interesting gameplay and missions

roman bellics brain
  • roman bellics brain

Thug

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (Honest Bill @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 13:15)
QUOTE (roman bellics brain @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 13:09)

It could be that his 'friends' were planning on killing him, so he turned them in to save his bacon.. We don't know for sure.

Although i'd actually like it if he was a complete back stabbing arsehole, it could make for some interesting gameplay and missions

I agree man. John marston allready did the ''good snitch'' perfectly. His friends were jerks who left him to die but john didnt start signing papper work for the feds. He went out and shot them all down !!!!!! i can respect that kinda snitch

Anyway i hope michael is a back stabbing prick who's hard to kill. Maybe the plan goes wrong once or twice who knows ? I do want a build up though so when you kill him it feels really good.

On the other hand when you play as michael they could show his side.... not that i care i just want to shot a snitch. I admit i would be amazing if done right

I'm not a total hater

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

I'm hoping Trevor is the antagonist. Michael and Frankin are way too likeable.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Perhaps the story is structured so that any one of them can be viewed as the protag and another as the antag. So the outcome of the story depends on whoever the player identifies with.

Taking the concept a step further, perhaps at some point close to the end of the story, the player has to choose who to side with resulting in several different endings.

Just a thought.

HoofingNinja
  • HoofingNinja

Ninja

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (meson1 @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 14:24)
Perhaps the story is structured so that any one of them can be viewed as the protag and another as the antag. So the outcome of the story depends on whoever the player identifies with.

Taking the concept a step further, perhaps at some point close to the end of the story, the player has to choose who to side with resulting in several different endings.

Just a thought.

That's exactly how I think of it. Let us, the player decide which side we choose.

matajuegos
  • matajuegos

2 Years in the forums!!! I MISS YOU ZEE

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

My guess will be Franklin, he's a "repoman" and he works with whoever pays more

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

They have to all be on the same side. It just won't work otherwise.

How would the gameplay balance if you were suddenly working against the person you were playing as? I'm not going to be motivated to bring down someone I've been working half the game to develop.

It was okay in IV because the characters were rarely involved with one another and it created a distance, but with this, you're going to be constantly switching, and that makes no sense.

Shreddy Krueger
  • Shreddy Krueger

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

I actually want all 3 to survive at the end, so we can switch between them all after the final mission. I'm getting tired of all these games now following the trend where the character you play end up dying in the end. It works as a great emotional tool for movies, but when you spend countless hours in a videogame, controlling and putting your own personal/moral traits into the way you play as this character, it makes it all feel like a waste of time just to have it all taken away from you without having the choice. More and more games are ending this way and I think it's a total cop-out and lacks creativity to prolong the game after the story is complete.

The only game (that I've played personally) where this worked was Halo: Reach. And that's because for anyone who knows the Halo lore already knew what happened to planet Reach long before the game was made, and therefore the ending was inevitable and expected, the only thing that wasn't known was HOW your Spartan was going to die.

WF the Hobgoblin
  • WF the Hobgoblin

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

I reckon if anyone's turning bad, it's Trevor, we already know he's crazy.

He'll be the Waingro of GTA V.

Darkshade12
  • Darkshade12

The Trooper.

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

It's going to be Michael, He's probably the smartest one because of his background and experience and so probably plans some sort of heist with Trevor and Franklin but betrays them. I think Trevor is going to be a crazy but loyal character so he wouldn't betray those who help him and Franklin is level headed and wouldn't think betraying Michael and Trevor is the best of ideas.

Smaaske
  • Smaaske

Gangsta

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

Michael will turn and become the bad guy. I'm calling it now. Its too obvious to be Trevor and Franklin doesn't have it in him.

No, it's gonna be Trevor, he's a psycopath

kietotheworld
  • kietotheworld

Hater Player

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

It'll probably end in a Lance Vance style dispute where the player chooses a side.

danny41294
  • danny41294

True City Killers Don

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

It'll be about saving your favourite player, 1 (possibly 2 but I think 1) will die and you have to kill your least favourite.

Up-n-Atom Burger
  • Up-n-Atom Burger

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:16 PM Edited by Up-n-Atom Burger, 10 November 2012 - 03:19 PM.

You see, I don't know if this was posted before, but here I go:
EVERY GTA protagonist is an antagonist. A criminal. A killer.

*That's what Dan is pointing out.

HoofingNinja
  • HoofingNinja

Ninja

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Up-n-Atom Burger @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 15:16)
You see, I don't know if this was posted before, but here I go:
EVERY GTA protagonist is an antagonist. A criminal. A killer.

Yes, I and we understand that now. What we are discussing is the possabilty of choosing your character portays your path in the game, and how you the player would get to choose the outcome. Protagonism/antagonism is just how we are using to debate which character we would like to envision as our good guy/bad guy.

Leo Colt
  • Leo Colt

Psychopathic Philantrophist

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

I don't think he at all means that one of them is going to emerge "traitor", or whatever.

Rather, I think he's trying to explain how the interaction works in this game. Let's use GTA IV as an example. Across the three stories you're playing as different protagonists. They are all indirectly working against each other. Some of Niko's actions have adverse consequences on Johnny and Luis, and vice versa. Therefore, they are all enemies to each other. As for all intents and purposes they are in seperate games, we only have to worry about the protagonist of the story. The other characters float in and out and serve their roles as necessary.

But this time, you've got three characters that you can switch between, and carry out different activities. Those actions might directly effect the other characters. For example, you might complete some missions as Trevor, only to switch characters and discover that those missions you just did have caused major trouble for Michael, etc. In essence, you are creating your own problems for your protagonists to deal with. In that sense, you are playing the antagonist, as you are developing the antagonistic aspect of the story.

That's what I think Houser means.

saul stein
  • saul stein

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

user posted image

the antagonist,and leader,is moe

ScorpDaMonk
  • ScorpDaMonk

Astral Projection

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

I think its Michael, hes already a Snitch or somethin being in the witness protection program from the jump, then he has the stress of his family on his shoulders who he can't even connect with and is also the one that tries to calm the situaton down when Trevor gets out of hand...I think hes just gonna f*ckin lose it tbh lol

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

I don't think anyone dies since they have there own activity so that means no 100%.

Darkshade12
  • Darkshade12

The Trooper.

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (Leo Colt @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 15:36)
I don't think he at all means that one of them is going to emerge "traitor", or whatever.

Rather, I think he's trying to explain how the interaction works in this game. Let's use GTA IV as an example. Across the three stories you're playing as different protagonists. They are all indirectly working against each other. Some of Niko's actions have adverse consequences on Johnny and Luis, and vice versa. Therefore, they are all enemies to each other. As for all intents and purposes they are in seperate games, we only have to worry about the protagonist of the story. The other characters float in and out and serve their roles as necessary.

But this time, you've got three characters that you can switch between, and carry out different activities. Those actions might directly effect the other characters. For example, you might complete some missions as Trevor, only to switch characters and discover that those missions you just did have caused major trouble for Michael, etc. In essence, you are creating your own problems for your protagonists to deal with. In that sense, you are playing the antagonist, as you are developing the antagonistic aspect of the story.

They wouldn't really be antagonists to each other if that's the case though.

junkpile
  • junkpile

Liberty City, it's over! Next Stop. Los Santos.

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (kasparlaks @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 10:09)
Yeah, it's either Trevor or Michael turning bad.
As far as I've seen/heard, Franklin is kind of a silent type.

Could be anyone I assume. There won't be "good" or "bad", just different points of views colliding. Look how many times Walter White and Jesse Pinkman in Breaking Bad collide, or Gus Fring (and Mike) vs Walter White. It's not necessarily like this "good vs bad". Just different points of view.

And if these are the choices in the end, hell, I'm looking forward to this.

Could be like this:

Michael has to sacrifice his family or one (or both) of his partners, Trevor and/or Franklin.
Maybe one of the latter will lose his friend over this feud, or just the greed for money corrupts their minds. I'm curious.

HoofingNinja
  • HoofingNinja

Ninja

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (Darkshade12 @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 16:13)
QUOTE (Leo Colt @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 15:36)

They wouldn't really be antagonists to each other if that's the case though.

Strange! Like I said, surely all three can't ride off in to the sunset at the end of the game?

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

One thing's for sure -
Two's company
Three's a crowd

man dragon
  • man dragon

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

I'll just say that I think the player will decide who the antagonist is. Obviously, a lot of people assume it will be Trevor, but as long as there are people that like Trevor more than Michael and Franklin, and there is a way to make Trevor win, then he won't be viewed as the antagonist by all. It's about explaining character motivations better.

Hypothetically, the game could come down to a situation where either Trevor or Franklin will go head-to-head and one of them will die. Depending on which character you like/play as more, one will be viewed as the antagonist while the other is viewed as the protagonist.

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Talented [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2012
    Most Helpful 2011
    Most Talented [Expression] 2011
    Most Helpful [Expression] 2011
    Best Member in a Group 2011
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2011
    Most Respected 2010
    Most Helpful 2010
    Most Talented [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [Visual Arts] 2010
    Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2010

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (simonp92 @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 10:33)
QUOTE (Narcis_speed6 @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 10:07)

I think Trevor is going to become the antagonist, he is wreckless and he is going to be excluded from a heist at some point for not following the plan.

You do realise that if we play as Trevor that would make Micheal and or Franklin the antagonist(s).

Picture it like this, Niko is Dimitri's Antagonist, Johnny is Billy's etc.

Wrong, you can't switch between the characters anytime you want while on mission, there are certain points where you can do that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users