Dan Houser on GTAV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
119 replies to this topic
Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 16:25)

Anyway... I am very interested in this whole concept about playing as the antagonist. I mean, it obviously has to be Trevor right? What if he ends up like the character Waingro from Heat? Those two characters are almost exactly alike.

I see a lot of Heat in the three main characters. But I think it might be like IV where choices in certain missions determine the outcome. Based on the GI preview, I'm thinking the "bad guy" (whoever that is) might have a shot at winning this time around.

GTA36362355
  • GTA36362355

moving before it's dead

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

What I can guess is there will be a set of personal missions for every character which will have to be completed for the story to progress. The missions which require two characters and/or three characters will be occasional and their frequency will increase as the story progresses. The campaign better be long. I really hope so.
I would love it if they implement something like this:
The personal missions require some decisions which go on to affect the lives of the other characters.

I think this will how they get together:

Trevor has been residing in Blaine County after returning from war.

Michael moves to Los Santos.

Due to some circumstances, all his money is gone along with the house and his relations are f*cked as well as his family leaves him.

Michael contacts Trevor as he is his long time friend.

Franklin is given the task to retrieve the money from Michael's unpaid car loan.

Franklin meets Michael.

These guys get together for missions in the mid of the game and before that there are only personal missions for each character. The FBI as rumoured plays a big part in this game and I won't be surpised if Michael turns our to be an undercover agent.
The mission described in the magazine was along these lines as well: FBI retrieving some person from CIA's interrogation.

I think we have a good and immersive plot here.

mirmihir
  • mirmihir

Jerichoholic

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=504969

MIND. BLOWN.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (mirmihir @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 18:25)
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=504969

MIND. BLOWN.

Yeah, it's pretty fake. Why don't you go to the thread that's actually about it instead of spamming this one?

DryJohnson45
  • DryJohnson45

Poet to the dumb

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (MikeMyth @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 04:22)
ď...you get to play the protagonist and antagonist in the sane story..Ē

Trevor goes crazy, maybe?

No micheal will most likely be the bad guy

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:50 PM Edited by GTA-King, 10 November 2012 - 06:52 PM.

I do agree V's story is going to be a very intriguing, complex one. 3 stories about the pursuit of the almighty dollar... I sense plot twists galore! The only thing that worries me though is if one of them dies. Let's say Michael dies. It would feel weird playing golf as Trevor. Or if Franklin dies... it will feel weird roaming the hood as Trevor, or Michael for that matter. If any character dies, so does the immersion of the area they inhabit. I'm leaning towards R* killing someone (or two) protagonists off, because it seems to be a trend with them lately. Although I'm sure killing protagonists off will add to the overall depth of the story, I just hope we have a choice who lives or dies. Also... I hope the killing is something to be expected, so that it can be stopped in order for us to save who we like. Think about the last mission in IV. Roman wants you to take the money, but he will die if you do. No curve balls like that again, R*!

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 18:50)
I do agree V's story is going to be a very intriguing, complex one. 3 stories about the pursuit of the almighty dollar... I sense plot twists galore! The only thing that worries me though is if one of them dies. Let's say Michael dies. It would feel weird playing golf as Trevor. Or if Franklin dies... it will feel weird roaming the hood as Trevor, or Michael for that matter. If any character dies, so does the immersion of the area they inhabit. I'm leaning towards R* killing someone (or two) protagonists off, because it seems to be a trend with them lately. Although I'm sure killing protagonists off with add to the overall depth of the story, I just hope we have a choice who lives or dies. Also... I hope the killing is something to be expected, so that it can be stopped in order for us to save who we like. Think about the last mission in IV. Roman wants you to the money, but he will die. No curve balls like that again, R*!

I agree man... like i said its too predictable to kill oneof them off and im hoping it doesnt happen.

The whole gta iv ending I saw coming though. I knew the opposite of what you choosed would happen.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

^ Well, I didn't. And it actually really pissed me off to be honest, as well as made me sad.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Yea dude its a bummer... fortunately for me i didnt care for IV's story so either ending meant nothing to me...

Actually thats not fortunate because i really wanted to like the story in IV just didnt appeal to me

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 18:55)
Yea dude its a bummer... fortunately for me i didnt care for IV's story so either ending meant nothing to me...

Actually thats not fortunate because i really wanted to like the story in IV just didnt appeal to me

Well, I developed a bond with Roman. I really thought he was a funny, interesting character. Having him dielike that, by a choice I thought would be beneficial, really tore me apart. I really get enveloped in R*'s stories (RDR had me sad for a week, but I understand why it had to end like that).

All I'm saying though is that I want to see the potential death of a protagonist coming in V, rather than being surprised like I was in IV Roman. Just be straight forward with us R*, that's all I ask. It will be hard enough choosing who we want to die, because obviously we are going to have each character built up.

I'm going to stop worrying about this now. I mean, there's a possibility all 3 will live by the end. If not, I'm sure R* will make it for the greater good of the story. turn.gif

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 19:06)

Well, I developed a bond with Roman. I really thought he was a funny, interesting character. Having him dielike that, by a choice I thought would be beneficial, really tore me apart. I really get enveloped in R*'s stories (RDR had me sad for a week, but I understand why it had to end like that).

All I'm saying though is that I want to see the potential death of a protagonist coming in V, rather than being surprised like I was in IV Roman. Just be straight forward with us R*, that's all I ask. It will be hard enough choosing who we want to die, because obviously we are going to have each character built up.

I'm going to stop worrying about this now. I mean, there's a possibility all 3 will live by the end. If not, I'm sure R* will make it for the greater good of the story. turn.gif

Yea man, I think it will actually be harder to choose who will die directly

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 19:12)

No! lol... that's not what I want! lol.gif

I want to be able to CONTROL who dies and who lives... if R* does go down that path.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 19:16)

I want to be able to CONTROL who dies and who lives... if R* does go down that path.

LOL thats what im saying man. They should do it that way cause it would be a tougher decision and also gravitate more responsibility

I hope they all live though

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 19:24)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 19:16)

LOL thats what im saying man. They should do it that way cause it would be a tougher decision and also gravitate more responsibility

I hope they all live though

Oh, when you said it may be harder to choose who dies directly, I took it as we will not know AHEAD of time who will die.

You see, I don't want that. That happened at the end of IV, and it really pissed me off. We need to know ahead of time.

GTA36362355
  • GTA36362355

moving before it's dead

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

All three of them have different set of skills. Killing a character means letting those skills go.

Edward-Is-A-Flunky45
  • Edward-Is-A-Flunky45

Frazy as Cruck

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

I guess that everyone's thinking that Trevor will be the antagonist at the end... But I think that that's what Rockstar wants you to think, It's like "Let's make it obvious to them, and then surprise them"

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (deepthroatgta6 @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 20:40)
All three of them have different set of skills. Killing a character means letting those skills go.

Exactly.

This is another reason why I am opposed to the thought of one of them dying.

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (Edward-Is-A-Flunky45 @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 14:51)
I guess that everyone's thinking that Trevor will be the antagonist at the end... But I think that that's what Rockstar wants you to think, It's like "Let's make it obvious to them, and then surprise them"

Mike seems more like it. After all, he is the one who snitched to the FIB and is in the witness protection program. I think Trevor will eventually be killed by Mike and then you play as Franklin and you have to take down Mike.

the utah dude
  • the utah dude

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 08:52)
Only on GTAForums do we have Breaking Bad Haters, haha, you guys are insane, what about the other side to this where Dan hasn't watched The Wire or Boardwalk Empire either, which are also two brilliant shows with huge followings.

Personally I just think certain people on this forum want to be hipsters, since Breaking Bad is known to be good now, they want to be all like "pfft, Breaking Bad, that's a crappy show".

It also brings me to another point, if Dan never watches Crime TV Shows, then what the hell with Sons of Anarchy, a bit of the stuff was seen in The Lost and Damned and one of the characters in TLAD had the same name as a big character on the show, and don't say it's just a common thing, CLAY isn't exactly an everyday name!

Of course...

But it's probably way less than your friends at gtagaming that ironicaly have some problem with black peoples wink.gif .

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (the utah dude @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 21:20)
But it's probably way less than your friends at gtagaming that ironicaly have some problem with black peoples wink.gif .

Where did you get that idea from? Just because most of us don't want another ghetto gangbanger character story?

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Big Homie

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

You guys are taking this too serious. The three protagonists are going to walk by the sunset at the end of the game.

donnie_danko
  • donnie_danko

Dankest

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

I just like how he admits to stealing a style of cinematography, but says nothing about how a lot of the plots are extremely close to the plots of other crime related movies. GTA III had the same plot as The Hunter (or Parker for you Jason Statham fans), Vice City paralleled the rise to power in Scarface. Influence and homage is one thing, but they can't say that they didn't borrow heavily from those sources.

I'm not trying to be a Houser hater here. Just pointing something out.

And yeah, the writing staff probably watches Breaking Bad.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Love For Sale

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

So what you get to play with a character for all this long so he can turn out to be the antagonist of the game? Nah i bet we'll see something like IV and EFLC, all three protagonists were good and bad at the same time.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (Fisciletti @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 22:10)
You guys are taking this too serious. The three protagonists are going to walk by the sunset at the end of the game.

Yep. What could happen is that the story will build to a climactic final armageddon battle against several antagonists' organizations, where it takes all the skills and all the weapons and all the upgrades that the three protags have earned throughout the story, and including switching between protags at just the right times, to persevere and win this final boss battle.

By the end of the massive battle, the protags have taken out all the goons, all the crooked NOOSE, FIB, and LSPD forces flanking them, taken out the antagonists' accountants and IT techs, and in the process they gain free and clear online access to all the hidden foreign bank accounts of the antagonist organizations, totalling about $300M.

Our three protags transfer all that money to three new offshore untraceable accounts and each lives happily ever after, with homes in the Vinewood Hills and other nice locations around the world. Score biggrin.gif

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (donnie_danko @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 22:37)
I just like how he admits to stealing a style of cinematography, but says nothing about how a lot of the plots are extremely close to the plots of other crime related movies. GTA III had the same plot as The Hunter (or Parker for you Jason Statham fans), Vice City paralleled the rise to power in Scarface. Influence and homage is one thing, but they can't say that they didn't borrow heavily from those sources.

I'm not trying to be a Houser hater here. Just pointing something out.

And yeah, the writing staff probably watches Breaking Bad.

Several related thoughts:

First, I liked this straightforward article -- it felt real, like we were really hearing Dan telling us stuff we want to know, rather than some marketing BS. If this is how they really develop their GTA games, I love the description of the process, and I hope they have fun the whole way through in making the game.

Like many others, I liked the Three Leaf Clover Mission because it was the closest thing to the fantastic Heat bank robbery scene. Director Michael Mann is excellent at "scenes" -- they are intense and paced fantastically.

As someone here on the GTAV forum said way back a few days after the GTAV Trailer in Nov 2011, they would love to do the Heat heist right, in the corresponding street in Los Santos, and really get fully immersed in it, in the game. But it doesn't necessarily mean that we want 10 heist missions; we just want to see that one Heat heist done right.

Clearly there is influence from the movies on GTA style and story, as you suggest, and it is also clear to me that the Housers really want to emulate movies in their video games, which can work fine to some extent, but I think the mixing of active and passive action is not a perfected form in video games.

I also think that sometimes the Housers get carried away with the idea that they are great Hollywood directors in their machinima realm (cf Max Payne 3) at the expense of player free choice and free will. Cinema style worked well in RDR because the old western world is so stylized anyway - RDR was a beautiful piece of art. And at one point, I think I saw an interview or sidebar where Rockstar even named the many classic western movies they used as inspriation for RDR.

Regarding the HBO shows that the Housers don't watch, hey stop ragging on the poor guys; they can't afford cable. Who can??

SaintsRow3
  • SaintsRow3

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:05 AM

Why is it always Dan that gets all attention? Is Sam even a part of Rockstar anymore? Or maybe he just dont do any interviews...

Kjax39
  • Kjax39

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:09 AM

God damnit I thought this was something new. Good job on the bump

nuer
  • nuer

• Members

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE (SaintsRow3 @ Friday, Aug 9 2013, 03:05)
Why is it always Dan that gets all attention? Is Sam even a part of Rockstar anymore? Or maybe he just dont do any interviews...

Sam is a CEO of R*.

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:42 AM

"Q. At this stage in the process, whatís left to do with Grand Theft Auto V?

A. We are editing, fixing, removing, replacing, adding, avidly. Itís the equivalent of, if you wrote a book, and you had two million spelling mistakes. And you had to do them by hand, in a language you didnít understand. But once itís working, you can sit there and watch the world go by. I still find that magical about them. You donít get that with anything else. The life might be fake, but itís still the closest weíve come to a living artwork. I think thatís the core appeal of them"

This was from November 2012, months before the delay. Imagine how much more polished it is by now...

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:57 AM

Yes this is old but...
the idea was three separate stories that you play in one game. The next bit was, letís not have the stories intersect once or twice but have them completely interwoven. It felt like it was going to be a real narrative strength: you get to play the protagonist and the antagonist in the same story.

Does anybody wonder if this has changed a bit? Seeing that all three of them hang out, it's hard to consider one an antagonist. Yes, somebody can turn on the group but it would have to be done fairly early in the story to feel right. Otherwise we'll be playing as three protags with lesser antagonists through the game with a short build up to the real antagonist's betrayal and climax.

Plus, how will this work if we can find each other in freeroam? Running across an antagonist outside of a mission would be strange.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users