More Bounce to The Ounce

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Breaking Bad is very enjoyable. By no means is it groundbreaking (although original) and the writing isn't as good as The Wire or The Sopranos. However, I'm only on the second season.

I really think Houser could learn something from The Wire though. What works in film and TV and how storylines in games can comparatively work with stroylines in gaming.

Also, I was hoping if Housers want to make contempory games set in comtemporary times, you'd think they'd keep up to date with some of the best written shows in the world.

elgofo?
  • elgofo?

Frog leg eater

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 14:41)
Breaking Bad is very enjoyable. By no means is it groundbreaking (although original) and the writing isn't as good as The Wire or The Sopranos. However, I'm only on the second season.

I really think Houser could learn something from The Wire though. What works in film and TV and how storylines in games can comparatively work with stroylines in gaming.

Also, I was hoping if Housers want to make contempory games set in comtemporary times, you'd think they'd keep up to date with some of the best written shows in the world.

maybe Dan isn't keeping up to date with things like The Wire, Sopranos or Breaking bad, but the stories he tells share common tropes with those and although he and his brother write the stories, they are far from alone to do it, and other writers might watch those shows...

just compare Phil Bell in IV with Tony S : alderney/new jersey mobster, not in the front lines with "the game" when he can... Phil is obviously influenced by Tony

the samed comparison between Playboy X and Stringer Bell can be made...

to me, the Housers are tellers of the main stories, the details writing is made by other guys

THEBIGZED
  • THEBIGZED

For an annoying dick, you really are an annoying dick.

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 05:20)
QUOTE (deffpony @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 04:31)
Can't believe he managed to not watch breaking bad

Respect + for Dan Houser not ever watching Breaking Bad. It's just another rubbish old American TV show that is over sensationalized. I'm sick of people trying to throw it in my face like it's this groundbreaking new invention that they've never heard of a Film/TV show that is actually "half" decent.

Protagonist becoming antagonist? Bitch, please... Has nobody heard of a little guy you might know, his name is Alfred Hitchcock. He experimented with things like false protagonists in Psycho, and this same idea (protagonist to antagonist) in Vertigo.

So Breaking Bad's premise is about 50 years old...

What is this I don't even... You're entitled to your opinion, sure, but it's not just the premise that makes it one of the greatest TV shows of all time. It's everything surrounding it. The acting, action, incredible tension and inspiring cinematography and directing. So yeah, bitch please.. Just look at the reviews:

http://www.metacriti...ng-bad/season-5

fangbutt
  • fangbutt

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (elgofo? @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 14:07)
QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 14:41)

maybe Dan isn't keeping up to date with things like The Wire, Sopranos or Breaking bad, but the stories he tells share common tropes with those and although he and his brother write the stories, they are far from alone to do it, and other writers might watch those shows...

just compare Phil Bell in IV with Tony S : alderney/new jersey mobster, not in the front lines with "the game" when he can... Phil is obviously influenced by Tony

the samed comparison between Playboy X and Stringer Bell can be made...

to me, the Housers are tellers of the main stories, the details writing is made by other guys

My guess is that whoever writes the stories/characters with Dan are able to include references to these shows, since Dan doesn't even know that they are references.

scarface910
  • scarface910

I don't want a f*cking title

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

>Dan Houser wants to stimulate you

Wow adriann. just wow orly.gif

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 04:28)
Yea I'm pretty certain that the three characters will end up going in opposing directions and you will be left to choose who to side with

This is my guess too. This might actually result in a decent plot twist.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Snake Without a Tongue @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 15:30)
Yea I'm pretty certain that the three characters will end up going in opposing directions and you will be left to choose who to side with

This is my guess too. This might actually result in a decent plot twist.

I hope so

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:49 PM Edited by GTA-King, 10 November 2012 - 03:52 PM.

QUOTE (MikeMyth @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 04:22)
...you get to play the protagonist and antagonist in the saem story..

Trevor goes crazy, maybe?

Yeah, this just furthers my suspicions that one protagonist is going to kill the other at some point in the story.

I don't want this to happen. If it does, I hope we have a choice who dies.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Only on GTAForums do we have Breaking Bad Haters, haha, you guys are insane, what about the other side to this where Dan hasn't watched The Wire or Boardwalk Empire either, which are also two brilliant shows with huge followings.

Personally I just think certain people on this forum want to be hipsters, since Breaking Bad is known to be good now, they want to be all like "pfft, Breaking Bad, that's a crappy show".

It also brings me to another point, if Dan never watches Crime TV Shows, then what the hell with Sons of Anarchy, a bit of the stuff was seen in The Lost and Damned and one of the characters in TLAD had the same name as a big character on the show, and don't say it's just a common thing, CLAY isn't exactly an everyday name!

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 15:52)
Only on GTAForums do we have Breaking Bad Haters, haha, you guys are insane, what about the other side to this where Dan hasn't watched The Wire or Boardwalk Empire either, which are also two brilliant shows with huge followings.

Personally I just think certain people on this forum want to be hipsters, since Breaking Bad is known to be good now, they want to be all like "pfft, Breaking Bad, that's a crappy show".

It also brings me to another point, if Dan never watches Crime TV Shows, then what the hell with Sons of Anarchy, a bit of the stuff was seen in The Lost and Damned and one of the characters in TLAD had the same name as a big character on the show, and don't say it's just a common thing, CLAY isn't exactly an everyday name!

People are entitled to their opinions. It's not specific to GTAF.

And just becuase Dan Houser doesn't watch those shows doesn't mean his other writers don't, or the team in general. I'm pretty sure a lot of themes are taken from popular crime shows and movies, and when they're brainstorming ideas I'm sure those shows have an influence on their decisions. Dan doesn't have to watch it, he probaly prefers knowing he isn't 'stealing' ideas himself.

jogy
  • jogy

GTAF Alumni

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

Ash has a point icon14.gif

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

I agree man. Some people say its not that good and they haven't even seen it. They are too cool for school.

I'm actually impressed and glad that Dan doesn't watch these shows. It's smart because his ideas wont be subliminally inspired by them. I admire that.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:25 PM Edited by GTA-King, 10 November 2012 - 04:29 PM.

If you don't like Breaking Bad, then that's fine. Different strokes for different folks and all. But you are really doing a disservice to yourself if you don't at least give it a try. That's all I have to say about that matter.

Anyway... I am very interested in this whole concept about playing as the antagonist. I mean, it obviously has to be Trevor right? What if he ends up like the character Waingro from Heat? Those two characters are almost exactly alike.

user posted image

user posted image

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:32 PM Edited by Gtaghost22, 10 November 2012 - 04:37 PM.

QUOTE (Edward-Is-A-Flunky45 @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 05:37)
Why do i think that every Dan Houser interview is worth the read... I mean... There's something that makes him different than the other guys who develops such great franchises... I like when he talks about other things than video game...

Yeah, i really enjoy reading and watching his interviews, he always has some pretty interesting stuff to say, i love that guy.
QUOTE (Adriaan @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 08:09)
How do you guys like my article title? tounge.gif
http://www.gtav.net/...o-stimulate-you

Awesome. biggrin.gif

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

I am so f*cking disappointed in what I am reading. Not heavily influenced by crime movies or shows? You mean the ones that have won multiple Oscars and are the most popular TV shows in the world right now? What is this sh*t about trying to capture the contemporary life. I don't buy GTA to play golf and do yoga. I play it so I can build an empire, be a force to be reckoned with and call the shots and be a boss. I can't believe I'm still going to buy this PGA Tour golf simulator with cars.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Cyfa @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 16:33)
Rant.

Stop crying.
If it's a "sh*tty golf simulator witch cars" as you say, then why are you here? Gtaforums is for hardcore GTA fans, not for pessimistic c*nts like you, don't like what you're hearing about V? don't buy it, stop whining.

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (Gtaghost22 @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 10:41)
QUOTE (Cyfa @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 16:33)
Rant.

Stop crying.
If it's a "sh*tty golf simulator witch cars" as you say, then why are you here? Gtaforums is for hardcore GTA fans, not for pessimistic c*nts like you, don't like what you're hearing about V? don't buy it, stop whining.

Can't take criticism over your precious game? You sound like you're on the verge of tears. Rockstar even says it's not heavily influenced by crime inspirations, so how is this even going to compare to past GTA games?

GTA36362355
  • GTA36362355

moving before it's dead

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (Cyfa @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 11:33)
I am so f*cking disappointed in what I am reading. Not heavily influenced by crime movies or shows? You mean the ones that have won multiple Oscars and are the most popular TV shows in the world right now? What is this sh*t about trying to capture the contemporary life. I don't buy GTA to play golf and do yoga. I play it so I can build an empire, be a force to be reckoned with and call the shots and be a boss. I can't believe I'm still going to buy this PGA Tour golf simulator with cars.

If this is what you conclude, you're surely gonna stay disappointed. Your last option is to wait for the next GTA game. What are you gonna do till then? I suggest this.

He doesn't watch those shows because he doesn't want his work to get influenced. Too simple to understand.

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (deepthroatgta6 @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 10:47)
QUOTE (Cyfa @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 11:33)

If this is what you conclude, you're surely gonna stay disappointed. Your last option is to wait for the next GTA game. What are you gonna do till then? I suggest this.

He doesn't watch those shows because he doesn't want his work to get influenced. Too simple to understand.

I'm not saying Saints Row is better. But you know what I can do in Saints Row? I can create a gang, customize them, create my own story, buy businesses, buy safehouses and upgrade them into towers, I can drug traffic, be a crime leader. I don't understand why Rockstar continues to try and do this hipster route for the most hyped game on the planet right now. It's like they didn't listen to the community at all. All we asked for: 'Real economy we can contribute too, like safehouses and businesses, maybe deal drugs' but no mention of that at all. It's like they sacrificed every mini game/feature we wanted just so they could focus on creating a contemporary LA with wannabe movie stars.

GTA36362355
  • GTA36362355

moving before it's dead

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Its not like they will change it now. That's why I said that your last option is to wait for another GTA game and hope that they make it as per your desires. What's the use of crying over spilled milk? You're getting all you want in another game which I suggested. The ultimate goal of a person is to be happy. Go be happy, brother. Set yourself free from this painful disappointment.

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (deepthroatgta6 @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 10:58)
Its not like they will change it now. That's why I said that your last option is to wait for another GTA game and hope that they make it as per your desires. What's the use of crying over spilled milk? You're getting all you want in another game which I suggested. The ultimate goal of a person is to be happy. Go be happy, brother. Set yourself free from this painful disappointment.

True. I guess I just built myself that this was going to be the best Rockstar game ever, it's unfortunate that they choose to try and make it a Sims game rather than a crime game. Grand Golf Tour is what it should be renamed too.

GTA36362355
  • GTA36362355

moving before it's dead

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (Cyfa @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 12:05)

True. I guess I just built myself that this was going to be the best Rockstar game ever, it's unfortunate that they choose to try and make it a Sims game rather than a crime game. Grand Golf Tour is what it should be renamed too.

I always consider my opinion to be the right one. Guess, we all are the same. wink.gif
This is going to be the best GTA game till date. I'm happy that I'll enjoy it.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (Cyfa @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 17:05)

You will still buy it. icon14.gif

Gtalover49
  • Gtalover49

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

I'm hoping that's how the story will end..if it happens I gotta go with Franklin cool.gif

BullworthAcademy
  • BullworthAcademy

Can't wait for Red Dead Redemption 2!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Cyfa @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 18:05)

What?
Golf is a 5 minute side-mission dozingoff.gif

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (Gtalover49 @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 17:16)

I'm hoping that's how the story will end..if it happens I gotta go with Franklin cool.gif

I'm actually hoping that this doesn't happen for two reason

1. It is too predictable
2. It kills the replay ability. When I play the second time through I'm going to hate the protagonist that turns bad and probably be less compelled to play as him.

I'm really hoping that each character comes to a cross road where a decision has to be made, and while someone might end up getting f*cked over no one will die.

Kind of like Jessy Pinkman in Breaking Bad. If him and mr. White were two protagonists there would be so many crossroads. save Jessie's druggy girlfriend?? Poison Jessie's gf's kid, trust mr white and turn on Gus, lend mr white the money for the magnet

Bb is obviously more one sides to Walter but you see what I mean

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

The story is about money... so I can see some of the protagonists becoming greedy and f*cking over eachother.

I really don't want any of them to die, because that would take out the immersion of the areas they inhabit. But... I trust R*'s judgement. I just want to be able to free roam as Trevor at the end and cause havoc.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 17:34)
The story is about money... so I can see some of the protagonists becoming greedy f*cking over eachother.

I really don't want any of them to die, because that would take out the immersion of the areas they inhabit. But... I trust R*'s judgement. I just want to be able to free roam as Trevor at the end and cause havoc.

Yea dude I am surprisingly drawn to Trevor

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:38 PM Edited by GTA-King, 10 November 2012 - 05:53 PM.

QUOTE (deffpony @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 17:34)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 17:34)
The story is about money... so I can see some of the protagonists becoming greedy f*cking over eachother.

Yea dude I am surprisingly drawn to Trevor

I mean, Michael seems interesting... but Trevor came out of left field... and I am really interested in his character more now.

If R* does go down the path of killing one (or two) of them off, then all I ask for is to have a choice as to who they will be. Although, I suppose that choice will be hard once they are built up.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 15:49)
QUOTE (MikeMyth @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 04:22)
...you get to play the protagonist and antagonist in the saem story..

Trevor goes crazy, maybe?

Yeah, this just furthers my suspicions that one protagonist is going to kill the other at some point in the story.

I don't want this to happen. If it does, I hope we have a choice who dies.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly -- 3-way Mexican standoff at the end...

Luckily Dan Houser still knows a lot of movies, even though he doesn't watch TV colgate.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users