Dan Houser on GTAV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
119 replies to this topic
mirmihir
  • mirmihir

Jerichoholic

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:08 AM

Dan Houser in a Q&A with NYTimes about GTA V.

http://www.nytimes.c...eft-auto-v.html

Tori_95
  • Tori_95

PHD Guy

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

thats cool tounge.gif

haha i love this:

¨Q. At this stage in the process, what’s left to do with Grand Theft Auto V?

A. We are editing, fixing, removing, replacing, adding, avidly. It’s the equivalent of, if you wrote a book, and you had two million spelling mistakes. ¨

Delanto
  • Delanto

That's my line ya' dumb twit!

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (Tori_95 @ Friday, Nov 9 2012, 21:15)
thats cool tounge.gif

haha i love this:

¨Q. At this stage in the process, what’s left to do with Grand Theft Auto V?

A. We are editing, fixing, removing, replacing, adding, avidly. It’s the equivalent of, if you wrote a book, and you had two million spelling mistakes. ¨

I like that comparison as well, glad to hear they are working hard on it!

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

Good read. i just love this guy.

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

I'm lost at sea, don't bother me.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

“...you get to play the protagonist and antagonist in the sane story..”

Trevor goes crazy, maybe?

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

I wish he would've talked more about R* North, but ach well.

mirmihir
  • mirmihir

Jerichoholic

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE (MikeMyth @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 04:22)

That's what bugged me too. It was in the GI article as well.

Tori_95
  • Tori_95

PHD Guy

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

SPOILER, TRY SPOILER YOU IDIOT

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (Tori_95 @ Friday, Nov 9 2012, 23:24)

YEAH SPOILER THAT THING WAS WRITTEN IN EVERY PREVIEW OF GTA5 TO COME OUT SO FAR.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (Zee @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 04:26)
QUOTE (Tori_95 @ Friday, Nov 9 2012, 23:24)

YEAH SPOILER THAT THING WAS WRITTEN IN EVERY PREVIEW OF GTA5 TO COME OUT SO FAR.

I think it's pretty predictable that they'd have at least 1 character turn against the others. It's no spoiler at all.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:28 AM

Yea I'm pretty certain that the three characters will end up going in opposing directions and you will be left to choose who to side with

Delanto
  • Delanto

That's my line ya' dumb twit!

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Friday, Nov 9 2012, 21:28)
Yea I'm pretty certain that the three characters will end up going in opposing directions and you will be left to choose who to side with

I don't think they will go that way, I think the characters will not be going against one another and end up killing each other, but maybe their friends and make a whole web of hatred, because R* did say they were bringing back options to kill or let someone live from IV but more numerous.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:31 AM

Can't believe he managed to not watch breaking bad

GTA36362355
  • GTA36362355

moving before it's dead

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:39 AM Edited by deepthroatgta6, 10 November 2012 - 04:46 AM.

Cool! smile.gif
Just at the conceptual level, the idea was three separate stories that you play in one game. The next bit was, let’s not have the stories intersect once or twice but have them completely interwoven. It felt like it was going to be a real narrative strength: you get to play the protagonist and the antagonist in the same story.

"you get to play the protagonist and the antagonist in the same story."

I think, what we had in IV will be repeated albeit with more complexity and outcomes. DECISIONS!

Dotseoem
  • Dotseoem

Member of DrkHWF.

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

Eh. dozingoff.gif

I think by "antagonist" he means that they'll be arguing alot.

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

They don't watch Breaking Bad.

I'm disappointed.

latigreblue
  • latigreblue

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

Why would any news about Saints Row make me happy? I don't play that - always has been, always will be a cheap imitation of my favorite video game.

i am a girl on the internet
  • i am a girl on the internet

Here since 2003

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:57 AM

Q. The closest thing to Grand Theft Auto I can think of that someone is doing in a different medium is the work of David Simon, who has tried to capture cities, in “The Wire” but even more so in “Treme.” It’s quite different, but TV is similar in the sense that people spend 30, 40 hours with a show.

A. I haven’t seen “Treme.” I never even saw “The Wire.” One of my weird disciplines is that I don’t really watch a lot of those shows, if they relate to what we do. I only watched a tiny bit of “The Sopranos.” No “Boardwalk Empire.” No “Breaking Bad.” Wherever it’s too close to crime, gangster, underbelly fiction, and it’s supercontemporary, I decided, for professional reasons, I have to avoid it.

Thank God.

Edward-Is-A-Flunky45
  • Edward-Is-A-Flunky45

Frazy as Cruck

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE (i am a girl on the internet @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 04:57)
Q. The closest thing to Grand Theft Auto I can think of that someone is doing in a different medium is the work of David Simon, who has tried to capture cities, in “The Wire” but even more so in “Treme.” It’s quite different, but TV is similar in the sense that people spend 30, 40 hours with a show.

A. I haven’t seen “Treme.” I never even saw “The Wire.” One of my weird disciplines is that I don’t really watch a lot of those shows, if they relate to what we do. I only watched a tiny bit of “The Sopranos.” No “Boardwalk Empire.” No “Breaking Bad.” Wherever it’s too close to crime, gangster, underbelly fiction, and it’s supercontemporary, I decided, for professional reasons, I have to avoid it.

Thank God.

Wow Dan Houser is such a different guy haha.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:20 AM Edited by LotusRIP, 10 November 2012 - 05:23 AM.

QUOTE (deffpony @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 04:31)

Respect + for Dan Houser not ever watching Breaking Bad. It's just another rubbish old American TV show that is over sensationalized. I'm sick of people trying to throw it in my face like it's this groundbreaking new invention that they've never heard of a Film/TV show that is actually "half" decent.

Protagonist becoming antagonist? Bitch, please... Has nobody heard of a little guy you might know, his name is Alfred Hitchcock. He experimented with things like false protagonists in Psycho, and this same idea (protagonist to antagonist) in Vertigo.

So Breaking Bad's premise is about 50 years old...

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Friday, Nov 9 2012, 23:20)

Respect + for Dan Houser not ever watching Breaking Bad. It's just another rubbish old American TV show that is over sensationalized. I'm sick of people trying to throw it in my face like it's this groundbreaking new invention that they've never heard of a Film/TV show that is actually "half" decent.

Protagonist becoming antogonist? Bitch, please... Has nobody heard of a little guy you might know, his name is Alfred Hitchcock. He made a little movie you might have heard of called " Psycho " which is a false protagonist storyline for those who know it for more than the shower scene.

You're so negative.

GTA36362355
  • GTA36362355

moving before it's dead

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

It’s a world brought to life, in which you are able to exist and explore and have the benefits of some kind of narrative pull-through, a world that exists and doesn’t exist at the same time. We’ve made something that sort of is Los Angeles and sort of isn’t. And that’s deliberate, that it isn’t an exact replication of it.

We wanted this post-crash feeling, because it works thematically in this game about bank robbers. And that seems like it’s going to endure through the next year.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE (Cyfa @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 05:23)

Protagonist becoming antogonist? Bitch, please... Has nobody heard of a little guy you might know, his name is Alfred Hitchcock. He made a little movie you might have heard of called " Psycho " which is a false protagonist storyline for those who know it for more than the shower scene.

You're so negative.

Lotus we were cool before that statement... But no more

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 05:33)

You're so negative.

Just pointing out that Breaking Bad isn't entirely original, so it's not like anybody's missing out by not watching it. Dan Houser probably knows this.

Edward-Is-A-Flunky45
  • Edward-Is-A-Flunky45

Frazy as Cruck

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

Why do i think that every Dan Houser interview is worth the read... I mean... There's something that makes him different than the other guys who develops such great franchises... I like when he talks about other things than video game...

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 05:34)
QUOTE (deffpony @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 05:33)

You're so negative.

Just pointing out that Breaking Bad isn't entirely original, so it's not like anybody's missing out by not watching it. Dan Houser probably knows this.

Originality doesn't always mean success.

Breaking bad is awesome because of its character development. It is the best show on television hands down.

Some people won't watch it just to be against the grain and they r just spiting themselves. And to throw the American card is a bitch move. Sorry it's not a uk show but quality is quality

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

Vincere non è importante, ma è l'unica cosa che conta

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 15:20)

Protagonist becoming antagonist? Bitch, please... Has nobody heard of a little guy you might know, his name is Alfred Hitchcock. He experimented with things like false protagonists in Psycho, and this same idea (protagonist to antagonist) in Vertigo.

icon14.gif Those shows are average, but they've never seen anything half decent before so they're all the 2nd coming of Jesus.

Watch some Seinfeld FFS.

GreatestEver23
  • GreatestEver23

So you think you can tell, heaven from hell?

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

I thought god struck you dead the second you speak bad about Breaking Bad?

florisinfernus
  • florisinfernus

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (JuventusFC @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 07:41)
QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 15:20)

icon14.gif Those shows are average, but they've never seen anything half decent before so they're all the 2nd coming of Jesus.

Watch some Seinfeld FFS.

Seinfeld is a comedy show.. So your comparison is invalid.

JuventusFC
  • JuventusFC

Vincere non è importante, ma è l'unica cosa che conta

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE (florisinfernus @ Saturday, Nov 10 2012, 15:51)
Seinfeld is a show.. So your comparison is valid.

icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users