Photo

The Forum Musicians' Commune

731 replies to this topic
Edmachine
  • Edmachine

Puusnofl

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • GTA Series Awards - Best Contribution 2009.
    Excellent GTAForums Contributor (carried over from misc. awards).

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

I'll give you guys some links.
http://looperman.com/
Acapellas, samples, loops and even full tracks (for you to sing over, I suppose). Lots of good stuff, check it out.

http://remixcomps.com/
A list of remix competitions which you can enter (or not, depending on the contest's rules). Find something you could remix and just go for it. Worst case scenario, you win nothing and that's it.

http://www.ourstage.com/
Monthly song competitions. Each winner in a genre gets $100, a video contest for $1000 and a grand prize winner across all genres gets $5000. Each month. I entered an edited version of my 64 and am currently 144th.

http://www.dskmusic.com/blog/
A few VSTs to make sounds with. They're good, but just tested them, took a bit to load up and take some memory...

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

Good to see the topic pinned & alive, let's keep it at that icon14.gif
Yo games', can you add my new(est) beat up there:

CODE
[tr][td]c-heat[/td][td][URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQR3SeIji0]Dark Rap Beat[/URL][/td][td]Rap[/td][td]6/9/2010[/td][/tr]

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

I'm Just Sittin' Here...

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for putting those forward Edmachine. As they say, every little helps. I may put some of those in the Source table. Speaking of which, I have updated that and I have also started and almost finished the Guide I promised.

Feel free to critique and contribute towards it. I moved a few things around also, and I think it the layout now makes more sense. I hope you guys like the update.

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Here are a few pages I atleast find useful:

FutureProducers.com - a good forum including songs for sampling, tips from pros etc.
Warbeats - good source for samples, soundfonts etc sounds to produce with.

The Guru
  • The Guru

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None
  • Picture of the Year 2010

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:56 PM

Those links are really useful Cheat & Edmachine. Thanks.

I'm going to try and make up something tonight since I'm really bored.

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

I'm Just Sittin' Here...

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the submissions Cheat. Once I get into sampling I will definitely check those out. I always wonder how some producers get such great samples. Do they have a great back-catalogue of music, or some really good resources? turn.gif

Anyway, updated the front page with new graphics.

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

@Guru no prob.
@games' the pics are definetly cool, I do think I liked them better centered though, but the right-side-thing is a creative idea though.

As for sampling, I myself find about half of my samples from blogs & sites like FP, get 25% from just listening to music and the rest 25% come from e-digging.
Digging in general means you go to record stores, flea markets or basically anywhere where they sell music, dig the vinyl boxes or CD piles for something that sounds good, e-diggin basically is doing the same on YouTube or where ever you find your music from, and for me, I'm not too familiar with turntables, I don't use that ol' gear they used in the 80s-90s, I'm more into that 21st century stuff.

Also, I listen to music from rap to rock, reggae to jazz and so on, I'm a big fan of 40s-80s jazz and soul, fusion jazz, you get the point, so I just listen to these rare records and flipsides and always try to buy the oldest CD's the artists have made and I get a lot of stuff there.

DanManUtd
  • DanManUtd

Doesn't support United anymore

• Members

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

Saw to it today that I made a proper Youtube account and started finishing and uploading some of my songs.

Update:

CODE
[tr][td]DanManUtd[/td][td]PyroManiac[/td][td]Producing[/td][td]Varied[/td][td][URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/PyromaniacMusic#p/a]Youtube[/URL][/td][/tr]

CODE
[tr][td]PyroManiac[/td][td]Singular Track[/td][td][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JHw8XpHwaw]Velvet Neon[/url][/td][td]Alternative Dubstep?[/td][td]16/08/2010[/td][/tr]

CODE
[tr][td]PyroManiac[/td][td]Singular Track[/td][td][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slU86H9ChCw]Jamming[/url][/td][td]Alternative Dubstep?[/td][td]16/08/2010[/td][/tr]

I seem to have issues with getting the sound quality from my computer to Youtube the same (as in its not as good on youtube), is there a way to fix this?

radltzx
  • radltzx

Oh wait

• Members

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (DanManUtd @ Aug 16 2010, 21:47)
I seem to have issues with getting the sound quality from my computer to Youtube the same (as in its not as good on youtube), is there a way to fix this?

I'd like to know that too.

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

I'm Just Sittin' Here...

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

@Dan: What software are you using and what format are rendering your videos with?
@Cheat: Thanks for the tips man. I actually came across Moby - Flower in one of my playlists, and I reckon sampling the drums from that could lead to a good result. Maybe the "Sally Up, Bring Sally Down" vocals too. I'm always coming up with beat ideas in my head, with and without samples, hopefully College will give me the skill-sets to produce some of them.

Example of a beat I have stuck in my head. Would be having the word Diamonds reoccurring three times, and some sort of 'yeah', but take the pitch up. Something in the vain of the College Dropout sound, I reckon this oculd be good for the 'Diamond' part: Diamonds Are Forever. I think I've just got to get in the process, just continue to broaden my listening habits, and I'm sure some good samples will come to me.

radltzx
  • radltzx

Oh wait

• Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

Just made this:

Tell me what you think, any kind of feedback's much appreciated. icon14.gif

Oh and yeah:

CODE
[tr][td]radltzx[/td][td]Singular Track[/td][td]url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO7MWSYtyGY[/td][td]Electro?[/td][td]August 17th, 2010[/td][/tr]

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

Puusnofl

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:16 PM

@radltzx: Damn, dude, that's really, really good! I really like it. Sounds very well done. It sounds professional, even. My stuff never does that. sad.gif

radltzx
  • radltzx

Oh wait

• Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Edmachine @ Aug 17 2010, 13:16)
@radltzx: Damn, dude, that's really, really good! I really like it. Sounds very well done. It sounds professional, even. My stuff never does that. sad.gif

Hey thanks, man, glad you liked it. smile.gif It lacks a good mastering, though, I've only done whatever's possible in Reason.. Oh and what are you talkin about, man, some of your stuff is pretty good, too. icon14.gif Not really my style, though, but it's good. turn.gif

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

@gamesguru ahh... Gone In 60 Seconds.. Such an awesome intro track!
About Diamonds, didn't get your point 100%ly, but didn't Kanye kinda already do that?
And as we speak, I think the instrumental of Diamonds From Sierra Leone is my all-time favorite, that sh*t is sick and the sampling is pretty genious.

I always keep some sort of pieces of paper with me, I may hear these random songs in f.e stores or just at the street, radio or whatever, I have to write them up and sometimes they even end as something different.

Another thing: I wanna upgrade my current fields, I use a sharing site called DivShare to upload most of my 20-minute loop beats, the ones not worth a YouTube/MySpace upload, which is missing from the current fields, so here it is:

CODE

[tr]
[td]Cheat[/td]
[td]c-heat[/td]
[td]Production[/td]
[td]Hip-Hop /Rn'B[/td]
[td][URL=http://www.myspace.com/cheatgangsta]MySpace[/URL]
[URL=http://www.twitter.com/cheatplayer]Twitter[/URL]
[URL=http://www.divshare.com/playlist/758304-df9]DivShare[/URL][/td]
[/tr]

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

I'm Just Sittin' Here...

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (Cheat @ Aug 17 2010, 15:44)
About Diamonds, didn't get your point 100%ly, but didn't Kanye kinda already do that?

I was just using that track as an example. He samples the vocals as "Diamonds Are Forever, Forever Forever/Diamonds Are Forever, Forever Forever/". Which is different to what I was saying "Diamonds, Diamonds, Diamonds, Yeah (?)". Plus he didn't alter the pitch (that much) on the vocals.

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

Oh yeah, I got your point now.
Thanks for adding my Div. to my fields, I'll try to be more active with it now tounge2.gif

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

Puusnofl

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (radltzx @ Aug 17 2010, 17:23)
QUOTE (Edmachine @ Aug 17 2010, 13:16)

Hey thanks, man, glad you liked it. smile.gif It lacks a good mastering, though, I've only done whatever's possible in Reason.. Oh and what are you talkin about, man, some of your stuff is pretty good, too. icon14.gif Not really my style, though, but it's good. turn.gif

Thanks smile.gif . The melody and drums, and whatnot may sound good, but the sound itself isn't as good. It always sounds... bland and amateur-ish.

Guys. I have an idea. How about we make a double, triple, mega, quadruple, super, duper, awesome, kick-ass, huge, gigantic collab and make a song?

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

Good idea, a damn good one! If it happens, I'm up!
It sounds complicated, but gamesguru and meta187 did it, so why couldn't it work? If it happen's, I'm most definetly in.

Ats.
  • Ats.

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

I'm most definitely in if possible.

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

Puusnofl

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

If we do this, what genre?

Also, I think we should each pick a task. That is, not work one the same thing. For example, I'd do the drums (I don't like making melodies that much), someone would do the chords, one a lead instrument, one for vocals, etc.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

I'll take lead guitar if you want, or are we going to do our own sections whatever they may be?

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

Puusnofl

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

I'd wait for more people to join in before we start giving roles, you know wink.gif . Got to wait for gamesguru and others to check in. I have terrible leadership skills, I don't want to be the main guy.

Also, a name. It wouldn't sound too good if the title was something like "Cheat ft. Edmachine, gamesguru, Ats., rhyn, ... - Title". And "The GTAF Crew" sounds lame, but that's the best I can come up with. tounge.gif

Flitskikker
  • Flitskikker

The Forums Frog

• Feroci
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

Sounds fun. When it's editing time, I could add some effects or help with some synths/melodies.
I can create the Radio Edit for it, too.

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

I'm Just Sittin' Here...

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:22 PM

Sounds like a good idea.

Got to wait for gamesguru

However, I would only be able to provide rap vocals, as I know nothing about producing/composing yet. That's if you was talking about vocals as opposed to contributing to the instrumental.

If I was to contribute vocals, I couldn't guarantee anything as I have to spend money to go into the studio to record as well as spending two hours just to get there (plus I'm going away for a week on the 6th, then I've got College sigh.gif ). If I was to do that, then it might be at a later date. Have two versions maybe, one with vocals on it by various people if possible, and one without.

Right now, I think just making a beat is good enough. Maybe sample an A Capella something for vocals?

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

Puusnofl

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

Does it *have* to be rap? It's just that I don't listen to rap and wouldn't know what sort of a beat would fit well. But that's what happens when most producers on GTAF make rap, hehe. I could do well for something like DnB, perhaps. Maybe DnB rap? tounge.gif You know, create something original, not necessarily in the norm. 'guru, I think you'd be the best for the leader of the project, since you can't produce anything, you can listen to stuff and give opinions. Or something.

Do we need a better place to discuss this? Like, IRC or a small forum?

Ats.
  • Ats.

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (Edmachine @ Aug 17 2010, 22:36)
Do we need a better place to discuss this? Like, IRC or a small forum?

Yea we should talk about who's doing what in IRC or MSN perhaps?

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

Puusnofl

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

Okay, I made an IRC channel @ irc://irc.gtanet.com/gtafcollab
If you don't have an IRC client, use this: http://www.gtanet.com/chat/ Pick any channel and write "/join gtafcollab" (without the quotes, of course) (you can leave the previous channel if you want).

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

I'm Just Sittin' Here...

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

You know rap vocals don't have to be over a Hip-Hop beat? It could be as simple as a bridge. sly.gif

I don't think there needs to necessarily be a leader, as long as we get a group of people interested, we can all decide who's doing what. Seeing as I don't know much about producing, I don't know who would do what first, you guys would have to sort that out. I guess PMing users would be a good idea, like once we have got a group of people. I'm busy with my site, but I can definitely share my opinion on your guys work, well everyone here can really.

DanManUtd
  • DanManUtd

Doesn't support United anymore

• Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

@guru:

I'm using Magix Music maker. I turn the compilation into an mp3 then put it in Windows movie maker to make it into a .wmv format.

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

I'm Just Sittin' Here...

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

I'm not familiar with Magix Music Maker, but have you tried different formats like WMA? See what kpbs your saving it as also when exporting. As for Windows Movie Maker, try publishing as Windows Media DVD or Windows Media HD 1080p and see if that remedies your problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users