Photo

The Forum Musicians' Commune

665 replies to this topic
Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:41 PM Edited by Marwin Moody, 25 February 2014 - 11:01 PM.

I was bored and found a recorder (flute) in my toolbox, oddly enough. decided to try to learn to play something, and recorded a quick transposed version of Wes Montgomery's "Road Song" https://soundcloud.c...-play-the-flute

I can't fathom how someone manages to make the instrument sound nice

e: seems I only uploaded the first verse

e2: After removing all but the contrabass and flute tracks, it sounded much better. I believe it sounds so amateuresque because there seems to be an issue with tuning (maybe the flute is 442hz?)

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

oh cool.  How did I ever miss this topic?  I will share some of my noise shortly and add my info to the db. 

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

Ats.
  • Ats.

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

Loving the Kavinsky vibe in the beginning of the track! Nice stuff as always. The only thing that kind of annoyed me was the snare at some places, but that's a matter of preference.

• Piperka likes this

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:38 PM Edited by Marwin Moody, 17 March 2014 - 11:15 AM.

New project is done

https://soundcloud.c...nmoody/one-take

Turned out alright. Not that happy with the melodies though, because I had to follow certain rules as it was a school project. I did however, get that "messy jazz club" feel I wanted (See G.Benson's "Blue Bossa")

e: changed my mind, think I'll scrap the git. melodies

• blowtorchrepair likes this

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

nice...   I like both of them.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

Are vocal covers okay?

THE_TREVALEV
  • THE_TREVALEV

they eat da poo poo

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

Hi, I uploaded this today. I sampled Slob On My Knob by Three 6 Mafia. Criticism welcomed!! http://soundcloud.co...now-a-lil-freak

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

I tried 'Burden' ( Opeth ). Seconding the guy above, any criticism welcomed! :)

https://soundcloud.c...sg/burder-cover

GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:18 AM Edited by GTA564, 26 March 2014 - 04:23 PM.

Hands Up! MIX, This is only a preview, I will finish the mix soon
Tell me if you have any suggestions for improvement
https://soundcloud.c...g-to-believe-in

@gta_aus what you made sounds very good

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:07 PM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 26 March 2014 - 05:07 PM.

Hi guys, I've been a member of these forums for a number of years but I never actually knew this topic existed. Like all of you I do have other interests besides GTA one of which being making music. My current genre of choice is house music and a friend and I have been working of on some stuff of our own. We recently finished up our first proper track and I would appreciate it a lot if you guys would take the time to give it a listen and give some feedback (if you wish).

Here's the link - https://soundcloud.c...ing-deeper-edit

I know vocal piano house isn't everyone's cup of tea but I hope you will have a listen anyway. Oh and if the mood strikes don't forget to give it a like and follow us if you wanna here more in the future.

Thanks in advance guys :) :^:

• GTA564 likes this

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

It's been a while since I last updated the opening post. It's now up to date once more. I had to redo the front page from scratch, considering past updates to the forums have messed with the formatting. I made some slight tweaks to the layout and information, removing some unnecessary excess fat.

I'll try my best to update it from time to time, if needed.

• GTA564 likes this

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

Holy sh*t, it's gamesguru! Long time no see, man. Welcome back!

Here's some sh*t I've done in the past year or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5KUgPougLc

https://soundcloud.com/edmachine/c5-2 (recorded the guitar on a headset mic, hence the noise, but I ordered a soundhole pickup and will rerecord, hopefully with less noise; either way, I just recorded myself playing a chord and a slap and glued it all together)

Glenn.
  • Glenn.

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

https://soundcloud.com/glenn-kelly-3

Let me know what you think guys. :)

• Ferocious Banger likes this

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:49 PM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 28 March 2014 - 01:51 PM.

https://soundcloud.com/glenn-kelly-3

Let me know what you think guys. :)

What's up man I'm a Dublin native and former rapper myself so I'd like to give you some honest critique if I may.

First and foremost what jumps out to me is the accent which clearly isn't your own (unless you're from the States). It might be the type of accent you're used to listening to but you will find it very hard to be taken seriously in Ireland rapping with a fake accent. What are you using for mixing your vocals with the beats? It kind of sounds like you're literally just rapping over a beat like, the two don't mix very well.

In terms of the actual rapping to be honest it needs some work. You're off beat a lot of the time and your flow needs a bit of work too.. the majority of the time its like you're just talking. I notice the type of beats you use have quite a slow bpm I don't know wether this is intentional to mask the fact that your flows are a bit off but it actually has the opposite effect. Your lyrics and rhyming schemes seem to be still in the infant stage too I'm not sure how long you're doing this but it comes accross that you're just starting out would that be right??

• Glenn. likes this

Glenn.
  • Glenn.

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

I've been doing it less then a year, I appreciate the feedback because most people just say im good and leave it at that. I struggle with my accent as I dont have the most common accent and it just ends up that way, I dont want to be forcing any type of voice. I just do it as a hobby at the moment but after I get through school i'll upgrade my equipment abit. Im using Audacity and have no clue how to use the programs, which might explain abit. I dont make my own beats so it might explain the slow bpm, which I didnt even know was an issue. 

The hip hop scene isnt too big over here, and to be honest im not into a lot of the content matter of Hip Hop for my own music, however I highly appreciate this. If possible can you help me out? If you could send me a forums PM maybe on a few tips because I have had literally no guidance on this at all.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

I've been doing it less then a year, I appreciate the feedback because most people just say im good and leave it at that. I struggle with my accent as I dont have the most common accent and it just ends up that way, I dont want to be forcing any type of voice. I just do it as a hobby at the moment but after I get through school i'll upgrade my equipment abit. Im using Audacity and have no clue how to use the programs, which might explain abit. I dont make my own beats so it might explain the slow bpm, which I didnt even know was an issue. 

The hip hop scene isnt too big over here, and to be honest im not into a lot of the content matter of Hip Hop for my own music, however I highly appreciate this. If possible can you help me out? If you could send me a forums PM maybe on a few tips because I have had literally no guidance on this at all.

I PMed you man.

• Glenn. likes this

Glenn.
  • Glenn.

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

Thank you, I cannot describe my happiness ha ha!

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

I've listened to a few of your songs man and I gotta say I'm really liking your style. Is it all done by yourself? Like do you make the instrumentals and sing over them??

Also do you have a soundcloud??

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

I've listened to a few of your songs man and I gotta say I'm really liking your style. Is it all done by yourself? Like do you make the instrumentals and sing over them??

Thanks man! Yeah I do everything, from scratch

soundcloud: https://soundcloud.c...ichaelnojkovski

• GTA564 likes this

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

Thanks man! Yeah I do everything, from scratch

soundcloud: https://soundcloud.c...ichaelnojkovski

Well done man. I know you from around the forums but I never knew you were from Australia.. I always thought you were from somewhere in Eastern Europe or Russia :) I'm a fan of that Kavinsky esque retro electro vibe so I liked your stuff immediately. Keep it up :^:

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:19 AM

Well done man. I know you from around the forums but I never knew you were from Australia.. I always thought you were from somewhere in Eastern Europe or Russia :) I'm a fan of that Kavinsky esque retro electro vibe so I liked your stuff immediately. Keep it up :^:

Haha, yeah I used to have the Russian flag on for ages then changed it to Australia and then the forums changed and flags are gone! 

Thanks a lot, means a lot, glad you like it :)

• Money Over Bullshit likes this

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:09 AM Edited by Ferocious Banger, 04 April 2014 - 06:10 AM.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

Working on a version of auld lang syne, here's the ending

https://soundcloud.c...-auld-lang-syne

If anyone bothers to listen, I'd be more than happy to hear suggestions for a solo instrument to play the melody

GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:02 PM Edited by GTA564, 05 April 2014 - 09:04 PM.

@Marwin Moody
try to Play the melody with a flute and see how it sounds
I think it would suit the style

Bassboom
  • Bassboom

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:39 AM

Hey guys i recently severed two tendons in an accident at work, so ive had some time on my hands and have been producing a couple of beats would really appreciate it if you guys would listen and put you two cents worth in and some comments on soundcloud cheers guys i make kind of dark bassy stuff inspired by feed me, ephixa, stephen walking, bassnectar etc. please check it out :)http://www.soundcloud.com/sneek4017

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:28 AM

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

Piperka, remember me? Tried hitting you up on PSN IIRC, been some time though.

For music of my own, I mentioned I had bought two BCR Warlocks around Xmas last year or so, kept one, both were interestingly priced at a pawnshop around $200 discounted, one I sold BACK to a pawnshop and it sold within about 2 weeks to a month. It was newer vintage import, and the one I still have is early 80s vintage, still the same strings. Since buying a Randall combo I use all the time, I love how both of those guitars sounded, really good action and string tuning, both with different vintage Floyd Rose tremolos.

I'm a Kahler guy, but I prefer having both types because of the difference you get from dive bombing, and I was also asked about my former Washburn with Wonderbar, which I told the guy is not far removed from Kahler all on one top mounting trems.

It just feels hella bigger, which it is! haha

The same type of cam system and I believe, large mounted springs on the bottom probably heavily influenced by Gary Kahler's design.

I tried recording some samples of how it sounds but sadly, getting the right positioning without a proper tripod that I lack, I still feel I can't put a really good video together, but I'll tell you, I'm very pleased with the Randall RX15 I just happened across at another local pawnshop.

Best advice I'd give is keep frequenting pawn shops if you can, their inventory is always changing and the deals are likely much better then a guitar or music shop specific to retail.

I'm pretty lucky given I live in a metro locale with a lot of music shops!

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:41 PM Edited by blowtorchrepair, 19 April 2014 - 08:29 PM.

https://soundcloud.com/chimpvision

A longtime friend of mine, who's also been my GTA multiplayer partner since 2008, and myself hold anywhere from 6-8 impromptu jam sessions a year which we record.  I play live drums and my friend plays an assortment of electronics (samplers, kaossilators, efx) and apple based products.  He throws loops, patterns, and sounds at me and I frame them with beats.  It's always different.  it's always spontaneous.  It's one of the things we do to stay sane..  

above is a link to a handful of jam cuts from the last 18 months of recording.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users