Photo

[Mapping] Giant Objects Dissapearing

6 replies to this topic
Caencel
  • Caencel

Bugpills

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

Hi, i have been trying to do an Horizon mod for GTA VC, i had this idea after watching some photographs from an island in the middle of a lake, the thing is whenever i import what basically is a giant cylinder of 18 sides to VC, it's only visible from far an at certain angles if i move the camera toward the sky the object disappear and also happens if i get too close to the object, i tried braking it to 18 independent planes although all 18 sharing the same pivot/origin coords, also i made some tests with the settings using KEd and MEd to no avail, from disabling the LOD to create one, however i'm not having problems with small object, already tried googling and looking carefully at the rest of the map objects and i don't seem to be doing anything wrong, also tried increasing the poly count of big objects but doesn't seem to help, i made a test with a giant object to show more or less what's the problem.

The object is there
http://imageshack.us...41/61193855.png

Moving a bit the camera and then it's not there
http://imageshack.us...94/38500340.png

from another angle, i can see again the big object
http://imageshack.us...09/69861271.png

And moving upwards the camera makes it dissapear
http://imageshack.us...25/45204689.png

The object is placed at x0,y0,z0 and i'm taking the shots outside Malibu club.

Celestail
  • Celestail

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

The object maybe too big you should try to break it down into multiple objects and put them together ingame or have you tryed that?

iLiR
  • iLiR

Spinnin'

• Members
  • Macedonia

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:55 PM Edited by ilir, 30 October 2012 - 10:08 PM.

That occurs when your model is too big. Try splitting your model in two or more pieces and try again.

EDIT: Celestail already explained you.

Caencel
  • Caencel

Bugpills

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

well that will take 64 faces to work with, i'll give it a try and return with a result, let's hope it works

Caencel
  • Caencel

Bugpills

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

nope, still to big, i guess i can drop this now as it would be easier to find a skybox mod or something, which btw i don't think exist yet as i already looked for it, anyway, thanks for the support

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro modding.

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

You can have giant objects with custom cols or zeroed out collisions.

Now there is one thing to remember, VC has zon files that also tell the engine what to render and where.

Delete or Comment; below from the gta_vc.dat and your find the giant object will stay but so will the other LODs along with your normal objects.

cull.zon
map.zon

I did remake all the LODs so they couldn't be seem, so I could have giant LODs for other islands but I lost the data.

I also hacked the draw distance.

Check out my Vice City HQ mod and yes I need to update the exe hacks.

Caencel
  • Caencel

Bugpills

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (X-Seti @ Monday, Nov 5 2012, 01:05)
You can have giant objects with custom cols or zeroed out collisions.

Now there is one thing to remember, VC has zon files that also tell the engine what to render and where.

Delete or Comment; below from the gta_vc.dat and your find the giant object will stay but so will the other LODs along with your normal objects.

cull.zon
map.zon

I did remake all the LODs so they couldn't be seem, so I could have giant LODs for other islands but I lost the data.

I also hacked the draw distance.

Check out my Vice City HQ mod and yes I need to update the exe hacks.

ah, good thing i did not unsuscribed from my topic, indeed not satisfied with the "can't do" i explored some other aspects of the game and indeed also got my eye in the zones, but didn't toke a really deep interest since all i thought these do were defining the boundaries of the islands and stuff in terms of "you are leaving" and "you are in now" and that is the answer to thaving an horizon i want to explore more about the .zon files, perhaps maybe is not necesseray re-do all the LODs, i'll give it a try today, thank you man.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users