Photo

Counties and Jurisdictions

579 replies to this topic
gtablt
  • gtablt

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:52 AM

Thanks so much for the response! Yeah, that makes sense what you said. I was just throwing a random idea out there.

I also like what you said about the county seat town there with Trevor. I think you may be right. That clear that seems to behind the businesses there might very well be a neat county courthouse building!

HoleInTheSky
  • HoleInTheSky

random fanatic

• Members
  • England

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:05 AM

Interesting thread.

I'm also glad you pointed out that GTA IV is set over two locations.

Five years on, and people still think Alderney is part of Liberty City.

gtablt
  • gtablt

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE (HoleInTheSky @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 02:05)
Interesting thread.

I'm also glad you pointed out that GTA IV is set over two locations.

Five years on, and people still think Alderney is part of Liberty City.

It is truly astounding how many people think that isn't it? Yeah, it still surprises me to this day. People don't even know it's two different states.

GTALE
  • GTALE

Law Enforcement Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (USAPatriot @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 00:36)
Where is Blaine County Sheriff's Office in GTA V and Whats Up With The Los Santos County Sheriff?

user posted image

First lets start off with a major correction and backtrack on a previous thing we thought we approves and completed. WE HAVE NOT SEEN A BLAINE COUNTY SHERIFF CAR YET. I was wrong when diagraming an image before, and have the evidence to back it up. So lets discuss where the heck the Blaine County Sheriff cars are, and whats up with the two color variants of the Los Santos County Sheriff's Office. Code 3.

You're thinking, "but we confirmed a Blaine County Sheriff car in the shot with Trevor climbing the Vinewood sign. I thought so too, but the answer is now no. Looking closer at the text on the side, it is still hard to tell what it says, but the new dead give away is this...

user posted image

That's right! The emblems on the side of the vehicles match. The white pre-2013 Vapid in the one shot has the same badge design as the Declasse Rancher SUV in the other, and to make it more confusing, both cars are different colors. Since we confirmed the SUV is a Los Santos County Sheriff car, that would make the white unit a Los Santos County Sheriff car as well. It would also make more since since the Vinewood sign would be within county lines and not Blaine County lines. But hold on, there is still a lot to discuss. In the "Trevor climbing Vinewood" sign picture, what are those two white SUV's in the background with the stripes? Are they an older version of the LSSO SUV? Has Rockstar since changed the SUV to be black and white and do the same to the sedan soon? Or they the park ranger vehicles we wanted to know and see so much about? At this point, they very well could be park rangers (only concerning factor is their heavy guns).

So why would Rockstar make a knockoff parody of the Los Santos Sheriff's Office be with white cars and black SUVs. Shouldn't they all be black and white like the real sheriff car?

user posted image
(Los Angeles County Sheriff Volunteer Unit. Photo Credit

I did research, and found out the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office does in fact have white cars, but they are reserved for volunteers, senior citizen patrols, and college campuses. They also have orange lightbars. So my only reasoning is that Rockstar made their Los Santos Sheriff cars white so the player could differentiate that they are no longer being pursued by Los Santos Police. It is slight, but would be noticeable in the heat of a pursuit. Still odd the SUVs are a different color then the cars. So this is still a foggy area in our research, as are the SUVs in the "Trevor climbing Vinewood Sign" image. They will be brought up again below.

So where are the Blaine County Sheriff cars? Have we even seen one yet? Answer. I don't know, but we might have in a recent photo released during E3 by Rockstar, check image 7 below for direct answer. Check it below and following the numbering of the image with each paragraph.

user posted image

1. Possibly an older version of Los Santos County Sheriff SUVs before they changed to black and white (see number 4). If this is the case, the cars might be re-skinned to black and white too soon. There is a possibility these are park ranger units as well, because the Vinewood sign is within park grounds.

2. Not a Blaine County Sheriff car like first thought, as the badge on the side matches the badge of Los Santos County Sheriff SUVS seen in image 4.

3. This is just showing users that the older Pre-2013 Vapid Cruiser is still in the game, seen here as LSPD.

4. Los Santos County Sheriff unit in a suburb somewhere in Los Santos County.

5. Motorcycle units are the GTA V version of California Highway Patrol due to the blue helmets. Due to a lack thereof for a better name, we will call the the San Andreas Highway Patrol. Note there is a white Cruiser and white SUV too, unknown if they are SAHP as well or a local sheriff's office assisting. We don't have enough information on the SAHP to continue this conversation really, but it is exciting to see they will be in the game (at least in motorcycles).

6. This is the same type of vehicles as image 2. It is a white Los Santos County Sheriff unit, which at this point I think will be the main patrol car for the agency. The black and white SUVs which are like a special ground unit, come later.

7. This, this right here. This could be our first look at a true Blaine County Sheriff car. It's small, it's white, it's blurry. Based on the surroundings in the full sized image, it seems like it is Blaine County (Assuming Blaine county is around the Alamo Sea). Since Rockstar never said what defines Blaine County and where Los Santos County ends, we just don't know yet which agency this is. Don't forget we can't leave out other counties being in the game is a good possibility.

We at this point just have to hope Rockstar doesn't scrap different sheriff agencies at the last second because they think it would be easier to make all jurisdictions be patrolled by a state police force like they did in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas back in the days of Playstation 2. I do not think they will, and I am confident they won't, so lets not think they will.

Lastly on the agenda for this update is the Los Santos 2013 Next Gen Vapid Cruiser. This car.

user posted image
user posted image

As you can see, I made one of the markings we've seen in the trailers, and then made one using traditional LSPD markings, which we have only seen on pre-2013 Vapid Cruisers and a Bravado Buffalo. Why is Rockstar not using the older markings on these newer units as well? I really don't know. In real life, the Los Angeles Police Department has not been changing their vehicle markings, so there really is no explanation. But it is a game, Rockstar's game, and they can do what they please.

That is it for this update, and thanks for reading. Hope we answered many questions and cleared things up for people. If you want to discuss or have burning questions, please comment below! Happy Fathers Day.

Simply because people don't look back, this is the most recent major posting with all the big details people are looking for.

DrewyR
  • DrewyR

DrewyR

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

Good thread but GTA isn't a police simulator so I doubt R* are going to bother focusing on different badges and stuff.

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (DrewyR @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 17:39)
Good thread but GTA isn't a police simulator so I doubt R* are going to bother focusing on different badges and stuff.

Thanks for the opinion, but you are incorrect. On the first post as well as several after that, I provided all the evidence you need to say otherwise. It is not a police simulator, true, but having realistic policing systems is part of what Grand Theft Auto is now. Look at San Andreas. You could argue socio-economic outcomes are not a part of what GTA is or realistic set ups of towns based on these factors... but it is. We've seen in it every GTA since GTA III. It has progressed better and more realistic ever since. San Andreas was full of background details and miniscule hints of how a town thrives based on location and city planning. The same goes for policing. GTA San Andreas had more sheriff agency files they ended up not using and instead just opted for a state police. Liberty City had two different policing agencies for Alderney and Liberty City, but in the end they kept just the LCPD. But you can still see Alderney Police badges and uniforms on the officers.

So Rockstar does pay attention to this 'stuff' and does make badges. They just need to fully implement it in a title, as it seems they are doing in GTA V. smile.gif

GTALE
  • GTALE

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

The only people now saying that other agencies are not in the game, are the people who haven't read the updates or looked at the latest screenshots. They just kind of scan over them, then go to the next one. It is clearly evident other agencies exist in the game.

jackjenkins
  • jackjenkins

Sheriff

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Have you had any ideas about police boats? With the military pretty much confirmed, there could be some form of coast guard? sigh.gif

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (jackjenkins @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 18:09)
Have you had any ideas about police boats? With the military pretty much confirmed, there could be some form of coast guard? sigh.gif

No clue. I would assume law enforcement on the water will be in the game as they have been in every GTA. But how they would work via jurisdictions is unknown at this point. Sheriff police in the rural waters and lakes, municipal in Los Santos? Really don't know.

We also don't know the impact the military will be in the game or if they will even be deployed during the wanted system. We have only seen air force jets and a military jeep, but no evidence of them showing up if you are wanted. I will frown upon the military showing up, but who knows?

Clueless115
  • Clueless115

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (USAPatriot @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 21:07)
Have you had any ideas about police boats? With the military pretty much confirmed, there could be some form of coast guard?  sigh.gif

No clue. I would assume law enforcement on the water will be in the game as they have been in every GTA. But how they would work via jurisdictions is unknown at this point. Sheriff police in the rural waters and lakes, municipal in Los Santos? Really don't know.

We also don't know the impact the military will be in the game or if they will even be deployed during the wanted system. We have only seen air force jets and a military jeep, but no evidence of them showing up if you are wanted. I will frown upon the military showing up, but who knows?

I wouldn't be too bothered about them showing up, if it was worth it, like if I steal a jet and start shooting rockets at everything. But not just for getting say, the maximum amount of stars.

gtablt
  • gtablt

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

If there is a good balance on how the military would show up or national guard, that'd be cool. Like if you directly mess with them at their base or steal their stuff (which should be super super hard to do). I'm talking you die more then you actually get into a tank or jet.

I don't think anyone wants to see tanks and the army shooting you if you stole a car in front of a cop and is escalated that whole way. The military should only come if you deal with them directly. And still, I don't want to see them chasing me in the city, mainly in and around their bases.

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

Agreed. If the military ever do get involved, it needs to be around their base, but not within city limits. It is not even legally allowed for the US Army to do law enforcement duties unless under martial law in which several hurdles have to be lept over.

GTALE
  • GTALE

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

We will certainly see some military vehicles in the game. We saw already a Jeep in one of the trailers or teasers. I think it is safe to say we will see some military big rigs and maybe a helicopter too. Hopefully some real neat things. We've already seen air force jets as well.

As for the military coming after you? I hope not. We haven't seen evidence of this. Hopefully they only react when you are on their grounds. But I don't want to see the military come after people for petty crimes. Even during a terrorist sized event, you're not going to see the military on an active manhunt. That is up to federal and local authorities.

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:16 AM Edited by omawnakw, 03 July 2013 - 09:24 AM.

Nice thread, USAPatriot, very informative, thank you! I have a question about LSPD emblem in your pictures, where it come from and I think there should be a beaver instead of a bear and some thingie I can't identify instead of the scales:
user posted image

TheDeaconBosco
  • TheDeaconBosco

A car so nice, they've named it twice

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 09:16)
Nice thread, USAPatriot, very informative, thank you! I have a question about LSPD emblem in your pictures, where it come from and I think there should be a beaver instead of a bear and some thingie I can't identify instead of scales:
user posted image

The spiked thingy reminds me of Kebabs...
  • GTALE likes this

gtablt
  • gtablt

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

I too have a question. Do you think law enforcement agencies will drive ATVs or dirt bikes sometimes?

omawnakw
  • omawnakw

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:05 PM Edited by omawnakw, 03 July 2013 - 05:07 PM.

QUOTE (gtablt @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 16:47)
I too have a question.  Do you think law enforcement agencies will drive ATVs or dirt bikes sometimes?

Yeah, or some exotic vehicles like this from Catalina island
user posted image
(found it here http://policecarwebs...dcars/lasd.htm)
Would be as cool as Santa Catalina in the game.
user posted image

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:56 PM Edited by USAPatriot, 03 July 2013 - 06:00 PM.

QUOTE (omawnakw @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 09:16)
Nice thread, USAPatriot, very informative, thank you! I have a question about LSPD emblem in your pictures, where it come from and I think there should be a beaver instead of a bear and some thingie I can't identify instead of the scales:
user posted image

user posted image
Thank you for the response! Starting at the very top, we got the weights of justice on the old logo, but the new one looks to be fruit, like the city has worked hard for the fruits of it's labor maybe.... On the left moving to the right, top level, of the newer Los Santos logo we see a beaver (the older logo had a bear on it) There also appears to be two axes under the beaver. Then a flag to the right in what I assume is the state flag of San Andreas, or could be the Los Santos City flag. The single star represents them being the center of the universe in their minds? smile.gif Next level down on the left we see an owl then what appears to be sasquatch. An urban legend well known about in San Andreas as well as the Pacific Northwest in the real world, though variations of the sasquatch or yeti are told around the word. Hope that clears it up for you a bit.

QUOTE (gtablt @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 16:47)
I too have a question.  Do you think law enforcement agencies will drive ATVs or dirt bikes sometimes?

Check back a page, we discussed this pretty in depth. We talked about the chances of the Los Santos Sheriff's Office having a biking unit, as well as Blaine County.
  • GTALE likes this

albinobuffalo96
  • albinobuffalo96

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

Have you had any ideas about police boats? With the military pretty much confirmed, there could be some form of coast guard?  sigh.gif

They should have boats for the S.E.C just so someone can say "They have boats?!"

UP9390
  • UP9390

Railfan, Sheriff of Los Santos County - PSN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (USAPatriot @ Saturday, Jun 22 2013, 19:29)
Agreed. If the military ever do get involved, it needs to be around their base, but not within city limits. It is not even legally allowed for the US Army to do law enforcement duties unless under martial law in which several hurdles have to be lept over.

Actually, the National Guard (Both Air Force and Army) plus the Coast Guard can enforce laws. The National Guard can enforce laws without martial law. Example: Hurricane Katrina 2005, the National Guard was called in not only to provide relief, but to help enforce laws. Coast Guard is responsible for Maritime, Port, and coastline as S&R, Law Enforcement, and as a component of the armed forces.

GTALE
  • GTALE

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:39 PM Edited by GTALE, 08 July 2013 - 09:42 PM.

Should be exciting to see what we can learn from the gameplay video tomorrow when Rockstar releases them at 7am Pacific time / 10am Eastern. I really don't know what to expect. Maybe a mix of various bits of gameplay and thrown in with a song. Doubt we will learn much about the world or the police cars, but it would be a good time for Rockstar to show off how you can zoom in and out of players with that satellite mode thing. Though of course they will probably have chosen wisely what they show and don't show. Here's to an exciting Tuesday the 9th coming up!

As well, gameInformer supposedly has some info, as do other outlets.
user posted image

Congrats on this amazing thread hitting 200 posts too!

gtablt
  • gtablt

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

OH MY GOSH! The new video was awesome! Can't wait till you post an update with the new stuff and vehicles we saw!

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

Working on the next update now. Should be out today sometime. In the meantime, enjoy this new image of the game showing a new NEXT GEN vapid Cruiser.

user posted image

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

GTA V Gameplay Video 1 Breakdown on Law Enforcement

user posted image

Simple. The numbers beside each picture correspond to the paragraph below. Three major points we will focus on from this update are three main things we learned. Lightbars and police car apparel is random by unit. Second, police car numbers are not infinite and we will see repeat, even during the same pursuit. Lastly the major focus is the amount of units available for a pursuit. We will also talk about the prison, the vehicles, and the agencies a bit. Still my big concern is us not officially seeing a unit that says Blaine County Sheriff. Could Los Santos County be the western coast of the map and Blaine County be the eastern portion we may have not seen yet?

1. In this image we see a lot going on. In total, there are six law enforcement cars on this screen, but as the camera spins around, as we can see on image 2, there are a total of 15 law enforcement vehicles on the screen, including one helicopter. This image also shows the San Andreas State Penitentiary. The penitentiary is near a small roadside community with various roadside businesses. All the vehicles in the pursuit are white except for the helicopter seen in image 2 and a SUV racing to the scene just before the image 1 scene was snapped. The markings show these may not be Blaine County Sheriff cars as we first thought. The logo on the side is Los Santos County Sheriff, which means this is still possibly part of Los Santos County. The SUV with the green stripe in this image will be talked about in image 6.

2. Again, a total of 15 law enforcement vehicles seen between shots 1 and 2. That is a big advancement since GTA IV.

3. We've seen this bridge before, with police pursuits on it! This shot has two helicopters, several white sheriff cruisers bearing the Los Santos Sheriff seal and a black and white Sheriff SUV from Los Santos County... but note there are no deputies hanging along the side doors. This is the first time we have seen an SUV unit without deputies hanging on the side. It can mean one of several things. Rockstar heard our complaints of always having those guys on the side and removed them (for certain cases, because they can still be seen in other scenes of this video) or they simply all fell off. Also this scene is important. You can see unit numbers as the cars race by, and the differences in police lightbars. This sheriff's agency has at least two different lightbars. The bigger tubular one, or as the second car shows in the lineup, a slimmer lightbar. Upon further inspection, the second cars lightbar is not broken or shot out either. It is just a different lightbar. This leads me to believe that lightbars will vary depending on vehicle, as will the unit numbers. Unit numbers will be explained in 4 and 5.

4 and 5. Unit number 42. Oh wait... image five has a unit number 42 as well, and a repeat of unit 03 can be seen in image five if you wait half a second in the video when a third unit is shown. There are two units with 03. In images 1 and 2, there is a unit 03 too! So that means, while there are different numbers on units, there will be repeat numbers. So don't except an endless cycle of numbers. Expect maybe 10 or so different numbers by agency. The number might also make a different on the vehicle model and the lightbar it gets when the game generates.

6. Long ago we thought this was a Blaine County Sheriff SUV, and it still could be. But we also thought it might be a San Andreas State Park Ranger. Now in this scene it is by a prison. So what is this unit and who does it belong too? Answer; I don't know.

7. Los Santos County Sheriff Declasse Rancher. Notice there are no deputies holding onto the sides.

8. Thicker, tubular light bar.

9. Thinner, slim light bar. Unit number is 03.

10. We can see that the game has kept variable lights on police cars, at least in Los Santos. Here we see a next gen 2013 Vapid Cruiser, with an SUV unit behind it. The lights are all flashing on this car, and should ease some fears that Rockstar removed them from the game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope you add your own comments and things you've noticed! We saw a lot from this video, and hopefully this update can answer, explain, or help make you think about other things in the game. Take care!

[/SIZE]
  • GTALE likes this

GTALE
  • GTALE

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

AWESOME! You really got a great update here again! So we can see rotators and slimmer light bars even out in the county! Still a lot of Los Santos County Sheriff cars, and nothing from Blaine County Sheriff's Office we've been able to decifer. Very good job!

I'm not sure what this could mean, but during the chase scene, Trevor had 5 stars. So maybe the SUV with the green stripe is some federal agency? Maybe border services? I don't know why they'd be there though. I'm just trying to think of anything they could be. They wouldn't be park rangers now, since this shot wasn't taken by any park. Maybe prison security or police? I don't know?

I'm not going to complain in the numbers repeat. At least the numbers and different light bars add diversity to the police cars.

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Hey thanks for always replying. There are a few loyalists to this thread and our work, so thanks. smile.gif Most just look at don't comment. Probably too much reading for them. wink.gif

Yeah, we are the first to pick up on repeating numbers and variable light bars. The five stars thing I saw mentioned before, so I didn't comment, but we didn't see military in the pursuit, so it is safe to say that Rockstar has omitted the army pursuing players (thankfully). But that doesn't mean they won't chase you down and shoot you when you enter their grounds.

GTALE
  • GTALE

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, I am happy the army isn't chasing you. But it could be military police... I guess? I still think it is related to a sheriff's office.

What surprises me though is how big Los Santos County we are seeing extends from the city itself. Even into areas we all thought was Blaine County originally. So we have not seen a Blaine County Sheriff car, will we? Or is Rockstar going to make it all Los Santos County Sheriff cars, which would make no sense! We just keep seeing Los Santos sheriff units.

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

So this thread has had over 500 new views since I released the new update, and only one person has responded? Pathetic.

We really don't know how far Los Santos County extends and where Blaine County begins. We just will have to assume at this point it is somewhere around the Alamo Sea that Blaine County is located, but to how far it encroaches to Los Santos isn't known. It seems like Los Santos county heads pretty far east and pretty far north up the coastline.

Gravedigger69
  • Gravedigger69

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Looks like they made functional search light on the cars in screen 10 it's about time

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

^ I'm not to sure about that. They might work when the AI is driving and trying to find you, but I doubt they will allow us, the player, to control the spotlight. But it would be nice if we could.

So we see a new town in the Northeastern section of the map in this video. During the video, there is a sign which has the towns layout. The name is Paleto when translated from the Slovenian word means roughly, "an array of." Now the Spanish version of the word translated to "Redneck." The video shows "police response" on a checklist, which would make us think there could be a municipal police force. Though they are probably interchangeable using sheriff's office and police here. But wouldn't it be neat if the town had it's own municipal police force? They obviously must have some form of law enforcement office or substation in town, since they are looking for their response time.

I think the town will be patrolled by a sheriff's office (which county this town is in, I don't know). Could the town also be a county seat? I don't think so, I didn't see any landmark buildings or anything that looked like it could be a courthouse from aerial shots of the town. But still, it is stuff to think about.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users