» «
Photo

Counties and Jurisdictions

579 replies to this topic
USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:20 PM Edited by USAPatriot, 15 August 2013 - 09:46 PM.

Counties and Jurisdictions (Check the Updates Section, scroll down or go to the LATEST PAGE for newest content)

user posted image

Introduction: Something that has been evident in past GTA games, but never fully utilized is the use of counties and jurisdictions. Counties are located in every state of the United States except for Alaska which uses Boroughs
(Lousiana uses parishes but they fall under the same basic county ideals). Counties have different leaders and laws from one another, but are often similar in terms of law. Each county also has a sheriff's office (elected position) or department (not elected). In some cases, the county sheriff will provide policing services to areas and towns that do not have their own municipal police force. This can also be said about a state police, that is often divided up by region or jurisdiction. I feel Rockstar could make the game a lot more immersive if Rockstar ever fully implemented the idea of sheriff's offices/state police. Lets take a somewhat in depth look at past GTA's that feature this counties and jurisdictions. I realize this topic has been discussed, but I want to take it in a bit different direction.

SAN ANDREAS : What I loved about San Andreas was the countryside, and the mix of different environments. There were also counties in San Andreas. Take a peak at them in this little map I made showing the counties and all the towns in the game.

user posted image

Los Santos, San Fierro, and Las Venturas were never explained to be a part of any county, though I made the assumption they were in their own county of the same name. What puzzled me in San Andreas was that there were counties, and building for the county sheriff in almost every county. Below are a few images of the sheriff's offices

user posted image
Tierra Robada County Sheriff.
user posted image
Bone County Sheriff.
user posted image
Whetstone County Sheriff.

Yet even with these various sheriff offices, there were no courthouses except in the major cities like Los Santos, Las Venturas, and San Fierro. Even more puzzling was how there were various uniforms for the counties, yet they all shared the same badge of the San Andreas State Police! What? State Police? Why are they headquartered in sheriff's offices? Aren't they sheriffs or state police? Well, that brings me to my next subject is the state police.

user posted image

The game had a badge and logo for the state police scene on the Rangers parked at rural sheriff stations. I love the idea of various forms of law enforcement ranging from the sheriff department up to the state police. San Andreas had all those levels but didn't properly implement it. They had various sheriff buildings (most likely the county seat of each county) but didn't give them unique sheriff car designs. Would it be so hard to give each county a different logo or design? What might be more difficult is to manage when and where these cars spawn and when they disappear between county lines. State patrol cars could be seen patrolling highways as and maybe have county sheriff cars patrolling back country roads and smaller towns. A few towns in San Andreas also seemed like they could have had their own municipal police force, but they didn't A fine two examples would be Palimino Creek and Fort Carson, but like everything else outside of LS, SF, and LV, they had the state police / sheriff cars.

So in short, a simple implementation of law enforcement divisions would have been nice.

GTA IV : GTA IV had two cities. Did you know they had two cities? Did you also know it was a portion of two states? Alderney Island was a different state and city then Liberty City. The game made this apparent in police uniforms and game files. You had Liberty City being on the (New York) side and Alderney City on the (New Jersey) side. Now this is pretty interesting. Game files and law enforcement uniforms varied in each area.

user posted image
user posted image

On the Alderney Island side of things, police uniforms changed away from the LCPD and became Alderney State Police officers with a lighter blue uniform and different police patch. But sadly, Rockstar didn't follow through with possible their original intentions and gave these officers the exact same patrol cars as the LCPD with the same markings. Why didn't they get Alderney City and Alderney State Police cars instead of LCPD cars?

GTA V and the future : So we know the next GTA will take place in a re-imagined Southern California and Los Santos, from the mountain tops to the deep sea below. I know it is doubtful, but will Rockstar make differences in municipal, county, and state police? So lets imagine Los Santos has their own police (which we have already seen). Okay great. But outside of Los Santos, will the countryside have a county sheriff's office? If so, will it have a different design the the same black and white cars as the LSPD? Will their be state police?

user posted image
LSPD Cruiser

user posted image
Fictional County Sheriff Cruiser

It is as easy as that. They can even use the same car model, but have a different design or completely different colors! Assuming there are a few small towns outside in that countryside, I think it would be beneficial to have a sheriff's office and a county courthouse. Imagine being pursued by a county sheriff. Smaller agency sure, with maybe not as good of materials as the big city, but they are still doing their best to stop you. Or just driving into a small town past the courthouse and seeing sheriff cars parked out front. The small town knows the sheriff and the deputies. It would be a cool feeling and really be a nice implementation.

So my question to you. Would you like this implementation and why do you think they never included it fully before, even though Rockstar made all the files and uniforms and badges, town social structures, etc? Rockstar has always been great at making towns realistically (Especially the small towns in San Andreas) and it would be great to make the game even better jurisdictions and fully implement counties and the county sheriff's office.

Thank you for your time.

UPDATE INDEX (Click to view Updates)

Intro: Link
Update 1: Sheriff Image 1 LSPD Vehicle Breakdown, Van/Wagon Page 2
Update 2: Sheriff SUVs breakdown Page 2
Update 3: Sheriff Car and SUV re-draw and re-breakdown with hand-made designs based on photos Page 3
Update 4: New Sheriff SUV photos, a breakdown, wanted systems, and helicopter Page 3
Update 5: Grapeseed map and county, municipal, and state jurisdiction ideas Page 4
Update 6: Fictional Map Of San Andreas Page 4
Update 7: New Vapid Police Cruisers and Ideas and Predictions Page 4
Update 8: Buffalo Cruiser confirmed, Sheriff SUV & possibly image of SAHP Page 5
Update 9: Full Model Design of Next Generation Vapid Cruiser Page 6
Update 10: Full Model Design of Law Enforcement SUV Page 6
Update 11: New Info, No Blaine County Sheriff Yet, Los Santos Sheriff Breakdown, and LSPD Info Page 9
Update 12: Variable Lightbars, Unit Numbers, Amount of Units In Pursuit, and breakdown of Gameplay video Page 11
Update 13: Online Video Breakdown, Buffalo Bravado Discussion Page 20

UPDATE 5:
Breakdown of Jursidictions and How GTA V Could Build On It

Okay, so lets break it down even further. We are having a great discussion here and would love to see more people involved. smile.gif

So let me make a fictional county and include Grapeseed, which we can assume is a small farming community or area in GTA V. For the purposes of this demonstration, I will make Grapeseed a town big enough to have a municipal police force and nearby to a larger community which happens to be the county seat of this "unknown" county Grapeseed is located in. To make things easier, lets just say GRAPESEED is in a county called "Forest." So we will call it Forest County, located in the state of San Andreas. lets take a peak at it.

user posted image

Okay, there we are. A fictional county named Forest County. You can see main roads, a large freeway that goes through the county, and lots of countryside and agriculture.... since Grapeseed is surrounded by agriculture. To the north and east of Grapeseed we see mountainous terrain since we can see mountains in the Grapeseed image. Let us take it a step further and see this same map, but now with law enforcement thrown in. We will add the state level enforcement (state police/patrol), a county level enforcement (sheriff's office), and municipal level enforcement (city/town police department). Check it out below.

user posted image

Awesome. There we go. Seems pretty realistic. In all cases, a sheriff's office will have a headquarters, usually in the same town that is the county seat. That means it is the head of government for the county. They often have a courthouse and jail within the town or city it is located in. If the county is big in terms of size or heavily populated, a sheriff's office may need multiple stations so deputies don't have to always start from the headquarters which may be far from isolated points within their jurisdiction. So for this instance, I made two substations. You can see them on the map. One to the right by a smaller settlement and one to the left out towards the mountains past Grapeseed. The main sheriff's office has units that patrol the central portion of the county. Self explanatory. Their jurisdiction is the entire county, in this case, Forest County. They patrol towns without a police force, and towns that contract with them for services.

You will note the green dot denotes a state patrol office, which is from the state level. The state patrol (or state police) will patrol the county freeways, highways, and biways, and tent to overlap jurisdictions of county level and municipal level agencies. Their authority is the entire state and they can be seen anywhere at anytime. In this instance, they have a state patrol office along the main freeway for easy access to patrol the freeways of the state. This is the portion of the state they focus on and other areas and counties may have a state patrol office as well. It is a large state after all.

For this example, the map has two municipal police agencies, and they patrol the town or city they are located in. They will still work with other agencies of course. Just because a speeder starts within their town limits and leaves, doesn't mean they will stop. They will contact the county sheriff or state police for further help, but probably follow as long as they are needed. So in this map, I gave Grapeseed their own municipal force (though they probably won't have one in the game) and the larger town has one too. Just for kicks and giggles...

Okay, lets zoom in again and focus on the larger town and Grapeseed.

user posted image

This map shows the northern portion of the larger town and Grapeseed. It shows all the same law enforcement agencies, but zoomed in, and you can see more main roads. I also added "city limits" to show where the municipal agencies jurisdictions end. But remember, they can go beyond it. If law enforcement in a neighboring town needs help, they will help. But this is just to give a rough idea how Rockstar could implement this idea. Just have municipal cars spawn within the city limits, and beyond that would be county sheriff cars in non city zoned land. Also along freeways and major highways, they can add state patrol. Seems reasonable enough.

I hope you enjoyed this presentation and happy day after Easter and April Fools day!

Generalized GTA Map Focusing On Smaller Jurisdictions

I decided to take a stab at making a rough GTA V map. By no means is this to scale or accurate... but it has things in generalized areas based off of what I've seen in trailers and screenshots. smile.gif Hopefully this makes some sense. I will explain it more below. This map also features the scenes from the recent Episilon Program teaser. I also tried to make plausible guesses on towns and areas we know very little about, and they seem reasonable... at least to me. So enjoy. Note the grey fog bank just separates areas and is truly unknown.

user posted image

1. Number one is what I have guessed to be a prison, as have many others. I also think that 1 and 8 on this map are the same thing, but I have two locations marked. 8 is possibly the wrong spot and probably the location of an airfield we have seen in a trailer. But both the images for one and 8 show palm trees in the correct spots to each other and the same circular formation of structures. It might be a prison or something else, but would be a cool prison for role players. Try escaping prison with nothing be dessert and a 4 lane freeway nearby.

2. My estimation of the Alamo Sea settlement, which seems to stretch along the southwest and southern shore of the inland sea. The landscape is scrubland, not greenery and trees.

3. This could really be anywhere, but is most likely east of Zancudo Mountain because of the view and angle we are looking at it.

4. We know nothing about this place, but based on the sign as you enter the town, I would say this town is located away from the main freeway and along a rural highway. Signs probably point to the freeway. It is in a desert region. The town looks depressed with not much active business, which makes me think the freeway bypasses the town by quite some distance.

5. Note this town is located beneath that fog bank on the northwest corner of my map above. I think this town is at the base of a large mountain... duh, you can see it in the photo, but I also think this town is similar to Angel Pine in San Andreas. I think it will be off the Coast Freeway, inland a bit, and surrounded by a more lush green forested area. Possibly at the end of one of those long river valleys. Anyways, I think it will be north, to northwest. My guess is the map becomes more green the further north you go. I also have a guess a tunnel into a mountain is nearby here, the one that goes across a big valley, same as the bridge scene with the train and hang glider. Where's Grapeseed?

6. Just a guess on where this airfield is. You can see structures in the distance of this photo, which some think is part of a city skyline, or could be smokestacks to an industrial complex, since we know of one major one in Los Santos.

7. This little section is a map separated from the rest, because we don't know anything about this region or if it is even a part of GTA V. I separated it with fog. From the Epsilon Program teaser, we see a lighthouse and another shot with what appears to be a highway, my guess the coast highway or 101 parody. This is the same highway we see in a screenshot with a motorcycle and a sign that reads "Bay City Avenue." This scene is just far north of that up in a rural seaside area.

8. Same as 1. Read it.

9. This is somewhere out in the scrublands to dessert region. Something makes me think it is close to location 4 on the map, but I have no real proof.

10. This would tie into the lighthouse sorta... they are both north, we just don't know how far. This seems to be a parody of the Big Sur region and the Bixby Bridge. It can be seen at the end of those shots with the forested river valleys.

11. Just for reference, there is the Zancudo River.

12. In the background of this scene we see trees and a forested area and mountain base. So it is safe to say this building is in a transition zone that changes from scrubland to a more dry ponderosa/pine type eco region.

13. That there is the train bridge. Zancudo Mtn... if that is the mountain there, appears to have two rivers on each side, both different and forested.

14. Though this is artwork, and not exactly canon, the background shows a mountain that is not as arid as others... so it seems to be in a transition zone, or at least visibly near a more lush area, similar to 12.

This leaves me with the important question as to where the HECK is Grapeseed? Is it related to 4? I don't think so. The farming fields would need more room then what 4 shows... and farming isn't exactly popular next to mountains on the American west coast. Though Grapeseed doesn't look very arid, so it is on a more wet side of a mountain range.

Those are just some of my thoughts and ideas, feel free to add.

• PhillBellic, GTALE and Cardiffcitydylan like this

HugoDuarteGK
  • HugoDuarteGK

FORUM DOUCH

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif ... (till infinite)

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

I hope the map is based on real life Southern California but scaled down

If we have Los Santos County and this is divided into 80-90 different boroughs representing the cities of LA county.

Then we we leave LS County we enter a new county such as Riverside or San Bernadino (with a GTA V name) and these countryside counties are subdivided into smaller towns and districts as well

For Police we should have Los Santos PD, San Diego PD and then California Highway Patrol to cover the rest of Southern San Andreas biggrin.gif

We will have male and female cops, police dogs, cops on bikes, in cars, in SUVs, in helicopters and also have SWAT, FBI and Army biggrin.gif

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

I pushed the red button!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Sheriffs... Hope they're as funny as on Reno 911

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

OP, you and I think alike. I was disappointed by the half assed way R* has tried to implement distinct counties and municipalities in the GTA universe. Alderney State Police using LCPD patrol cars in IV was such a FAIL (along with all the LIBERTY CITY license plates). Also, wtf was the SAPD supposed to be? States don't have police departments!

That said, V is looking pretty promising. The realistic license plates are a good sign. I hope we see the LSPD (Los Santos Police Department) in the city, the LSSD (Los Santos Sheriff's Department) in the small towns surrounding LS, and SAHP (San Andreas Highway Patrol) out on the highways in the middle of no where. If each department had its own uniforms, squad cars, and perhaps wanted system/criteria, I would be thrilled.

TreyCrll
  • TreyCrll

Forum Surfer

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

Nice setup OP. I just can't wait to get in a ridiculously long and wild police chase whilst running over as many bystanders as possible. I wanna make global news biggrin.gif

Helsinki
  • Helsinki

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hmmm... I must say I haven't really thought about this, but the idea is interesting. I've always found it fascinating how there's such a variety of police car liveries (and police departments, for that matter) in the US. Maybe it's because there's just one branch of law enforcement patrolling and responding to calls in Finland, and their vehicles all have the same pretty dull blue-and-white livery (below) sad.gif

user posted image

Compare that to:
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

In other words, yes, I'd very much like to see different cop cars (and tactics!) for different jurisdictions. The response times should be different, too, and in a rural area you shouldn't expect a SWAT team any time soon...

Thanks for an interesting post, USAPatriot smile.gif However, please note there already is an 88-page topic about police cars and while this thread isn't strictly about the vehicles, I'm sure the subject has been covered in that earlier thread as well. Here: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=491041

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

Dick Valor : I was thinking the same thing about the LCPD car fail with the Alderney State Police. I doubt GTA V will do the sheriff thing again, but I really hope they do. It would be nice. Imagine even a mounted posse, a sheriff's patrol on horses if you are out of reach in the woods on a mountain! or a sheriff's helicopter looking for you in the forests (if big enough an agency). A sheriff patrol boat in the rivers and streams, and indeed, it would be cool if Rockstar made them a bit slower in more rural areas. Don't expect SWAT to come in three seconds after a shooting along a highway in the middle of nowhere.

Helsinki : Thanks. I am fully aware of that police vehicle thread. I have a large presence in that thread, no worries. wink.gif This goes beyond just the fact people want a certain car, but for Rockstar to fully implement jurisdictions. Thanks.

The USA has over 17,000 municipal law enforcement agencies, which means many different police car designs. So it would be nice to see some variation in GTA V.

Helsinki
  • Helsinki

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (USAPatriot @ Tuesday, Oct 30 2012, 19:58)
The USA has over 17,000 municipal law enforcement agencies, which means many different police car designs.

Jesus mercie_blink.gif

Yeah, it sure would be an easy way for R* to add just that extra bit of realism (without taking away any fun, of course): if nothing else, they could just have different textures for different police depts, even if the car models remained the same.

QUOTE (USAPatriot)
What might be more difficult is to manage when and where these cars spawn and when they disappear between county lines.

I don't see that as a problem. They could have a set area for each department and allow the cop cars to continue in pursuit for a short distance outside that area, and have the next department's cars spawn and continue the chase. The first car(s) would then either make a u-turn or simply disappear.

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Helsinki @ Tuesday, Oct 30 2012, 20:14)
QUOTE (USAPatriot @ Tuesday, Oct 30 2012, 19:58)
The USA has over 17,000 municipal law enforcement agencies, which means many different police car designs.

Jesus mercie_blink.gif

Yeah, it sure would be an easy way for R* to add just that extra bit of realism (without taking away any fun, of course): if nothing else, they could just have different textures for different police depts, even if the car models remained the same.

QUOTE (USAPatriot)
What might be more difficult is to manage when and where these cars spawn and when they disappear between county lines.

I don't see that as a problem. They could have a set area for each department and allow the cop cars to continue in pursuit for a short distance outside that area, and have the next department's cars spawn and continue the chase. The first car(s) would then either make a u-turn or simply disappear.

It would be very easy to texture overlay a design over a police cruisers body. We say it in previous GTA's and in GTA IV with the LCPD and N.O.O.S.E. cruiser.

I like the idea of having units pursue out of their "zone" as you put it. In reality, if the chase went out of their jurisdiction, they would still continue in pursuit and help till they were no longer needed. The vehicles from the previous "zone" could still be in the chase, but when new vehicles start spawning they can be from the other areas zone.

Short example, chase starts in Red County, ends in Los Santos. The remaining Red County Sheriff cars will continue the pursuit until disabled, or lost, or no longer needed, and new spawning patrol cars involved in the pursuit would be Los Santos PD.

Helsinki
  • Helsinki

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (USAPatriot @ Tuesday, Oct 30 2012, 21:29)
In reality, if the chase went out of their jurisdiction, they would still continue in pursuit and help till they were no longer needed.  The vehicles from the previous "zone" could still be in the chase, but when new vehicles start spawning they can be from the other areas zone.

That reminds of a great scene in the film Cannonball Run. God I wish I could have a chase like this in GTA5 inlove.gif

- Another five minutes and you'll be in Arizona.
- Yeah, and we're gonna stay in pursuit until we catch 'em.

@3:01

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Helsinki @ Tuesday, Oct 30 2012, 21:41)
QUOTE (USAPatriot @ Tuesday, Oct 30 2012, 21:29)
In reality, if the chase went out of their jurisdiction, they would still continue in pursuit and help till they were no longer needed.  The vehicles from the previous "zone" could still be in the chase, but when new vehicles start spawning they can be from the other areas zone.

That reminds of a great scene in the film Cannonball Run. God I wish I could have a chase like this in GTA5 inlove.gif

- Another five minutes and you'll be in Arizona.
- Yeah, and we're gonna stay in pursuit until we catch 'em.

@3:01

Oh nice! Great scene! Lol! Wonder why they didn't get some more units out there to help. wink.gif Thanks for the responses.

I guess this topic wasn't popular for discussion. Too bad, I tried. smile.gif

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

So many threads are being slammed down by people posting copies of threads. Sorry for this cheap tactic, but anyone got anything they want to add?

Another thing in San Andreas specifically that I liked were the Ranger trucks in the rural areas. But I wished that they also had normal cars.

I liked how the Las Venturas Police had older police cars, the bigger boxier Dodge Diplomat type cars. They were neat to see, which makes me think. What if there were multiple municipal police departments. Maybe one has Vapid cruisers as there main fleet car, and another agency might have Bravodo Buffalos! Just like in real life, not all agencies have the same cars (Fords, Dodges, Chevys) and it would be nice to see a variation.

Something GTA IV did right was the variation in police vehicle types. They had the Cruiser, Patrol, and Buffalo.

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

Nice thread man.

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:13 AM

I'd definitely like to see a comeback of counties in GTA. I'd definitely like to see more than 1 type of police car for all counties. I've thought of parodies:

Los Angeles County = Los Santos County
Orange County = Amarillo County
San Bernardino and Riverside County (merged into one) = Del Perro County
Ventura and Santa Barbara County (merged into one) = Habana County
Kern County = Motts County
San Diego County = Los Puerta County
Imperial County = Royal County
Tijuana Municipality (Counties here are called Municipalities) = Vistajuana Municipality
Tecate and Mexicali Municipality = Mexiandreas Municipality

All counties/municipalities have separate emergency services. I'd love to see that, but it's highly unlikely. I think Rockstar would rather create a "State Police" for all the areas, while major cities have their own service. Mexico actually has a National Police, so that would make sense. CHP is the closest thing that comes to state police in California. Tijuana has its own police department also.

I think we'll also see courthouses, etc because those little details probably won't be missed. We didn't see much of it in other GTAs outside San Andreas because it was restricted to one municipality.

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

I know it would be the easy way out again for Rockstar to take in rural areas just to make a state police. I'm sure they will have a "CHP" knockoff, but at this point, it is too early to know.

It would be nice to see a sheriff's office or two in the game in the rural areas that were more then just a sign with state police units parked in it.

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

Hmmmm, what type of variation of division should agencies have? Of course certain departments and their quality of units and vehicles should vary.

Helsinki
  • Helsinki

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:29 AM Edited by Helsinki, 01 November 2012 - 10:31 AM.

Live audio from Los Angeles - radioreference.com

As the player in GTA games is always able to hear (some) police radio, it'd be interesting to hear something related to the different police departments. This would be a very simple feature to implement: basically they'd just have to record the names of different jurisdictions/departments and have them announce the handover when another dept takes over (like explained in one of my previous posts).

Something like this:
QUOTE (GTA5)
"San Andreas Highway Patrol is taking over. Thanks, guys!"

This would make the chases more personal, as opposed to the current, somewhat faceless system, where cops just spawn and disappear.

MAJORMANN
  • MAJORMANN

GTA MOTHA F*CKA

• Members

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

I think they'll do this, given the size of the map

Helsinki
  • Helsinki

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (MAJORMANN @ Thursday, Nov 1 2012, 12:05)
I think they'll do this, given the size of the map

No.

In the past 3D GTAs, R* would have had the chance to introduce tons of interesting stuff with very little expense, but the team is too big. A single staff member can't just introduce new stuff even if it took him two minutes to implement, as it's become a corporate game. In the 1980s many games were done by two guys or so, so it was very easy to include new ideas in their games. That's no longer the case, sadly.

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

With the new images released, we can certainly see it takes us into rural areas. Grapeseed is a farming community or farm that appears to maybe be based on the unincoporated town of Grapevine, California. Also the Zucando River is in my personal guess based on the Santa Ana River. One is northwest of Los Angeles in real life and the other is east-ish. The mountains in the backgrounds seem different as well. But for sure the environment in both of those leaked images is different.

That could possibly tell us there is at least two different counties (assuming for sure) the game will have counties in them, and not just a big massive area. Though I still doubt that they will implement a sheriff's office in each county, which would make me frown, but still love the game.

user posted image
3 of the 5 images are within Los Santos. So expect LSPD. Do you think the Vinewood Hills might have some private security? Might be an interesting thing. We've seen private security before, but what if they had patrol cars as well, or a golf cart around a movie lot? Sure they couldn't chase you in a patrol car, but they could ask you questions and tell you to leave.

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

To further add to the previous in more of an imaginative sense. Imagine committing a crime in Grapeseed, which is obviously rural. In past games, you could create a crime in this rural area and still have full police services attacking you in a matter of minutes. Well what if that wasn't the case anymore? What is simply a sheriff's deputy pulled up to the scene to talk to you? It took more time for them to arrive and investigate. They might just try to talk to you. If they know there is an armed suspect, they may take even longer to wait for more units to arrive before they move in on you. Previous GTA's just had hordes of cops go in (while taking cover in GTA IV) they still just tried to take you do. Why did it always result in that? How about them negotiating to stop, and actually stop shooting you if you maybe press a certain button to "give up" or because you don't want to die.

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

As nice as the above is, I doubt it'll happen as it'd need a reworking of the wanted system, which R* seem reluctant to do at all, I think it'd be a neat feature for players then they would just not use it or skip it entirely

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:33 PM Edited by USAPatriot, 03 November 2012 - 07:55 PM.

QUOTE (Celticfang @ Friday, Nov 2 2012, 19:55)
As nice as the above is, I doubt it'll happen as it'd need a reworking of the wanted system, which R* seem reluctant to do at all, I think it'd be a neat feature for players then they would just not use it or skip it entirely

One just has to hope. As pointed out in previous GTA's, they made everything to do the multiple agencies, but never fully implemented it.

Just imagine being pursued by the local sheriff out on a dirt road someplace. It would be pretty epic.

user posted image

Small town municipal police in some small town, maybe having older, beat up cars.

user posted image

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

Sorry to double post, but I've been thinking. The new GI article says "Blaine County" as a area Trevor lives. Based on how they set that location up, it seems like it would point to a county sheriff, and not state patrol or something. I would actually be shocked at this point if GTA V didn't use County sheriff's for rural areas and actually have multiple law enforcement agencies for areas. Think of a proud little town with a clean cut courthouse and sheriff's office. A small town very proud of what they have trying to keep the main street shops open. Then you can also picture the sad run down towns in the middle of nowhere too (Which is where Trevor seemed to come from). I guess I am just picturing Trevor to have more interactions with a local sheriff then some high tech agency like the Los Santos PD or state police in some areas.

Because Blaine Count is mentioned, I am going to assume GTA is broken up into counties (thankfully) and would be real surprised not se see each county have a county seat with a local sheriff's office. It would be fun to see how Rockstar could make each county seem unique and different and provide them with different tools and methods to keep up with the criminal side of society. Maybe one county, like Blaine County is really poor. Maybe they receive hand me down patrol cars, while another county (a better county) gets better vehicles and units. It might be interesting to explore and make people think twice about where they rob, or break laws. Some counties might be so remote an rural, it takes a long time for law enforcement to come . . . if they even show up.

So here's to hoping from county, municipal, and state levels of law enforcement. Further speculation or discussion anyone?

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

Your threads are just awesome. icon14.gif
I'd give you a medal, but for now, have a cookie cookie.gif

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

We have our first bit evidence of a different agency within the game that isn't Los Santos PD, FIB, etc. A sheriff's office might be in the game based on this image! Lets check it out!

user posted image

The roof appears to say "PD" but not sure why. The car is a white vehicle with small markings on it. The front and side door have seven black marks we can't read. BUT, the word "SHERIFF" has 7 letters, which could fill in this 7 black markings. There is also a circular logo on the door. It seems specalulatory, but still fun.

Also below I break down the new vehicles we see from the LSPD.

user posted image
  • GTALE likes this

Shadylasse
  • Shadylasse

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

I'm certainly sure that the roof says "03" and not PD. Lots of police units has their unit number on the top in order to identify who they are if a chopper is in an operation along with them, be it the news or a police helicopter. The text on the top of police cars are usually turning the way that "03" would, considering the top of the letters would be by the lightbar, and the bottom by the rear window. That seems the most logic, and that's how police units worldwide do it too.
Neither do I see how "PD" and "Sheriff" are connected.

Mr Black
  • Mr Black

10 Years on GTA Forums!

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Great thread man! cookie.gif

I too think like you, i like the added immersion factor of there being counties in the game and different law enforcement in different juristictions and not just one vast expanse with one police force.

It's one thing i really liked about SA, and im really hoping they pull it off better in V it would add so much more depth to the game!

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

So in all the recent interviews, previews, and recent headlines, everything has brought up Blaine County. At first they made it seem Blaine County was just the desert area around the Salton Sea remake, but in a recent IGN article, they claimed Blaine County included "Mt. Chiliad." Whatever they said, it was very much the complete opposite of what they said in the previous line and was confusing.

So my worry is . . . will Blaine County be the only county? Will everything surrounding Los Santos simply be BLAINE County with sheriff cars only? Odd we have not heard of other counties yet. It seems highly unlikely there being only one other county in the game, but you never know.

Also in terms of jursidictions, when do you think the LSPD and other agencies will transitions to patrol areas? Will we ever see sheriff vehicles on the outskirts of Los Santos? Visa versa if they are driving on the highway? Thoughts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users