PC Version of GTA V Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20,084 replies to this topic
DlZZEE
  • DlZZEE

PC peasant

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:00 PM Edited by DizzeeXL, 03 May 2013 - 12:08 PM.

When "a bit longer" is 6 months then wait for PC version loses any meaning. In six months you can completely get tired of the game, not to mention there's gonna be a ton of new AAA releases.

Game2048
  • Game2048

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (Adriaan @ Friday, May 3 2013, 04:41)
@lh1
I hardly think that's been an argument (especially on this forum).

I can certainly understand the frustrations from PC fans when they see something great (and imagine an even greater version with DX11, more multiplayer slots etc.) and know that they will have to wait a bit longer to play it.

Adriaan, Since you are clearly have good understanding of everything related to GTA - what do you think, what are the chances that Rockstar will break the tradition and we will get GTA on PC at least in October instead of 2014?

AirWolf856
  • AirWolf856

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

I think R* will get their current-gen console money first, then release a next-gen console version along with the PC at the same time. Because of the R* silence on the PC version, it does seem like it will be 6 months after the current-gen console release. I think it sucks because I'm not going to buy a console just for one game even if it is GTA V.

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Who knows maybe the PC version is already done, or being worked on at Rockstar Toronto and just needs to be announced.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (zerofreeze @ Friday, May 3 2013, 13:48)
Who knows maybe the PC version is already done, or being worked on at Rockstar Toronto and just needs to be announced.

I think you're correct with the latter statement, except for the studio. It's very likely that R* Leeds is the studio that's working on the game, the same studio that ported L.A. Noire and developed Max Payne 3 for the PC platform.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

I honestly do not understand where the doubters are coming from. Originally there was a lot of doubt surrounding the PC version of GTA 4 and it was understandable at the time. Before GTA 4 Rockstar had pretty much abandoned the PC (the last game they made on the PC was a god awful version of Bully). Not only that but the PC platform at the time was experiencing a bit of a dip in popularity and then you had to take into account they would have to port the entire engine to the PC.

Now things are different, firstly Rockstar has been paying "more" attention to the PC platform after bringing nearly all their big hitters to the PC (notable exception is of course RDR but that has been explained 5 billion times). The RAGE engine is "working" (and I use that term loosely) on the PC it does not make sense for them to go to the expense of porting the RAGE engine to the PC and only use it for 2 games (GTA 4 and MP 3). The PC platform has had a huge resurgence in popularity and we have often seen Rockstar using the PC platform and mods to crow about how wonderful their game is.

Finally the biggest motivator for Rockstar is of course the Next Gen consoles. Both Sony and Microsoft are going the PC route, that is both consoles will use pretty much the same hardware including using the x86 instruction set (that the PC has been using for decades). In other words a PC version of GTA 5 would take minimal work to get it running perfectly fine on the next lot of consoles.

The PC version and Next Gen version of GTA 5 is "free money" to Rockstar, it will require very little outlay and they will sell at least 3 - 4 million on the PC alone. However you will only hear about the PC and Next Gen version AFTER the 360/PS3 version has been released. The main reason being they do not want people to go "oh I will wait for the PC/Next Gen version". They want you double dipping and that is why there is nothing about the PC version.

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None
  • Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Friday, May 3 2013, 16:00)
The PC version and Next Gen version of GTA 5 is "free money" to Rockstar, it will require very little outlay and they will sell at least 3 - 4 million on the PC alone. However you will only hear about the PC and Next Gen version AFTER the 360/PS3 version has been released. The main reason being they do not want people to go "oh I will wait for the PC/Next Gen version". They want you double dipping and that is why there is nothing about the PC version.

Bingo. Good to see you posting around these parts again, Charlie. smile.gif

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (PrometheusX @ Friday, May 3 2013, 13:58)
QUOTE (zerofreeze @ Friday, May 3 2013, 13:48)

I think you're correct with the latter statement, except for the studio. It's very likely that R* Leeds is the studio that's working on the game, the same studio that ported L.A. Noire and developed Max Payne 3 for the PC platform.

Well I thought it would be Toronto, because GTA IV was ported by them. But maybe it could be Leeds this time we'll see smile.gif

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (Azazel @ Friday, May 3 2013, 15:12)

Hey there Azazel, good to see one of the old faces around still around icon14.gif . I won't make a habit of posting in the GTA 5 section since it isn't really a game I am interested in (Rockstar did a truly wonderful job of killing any love I have for the franchise).

However it is gratifying to see that GTAF is still offering PC gamers a place to discuss GTA related stuff for their platform of choice. I hope they will keep this thread going for other PC gamers that eventually find their way here. I still remember the old "will it won't it" GTA 4 thread, damn good times and thousands of pages later we got GTA 4. Rest assured if you are waiting for GTA 5 on the PC it will happen sooner or later.

MuXu96
  • MuXu96

Peon

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

Well if they want me to double buy it, they got me caause I will biggrin.gif

mawerick_mc
  • mawerick_mc

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (AirWolf856 @ Friday, May 3 2013, 13:00)
I think R* will get their current-gen console money first, then release a next-gen console version along with the PC at the same time. Because of the R* silence on the PC version, it does seem like it will be 6 months after the current-gen console release. I think it sucks because I'm not going to buy a console just for one game even if it is GTA V.

Let's hope PC version comes together with next-gen consoles version. As i expect that one to com +/- 6 months after current gen release. But if they release PC version only 6 months after next-gen version, that will be Fall 2014 sad.gif that would be pretty sad

Kipsta77
  • Kipsta77

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (Adriaan @ Friday, May 3 2013, 15:41)
@lh1
I hardly think that's been an argument (especially on this forum).

I can certainly understand the frustrations from PC fans when they see something great (and imagine an even greater version with DX11, more multiplayer slots etc.) and know that they will have to wait a bit longer to play it.

How much longer do YOU think?

Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Friday, May 3 2013, 17:26)
I won't make a habit of posting in the GTA 5 section since it isn't really a game I am interested in (Rockstar did a truly wonderful job of killing any love I have for the franchise). 

^will be first in line for gta5 midnight launch party

mirmihir
  • mirmihir

Jerichoholic

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (Deadly Target @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 06:13)
I won't make a habit of posting in the GTA 5 section since it isn't really a game I am interested in (Rockstar did a truly wonderful job of killing any love I have for the franchise). 

Umm... NO. Charlie's word is golden.

Joining date is a pretty good indicator of stuff like this.

haarp
  • haarp

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (mirmihir @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 08:32)

No one cares about join date, the fact he doesn't even like Rockstar GTAs makes him irrelevant. He's said nothing new at all.

ViciousLuke
  • ViciousLuke

Ermahgerd GTA V

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (haarp @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 10:06)
QUOTE (mirmihir @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 08:32)

No one cares about join date, the fact he doesn't even like Rockstar GTAs makes him irrelevant. He's said nothing new at all.

So everyone should like GTA or gtfo? Srsly?

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Friday, May 3 2013, 18:26)

Hey there Azazel, good to see one of the old faces around still around icon14.gif . I won't make a habit of posting in the GTA 5 section since it isn't really a game I am interested in (Rockstar did a truly wonderful job of killing any love I have for the franchise).

How did they kill your love for the franchise?

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

People just don't understand that they have to follow agreements & stuff like that + they'll earn more money by selling all their console versions, check if the game is buggy or not & stuff, then release a PC version after that with bug fixes & when all the contracts/agreements are done. Every game is developed on PC... I don't understand how people can be so dumb to think they won't release it on PC. And don't use RDR as an argument, R* San Diego does not make PC ports.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

It is their choice. They will try and see if porting to PC will pay off. It's not much of work, but they might be afraid that by the time they have PC port ready, the graphics might be dated and unfortunately most PC gamers are graphic whores. And there's also the problem with piracy which takes away most of the PC market.

In the end, they certainly would earn from PC version, but they might decide that possible earnings are not enough to bother and would rather work on porting it to next-gen, or make expansions, other games etc..

While I'm still pretty sure that there will be a PC version, as they always announce it after the console version is released, I'm just saying the possibility of it not being ported is indeed real but I give it a 15% change for that at most. After all, PC is where the home is biggrin.gif

loony979
  • loony979

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

However it is gratifying to see that GTAF is still offering PC gamers a place to discuss GTA related stuff for their platform of choice. I hope they will keep this thread going for other PC gamers that eventually find their way here. I still remember the old "will it won't it" GTA 4 thread, damn good times and thousands of pages later we got GTA 4. Rest assured if you are waiting for GTA 5 on the PC it will happen sooner or later.

cookie.gif - Spoken like a true prophet - Good to see the old war horses restoring the lusta - cookie.gif
! I thnik you may be right we may get it sooner then most think. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

I also thought of this, if you were a Rockstar employee wouldn't you want to also play this game on the PC.

Big Danny K
  • Big Danny K

GTA V PC - JAN 27, 2015

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Since GTA 3 there's a "tradition" of rockstar to release GTA's PC versions 6 months after the consoles, check these release dates:
GTA 3 - PS2: October 22nd 2001
GTA 3 - PC: May 20th 2002
-
GTA VC - PS2: October 27th 2002
GTA VC - PC: May 12 2003
-
GTA SA - PS2: October 26th 2004
GTA SA - PC: June 7th 2005
-
GTA IV - Xbox 360 & PS3: April 29th 2008
GTA IV - PC: December 2nd 2008
--------------------------------------
That means:
GTA V - Xbox 360 & PS3: September 17th 2013
GTA V - PC: March-May 2014

haarp
  • haarp

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

Max Payne 3
Console: May 15
PC: May 31

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

I believe the PC version was announced alongside the consoles' in the case of Max Payne 3.

Big Danny K
  • Big Danny K

GTA V PC - JAN 27, 2015

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (haarp @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 18:31)
Max Payne 3
Console: May 15
PC: May 31

Correct me if I'm wrong but in Max Payne 3's case the PC version was announced with the console versions, so GTA V is an entirely different case

uJhatafart00
  • uJhatafart00

Zarrogante

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Guys, in my opinion it's very likely they will announce pc version around Christmas, and then we'll get it in early Spring 2014 (maybe April). Sadly, no way pc version coming along with console's one, or 15 days after, that's just impossibile. Max Payne 3 was a totally different case.

ViciousLuke
  • ViciousLuke

Ermahgerd GTA V

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

They will announce it only after console versions are out.

Big Danny K
  • Big Danny K

GTA V PC - JAN 27, 2015

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (uJhatafart00 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 18:51)
Guys, in my opinion it's very likely they will announce pc version around Christmas, and then we'll get it in early Spring 2014 (maybe April). Sadly, no way pc version coming along with console's one, or 15 days after, that's just impossibile. Max Payne 3 was a totally different case.

That's what I'm saying all the time

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

Uncut

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Respected 2012
    Most Helpful 2012
    Best Returning Member 2012
    Best Contributor [GTA Series] 2012
    Best Forum Ledby 2012
    Best Moderator 2012

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (Game2048 @ Friday, May 3 2013, 14:03)
Adriaan, Since you are clearly have good understanding of everything related to GTA - what do you think, what are the chances that Rockstar will break the tradition and we will get GTA on PC at least in October instead of 2014?

QUOTE (gabrielkipp77 @ Saturday, May 4 2013, 07:48)
How much longer do YOU think?

I don't know.

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Friday, May 3 2013, 19:26)

However it is gratifying to see that GTAF is still offering PC gamers a place to discuss GTA related stuff for their platform of choice.  I hope they will keep this thread going for other PC gamers that eventually find their way here.  I still remember the old "will it won't it" GTA 4 thread, damn good times and thousands of pages later we got GTA 4.  Rest assured if you are waiting for GTA 5 on the PC it will happen sooner or later.

Well, well... look who decided to show up wow.gif . And yes, being a forum for an upcoming game, it only makes sense to allow topics to speculate on unknown or unannounced aspects of the game (including the potential of future releases on other platforms than those announced and the potential possibilities/features on such platforms through speculation).

Game2048
  • Game2048

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

I very much doubt that they will change their traditions, but still, as usually, I hope that they'll do it.

Of course, I understand the reasons why they do so with the PC market. But I can't accept this as a consumer, because I bought every GTA game and I bought the most expensive edition of GTA IV - as I do with every game of my favorite franchises. Not because of content in this edition, but because in such way I want to thank the developers for a great game. So, of course, I can not perceive Rockstar's attitude to PC market and to me personally in a good way. I'm not really angry, I understand everything, but it's still unpleasantly

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users