PC Version of GTA V Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20,084 replies to this topic
Fireprufe15
  • Fireprufe15

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

Why are some people thinking that the PC announcement might come on October 10th? Is that a date of importance?

Thats when the jap GTAV releases. The pc version announcement is always before the jap release.

Has this always historically been the case? If so, then holy sh*t, it might hold some water. 

Yup, historically this has always been like it. Although the gaps were much larger so I dont know. Those poor japs were getting way more screwed over than us PC gamers.
  • Albert Kike likes this

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:48 AM Edited by brian., 25 September 2013 - 01:51 AM.

"PC gaming is under attack by console manufacturers."

Luckily console gaming is killing itself faster than PC gaming. I cant really see more than two more gens of consoles. The current business model is just super flawed. And nobody bargained on Valve to mess things up :) good ol valve.

Also yeah the robot eye kinect - already been done.

Agreed. And the robot eye, yep, it has been done. In the other room, the one hidden from the prying eye of those who wanted to see what MIT is up to, the terminator was there. :p

Seriously, the better games become, the better robotics become. The more realistic the AI, the better it works in real life. Games mimic life - for the physics engine to work, it needs rules from life. This is how it will happen. Games will eventually cross into instead of a character on a screen shooting at you, it's a robot pointing a gun at you.

All of the navigation, the gps, the navmeshes, the "square" design of games and the "square" design of modern architecture - it is way easier to the robot to read a cube than a catherderal, you see? Ever wonder why we stopped making pretty buildings all the sudden in the mid 1900s? Because it's easier to compute cubes. 

Technology has known our present was possible since the 1800s. Polygons, ai, physics - it's all based on things that predate computers. It only works on the game because it has been told how it works in real life.

You know how valve makes zombie games? Zombies are us. We are the zombies. Pod people? We are them. iPod people.

The scale replicas of the turrets? A slap in our faces - it's what is coming. That turret in portal, it's totally doable today in real life.

If it can be done in a game, it can be done in real life - always remember.

No, we can't run through walls. But do you know why the guy in USAF thought he could? Cause he saw it being done in a computer, and was briefed that the computer works by following the laws of reality.

20 years later, we got the personal computer. We were doing computer programs by hand on paper years and years and centuries prior. The polygon is centuries old. People who were making the first radios knew that one day there would be a TV. People making the first TV's new that one day it would be interactive.

Hardware just wasn't there - but the technological theory, is as old as the dirt in my underwear, we knew video games would be like this before the first arcade ever opened. Hardware just had to catch up to our math.

Albert Kike
  • Albert Kike

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:50 AM Edited by Albert Kike, 25 September 2013 - 01:51 AM.

Why are some people thinking that the PC announcement might come on October 10th? Is that a date of importance?

Thats when the jap GTAV releases. The pc version announcement is always before the jap release.

I've got doubts. I think the max payne pc delay of weeks, followed by the 6 month delay of initial GTA V, i think it's optimistic and still somewhat realistic to believe it will come sooner than the past, but try as they may (and we know they have from files), it seems they are just "not quite there yet".

Let's hope, I hope it'll be in my PC by christmas.

But these "recent" code files may not be so recent. We have to consider that they may be part of old builds/bug reports. If the dates that were discovered from the bug reports on them being over a year and a half old are true, and they appear to be so, then we probably shouldn't be relying on that for how the current game may be going. 

Fireprufe15
  • Fireprufe15

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:54 AM Edited by Fireprufe15, 25 September 2013 - 01:59 AM.

Heh, Brian, but we have Superman video games :). Another lucky factor is that although corporates want the world to trend to closed systems, the more intelligent people are trending away from it. Msft wants to lock up windows? We go linux. Apple releases bullsh*t locked up devices? We go android.

You mention the turrets, sure ofc that can be done. The portals and gels however dont apply to real physics. Afiak anyway :).

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

brian, simmer down or I'll give you a time-out. Thanks.

Albert Kike
  • Albert Kike

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:22 AM Edited by Albert Kike, 25 September 2013 - 02:23 AM.

He's already simmered down.

burtcopy2.png

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:25 AM Edited by _Kindled_, 25 September 2013 - 02:25 AM.

burtcopy2.png

That your signature? 

Oh, nevermind. :monocle:

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:53 AM

burtcopy2.png

That your signature? 

Oh, nevermind. :monocle:

I know, it makes me question my sexuality too. It's the chest hair, isn't it?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:25 AM

Oh come on, it's obviously the moustache.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:29 AM Edited by brian., 25 September 2013 - 03:45 AM.

I'm simmered. I'm simmered. Like a good gravy. Here, I'll make up with it with some class A analysis :p

I've got doubts. I think the max payne pc delay of weeks, followed by the 6 month delay of initial GTA V, i think it's optimistic and still somewhat realistic to believe it will come sooner than the past, but try as they may (and we know they have from files), it seems they are just "not quite there yet".

Let's hope, I hope it'll be in my PC by christmas.

But these "recent" code files may not be so recent. We have to consider that they may be part of old builds/bug reports. If the dates that were discovered from the bug reports on them being over a year and a half old are true, and they appear to be so, then we probably shouldn't be relying on that for how the current game may be going. 

Yea, but see the thing is, I mean, for example. RAGE has a Blizzard mode. That's unused in GTA V so far, and it's just "Snowy Weather" I believe it's called?

But it was used in Max Payne 3. I am open to this being wrong, but let's assume it isn't.

Many of the things you find in all the PC related effects - it's just, there's a large, broad set of things pointing to the PC version (the screenshots having the effects I pointed out long ago listed in the game files as pc only, the dx11 stuff)

But we have to bear in mind - the engine is one thing. You know, the tech, the middle platform - RAGE - if you see the right files around, you'll see "gta5" is a subfolder under "maps" folder, under a larger technology base that encapsulates the projects like GTA V, Max Payne is probably sitting in  there, Agent, but the discovered file structures and everything, they can only show us the GTA V entry, because the release build only takes what is relevant to itself. So it won't show the rest of the folders in "maps" like it shows the "gta5" folder.

Forgive me for not having that one on hand, perhaps someone else does or remembers about when it was posted, I only checked a couple of pages and may have even seen it elsewhere, so I stopped.

Now, knowing that RAGE is a platform that runs all of Rockstar's games, it's sure to have all kinds of ghosts from even previous titles entirely. 'Dat Blizzard weather, right?

But all of this considered, we still have those very effects in the screenshots (trevor and exploding house example correlates to my claim of bokeh depth of field months ago, confirmed for GTA V through adaptivedof entires), we've got the presale of keys going on already, we've got hard copy presale going on, we've got the Japan release sooner now, we've got all the news about "we've closed the gap for pc gamers" and how it's something they've worked toward for a long time etc.

So it's really okay to expect a sooner release this time in many ways. They want to do it. And I assure you, no developer wants any platform to wait unless one specific platform pays them significantly more than any projected losses from waiting on other platforms.

For example, and I do this a lot, drawing from other industry examples, CoD gets gigantic microsoft yearly events for unveils and tournaments and gets all kinds of money to make the DLC exclusive for a month to their platform. They cannot afford six months. Because by then, the model that CoD uses being yearly, they will not only fall too far behind on the season, they will also lose a lot of the revenue that is potential from it. A month is okay. 2 costs too much, and microsoft is only buying a month, which is all ATVI is selling, because the season needs to be maintained and profitable across all platforms, a month is okay, and worth a large sum and massive funding and being a main line xbox selling point and all that MS talks about and gloats about - that's all they can afford.

GTA IV had a deal. 3 months was it? Or was it 6? On the DLC. It had a simultaneous release with consoles, and became GFWL for PC, and waited a while to come out, which was probably just part of the deal - "money, and you give us DLC first, and wait to do PC to help sell xboxes, and uh, also give it GFWL"

Rockstar is like "what? we already have securom and social club in it, no."

And MS is all "50 million dollars" (the pay they got)

And you can't say no to 50 million dollars in 2008.

But CoD is probably getting double that yearly (though the deal is probably in the billions and lasting over the course of years) just for one month exclusivity. But it's okay, they still end up raking on their own end anyway. It is surely in the billions too, because of the MS CoD reveal events, all the stuff they do, they really do throw money at the fans these days. I'm speculating but from the view of applying the typical.

For GTA V? Clearly, Sony paid the most for being the marketing lead in the game and did a lot for R* there, but not necessarily enough for any exclusivity - we won't know until the GTA O launch is over and they move on. We still don't know who gets DLC first, you know? If you've got to pick, the logical one is PS3 from what we've seen so far.

But yea, much of that stuff can be global things, things that aren't even pertaining to GTA, if it was all we had - but we have a lot more to go on, it's getting long now and I've lost a lot of the points I wanted to make in putting these ones down. 

I know I wanted to get the bit about the gap between PC releases in there and all that in that paragraph, but also to really reiterate, it is *never* the best practice to stagger the release of your PC version (I say PC version because that is typically the platform that waits). 

When you do stagger it, you keep very quiet, you do your best to get the very most of the platforms it comes out on and you hope that the later platforms do okay. I'm totally sure Rockstar is confident in their product all the way out to the 6 month mark, especially if the stuff we do not know (aftermarket life of GTA V/DLC etc) is big and well received enough. But I know they are not dumb as well - they've had deals with Sony for the III era, sony got the games first, and PC waited. They had a deal with IV and Sony and PC both waited for extra content, and PC basically was halted artificially to help the xbox, which is probably why their guys had enough time to twidlle thumbs and make their theatre mode user friendly and add that :p Who really knows? I don't. BUT -

It is never ever a good idea to leave a platform waiting. Everything we see them do is clever handling of the deals they've made and the development delays they've had, but whenever you can, you get that PC version out ASAP, because it makes the most money when 3 platforms can perform at once (unless someone pays you enough instead), rather than having 2 platforms showing a console optimized version of your game (artists get very mad lol) and then a PC version coming along "eventually".

Most console developers with deals have to outsource ports because they are too poor to make the game without the console deal in the first place, for example.

Also, at this point, with their desire to close the gap for fans "conveniently" coinciding with the gap between PC and console (old and new) being larger than ever before (ie, pc is more powerful at new console launch than new consoles than it ever was before, and growing just as fast as ever) - they closed their gaps for business. It's just nice to tell the fans "they were listened to" sometimes. You never want gaps, they handled the gaps they've had while growing themselves as a company and refining their technology to support multi-platform development masterfully and with class, making sure a gap remained profitable by offering favor deals and such, but now they are overcoming the side of compensating their shortcomings, and now you'll start seeing those PC releases sooner and simultaneously, and they'll be more profitable easier that way, too.

Basically, "pc gamers get no love" isn't true, we're the favorite platform, especially now, it's just that developers needed to grow, create infrastructure, both technologically and in business, they needed to break away from the stuff the console publishers and manufacturers make them do. If you think it's bad now, let me tell you, publishing on Nintendo was horrible for developers back then. Their games would be pushed back to make room for first party (just like they are today)

in fact yea, GTA IV was pushed back for the 50 mil. To push the pc version back, to give timed exclusivity to xbox, both things helping xbox, and to make room for Halo's launch just days before it was meant to destroy it. A first party basically pushed GTA IV back. With money. I remember proving that once, but can't remember the details.

GTA IV was supposed to come out in the same window as Halo. Halo went forward and month and GTA went back 6 or something like that. And lo and behold, MS had all that other special treatment as well. Just like good ol' nintendo has been doing since the 80s :p

But it's all ending now, the evidence is staggering right? I think it's safe to say that IF GTA V comes in any way after 2013, it's because that was paid for. Because we've been looking at the pc version in media for 2 years now :p

Also, all that stuff I said about CoD being recorded for training robots by interpolating the data and teaching them how humans navigate - that is all about to blow minds when Ghosts comes out. The squads you'll be able to create, are going to make people lose their minds at, even though it won't be perfect, you really will feel like you are playing against real players.

Soon enough, that behavior will be used in the real world. And we were the lab rats, in so few words. And we all know what we do with vermin. I'm just sayin.

kerya69
  • kerya69

Crackhead

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:23 AM

bkbp.jpg

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:34 AM

Its happening often enough that the new generic response for all to say to PC is that. No longer focused on current consoles etc nothing to say and so on, now everyone gets "stay tuned"

It's coming.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:46 AM Edited by Xerukal, 25 September 2013 - 04:52 AM.

I can't be the only one that's gonna be blasting the entire Payday 1 and 2 soundtrack on the in-game custom radio station (Independence FM?) during all the heists. 

Right? 

I mean, just listen to these;

http://www.youtube.c...fOD2lGWpcc&t=3m

http://www.youtube.c...0SjH_rI&t=1m48s

http://www.youtube.c...hWVDjgRUg&t=58s

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wizqYIqZHz0

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=u6gngVLrByM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=V2uUapPoG0c

Skipped the assault wave build-up time on most of them to just sample the immediate feel. Love 'em. 

Fireboyd78
  • Fireboyd78

Strangely Animated

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

Prepare for the high-definition explosion.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:04 AM

This is gonna tear my macbook in half.

OR VISA-VERSA BABY

• brian. likes this

lh1
  • lh1

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

bkbp.jpg

Just wondering if that P.S part is real lol 

Fireboyd78
  • Fireboyd78

Strangely Animated

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

I was bored earlier and made a stylesheet for the XML file:

https://dl.dropboxus...TABuildsXML.zip

Just make sure you put both files in the same directory and open the XML file in your internet browser. It's nothing fancy, but at least it's a lot nicer to read.

• wolfdog likes this

Albert Kike
  • Albert Kike

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

bkbp.jpg

hnnnng10.jpg

• brian. likes this

Albert Kike
  • Albert Kike

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

Where can I go to email them the same question? I want to see if they respond with the same statement, then we can know for sure that it's more than just  a simple coincidence since that would be the 3 time they respond with the same thing. 

lh1
  • lh1

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

Where can I go to email them the same question? I want to see if they respond with the same statement, then we can know for sure that it's more than just  a simple coincidence since that would be the 3 time they respond with the same thing. 

Here

mouthoff@rockstargames.com

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

heh, by the time they get that email, they will have seen this, they are so onto us lol.

1987_EC
  • 1987_EC

PC gamer

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

Prepare for the high-definition explosion.

oh yeah

Acek
  • Acek

Dont care about GTAV anymore even if it comes to PC

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

is anyone else curious if R* guys are reading this tread? like 24/7 surveillance.. :p well we probably lost them in the MMO section  :panic:

And Brian: shorter posts.. to much to read xD

but yeah.. listen to brian guys.. he knows his sh*t xD

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

is anyone else curious if R* guys are reading this tread? like 24/7 surveillance.. :p well we probably lost them in the MMO section  :panic:

And Brian: shorter posts.. to much to read xD

but yeah.. listen to brian guys.. he knows his sh*t xD

Thanks for bringing it back up.

Acek
  • Acek

Dont care about GTAV anymore even if it comes to PC

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

Its happening often enough that the new generic response for all to say to PC is that. No longer focused on current consoles etc nothing to say and so on, now everyone gets "stay tuned"

It's coming.

i got the same one

2XSXKWF.png

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:40 AM Edited by Sol86star, 25 September 2013 - 08:41 AM.

Rockstar if u'r reading this, trash god damn yoga!!!!!!! from GTA V

having all three protags on one pool table would be Ultra-cool, bad ass feature

Spoiler

Dylricho
  • Dylricho

Trippy Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

I only read the language we type in, as will the rest of the world in due time.

So, there is gonna be way more players online then we bargained for?

No, there is going to be max 16 on console and max 32 on PC. They will use 32 players and enhanced graphics to sell the nexgen version, too.

No, those bushes won't be tessellated, they will have more alpha shrubbery on them though with high texture setting.

I sure hope so. I'm questioning my decision to purchase the GTA V w/ PS3 500 GB bundle now. I may just wait for the PS4 version.

PandaTa
  • PandaTa

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

bkbp.jpg

So, this guy apparantly doesn't have any kids to respond for him while playing.

The piece in the middle is a standard copy-paste responds as u can see, but the start and end is a real guy wanting to play. Im pretty sure of it. And yes it might be a hint from him about it hopefully not beeing to long.

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

I seriously hope they announce the PC version in October and release it at the end of the same month.

That would make me really happy.

PandaTa
  • PandaTa

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

I seriously hope they announce the PC version in October and release it at the end of the same month.

That would make me really happy.

same for everyone that reads this topic, just my guess. :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users