PC Version of GTA V Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20,084 replies to this topic
Fireprufe15
  • Fireprufe15

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

I'm left with one question. If this game was being developed for PC alongside the consoles by North, what the hell game was Leeds hiring a graphics programmer for in May? Could they be porting RDR?

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

Yeah, really though. Posting random videos in here disrupts the flow of the thread. 

Wasn't random, that is my respond to his rage.

Albert Kike
  • Albert Kike

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:34 PM

Yeah, really though. Posting random videos in here disrupts the flow of the thread. 

Wasn't random, that is my respond to his rage.

U mad, bro?

Spoiler

TheAdmiester
  • TheAdmiester

Saywha'?

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:34 PM

I'm left with one question. If this game was being developed for PC alongside the consoles by North, what the hell game was Leeds hiring a graphics programmer for in May? Could they be porting RDR?

North may be doing the brunt of it with Leeds cooperating. I doubt it's RDR, more like a joint effort.

Albert Kike
  • Albert Kike

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:35 PM

Good question. Been wondering that myself. Maybe they needed more help, for whatever remained of the GTAV coding on PC, and yeah, perhaps even other games like Red Dead. 

blood_hound
  • blood_hound

//famfran//

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:50 PM Edited by blood_hound, 23 September 2013 - 11:52 PM.

I think this is a huge project for Rockstar so in order to get profit they first need to sell the game well which is more than what they expected, I'm sure pc version is not far from the corner.. I hope.. since shooting while driving is much better on pc.. specially when flying planes and choppahs :D

Albert Kike
  • Albert Kike

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:38 AM Edited by Albert Kike, 24 September 2013 - 12:43 AM.

I think this is a huge project for Rockstar so in order to get profit they first need to sell the game well which is more than what they expected, I'm sure pc version is not far from the corner.. I hope.. since shooting while driving is much better on pc.. specially when flying planes and choppahs :D

1 billion in three days. What more could they possibly want. It will probably reach close to 2 billion by the end of this year.

Albert Kike
  • Albert Kike

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:05 AM Edited by Albert Kike, 24 September 2013 - 01:12 AM.

Just stumbled across this. It's an update from the article that showed the PC debugging leak.

http://www.idigitalt...s-following.htm

[UPDATE 9/23 3:45pm EST] As WCCF Tech points out, Reddit user Hal_Nein_Thousand is responsible for leaking the GTA V PC references from the PlayStation 3 build of the game. The site also has a line-by-line breakdown of the relevant bits of code, which seem to confirm that GTA V PC will ship with support for 64-bit memory, DirectX 11, 2K textures and more.

My cock suddenly got rock hard.

jimmycakes
  • jimmycakes

Playa

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

hard to believe GTA V got released last week, our wait has only just begun

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

Just stumbled across this. It's an update from the article that showed the PC debugging leak.

[UPDATE 9/23 3:45pm EST] As WCCF Tech points out, Reddit user Hal_Nein_Thousand is responsible for leaking the GTA V PC references from the PlayStation 3 build of the game. The site also has a line-by-line breakdown of the relevant bits of code, which seem to confirm that GTA V PC will ship with support for 64-bit memory, DirectX 11, 2K textures and more.

My suddenly got rock hard.

The site also has a line-by-line breakdown of the relevant bits of code, which seem to confirm that GTA V PC will ship with support for 64-bit memory, DirectX 11, 2K textures and more.

My dick has turned into a stone rock.

geisweiller
  • geisweiller

The Boss

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:12 AM

hard to believe GTA V got released last week, our wait has only just begun

fees like an eternity ...

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:57 AM Edited by brian., 24 September 2013 - 01:59 AM.

My cock suddenly got rock hard.

Let me walk you through your moment.

That's 8 times bigger than the typical textures in the console version, if we are Very generous and say the averaged texture size is 256x256. Which coincides with this chart in terms of relative performance:

games4.png

In some cases, then, that is even more, since many textures are smaller than 256, and a few are also 512 and perhaps characters get 1024 or some of the big land masses.

I say very generous because the pixel density varies wildly throughout the game. But it looks about 256px:5 meters ratio to me in the main play area around the player any given time, filtering drops it drastically (road lines show it the best if you'd like to get a visual reference to apply to other scene textures, those are the Achilles' Heel of the poor filtering on the current released version). 

8 times the detail seen in an already detailed world - 8 times the texture fidelity, filling in the gaps left behind by optimization.

When you look at V, you see a super detailed world in the modeling and texturing sense together, but the pixel density of the textures, the texel density in the game, makes the modeling and UV work shine, but then fall short in feeling organic because I know it's just models and pictures.

But being able to put higher textures on, and help catch my eye to the textured areas, and not just the lines between them - anyone see what I'm saying there? I can see all the modeling work, all the UV work great, but I see it too good, my eye can't just trail to the grass, because I'm noticing the UV's and the intermediate edges between it and the sidewalk... I can't enjoy the entire scene as a whole, because there's this really well designed world with a gap between every edge - it's super detailed, and awesome texture work, but it's so blurry. 

It's not always like that. And many of the streets, sidewalks, and countryside land textures are great. 

And it's the renderer that is causing it, not the textures anyway.

Example: http://www.dsogaming...adb5bd_orig.jpg

(and ash don't you say that does not look better than the normal renderer lol, you either blaster. :p)

San Andreas was considered textured to cinematic quality - the work you see in San Andreas, from 2004, the III era game, san andreas, not V, (to be fully clear), is textured to the level you see in movies.

When rendered from the right angles and using the right techniques it is fully sufficient for use in movie production in live action cgi scenes - if you ever saw 3d assets from some of the most amazing movie scenes, you'd think SA was even better textures, and you'd be right, the LOD is on par with a large portion of scenes you see being awesome in movies - it's just that their renderer is not :p ENB series can give you previews of the future, but developers can only start doing graphics like that now, and even now they need to be conservative for consoles, and scale back for 80% of the PC market, so those graphics still are not a focus yet - but for some they are.

And do the characters look like this on console? Nah. Not even close, right? Right.

0724351869.jpg

Because the texel density is too low to support that definition, regardless of whether tessellation is involved or not. AA certainly is. My eyes continuously drawn to his pecker. But not for his pecker. For his drawstring on his sweatpants. So crisp. The only alias in this image, my favorite screenshot perhaps, is on the tip of  that drawstring, and it is an artifact from detail being lost after the screenshot was downscaled 50% from 2560x1440 to 1280x720 and it thinned them out and put the artifact on the drawstring tip.

It's like, perfect. It makes me want to game on 2560 so bad, or to be able to MSAA like crazy on 1080p. Kind of makes me sad that my PC won't be running it looking that good. But I know I'll be above console, since I can go so far above on IV and console hardware has stayed the same while my PC has improved and so has Rockstar's pipeline. So I am stoked I will have a good time, but I can only imagine what it will be like for those in the top 10% of gaming rigs (read: the costly enthusiast PC's out there, not the normal cheap but powerful mid to high end PC's).

Game512
  • Game512

Peon

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:59 AM

Has someone else checked those logs from PS3 files? Some guy wrote about them on Reddit and now all sites write about it like it's an unquestionable truth

DymeDef
  • DymeDef

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:19 AM Edited by DymeDef, 24 September 2013 - 02:19 AM.

Yeah, I know what you mean brian.

I have a hard time playing it on console because of the bluriness. I didn't think it would be that bad when I first started, but over time it gets worse. When online is out I won't be so worried about it, as single player is the more immersive mode and I will be spending more time trying to feel at home in LS than kicking it with friends f*cking sh*t up.

But man, that looks NOTHING like that scene in the game haha. And the subsurface scattering on the consoles or whatever it is, it looks bad. It's just like a shiny look, almost like an action figure or GI Joe from back in the daaaaay lol.

• brian. likes this

alex9110
  • alex9110

Waiting...

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:51 AM

And do the characters look like this on console? Nah. Not even close, right? Right.

Right!

dbt9hl.png

• brian. likes this

napoleonic
  • napoleonic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

2k textures is so 2005... we have been demanding 4k textures since crysis and stalker days...

no matter how good stock gta v on pc will be, I'm not gonna be impressed, because I've seen how random guys on the internet capable to transform IV to look equal or better than V even against those promotional shots and videos, and I've seen other open world-ish games look like and I've been spoiled with how future open world games look like.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:31 AM Edited by brian., 24 September 2013 - 03:38 AM.

no one has a monitor big enough to ever display a 4k texture in any meaningful use case yet :p It'll only ever show mipmaps anyway cause u can't fit the texture on the screen  :p

The bigger the texture, the bigger the screen needs to be to really show it, or else it's just wasted processing power on stuff you only ever see when extremely zoomed anyway :p 800x600 gta iv + high textures = you really only ever see low textures 90% of the time anyway, cause they are mipped for their screen space.

Bigger res = need bigger textures. Need 4k screen super hd to really care about 4k textures :p

Even those 2k textures will only ever be seen by those who zoom close, even on high resolution screens :p

:p  :p :p <-- lol

gonna need a nasa computer if you wanna workaround with supersampling :p <--what's one more?

Agreed about graphics btw, I like vanilla gaming but mainstream is behind the curve in what is possible. GTA IV looking a lot better than Watch Dogs, on the right PC.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Generic GTA Username™

• Members
  • India

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:35 AM Edited by AceKingston, 24 September 2013 - 03:35 AM.

dbt9hl.png

There is no way the 2nd one is a console screen. Consoles can't handle GTA V with that graphics, they already have problems handling it now i.e. how the first screen looks. I bet that this is a PC screen.

• brian. likes this

luceberg
  • luceberg

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:49 AM Edited by luceberg, 24 September 2013 - 03:50 AM.

I am a pc gamer of GTA4, but I am playing V on an xbox. I have to say it looks and performs amazingly well. It looks as good as GTA4 on my pc with a 4Ghz quad and gtx 470 in hd. By the way, the R* screenshots in no way exaggerate the graphics quality.

Albert Kike
  • Albert Kike

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:51 AM Edited by Albert Kike, 24 September 2013 - 03:53 AM.

I'm like the biggest "graphics whore" around. I'm pretty much a PC gamer only, but I did jump the gun a few days ago amd bought GTA V on the PS3 because I could no longer wait. With that said, I am amazed at how good this game looks on sh*tty, 2005/2006 hardware.

I cream myself every-time I imagine how much better this game would look on my PC at 4k resolution + all the bells and whistles turned on. (I have GTX Titans in SLI).

This is a very pretty game, even on the current gen consoles. It will look absolutely glorious on PC, and I'm certain the above screen is from the PC build, downsampled. 

CarLuver69
  • CarLuver69

Strangely Animated

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:20 AM Edited by CarLuver69, 24 September 2013 - 04:22 AM.

I hate to force upon everyone a pet peeve of mine, but holy f*ck is it ever annoying when "intelligent" or "logistically speaking" people pretty much say one form or another of this sentence:

Look at the patterns of all other GTA games released. They were released 6 - 8 months after the console versions, which must mean that Rockstar has some sort of PC gaming ritual, and even though I have no clue what goes on in game development, or as to why the PC version is delayed 6 - 8 months, I can say with extreme certainty that GTA V will be released for PCs sometime in May or June. Seriously, you're an idiot if you think the game will be released ANY earlier than this. LOOK AT THE OTHER GTA GAMES AND THEN TELL ME HOW SMART I AM FOR POINTING THIS OUT!

For the love of god, please stop being so god damn ignorant. We all know the other GTA games were f*cking delayed 6 - 8 months, but does anyone care to wonder WHY? It's because it's taken them 12 years to realize that MAYBE, just MAYBE, developing a GTA game alongside their console predecessors is a better idea rather than creating a sh*tty port that takes 6 - 8 months to develop because nobody bothered preparing for the PC version early on.

People need to stop jumping on the "Captain Obvious" bandwagon and just shut their trapholes. We're all excited for GTA V, but trying to look smart while waiting around with everyone else isn't a great way to get attention. Myself personally, GTA V will be out no later than October 2013. I'll even throw in an exact date just for sh*ts and giggles - October 22nd, 2013. If GTA V comes out any later than the 22nd, brian. can pick my avatar for an entire month. Because at least he has more sense in what he speaks about than people trying to get in the limelight with their "6 - 8 months!!!" nonsensical bullsh*t!

And that is my pet peeve that I've been wanting to get out. I'm sure others feel this way. :karmaeater:
  • brian. and NYPD.ESU.55 like this

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:24 AM Edited by brian., 24 September 2013 - 04:26 AM.

I'm like the biggest "graphics whore" around. I'm pretty much a PC gamer only, but I did jump the gun a few days ago amd bought GTA V on the PS3 because I could no longer wait. With that said, I am amazed at how good this game looks on sh*tty, 2005/2006 hardware.

I cream myself every-time I imagine how much better this game would look on my PC at 4k resolution + all the bells and whistles turned on. (I have GTX Titans in SLI).

This is a very pretty game, even on the current gen consoles. It will look absolutely glorious on PC, and I'm certain the above screen is from the PC build, downsampled. 

Wow. Please send me some money. lol. 

Nice rig man. Do you seriously have the 4k screen?

CarLuver69 - deal lol, your av is gonna be like "PM me for anus licking dates" or something like that hahaha. Gonna spend time on it though, make it even really greasy haha. Trevor style.

CarLuver69
  • CarLuver69

Strangely Animated

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:30 AM Edited by CarLuver69, 24 September 2013 - 04:30 AM.

CarLuver69 - deal lol, your av is gonna be like "PM me for anus licking dates" or something like that hahaha. Gonna spend time on it though, make it even really greasy haha. Trevor style.

I have enough confidence to say that there's a 99.997% chance that I won't have to be subjected to public tormenting simply because it's pretty obvious that GTA V is coming to PC sooner rather than later. :monocle:

Would be a shame for such a well-planned out avatar to go to waste, eh? :lol:

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:35 AM Edited by brian., 24 September 2013 - 04:38 AM.

ignore this post, false alarm.

@Cat, haha yea. xD Let's hope October 23rd, everybody wins xD lol

MajesticNL
  • MajesticNL

Chris

• Feroci Racing
  • Netherlands

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:39 AM

brian, I won't deny that ENB looks grapihcally impressive. because it does and I understand people are intrrigued by it. Some videos\screenshots are literally photorealistic. But that's what it is for me, a "graphics benchmark''. It's not something I would enjoy playing the storyline with, or seeing as a standard in video games. There is a couple of reasons for it (note here: I only seen ENB in action on GTA4, no other games, and honestly, dont care for it)

- In the majority of enb settings I see, there is a lot of desaturation of colors, even in the very screen you linked. The colors look so dull and lifeless.

- The sky, in the vast majority there is this very bright white sky, again, it looks dull. And I know it's NYC and all (we got similar weather here) but it's a game. I know the timecyc in the standard game doesn't look that great, but at least it has some nice looking colors.

- The effects, they are so overdone, hit you right in the face. It's just not pleasant to look at anymore over time.

There is my enb rant. Now some more interesting topic: Textures.

I expect we would only see 2k textures on the important characters in the game. Maybe some vehicles too. I don't expect map assets to have this kind of resolution. Possibly just the terrain textures that are tiled pretty big. You are right about the average console texture resolution brian, it's 256x256. There is some 128 stuff, some 512. Realize the map on consoles is already 7.3gb, Imagine texs being all 2k on pc, you would be looking at a map that's 50gb! Nah, not gonna happen, it would be overkill anyway.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:43 AM Edited by brian., 24 September 2013 - 04:45 AM.

Yea, I am on the same page as you, with all points, from enb misuse to the expected textures. many enb look good though, but most really are too stylized to preference - I like the more realistic looking ones. I like that one, it probably looks good in the right conditions. I think we will see double size what is seen on the launch platforms, when placed to high, and where the launch platform has a 256, we'll see a 512. Where player head might be 1024, we'll see it 2048. We're not going to get multiple levels higher textures, we're going to get a level up to get "high", and not likely see an "ultra" "extra" and so on.

ViciousLuke
  • ViciousLuke

Ermahgerd GTA V

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:45 AM Edited by ViciousLuke, 24 September 2013 - 04:48 AM.

http://attackofthefa...n-xbox-one-ps4/

“Of course we’re interested. But no, not in terms of GTA, because we’re always working on the current game. We look at the tech at a more practical level: what will be ready for which game that we’re working on further down the line. We don’t have another GTA in development, we don’t work on three of these games at a time. That would be phenomenally depressing. So, in terms of GTA, no. We get pitched by the hardware manufacturers on what they’re planning to do and our tech guys come up with ideas on how that could be used. Does this influence design decisions? Of course. But we’re not sat there fantasising about 10 years down the line. We’re so busy with what we’re doing right now.”

This got my eye. What are they doing if the game is released?

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:50 AM Edited by brian., 24 September 2013 - 04:51 AM.

Work never ends on GTA Online, if they are successful in their goals with it.

Gotta keep in mind, GTA V is just the beginning. Single player expansions/DLC, GTA Online - lots of work to keep them busy for a long time.

I expect future Single Player GTA's to be expansions for GTA Online, honestly. I don't think we'll see a "GTA VI", but perhaps instead an expansion of GTA Online that adds liberty city from IV, and an all new story covering both areas, followed by adding vice city, and then a story that goes all three places, and grow from there.

Not enough evidence to say it's likely, but just something I think is what they will do - if GTA Online becomes a delivery mechanism for them, there's never again a need to market a new iteration or press new discs - just tell your players "new map/single player/500 new online missions coming soon!"

Highly speculative post ^

It could just start over again nexgen. All the aliens/ufo's/ghosts/myths coming to life in the game does make me wonder if this is run one, and then both GTA V and online will be replaced later. We'll see.

• Acek likes this

MajesticNL
  • MajesticNL

Chris

• Feroci Racing
  • Netherlands

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:00 AM

^ In addition to all of that, let's not forget about Agent here. Back in 2009 it was announced by Jack Tretton as a 'Rockstar North' game, highly likely it's been on hold for quite some time and maybe not even done by north anymore, but they are\were involved in it for sure.

GTA-Bobski
  • GTA-Bobski

Freeroamer

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:14 AM Edited by GTA-Bobski, 24 September 2013 - 05:20 AM.

I am a pc gamer of GTA4, but I am playing V on an xbox. I have to say it looks and performs amazingly well. It looks as good as GTA4 on my pc with a 4Ghz quad and gtx 470 in hd. By the way, the R* screenshots in no way exaggerate the graphics quality.
Come on, get serious. I'm playing on the X360 too and seen the game on a beamer, large plasma TV and on a 1920X1080 monitor. And no way the promo screenshots are made on a console.

Sure, for a console game it looks awesome. It really does, about 20% of the time with the right time of day and such. But overall it's blurry, full of jaggies and constant low-res models changing to high-res and back. Not complaining though, I knew it before I bought the game.

So this promo screenshot

qbYxDc8.jpg

Looks like this ingame

0aQSgE1.jpg

And I had to edit it a bit in Photoshop to make it match my screen, the orginal looks like this since the ingame phone cam washes out the colours.

MLJAuu2.jpg
  • brian. likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users