Photo

PC Version of GTA V Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20,084 replies to this topic
stockwiz
  • stockwiz

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:49 PM Edited by stockwiz, 18 September 2013 - 09:50 PM.

they're going to release it on PC and PS4 so quit whining... they are being suspiciously silent about the whole GTA Online as well as PC and PS4 releases... they are going to keep you wondering at least through October first so might as well leave the forums and enjoy the game such as it is now until then.   They plan to get people to buy the game two or three times... I suspect that was their plan all along.

Like getting people to buy the DVD version of a movie, then the bluray, then a remastered better version of the bluray a year later, then complain about pirates while meanwhile enjoying record profits.

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:51 PM Edited by r34ld34l, 18 September 2013 - 09:52 PM.

So what if he have BitTorrent? BitTorrent is legit software, there is no law against it. But yeah, most likely fake.

Torrent is a known word for pirating sh*t. If he has installed bittorrent, he is very low paid then.

A rich dev won't need any torrent sh*t, he can buy almost anything.

That is stupid. I got it, I don't use it only for cracked games, but also for distribution Linux OS and many other free softwares.
Also, Humble Bundle is using BitTorrent to help it ease their servers. Get your fact straight. 

- Edit -

Also Peiition got to 447k!!
http://www.change.or...ase-gta-v-on-pc

I don't care what you use bittorrent for but then again, even if bittorrent is legit, do you

really think people use it legally?

Yes. Did you even read? Do you think people use internet legally? By your logic internet is bad.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

So what if he have BitTorrent? BitTorrent is legit software, there is no law against it. But yeah, most likely fake.

Torrent is a known word for pirating sh*t. If he has installed bittorrent, he is very low paid then.

A rich dev won't need any torrent sh*t, he can buy almost anything.

That is stupid. I got it, I don't use it only for cracked games, but also for distribution Linux OS and many other free softwares.
Also, Humble Bundle is using BitTorrent to help it ease their servers. Get your fact straight. 

- Edit -

Also Peiition got to 447k!!
http://www.change.or...ase-gta-v-on-pc

I don't care what you use bittorrent for but then again, even if bittorrent is legit, do you

really think people use it legally?

Yes. Did you even read? Do you think people use internet legally? By your logic internet is bad.

Just drop it. We are talking about whether the reddit link is fake or not.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:57 PM Edited by brian., 18 September 2013 - 10:29 PM.

This is gonna be a pretty sweet post.

For the record, there are plenty of legit uses of torrents, and plenty of corporate people use them to move files around quickly on their own closed intranets and such (to remote/satellite locations aka the other studios for example, locally it's all on a shared data slave for sure). I'm not saying rockstar does this, but corporations do use the technology.

But that is an elaborate fake. He has no reason to white out all those areas on the file folder, yet he does - it's because it'll reveal it's really GTA IV :p

Indeed those are pasted in, the good thing at least, is you can see real screens of the game on console there, and see how they are totally different than the "manual" screens we've been discussing :D

The screenshots from the manual may be using a basically-console-settings to get those shots, but they are not using console resolutions nor console filtering level, and there are some other differences, but they are washy for me, but these two are not: The anisotropy is way higher than the consoles. On consoles, road lines blur into a yellow blob within 20 or 30 feet from the camera. For starters. They are also definitely too smooth to be raw without any AA.

So even if they are using medium assets in the Manual screens, they are displatying much further in fidelity before they wash out to mipmaps. Low anisotropic filtering makes for the blur in the short clip, but that isn't on these shots, the tex are filtered higher to stay crisp longer. It's all definitely from a PC build, that 16gb (probably 32 by now) machine they ran IV on around the office. IV was running on a PC before it was released on a console - it just was on their setup, which, like the consoles, is just "one" setup - when Toronto did their work, the bulk was compatibility and some port work, but these days, it won't be a lot of port work. Their compilers are smart enough to take 1 set of code and build it 3 different ways, maybe not for everything, but it is a given this is a top priority for every developer out there making large scope blockbuster titles, is abstracting their pipeline away from the hardware, and making platform differences automatic.

Here is an image that illustrates the point: http://www.ericchadw.../mip_colors.jpg

In that image, you can see the mip levels, one by one, based on how much space on screen there is to draw the textures. If there's not enough room for 1024 to display, it washes down to 512, this is what mipmapping is for (it's actually more perfomance intensive to use mipmaps, it's really more a visual fidelity thing than a performance thing, the big tex will look bad and like sandpaper far away, after that, the blended layers cost, but it is first and foremost a visual enhancement)

Anyhow, on consoles, the max level is deleted, and you only get up to the mipmaps.

Can't speak to exactly how far along they are, however the desire to be same-day on MP3, shows a good clue.

Most interesting thing I want to say right now is those Social Club iFruit pics - the game downscales them 50% to make them look good. At that resolution, without zooming, they look as good as the promo shots. NOW:

1280+1280 = 2560.

720+720=1440.

Max resolution of Rockstar games on PC since IV? 2560x1440.

Take a 2560x1440 pc screenshot, and downscale it 50%, you get the same quality results as they get cutting the console's pics in half on the ingame photo viewer.

Simple, and obvious when it's laid out like that, huh? Even PC gamers will have a jaggy game, if they don't MSAA the game or downscale their screenshots after the fact. It won't jag as close to the camera, but it'll jag. It won't blur road lines as close, but they'll still blur, further, but they will.

Gonna "finish downscaling" a manual shot, to show the full on treatment :p

And indeed, nothing in the Manual shots makes me wonder DX11.

When you make a 720p console screenshot at Rockstar, you start with this screenshot: http://thetimehole.f...taiv_frapsb.png

If you hold ctrl and scroll to zoom it out a few notches, you can see it get nice. Since the GTA V screenshots are also antialiased, you don't see the same artifacts that you see in IV.

When you watch this video on "original resolution" in youtube, you can see how the "purple car night shadows" screenshot, the windows in the distance there, that's why they are so sharp, it came down from 2560x1440.

The image: http://media.gtanet....ullsize/862.jpg

As you can see, that is far too crisp to not be downscaled. Compare that to a night shot capture from GTA V, I am sure the difference would be easily discernible. The banding in the sky in that image is also a dead giveaway of major downscaling.

• Mega and r34ld34l like this

geisweiller
  • geisweiller

The Boss

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:15 PM Edited by geisweiller, 18 September 2013 - 10:17 PM.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GFJ7mFqFo1E

1:48

Fake?

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

That's tough to call man. I would think there would be an announcement before they even press a disc. And when it presses, we're gonna see pictures of it from someone's camera phone at the plant - like the console boxes when printed as well.

The manager could be aware, and could be taking preorders. It's potentially a slip by a manager, and very real, but he doesn't have physical copies, he's got preorders or something that he's taking early, something like that perhaps.

Edward-Is-A-Flunky45
  • Edward-Is-A-Flunky45

Frazy as Cruck

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:37 PM Edited by Edward-Is-A-Flunky45, 18 September 2013 - 10:37 PM.

Funny how the selfies and pictures taken by the people on the game looks exactly like the Screenshots. Which also prove how wrong Brian is, however though, After taking a look at some GTA IV screens and taking a screenshot in game on PC, they look the same, and very different from the consoles. Which also proves that his speculation about GTA V screenshots by Rockstar were on PC. If they did it on the past, they're still doin it. 

I remember when the "Business" screenshots were released, and I saw that beautiful Bike pic, take a look: http://www.rockstarg...hot/71-1280.jpg

Yeah, it doesn't look the same on the consoles, but this is from 2012.

But this one as he had already pointed out, it's edited, I took a look at the actual gameplay video, and yeah it doesn't look as detailed as this one http://www.rockstarg...ot/571-1280.jpg

So I think Brian's right. 

CyberCommander
  • CyberCommander

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

now that they have made 1billion $ in a day, PC version = 100% confirmed.

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:43 PM Edited by r34ld34l, 18 September 2013 - 10:44 PM.

Funny how the selfies and pictures taken by the people on the game looks exactly like the Screenshots. Which also prove how wrong Brian is, however though, After taking a look at some GTA IV screens and taking a screenshot in game on PC, they look the same, and very different from the consoles. Which also proves that his speculation about GTA V screenshots by Rockstar were on PC. If they did it on the past, they're still doin it. 

I remember when the "Business" screenshots were released, and I saw that beautiful Bike pic, take a look: http://www.rockstarg...hot/71-1280.jpg

Yeah, it doesn't look the same on the consoles, but this is from 2012.

But this one as he had already pointed out, it's edited, I took a look at the actual gameplay video, and yeah it doesn't look as detailed as this one http://www.rockstarg...ot/571-1280.jpg

So I think Brian's right. 

Kinda agree, but you can't compare selfies, which are 640x360 to actualy screenhots which are 1280x720.

More and more I believe that brian. is right ;)

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:56 PM Edited by brian., 18 September 2013 - 10:59 PM.

Yea, the selfies are downscaled 50% smaller. It's the only thing that makes them look like the promo shots. Promo shots come down from 2560x1440, creating the exact same benefits as the game phone camera does. The phone's pics in themselves proof that those screens are downscaled from RAGE engine's max PC res, double that of consoles, 2560x1440 :^:

It's like, the perfect example, the game itself downscales 50% to look close to the screenshots, so clearly, the screenshots came down from double size, which is rage's max PC resolution (since IV at least, maybe V will support bigger, but doubt it. It takes a beast PC to even run at that, which they have, but only like 10% of pc's out there can do it right now, without first lowering a bunch of other stuff)

There are still effects that are not the same in the console in some of the screens. The motion blur is not the same, for example. And no matter how big the screen resolution gets, we won't get those textures from most of the screenshots (the parachute canyon is the best comparison to use, but you can make many now that the game is out)

KawakSallas
  • KawakSallas

Kifflom

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:05 PM Edited by KawakSallas, 18 September 2013 - 11:06 PM.

Another proof, found on visualsettings.dat

File is here - http://www.filehostf...om/?d=523A31E31

Search for the last lines

EDIT - "NG" = Next Generation?

//Adaptive DOF - PC/NG Only
adaptivedof.range.verynear.win32			2
adaptivedof.range.near.win32				10
adaptivedof.range.mid.win32					1000
adaptivedof.range.far.win32					3000
adaptivedof.range.veryfar.win32				25000

adaptivedof.verynear.nearout.win32			-0.5
adaptivedof.verynear.nearin.win32			0.5
adaptivedof.verynear.farin.win32			2.0
adaptivedof.verynear.farout.win32			10.0

adaptivedof.near.nearout.win32				-1.0
adaptivedof.near.nearin.win32				1.0
adaptivedof.near.farin.win32				15.0
adaptivedof.near.farout.win32				1000.0

adaptivedof.mid.nearout.win32				0.0
adaptivedof.mid.nearin.win32				2.0
adaptivedof.mid.farin.win32					100.0
adaptivedof.mid.farout.win32				10000.0

adaptivedof.far.nearout.win32				0.0
adaptivedof.far.nearin.win32				2.5
adaptivedof.far.farin.win32					3000.0
adaptivedof.far.farout.win32				25000.0

adaptivedof.veryfar.nearout.win32			0.0
adaptivedof.veryfar.nearin.win32			4.5
adaptivedof.veryfar.farin.win32				20000.0
adaptivedof.veryfar.farout.win32			25000.0

adaptivedof.missedrayvalue.win32			6000
adaptivedof.gridsize.win32					15
adaptivedof.gridscalex.win32				0.6
adaptivedof.gridscaley.win32				0.6
adaptivedof.gridscalexaiming.win32			0.1
adaptivedof.gridscaleyaiming.win32			0.1
adaptivedof.smoothtime.win32				1.0
adaptivedof.nearplayeradjust.win32			4.0f

adaptivedof.meleefocal.nearout.win32		1.0
adaptivedof.meleefocal.nearin.win32			0.5
adaptivedof.meleefocal.farin.win32			0.010
adaptivedof.meleefocal.farout.win32			0.250

adaptivedof.aimingfocal.nearout.win32		1.0
adaptivedof.aimingfocal.nearin.win32		0.9
adaptivedof.aimingfocal.farin.win32			0.5
adaptivedof.aimingfocal.farout.win32		1.0
  • Mega and brian. like this

DymeDef
  • DymeDef

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

I agree 100% Brian. The screens in the manual are obviously using a slightly better draw distance too, but the resolution is what sold me that they are not from consoles. That resolution would require them to upscale the screen shot which will distort the image.

And as you said, the filtering is far better than on consoles. I play on xbox right now, and use a 27 inch monitor. There are jaggies, and the AF is very low. Those screens have nearly no aliasing and the AF is at a much higher setting, though not maxed (probably around 1/2)
  • brian. likes this

Eggtooth
  • Eggtooth

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:23 PM Edited by Eggtooth, 18 September 2013 - 11:26 PM.

NOW That is the proof. Guys, we have 100% proof now that PC version exists and probably is finished.

Someone, extract GTA V from Xbox 360 and PS3. There might be more stuff.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:33 PM Edited by brian., 18 September 2013 - 11:38 PM.

Finished on maybe their in house PC's, but still lots of work left to do to make sure AMD works and any number of setups as such :p

Yep, definitely has to mean "PC/NextGen only" 

And that adaptive depth of field is what I pointed out in the trevor house official screenshot back when I was ranting a lot, for example. That "blur" on the screenshots, is that adaptive bokeh depth of field, DX11.

http://udn.epicgames...pthOfField.html

For unreal, their implementation is subject to be different, but still.

DymeDef
  • DymeDef

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:35 PM

Finished on maybe their in house PC's, but still lots of work left to do to make sure AMD works and any number of setups as such :p

Yep, definitely has to mean "PC/NextGen only" 

And that adaptive bokeh depth of field is what I pointed out in the trevor house official screenshot back when I was ranting a lot, for example. That "blur" on the screenshots, is that adaptive bokeh depth of field, DX11.

Told them not to doubt the evidence. As I had expected you were pretty much on point with most of your screen shot analysis a few months back.

Man I can't wait to see this game on PC after playing on console.
  • brian. likes this

s-paco
  • s-paco

Still here.

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:53 AM

You don't know that, stop pretending you know what's going on.

You should use some logic, it might help you. Looking at all the previous GTA games, the same things happened. It's just a matter of time.

I've seen these threads since GTA3 and yet they keep coming every GTA console launch.

People put as an excuse Rockstar's Pattern with GTA, yet... Patterns, can be changed. Markets change, evolve, and so do the marketing strategies themselves

Only a fool would change a winning plan. 
If it's not broken, don't try to fix it. Look at Call of Duty, why do you think every new game isn't that different than the one before? Because the thing sells as long as it sticks to the thing that made the game sell that much.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:05 AM Edited by brian., 19 September 2013 - 01:41 AM.

The "winning plan" is only there because of studio development limitations. If you can release all platforms simultaneously, without issues, you do it. You do not stagger releases unless you have to, because all that does is hold you back from your other projects that are in development. You get it all out the fastest that you can. And you keep quiet about things when you can't.

Basically every benefit to staggering the PC release, is a compensation, and playing a bad hand very well, it's good business, but it's business to make up for short comings.

That "winning plan" is there in compensation for developmental limitations in time and manpower. It is an excellent answer to the need to delay a platform, but it's a compensation, it's not a "winning plan", it's something they have to do to get a version out the door and keep the money flowing, just to finish the version that will need more care (differing hardware on pc, not on a given console where it's a nice even field for every user, and thus a nice, single development, vs needing to hack in fallbacks and other routines based on the PC's capability/setup) - when "other people can do that sh*t" and they can work on their masterpiece, and get help from those if needed, delaying their work, but adding to the overall in the long run. Especially in times of delay when even more people must stop what they are doing, and go help GTA V for 4 to 6 months (depending on if their work is on the game, or on the product)

In other words: it's a great way to make up for shortcomings, but Rockstar, and any other serious triple a developer, is working toward PC lead. The landscape is changing, the next consoles will be fed down games from the PC versions, because the gap is bigger now between PC and console than ever before. You can bet that every serious developer out there knows where the future is, it's been creeping up for 20 years, a couple billion dollars total market potential at a time, and now makes more than both consoles combined. Trust me, from an experience point of view and from a market speculative point of view, it's a compensation of the past, which will still persist for a bit with some studios (like rockstar having to step back from PC simultanious to a delay with Max Payne 3 on PC, after the game itself was delayed on all platforms a couple times, and now GTA V is delayed 6 months - this is all evidence they are trying, and shooting large, but falling short, won't last long, they are well on their way, Rockstar will be one of the first to make the transition with the gaming market)

• Gutslab likes this

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

I've searched for a while but I couldn't find my first impressions to some of the screens and how they looked too good to be true, I know my first comment was right after the 2nd trailer, but here is one comment from the beginning of 2013 about that:

http://gtaforums.com...81&p=1062221252

But I'm pretty sure I said it in the beginning of 2012 too. Back then I remember how everyone called me crazy and that was all light and that was straight from consoles... yeah right.

Also I remember of this thread started by Adriaan:

http://gtaforums.com...console-and-pc/

Might not be something important, but it seems that Rockstar took into account the huge gap between the PC's and consoles, and with this text we can understand that the gap was mostly because of technical terms and not exactly because of licenses. So it also means that the real reason for the gap before was because of the time needed for porting, so if that is the case and the PC version is close to being complete, there is nothing stopping them from releasing it sooner then the 8 months so many people claim to be their strategy.

So the gap could and most likely will be smaller for V too.

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:29 AM

I've searched for a while but I couldn't find my first impressions to some of the screens and how they looked too good to be true, I know my first comment was right after the 2nd trailer, but here is one comment from the beginning of 2013 about that:

http://gtaforums.com...81&p=1062221252

But I'm pretty sure I said it in the beginning of 2012 too. Back then I remember how everyone called me crazy and that was all light and that was straight from consoles... yeah right.

Also I remember of this thread started by Adriaan:

http://gtaforums.com...console-and-pc/

Might not be something important, but it seems that Rockstar took into account the huge gap between the PC's and consoles, and with this text we can understand that the gap was mostly because of technical terms and not exactly because of licenses. So it also means that the real reason for the gap before was because of the time needed for porting, so if that is the case and the PC version is close to being complete, there is nothing stopping them from releasing it sooner then the 8 months so many people claim to be their strategy.

So the gap could and most likely will be smaller for V too.

Indeed.

Also this: http://gtaforums.com...entry1061333333

I was right :p

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:52 AM

If we would kidnap the president of R*, we might get PC version sooner than we think!

DymeDef
  • DymeDef

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:59 AM

The "winning plan" is only there because of studio development limitations. If you can release all platforms simultaneously, without issues, you do it. You do not stagger releases unless you have to, because all that does is hold you back from your other projects that are in development. You get it all out the fastest that you can. And you keep quiet about things when you can't.

Basically every benefit to staggering the PC release, is a compensation, and playing a bad hand very well, it's good business, but it's business to make up for short comings.

That "winning plan" is there in compensation for developmental limitations in time and manpower. It is an excellent answer to the need to delay a platform, but it's a compensation, it's not a "winning plan", it's something they have to do to get a version out the door and keep the money flowing, just to finish the version that will need more care (differing hardware on pc, not on a given console where it's a nice even field for every user, and thus a nice, single development, vs needing to hack in fallbacks and other routines based on the PC's capability/setup) - when "other people can do that sh*t" and they can work on their masterpiece, and get help from those if needed, delaying their work, but adding to the overall in the long run. Especially in times of delay when even more people must stop what they are doing, and go help GTA V for 4 to 6 months (depending on if their work is on the game, or on the product)

In other words: it's a great way to make up for shortcomings, but Rockstar, and any other serious triple a developer, is working toward PC lead. The landscape is changing, the next consoles will be fed down games from the PC versions, because the gap is bigger now between PC and console than ever before. You can bet that every serious developer out there knows where the future is, it's been creeping up for 20 years, a couple billion dollars total market potential at a time, and now makes more than both consoles combined. Trust me, from an experience point of view and from a market speculative point of view, it's a compensation of the past, which will still persist for a bit with some studios (like rockstar having to step back from PC simultanious to a delay with Max Payne 3 on PC, after the game itself was delayed on all platforms a couple times, and now GTA V is delayed 6 months - this is all evidence they are trying, and shooting large, but falling short, won't last long, they are well on their way, Rockstar will be one of the first to make the transition with the gaming market)

This hold merit, but also man. This release is different from any other ever. This game is one of the most anticipated games of all time, has one of the highest number of preorders ever(if not the most) and made 1 billion in its first day.

The consoles are on their last legs, development for them will not continue for much longer. They are taking advantage of this and this is likely why they don't talk about the PC version. I'm not saying it isn't out only because of marketing. Them not talking about a PC version is marketing. The delay is likely because of what brian said. Consoles are one set of hardware on every platform for that console. PC's have millions of possible set ups and all must be taken into account.

But the whole Marketing sh*t I keep talking is in reference to their hush hush about a PC version.

Glumok
  • Glumok

8 years on GTAForums... Bordel de foutre !

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:20 AM

My two cents about the PC version being considered by R*

I was looking the BAWSAQ website on Rockstar Social Club website.
And you can choose if you want to see informations for the PS3 or the Xbox 360 version.
So, I was curious about the displayed icons to select the versions, and here is the picture used for it :

iSnKwgodpyClm.jpg

(the original file is available here).

See the 3th one, with "PC" on it ? I haven't seen it used anywhere on the website (but I didn't have deeply searched for it neither).

Also, there is some space to add more logos on it (PS4/One/PC ?)

Also, when you try to change the "PS3/Xbox" in the current URL (i.e. : http://socialclub.ro...gtav/ps3/bawsaq) to PC,

you don't get the usual "error 404" page, the website just seems to be loading forever (Edit : ok, it does the same if you type anything, so it means nothing).

For what it worth, I thought it could be interesting.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:32 AM Edited by brian., 19 September 2013 - 02:53 AM.

One philosophical question for those who would still doubt;

If it costs 265 million dollars to make what you think we got on the console yesterday, how much does it cost to make it for the PC, to make it like the screenshots, to give it the more peds and cars and such?

Now, I am of half my mind to just leave that as a rhetorical question that ends up answered anyway, someone is sure to provide an adequately detailed conjectural piece about how much ports cost or how many people work at Rockstar Toronto, but it would be hilarious, especially in the case of this particular game, but more important for why I won't leave it in the air, it would be cruel.

Firstly, the production costs - there they are - 265 million dollars. Over 1/4 of a billion apple pies at mcdonalds (over 1/2 if your mcdonalds rolls with with 2for1)

Every single asset that you see upon the console version that was released is in some level the same assets that you saw all along, at various stages of development, what you see on the console in the end that differs in art, is common, but what you see that differs in fidelity, resolution, or quality is not.

Here is a texture, simple DXT1 that I viewed in photoshop, showing mipmap levels, and then saved out as a proper png for the high web, and below it is the texture level missing that I would delete to make it storage, streamer, and render friendly on the consoles. I wouldn't do it by hand, it would get stripped out based on a build configuration (dem graphics settings). If I am targeting consoles. If I am targeting PC, I use the top one, and when the user selects medium textures, that top level map is discarded somewhere between being pulled from the drive and being sent to the active set to be prepared for and then used in rendering.

The examples below are typical for games with low, medium, or high textures. A game like, say, Crysis 2 which has Low, Medium, High, and some variation or synonym of the word Ultra, will delete the top two levels on console, and on PC you'll get High for only 1 deleted, or none deleted for ultra, so in those cases, you're two or three texture levels lower on consoles, always and automatically, unless the game is a port. Like Hulk on PS2 is exactly the same on PC, no change, and looks exactly the same. That's a port.

This image is somewhat big, so I won't embed it, the forum would make it a good size, but it is a modern texture, so it's 1024 high and much wider, so, you know, loading in mind:

http://i.imgur.com/KoGrYXy.jpg

As you see the detail on that atlas and its mipmaps, each one can be viewed as a graphics setting on PC, or by deleting the top 2 levels, you'd begin getting into the range of textures seen on GTA V footage. Lower even, especially with regard to how quickly the textures mip out due to a short range on the anisotropic filtering.

Bare in mind that I am not bashing consoles, I'm showing why things are so different in screenshots and the current launched version of the game in terms of texture quality and clarity.

I also did not do the  "deleted mip levels image, cos u can do it with your mind. :^:

That "super low cartoon skyrim" mod or "TF2 skyrim" mod, that is just using mipmaps from deeper than you're ever intended to see them up close. It has some other stuff I think, but the textures achieved by going deep into the mipmap to images you would only see from far away even on low, if you're familiar with that mod.

Now, since that's just one aspect of optimization, but the easiest to use as an example, you can understand where I am going with this - 

The PC version of any game is not really a new development and added costs just porting assets over to another platform. Only cheesy studios work like that, or unfortunate ones with poor deals, no control, and low funds.

All of the assets for this game, we will not really get the full assets. Maybe one day, but for now, we will get only textures like the one I linked at best, some assets might get 2048, rare occasions where 4096 is used, usually those are seen as atlases though, you won't see a road at 4096 unless a developer is a moron, because you'll never need it unless the screen is 4k hd. You'll see it later, but for now, texture sizes at like 1024px:5meters texel density ratio is more than enough, and typical of "ultra" settings, though you'll see 2048's peppered in there on mass coverage textures.

The point is that the game that came to the console was the easiest one to focus on after a massive 6 month delay (4 to 5 developmentally, maybe longer depending when news of a patch first arrives, they may still be working and what shipped was what had to be pressed, what shipped is good though), it was the platform that provided them the least problems, the most clear constraints, giving the clearest possible route to get this game out and into the hands of the fans, for their sake having waited already a delay, and business and brand protection's sake.

The easier to support platforms got done first, and now it's crunch time for prepping that PS4 version and that PC version, getting down to business on that PC version, to feed down to that XB1 version. For sure. 

Time to use levels of those 265 million dollars worth of assets and code that had to be shelved for a bit, that still has kinks to workout, sh*t that is working fine on Nvidia Card/AMD chip machines, but not on AMD card/AMD chip, or working fine with Nvidia7Series and Intel, but not with 8 series, though both work fine with AMD chips, sh*t like that. Crazy sh*t. sh*t I myself do not comprehend and do not want to learn about anymore. The stuff that makes it take "a bit more work" to say you support a platform.

If everyone had the exact same PC, GTA V would be out, in other words. It's developed on a PC, the PC feeds the consoles and those consoles a console-modified/compatible version, those consoles are all guaranteed to be a level playing field, so when sh*t hits the fan and you gotta delay your game for six months, you need to grab anyone who is working on compatibility with the nvidia guys, send the nvidia guys home, put everyone on the console that can swing it, and get that game shipped, then everyone can go work on PC again and call AMD and Nvidia for an overnighter to fix their driver, and all is well.

Is it exactly like that? Nah, it's different everywhere. But Rockstar tried to get that PC version of Max Payne out on the same day, Max Payne was delayed, then the PC version trailed by itself a few weeks when the game finally came, then GTA V got pushed back 2 years without anyone knowing (was slated for 2010), then it was announced, then it dropped SIX MONTHS - this is all a very strong indication that the consoles got crunch time, and now all the platforms can have love given them.

"

"We've closed the gap between console and PC"

Perfect quote for the stuff I talked about in this post.

• DymeDef likes this

Game512
  • Game512

Prankster

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:36 AM Edited by Game512, 19 September 2013 - 02:36 AM.

Just for laughs  :lol:

http://www.reddit.co...b/dev_build_pc/

gtafanny
  • gtafanny

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:52 AM

i got a feeling the PC version will be released at the same time as the next gen versions.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:54 AM

It's possible fanny. Because they really want to close that gap for us. Kick off the nexgen in that fashion, close of the old gen in the old one, with the same title? f*ck yea lol. Win/win.

lh1
  • lh1

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:14 AM Edited by lh1, 19 September 2013 - 04:20 AM.

This is very interesting, great find. Please try to dig further into GTA V 360 or PS3 if you have one, I think there are more references left.

DonMichaelCorleone
  • DonMichaelCorleone

GTA SA>GTA 4>GTA V End of discussion.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

... aaaaaaaaaaake

I mean its computer for work (workstation/tester) and its got bandicam, fraps, Crysis, bittorrent (could count more but I prove my point...)...

100% fake

I dont think its fake.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

Side post:

Any of you wanting to get into modding, now is the time. Open these files in text editors, and see what works in IV :p

You can probably recreate the handling in IV, damage, etc, to an extent or entirely depending on the case, let's see what's in there:

All common files (handling, carcols, etc) research for differences, and see what works in IV :p

http://openiv.com/?p=924

mirmihir
  • mirmihir

Jerichoholic

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:40 AM

This pretty much confirms that PC version is almost finished at the moment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users