• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20,084 replies to this topic
Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE (brian. @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 14:25)
I'll take your word for that 4 million figure at first, and I will also remind that the launch of GTA IV on PC itself took a *massive* hit due to refunds in the millions count, those "my pc cant max it but i want to max it" folks I spoke about (right? million+ people was it got refunds from steam, first time ever? or was it to the tune of 100k, 1/10 of that? Maybe even 10k? I seriously can't remember how many refunds there were, and don't feel like finding it, but if someone knows? tounge.gif )

Now, while I'll take your word for it, I'll have to ask a few questions, and if you can source that, it would phenomenal for me:

1: When Zelnick said it sold 25 million, when in time was that in relation to your learning it did 21 million units on console platform?

2: With that asked, does it open up a potential that it had sold 21 million on consoles, and then when Strauss said in excess of 25 million, he was again referring only to the console platform?
IE: was there any indication at all this is all-encompassing data - that he is including the pc platform?

I am hard pressed by those curiosities, but 4 million is no small amount of games sold. Many games struggle to do 500k and even 100k sales on consoles, games you would think sell a lot more that simply don't.

There is also the notorious privacy in terms of steam and their sales, no one really knows what steam sells. There are likely ways to find out (scrape the community for everyone's games, apply some math to it to correct it for private profiles, break down master set to 10 controls based on 1/10 of the total each, interpolate totals, multiply 10 times back to total community, have a good safe bet of steam sales number estimates, someone smarter than me should do it, some group smarter than me...)

One thing is okay though, without knowing Steam's actual end user sales, we can still see how many sales a game has made on PC provided we can get that or find that or find sourced that number from the company itself, because of the way steam works. Gabe and the bunch buy a whole crapton of keys up front - instantly those are sales on the PC platform, whether people actually buy them or not. Steam pushes whatever it has and gets more when they need to.

They ran out of GTA IV keys in even recent sales and people had to wait for their keys after purchase, if they chose to go ahead with the buy (for the sale, cause when they got keys, it wasnt on sale anymore - steam is awesome for continuing the sale and not going "out of stock" on its users too, I'm sure sony and ms do stuff like that with live and psn, it's almost the same thing I guess, except I can close steam and do other stuff)

What I'm saying is that we can't really know how much the PC version sold unless we can discern for certain the PC is included in any numbers "25 million across all platforms" etc - where is it said, prior to interpretation? This is important to discern actual numbers for the discussion I think, cause I don't think anyone is gonna try to deduce steam sales for the next year waiting 9 months to finish crawling and indexing it all tounge.gif Probably impossible, but was fun to think about.

According to VGChartz:
Xbox 360: 10.43 Million copies sold.
Playstation 3: 9.85 Million copies sold.
PC: 0.74 Million copies sold.

Now, The console sales alone don't make up the 25 Million Zelnick said was sold, Which means PC has sold around 4-5 million copies.

The thing with Steam though, Is that they have to get the keys from Rockstar, And I'm more than certain they keep track of all those outgoing keys.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:05 AM Edited by Sleepy187., 01 September 2013 - 07:08 AM.

QUOTE (Killerdude8 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 06:48)
According to VGChartz:

Now, The console sales alone don't make up the 25 Million Zelnick said was sold, Which means PC has sold around 4-5 million copies.

The thing with Steam though, Is that they have to get the keys from Rockstar, And I'm more than certain they keep track of all those outgoing keys.

You're ... :| Never mind...

Are you going to use VGChartz as a reliable source? Heh...

Never mind, checked the previous page for a source. smile.gif

Anyway, IV will continue to sell on PC like fresh bread, whilst on console it'll be dead.

satsv2
  • satsv2

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 07:05)
According to VGChartz:

Also, where did Zelnick said that they sold 25 million? I'd love a source on that.

You dont need pin-point accurate information.
VGACharts does tell the overall picture of how copes were sold on each platform.

The difference between console and PC is huge (9 Million). That is what you can infer from the data. Even if the values changed by ~(500,000)
it wouldnt change anything.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

The data in VGChartz appears to be incomplete. If you go down the list and look for the Complete editions and so forth, it says zero copies sold, which clearly just isn't true.

Zelnick is bound by the 1933 Truth in Securities Act, which means he can't just go misrepresenting anything in any public statements he makes. So if he says the GTA:IV sales to date are 25m copies, it pretty much has to be true.

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (satsv2 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 07:14)
QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 07:05)
According to VGChartz:

Also, where did Zelnick said that they sold 25 million? I'd love a source on that.

You dont need pin-point accurate information.
VGACharts does tell the overall picture of how copes were sold on each platform.

The difference between console and PC is huge (9 Million). That is what you can infer from the data. Even if the values changed by ~(500,000)
it wouldnt change anything.

Of course difference is 9million, because PS3 and XBOX360 vs PC is 2 consoles vs PC, and 6 months advantage. Next!

@meson1, we didn't saw gloves in GTA IV even they were in trailer. Im pretty sure not everbody respects law, neither do I.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (r34ld34l @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 08:45)
@meson1, we didn't see gloves in GTA IV even though they were in trailer. I'm pretty sure not everybody respects law, neither do I.

Virtual hand apparel in a video game is not the basis on which someone might potentially make an investment in Take-Two Interactive; sales data is.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 01:05)
According to VGChartz:

Never mind, checked the previous page for a source. smile.gif

Anyway, IV will continue to sell on PC like fresh bread, whilst on console it'll be dead.

Care to list off any other more reliable sources?
What's that?
No?

Vgchartz is the most reliable site we have out there currently, the only thing it doesn't count is digital sales, but other than that, it's accurate. And it still proves my point, GTA IV on PC only sold around 4-5 million copies, if you'd care to disprove me and list your own findings, please do.

FutoDriver
  • FutoDriver

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:38 AM Edited by FutoDriver, 01 September 2013 - 09:10 AM.

QUOTE (Killerdude8 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 08:15)

Vgchartz is the most reliable site we have out there currently, the only thing it doesn't count is digital sales, but other than that, it's accurate. And it still proves my point, GTA IV on PC only sold around 4-5 million copies, if you'd care to disprove me and list your own findings, please do.

yeah, only digital sales is discounted..ya know the most important aspect in any PC platform sales. lol.gif sigh.gif

When are you guys going to realize we PC gamers abandoned the brick and mortar stores nearly a decade ago now. VGChartz ain't worth a dime in talking PC sales. It's funny how EA/Ubisoft keep coming out saying the PC is amongst their biggest platforms (Ubisoft just did again recently), Yet VGChartz keep missing the beat.

http://www.examiner....s-150-10-months

According to EA, digital sales for its 2012 fiscal year were up 47% over the previous year which helped expand profit margins for the company. This represents a $1.2 billion figure in Non-GAAP revenue for the publisher.

$150 million that won't even register on sites like VGChartz.

https://www.ubisoftg...tcm:95-27313-32

Sales in the second quarter of 2012-13 were higher than the guidance of around €110 million issued when Ubisoft released its sales figures for the first quarter of the fiscal year. Of this increase:
Around half was attributable to the performance of Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Future Soldier™ and back-catalog sales as well as our online revenues, with the online segment reporting a 59% jump to €28 million.

Guess that 28 million won't be reported on VGChartz either.

http://www.hybris.co...s/121010-gaming

The study found that over half of PC and Mac and console gamers play weekly. And of those who had purchased new PC and Mac game content in the past year, while 47% bought boxed computer games at bricks-and-mortar stores such as Wal-Mart, 34% purchased games on retailer websites, and 13% bought from game studio or publishers online. In addition, 41% bought game downloads on retailer websites such as amazon.com, 24% on game studio or publisher websites, and 21% on digital platforms such as Steam.

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (meson1 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 08:10)
QUOTE (r34ld34l @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 08:45)
@meson1, we didn't see gloves in GTA IV even though they were in trailer. I'm pretty sure not everybody respects law, neither do I.

Virtual hand apparel in a video game is not the basis on which someone might potentially make an investment in Take-Two Interactive; sales data is.

Again, maybe, not everybody follows law, if anybody. I know I don't know anybody that respect every law outhere, they (he) might telling the truth but not because law says so, but because of investors.

kastrenzo
  • kastrenzo

Hustler

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:19 PM Edited by kastrenzo, 01 September 2013 - 12:22 PM.

QUOTE (Killerdude8 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 03:48)
QUOTE (brian. @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 14:25)
I'll take your word for that 4 million figure at first, and I will also remind that the launch of GTA IV on PC itself took a *massive* hit due to refunds in the millions count, those "my pc cant max it but i want to max it" folks I spoke about (right? million+ people was it got refunds from steam, first time ever? or was it to the tune of 100k, 1/10 of that? Maybe even 10k? I seriously can't remember how many refunds there were, and don't feel like finding it, but if someone knows? tounge.gif )

Now, while I'll take your word for it, I'll have to ask a few questions, and if you can source that, it would phenomenal for me:

1: When Zelnick said it sold 25 million, when in time was that in relation to your learning it did 21 million units on console platform?

2: With that asked, does it open up a potential that it had sold 21 million on consoles, and then when Strauss said in excess of 25 million, he was again referring only to the console platform?
IE: was there any indication at all this is all-encompassing data - that he is including the pc platform?

I am hard pressed by those curiosities, but 4 million is no small amount of games sold. Many games struggle to do 500k and even 100k sales on consoles, games you would think sell a lot more that simply don't.

There is also the notorious privacy in terms of steam and their sales, no one really knows what steam sells. There are likely ways to find out (scrape the community for everyone's games, apply some math to it to correct it for private profiles, break down master set to 10 controls based on 1/10 of the total each, interpolate totals, multiply 10 times back to total community, have a good safe bet of steam sales number estimates, someone smarter than me should do it, some group smarter than me...)

One thing is okay though, without knowing Steam's actual end user sales, we can still see how many sales a game has made on PC provided we can get that or find that or find sourced that number from the company itself, because of the way steam works. Gabe and the bunch buy a whole crapton of keys up front - instantly those are sales on the PC platform, whether people actually buy them or not. Steam pushes whatever it has and gets more when they need to.

They ran out of GTA IV keys in even recent sales and people had to wait for their keys after purchase, if they chose to go ahead with the buy (for the sale, cause when they got keys, it wasnt on sale anymore - steam is awesome for continuing the sale and not going "out of stock" on its users too, I'm sure sony and ms do stuff like that with live and psn, it's almost the same thing I guess, except I can close steam and do other stuff)

What I'm saying is that we can't really know how much the PC version sold unless we can discern for certain the PC is included in any numbers "25 million across all platforms" etc - where is it said, prior to interpretation? This is important to discern actual numbers for the discussion I think, cause I don't think anyone is gonna try to deduce steam sales for the next year waiting 9 months to finish crawling and indexing it all tounge.gif Probably impossible, but was fun to think about.

According to VGChartz:

stop quoting VGChartz, it's inaccurate information as Valve *Steam* does not release sales numbers,

if it's anything to go by, they have run out of GTA4 CD Keys multiple times, which means it's somewhere betwen 2 and 5 million now.

you say "the only thing it doesnt list is digital sales", like it's nothing.

I'll give you a hint, PC gaming overtook console gaming in 2011, And most of it was because of free to play *aka pay to win* MMOs and facebook games and such, which is all digital.

Digital sales are probably 50 times larger on the PC platform than the Consoles, No one buys retail PC games anymore.

kastrenzo
  • kastrenzo

Hustler

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (ZeeKid2k10 @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 18:50)
GTA4 PC sales sold under 2 million lol

That's false.

Also, even if it were so, 2 million. at $30-60 each. Is still enough to turn a profit off the game. and that's all publishers care about on a sales model

lol.gif

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (kastrenzo @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 15:25)
QUOTE (ZeeKid2k10 @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 18:50)
GTA4 PC sales sold under 2 million lol

That's false.

Also, even if it were so, 2 million. at $30-60 each. Is still enough to turn a profit off the game. and that's all publishers care about on a sales model

lol.gif

I wonder what will console players say when V is announced for PC..

AlasClarin
  • AlasClarin

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

That's false.

lol.gif

So many stupid kids here...

http://www.gamingent...-sales-down-28/

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (AlasClarin @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 12:38)

That's false.

lol.gif

So many stupid kids here...

http://www.gamingent...-sales-down-28/

That article is stupid. Comeback of gaming PC? Gamers never left PC, new gamers went to consoles and then came to PC.

dickcranley
  • dickcranley

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Still no news, the days grow dark in Mordor

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (dickcranley @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 13:50)

Wait after the release, you'll be seeing GTA V PC announcement on newswire.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 14:37)
I wonder what will console players say when V is announced for PC..

The ones who bash the PC gamers the whole time and try to prove how this game will never arrive this platform will most likely leave the day Rockstar announces the PC version, since they are going to be seriously embarrassed. Not to mention that they will lose their entire credibility, even more than they already did. I think the same happened back then in 2008 when we had the exact same discussions around here.

QUOTE (dickcranley @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 15:50)

Do not expect any announcement until around a couple of months after the initial release. It is the same procedure every time, and it will not be different this time, either.

kamuran
  • kamuran

Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'm stoked to gta 5 on Xbox 360 for like 300 hours before PC. Then when PC comes out, I'll play the crap out of it. I will probably buy a new graphics card. A gtx 790 if that's out by then. f*ck yeah.

sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

There is still this lingering doubt Rockstar won't bother with a pc version of V. It would of course be an utter shame. I bought an xbox to be able to play RDR and V, but for a real gaming experience, this console doesn"t cut it. Keyboard and mouse over some controller any day, better graphics and of course modding the game to hell.

In any case, if it comes. i would forget the hours spend on V on the xbox, and have a superior experience on real hardware, bring it on !

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:44 PM Edited by SilverRST, 01 September 2013 - 06:46 PM.

QUOTE (sjaak327 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 20:36)
There is still this lingering doubt Rockstar won't bother with a pc version of V. It would of course be an utter shame. I bought an xbox to be able to play RDR and V, but for a real gaming experience, this console doesn"t cut it. Keyboard and mouse over some controller any day, better graphics and of course modding the game to hell.

In any case, if it comes. i would forget the hours spend on V on the xbox, and have a superior experience on real hardware, bring it on !

And of course your simple native trainer!
I messed with GTAIV all day with your trainer, so handy and fun. Hopefully you'll do the same to V if it comes to PC.

But V WILL come to PC, the biggest question is: when?
R* can't deny the PC version, every GTA despite the Stories are released for PC so V will too.
PC hardware todays are 5 times stronger and faster than when GTAIV was released for PC.
AMD will be releasing new HD9000 series, one of them will outperform the GTX Titan and some factory overclocked GTX780 also outperforms the Titan.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:06 PM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 02 September 2013 - 08:24 PM.

QUOTE (SilverRST @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 00:57)
i7-3770's are cheap these days, (sure it depents in which country you live) and there are several

While that is true, it would be better to pick up an i7 4770, which is barely more expensive but newer and slightly faster. But, it would be even smarter to pick up an i5 4670k, if you want to overclock, or a Xeon E3-1230V3, which is basically a 4770 with the difference that is underclocked by 100MHz, it supports ECC RAM and it doesn't have an iGP; and it's around as expensive as the i5.

I bought a Fractal Design Define R4, an i5 4670k and a MSI Z87 G43 motherboard a week ago. And I purchased 8GB DDR3 RAM and a Gigabyte GeForce GTX460 1GB OC around two and a half years ago. GTA IV runs with all settings on high, view- and detail distance on 100 and vehicle density on 60 with around 40FPS, according to the in-game benchmark. It's insane how much power you need to run a five years old game on high settings with a good framerate, but it is what it is. The game looks pretty good regardless of that, though. I wonder how V is going to run, but I doubt that it will require even more power. I expect the system requirements to be about the same, with the difference that it will run a bit better on weaker PC's, and it will use the full capabilities of High-End PC's.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:17 PM Edited by SilverRST, 01 September 2013 - 07:24 PM.

QUOTE (Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 21:06)
QUOTE (SilverRST @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 00:57)
i7-3770's are cheap these days, (sure it depents in which country you live) and there are several

While that is true, it would be better to pick up an i7 4770, which is barely more expensive but newer and slightly faster. But, it would be even smarter to pick up an i5 4670k, if you want to overclock, or a Xeon E3-1230V3, which is basically a 4770 with the difference that is underclocked by 100MHz, and it doesn't have an iGP; and it's around as expensive as the i5.

I bought a Fractal Design Define R4, an i5 4670k and a MSI Z87 G43 motherboard a week ago. I purchased 8GB DDR3 RAM around two and a half years ago, and I built everything together. My graphics-card is a Gigabyte GeForce GTX460 1GB OC, and I can play GTA IV with all settings on high, view- and detail distance on 100 and vehicle density on 60 with around 40FPS, according to the in-game benchmark. It's insane how much power you need to run a five years old game on high settings with a good framerate, but it is what it is. The game looks pretty good regardless of that, though. I wonder how V is going to run, but I doubt that it will require even more power. I expect the system requirements to be about the same, with the difference that it will run a bit better on weaker PC's, and it will use the full capabilities of Hign-End PC's.

I see. Too bad the Haswell won't work on MSI-Z77-GD65. Great audio is very important for me and
it seems the GD65 is the only good choice.
Gaming is not the main reason as I'll use my PC for many media like video converting and such.
But anyhow anyway, I'll be building a new PC this holiday.

How is the Fractal Design R4? Does it have good airflow? How are the temps?
I keep having the GTX780 in mind, I'm too smart enough to tweak/optimize the settings I won't need to upgrade
in the upcoming 4 years or more.
AA is not really needed when playing on 1080p IMO, therefor having better framerates and to keep the GPU/CPU less hot.

kinobla
  • kinobla

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (SilverRST @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 19:17)
I'm too smart enough

Right suicidal.gif

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:41 PM Edited by SilverRST, 01 September 2013 - 07:43 PM.

QUOTE (kinobla @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 21:36)
I'm too smart enough

Right suicidal.gif

Dude, get lost if you gonna reply like that.
What do you think I mean when I said that?

Read again:
I'm too smart enough to tweak/optimize the settings I won't need to upgrade

Reported.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (kinobla @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 19:36)
I'm too smart enough

Right suicidal.gif

Come back when you have a decent reply that contributes to the discussion.

..or when 20 kids, just don't spam with these useless posts.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:21 PM Edited by brian., 01 September 2013 - 08:23 PM.

Ok guys, one for you to run with:

Anyone else having as much trouble as I am having finding any hard edges on this plane anywhere that would not be intentionally kept hard? Am I fooling myself on this one, or is this plane far too smooth to be a low poly model? It is typical for the vehicles to be high poly, but you can usually still find some hard edges somewhere - I can't see any wow.gif

And those supporting wires sure look a little crunchy, as if they were downscaled a lot, no?

I'm not being sly to get others to support my theory on the image on their own - I really can't decide on this one tounge.gif

user posted image

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (SilverRST @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 21:17)
Gaming is not the main reason as I'll use my PC for many media like video converting and such.
But anyhow anyway, I'll be building a new PC this holiday.

How is the Fractal Design R4? Does it have good airflow? How are the temps?
I keep having the GTX780 in mind, I'm too smart enough to tweak/optimize the settings I won't need to upgrade
AA is not really needed when playing on 1080p IMO, therefor having better framerates and to keep the GPU/CPU less hot.

Then the E3-1230V3 is the way to go for you. It is a server processor, but since it uses the 1150 socket, it does work with mainstream Haswell motherboards. ECC RAM is not a requirement, so you can use normal non-ECC RAM as well.

The Define R4 PC case is very good. It has a mass of detailed reviews and lots of good votes, all well deserved. I haven't tested the temperatures all that much yet, but I have overclocked my GPU a little and checked the temps of it, obviously. First, it went to more than 85°C like in the old PC case after only 10 minutes, but then I decided to change something. I have opened the case, reconnected the cables of the fans in order to take use of the fan control and see there, it did in fact change something!

The original GTX460 is clocked at 675/1350/1800 @ 1.000V while the Gigabyte version is slightly overclocked to 715/1430. I OC'd it further to 815/1630/2000 @ 1.050V and after running MSI Kombustor for one and a half hours, the temperature was at 73°C. That is when I let run the PC case fans at 12V, which I can hear since the PC is only around half a meter away from me, but it's very quiet.

The thing I like about the Define R4 is that it is customizable, and it has cable management. That's just perfect, especially if you have a power supply that also has cable managment, like me. The only cables that really hang around in the case, is the SATA cable for the DVD drive, the ATX24-pin- and ATX 12V power connector. The rest is either on the bottom of the case, or behind the motherboard, which is good for a great airflow to keep the PC parts cool. If you have only one HDD, or two, or three at maximum, then you can place them in the HDD cage on the bottom to remove the HDD cage that sits on the bottom one. If you do that, then the PC fans on the front will cool the graphic-card(s) instead of the HDDs, although the bottom fan will cool both.

I think that AA should be used at 1080p, if your hardware is able to do so. The resolution is high, yes, but you can still see some jaggies if you don't apply AA. Best example is GTA IV, which doesn't have AA at all. I'm playing it in Full-HD and I still see some jaggies. However, you can use anti-aliasing that is based on the shaders, such as FXAA and SMAA. It doesn't hit the performance all that much, but the results are clearly better than no AA.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:29 PM Edited by brian., 01 September 2013 - 08:32 PM.

Yea, the higher the res, the less you need AA, but the further away things are in the 3d scene, effectively their own local resolution is smaller.

IE, "everything" is jaggy at 800x600. but go up to that 1080p example, and it's all pretty much sharpened up - until the mid clip and things are being drawn very small. That same object that was jaggy up close on 800x600, will be jaggy again once it's 20 or 30 meters away on higher res, so the AA does still stay important for the mid and far clip, at least until LOD comes or detail objects are no longer dressing the high detail buildings before the LOD kicks in.

The further the detail/view distance, or the further a game lets you see detail, the more you will want aa to avoid jagginess, but yes, it truly is a less important effect at higher res than it was in its glory days of 1024x768 standards tounge.gif

Definitely you want to run some AA for the best picture, even on resolutions that make it seem redundant, you can still find places it would help. FXAA or SMAA is probably the best AA for high res gaming (performance and quality compared/trade offs in mind) - once you get to the high enough res where only a bit or a piece here and there aliases, then you can let FXAA smudge it a little bit in post fxaa and not spend too much power on a traditional aa pass.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:31 PM Edited by SilverRST, 01 September 2013 - 08:42 PM.

Alright, the Define R4 sounds good to me.
And what about the case fans? I'm thinking to get the Fractal Core 3000 as it can have case fans which I can adjust the speed easily.
At the back of the PC I can adjust it there instead of having the cables inside the PC.
So when playing, I set it at max and when not gaming, turn off the case fans.

Lol, hate quoting posts tounge.gif
This reply is to Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian

And editing to brian and Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, as long as the game keeps running really great and
GPU not running hot, I'll adjust and turn on AA.

And what is the best: EVGA GTX780 SC w/ ACX or MSI Lightning GTX780?

EDIT2
To the smooth-ass plane posted by brian. Yes, it's really hard to spot polygones dges, everyting is round.
But that is not from the gameplay video as there is AA and of course tessellation and thelighting is different.
I really hope GTAV will get those smoothness on PC.

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 20:21)
Ok guys, one for you to run with:

Anyone else having as much trouble as I am having finding any hard edges on this plane anywhere that would not be intentionally kept hard? Am I fooling myself on this one, or is this plane far too smooth to be a low poly model? It is typical for the vehicles to be high poly, but you can usually still find some hard edges somewhere - I can't see any wow.gif

And those supporting wires sure look a little crunchy, as if they were downscaled a lot, no?

I'm not being sly to get others to support my theory on the image on their own - I really can't decide on this one tounge.gif

Not only is it that, but the view distance is way too high in that picture.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users