PC Version of GTA V Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20,084 replies to this topic
sats
  • sats

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

The exact reason why gta v will not be on pc is because of the rage engine its built for consoles and its very hard to port or make pc game using that engine thats why gta 4 ran like sh*t on pc and red dead never got released on pc.dont tell me they made max payne 3 on pc good,its a linear game so they worked for many years to optimize it.but gta v map is 5 times bigger than gta 4 map.so its very very hard to port gta v to pc.so gta v will not be on pc.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (sats @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 17:53)
The exact reason why gta v will not be on pc is because of the rage engine its built for consoles and its very hard to port or make pc game using that engine thats why gta 4 ran like sh*t on pc and red dead never got released on pc.dont tell me they made max payne 3 on pc good,its a linear game so they worked for many years to optimize it.but gta v map is 5 times bigger than gta 4 map.so its very very hard to port gta v to pc.so gta v will not be on pc.

My IQ dropped by 75% whilst reading this.
  • Xerukal likes this

DymeDef
  • DymeDef

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (sats @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 14:53)

Lol, RDR required hacks to run on Xbox 360.

Your lack of knowledge is hilarious. The video released yesterday was obviously PS3 or Xbox 360 (likely PS3) footage. Look at the GTA Online video compared to it, its obviously in muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better quality than the one released yesterday. You shouldn't be allowed to post in here with how stupid you are.

sats
  • sats

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 14:56)
QUOTE (sats @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 17:53)

My IQ dropped by 75% whilst reading this.

Looks like i have done a good job. rolleyes.gif

HaciSerkanOsman
  • HaciSerkanOsman

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:01 PM Edited by HaciSerkanOsman, 30 August 2013 - 03:03 PM.

QUOTE (DymeDef @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 14:58)

Lol, RDR required hacks to run on Xbox 360.

Your lack of knowledge is hilarious. The video released yesterday was obviously PS3 or Xbox 360 (likely PS3) footage. Look at the GTA Online video compared to it, its obviously in muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better quality than the one released yesterday. You shouldn't be allowed to post in here with how stupid you are.

no both trailer look simila.But Trailer 1 look the best.They made the graphics "worse" since Trailer 2

kastrenzo
  • kastrenzo

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Looks like I have done a good job

You just admitted that you are a moron.

FutoDriver
  • FutoDriver

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

LMAO! You honestly think objects and map size have anything to do with porting?

ViciousLuke
  • ViciousLuke

Ermahgerd GTA V

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:09 PM Edited by ViciousLuke, 30 August 2013 - 03:14 PM.

Just report him.

But damn. He said this was on PS4, then people told him to GTFO and then he started talking about GTA V for PC biggrin.gif How can someone be so retarded? With his second account he said that there will be GTA V for PC after 20 comments "THIER WONT BE A PC VERSION BECAZ IZ A RAGE ENGAIN ITS TO HARD TO PORT FROM CONSELS TO PC". Lol. I bet his parents calls him a special one.

Yes, map size is clearly very important because we have never seen MMORPGs on PC.

stefag40
  • stefag40

#TeamYay

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

Well guys from your aspect and all this photo what do you think what should be system requirements for GTA 5 PC?

ViciousLuke
  • ViciousLuke

Ermahgerd GTA V

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (stefag40 @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 15:21)
Well guys from your aspect and all this photo what do you think what should be system requirements for GTA 5 PC?

The same as GTA IV. Maybe a little bit higher.

FutoDriver
  • FutoDriver

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:36 PM Edited by FutoDriver, 30 August 2013 - 03:41 PM.

QUOTE (stefag40 @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 15:21)

If Rockstar have put some effort in on the PC version, then it's safe to say you could get it looking better than the PS3/X360 version with GTA IV specs. Assuming those 'touched up' photos are indeed from next gen (the evidence is there to suggest it is) then you'll be wanting a i5/i7 processor with 8 gig ram and at least a Nvidia 560 ti/AMD 7850 graphics card.

Edit :- Sorry, didn't mean to show Intel bias there on the processor part. I'm just a bit out of the loop what the AMD equivalent is, but I'm sure you could use that just fine whatever it is. biggrin.gif

dickcranley
  • dickcranley

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

I highly doubt it will be coming to PC. No evidence yet. And the dev kit doesn't mean PC is coming either.

DymeDef
  • DymeDef

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (dickcranley @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 15:49)
I highly doubt it will be coming to PC. No evidence yet. And the dev kit doesn't mean PC is coming either.

The retard is stronk with this one.

How stupid are you people. A dev kit console can not activate dx11 features. The console can not handle them, plain and simple. Nothing against consoles, they are just old tech now. It's not possible to obtain the features that have shown in some screen shots on a current gen console.

PacketOVerload_x64Bit
  • PacketOVerload_x64Bit

Window Licker 4 Blondes

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

Perhaps it always was Rockstar's vision and goal to create such a circumstance around GTA V that the PC crowd would turn into a rabid pack of famished dogs re: the title. If that is the case, mission accomplished. More sales. I am confident now, nearing such a release date and not releasing information on the PC platform, the game is assuredly going to be released on PC. The complete avoidance of the topic by Rockstar brass shows how important the information actually is. If there was not a version coming for PC Rockstar would have stated it by now in order to ensure more sales on the other platforms - to ensure those who might be waiting for a PC version would still buy, buy, buy.

ViciousLuke
  • ViciousLuke

Ermahgerd GTA V

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

Now evidence he said biggrin.gif

Retard.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:51 PM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 30 August 2013 - 04:57 PM.

QUOTE (brian. @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 02:01)
Some say before christmas. - Unlikely. Possible, but unlikely. [...]

Some say March to April - potentially likely, for fiscal and various other hypothetical and not so hypothetical development related reasons, like the contrast of needing to start from the beginning at porting, to the brighter optimism of it just needing to be polished and people taking their last little pass over the game before it ships to new gen and pc. [...]

Some say June - as much as I prefer to deny this possibility, it is the "most likely" of them all [...]

That are some interesting points. Personally, I think a release in this year is unlikely if we don't get an announcement by mid to late October. It has to be by then, because even though it is the same game just on another platform, it still needs about a couple of months of advertising. But if Rockstar is doing what they did with GTA IV and L.A. Noire, then it's four months of advertising after the announcement of the PC version, which suggests that there wouldn't be any way for a release before February. And that is if the announcement happens in October.

At this point, it is the best to not expect with a release this year, but we can at least expect the announcement by December or earlier. I think that June is a little too late - that would be nine months after the initial release. Looking through the history of past Rockstar releases, that seems a bit off to me. It will be earlier most likely. So, the release is probably somewhere in March or April. The former one would make sense to boost both, fiscal year 2014 and fiscal year 2015.

QUOTE (sats @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 08:25)
The launch trailer gameplay is from ps4.

Just to let you know, you are very wrong and that twice in the same sentence. Firstly, the official trailer is not the launch trailer. It is called official trailer, because the footage is entirely from the final build of the game. It gives you an idea how GTAV will look like on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on the release date. And it's the trailer that will be shown everywhere. It can be seen in popular TV stations, for instance. The actual launch trailer will not publish until a day prior the launch, or even the day the game is coming out.

Secondly, the in-game footage you have seen in the most recent trailer, or in any of the other trailers is not from a next-gen platform. I'm not denying that the graphic are impressive, because I must admit they are looking good for a PS3/X360 title. But they are not unbelievably amazing. They are good, but not good enough to say that it has to be from a console that isn't even out yet. It's clearly rendered on DirectX9 (equal) hardware. So, it is definitely from current-gen consoles, that is a given and you can say what you want - it is a fact. Compare the trailer to the trailers of next-gen titles, you will see a massive difference, and it is enough evidence to show that V looks inferior compared to those games - no wonder, it's a game developed for current-gen hardware.

QUOTE (sats @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 16:53)
The exact reason why gta v will not be on pc is because of the rage engine its built for consoles and its very hard to port or make pc game using that engine thats why gta 4 ran like sh*t on pc and red dead never got released on pc.

No, it's definitely not as hard as you make it sound like. There is one recent Rockstar title that was released for PC and it got a special treatment - namely Max Payne 3. As a matter of fact, the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine is already running on PC, and that since GTA IV in 2008. It was far from being optimized back then, but Rockstar did it pretty well with their most recent title. It works, it is optimized properly, and a huge upgrade to IV's build of the engine. Every game from Rockstar Games uses RAGE since Table Tennis in 2006. It has been the same engine since then, and each game uses another build of it. And it takes over the innovations of past builds every time, provided that it is needed.

IV was a terrible port, yes, but it was the very first time that RAGE was used for an openworld game. Not to mention the fact that IV was also the very first Rockstar title this generation that was released for PC. No wonder that there were massive problems at the beginning. But it was alright after the fourth patch, let alone later patches. As for Red Dead, I have told you this a few times already, but you just seem to ignore it: RDR was developed by Rockstar San Diego. Do some research about this studio's titles. They do not port their games for PC, ever since Take-Two took over the studio a decade ago, for unknown reasons. Midnight Club II was the very last game from that studio that was released for PC.

QUOTE (sats @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 16:53)
dont tell me they made max payne 3 on pc good,its a linear game so they worked for many years to optimize it.but gta v map is 5 times bigger than gta 4 map.so its very very hard to port gta v to pc.so gta v will not be on pc.

Of course, they worked many years on it. It takes years to create videogames on the current platforms, and that will not change in the future. And in the years they develope games, they have the time to properly optimize the engine of them. Max Payne 3 is a linear game, that is correct. But it still does use the same engine after all. It still incorporates a mass of improvements and it was optimized pretty well. And all that will carry over to GTAV. This game uses still the same engine, so including these improvement shouldn't be a problem - it already works with the engine, and the game itself shouldn't matter all that much. The map size has absolutely nothing to do with the difficulty to port a game of the scale of V to PC. A bigger map means that more textures and models have to be created, that's correct, but it doesn't make it more difficult by any means. The engine itself is what matters, the shaders and the graphics library in general.

It is not the first time Rockstar ported a game from a console to PC. They did it with GTA IV and Episodes from Liberty City. They did it again with L.A. Noire, and they did a somewhat decent job even though this title uses a customized engine - not RAGE. MP3 was not a port as it was developed in tandem for X360, PS3 and PC. We know that V is developed in tandem for both consoles - and it has yet to be confirmed if the PC version is also developed seperatly, with the difference that it will be optimized at a later time, or if it's going to be a port. I'm assuming that the former one is the case, and I really hope so.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, I can't say it better myself.

And about the response to my post, yea man, that all sounds solid, 9 months indeed would be too long. Fingers crossed for that announcement by october, and for 2 months of marketing after rather than four tounge.gif

DymeDef
  • DymeDef

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 17:00)
Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, I can't say it better myself.

And about the response to my post, yea man, that all sounds solid, 9 months indeed would be too long. Fingers crossed for that announcement by october, and for 2 months of marketing after rather than four tounge.gif

There's plenty of reason for both a December release and a march/April release. But I'm sure we are all hoping for the former tounge.gif

ViciousLuke
  • ViciousLuke

Ermahgerd GTA V

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Now when I read again what Rockstar said about PC and their focus on X360/PS3, it looks like they are saying "We are focused on X360/PS3 and not giving all recourses for a PC version at this time". I don't know if it's only for me, but for me it sounds like this. Their focus on consoles doesn't mean they are not able to develop PC version at the time. And yeah, expect announcement in October or November. I remember when GTA IV was announced for PC, for a week we heard rumours about PC version announcement and then suddenly ----- BAM! PC version confirmed and even got it's own trailer. I expect exactly the same.

And by the way, like someone already mentioned in this thread before, Rockstar needs human recources to support GTA V ant GTA Online after release. It's one of the biggest games in current generation and it will break records for a best or fastest selling game (I am pretty sure about that), so they need to fix all the problem after the game is released. They need to help people, answer their questions and fix problems with the game itself and there are more things. So they need people to do that. 2 weeks of hard work and then ---- GTA Online released. Maybe that's why they are going to release it 2 weeks later. They know that they are not capable of supporting 2 very big games at the same time. And problems in multiplayer games are even bigger than in singleplayer games. They need people to fix the game, to help people. I am sure that both of the games will have many issues at the start. And then imagine -- GTA V for PC released at the same time... PC version would have even more problems at the start (incompatibility with windows, all kind of errors etc.). I think Rockstar isn't capable of maintaining such a big games for all 3 platforms at the same time.

That's only my 2 cents.

kastrenzo
  • kastrenzo

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (FutoDriver @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 15:09)

There is no limit to how big a game can be on a PC.

Unlike a console, which is limited to disc size, and the amount of space on it's single hard drive

It's not a biased PC fanboy statement, it's a cold hard fact.

suicidal.gif

kastrenzo
  • kastrenzo

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

It's not even a dev kit.

It's a world editor.

This is what a dev kit is
user posted image

This is what a world/level editor is
user posted image

So if Rockstar told you you're getting a development kit on GTAV, They lied.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:35 PM Edited by brian., 30 August 2013 - 06:38 PM.

Exactly Luke.

What happens is, a game the size and scope of GTA V, it's going to be one of those games people "think" their system should be able to "max out", but think so for the wrong reasons.

Since PC Gamers are the "hermits" that we are, and we spend all of our time on PC's whether working on them, gaming on them, chatting on them - whatever it may be, we're "always" here.

When we "talk smack" with our friends, it's in public places on forums, or in chat rooms -

What happens, is that when a game like this which is so demanding in "invisible ways" (where the graphics seem somewhat low definition compared to other genres, but the other genres are very simple to render compared to very active scenes like those in GTA), people expect too much of their 5 year old PC and then they hit the internet.

"This game sucks, it's broken, bad port, sh*t game"

Enough of them will not mention that they are on PC, or that their PC is a single core laptop etc - they just get their point and opinion across "this game is bad news, stay away".

We can't have that ruining the sales of console versions that are not subject to the varied performance of PC's.

So aside from business reasons, as you said, it is a different beast in terms of quality control - the quality control is in the hands of the end users, and the end users often do not "respect" the beast that is their games (respect the requirements - architectures, not just ghz or ram size, but also ram speed etc).

So it's best to let the internet flood with rave reviews, "works great", "cant believe they made it run this good on these consoles" etc - rather than the "vocal minority" of PC gamers ending up looking like the majority and making people judge the game before they get it themselves tounge.gif

Where a PC gamer's inability to accept his rig is too old for max textures or whatever, can turn a console gamer - who will face none of the potential problems a pc gamer will face - into a no-buy, and they would have had a great time, but listened to a PC guy, who didn't mention his "review" was based on performance on his old PC.

See what I mean? A game of this scope, this demanding, especially the modern features it will carry - they definitely do not want PC users disgruntled while they are trying to sell the initial bulk, right? tounge.gif

On top of it, it is a win/win situation for them:

Win #1 is the aforementioned crowd-control where the only people who can comment on the game are playing it on a "it just works" platform - reducing complaints significantly at that crucial launch time.

Win #2 is that once the PC and nexgen version rolls out, people who already played the game have every reason to get either of them they choose, because they will come with better graphics, more traffic and peds, and more importantly, the ability to capture your gameplays (and potentially edit them, at least on PC). So they get to sell it twice to many people who get in on the initial launch.

Let's hope that we will hear about it at least by November, I hope it doesn't take longer than that - it should only be a matter of weeks before they reach any high-goal of launch units moved or until the hype is proven real. When it leaves the headlines, basically. Kotaku will be writing about this game for a month straight, for sure, along with many others - it's after this initial "post-launch hype" wears off (to the point that newer/releasing games are now being heard about more often) that we can expect an official announcement.

I think that'll be the best bet at gaining a hunch that an official announcement is around the corner, will be when they are satisfied that the world knows just how special this title really is. When it's too late for complainers to ruin the game.

CoD does simultaneous releases - check these two points out in contrast:

1: they release at the same time, and pc players are overshadowed and forgotten about. The game is less likely to be "demanding" than GTA is, for obvious reasons, even with top level effects and techniques, that game should run just fine.

2: bobby kotick is on record saying "cod is a console game now, we support the pc, but it's really a console title" - thus, they have no reason to want to sell extra copies later to the same people of an "enhanced" copy, because their target, and their direct business partner in xbox, their target is that console, and the other one, and lastly PC.

So in this way, since their target is the wishes of the xbox initiative to replace PC's with closed consoles with less freedom, it actually serves them greatly to release it at the same time:

PC and console gamers participate in the same launch hype. PC gamers complain and get made fun of by console gamers who don't care if dedis are in or not, just that the game works and the maps are good - in this way, whether intentional or not, they are able to dismantle their PC base, slowly, but dismantled nonetheless.

They (game developers) basically use the audience for the most powerful parts of marketing, in these two cases, they are two extremes. Rockstar will release the sure-fire hit first, and then avoid consumer confusion from disgruntled PC gamers who really just need to lower some certain settings or to upgrade their PC, while Activision leverages the disgruntled PC gamer, knowing that the target audience is much louder than them anyway, letting the console players do the work of turning away the PC players.

A hole in my ATVI comparison is that IW is giving PC version of Ghosts "better assets than the nexgen consoles" and making a slight fuss about their PC version. To be fair, Kotick said CoD was "now a console game" when Treyarch took over for CoD3. CoD4 was in planning at the time, and IW were the ones who were PC centric from the start. Treyarch tries to say they are, but they are not at all. IW's Modern Warfare series was never supposed to be CoD anymore. CoD4 ended up it, but MW2 was going to be its own stand-alone new game series, but they were worried about rcognition again, so stuck with CoD: MW2. So technically, you could say that "plans changed" and now IW is the PC centric, while treyarch is the console centric - but either way, they seem to leverage PC complaints as "more reason to buy a console", whereas Rockstar seems to avoid that mess entirely, and stagger the releases instead.

I think Max Payne got near-simultaneous release because it was a PC game first and foremost (the pc versions of that series were always cutting edge, even though they looked excellent on PS2 at the time as well, they were amazing on PC at the time, Max Payne 2 on PC was like higher quality than half life 2. Hell, it basically looked like GTA IV, just not dynamically lit and obviously nowhere near the scope). While that is the case, I believe that Rockstar is a multiplatform developer thanks to the initiatives on that title, and they are more likely just trying at handling the IP well in the face of platform disparity, rather than this being anything about development icon14.gif

@Kast: Both of those are world editors tounge.gif Source SDK has that program, hammer, as its level editor tounge.gif One is an ingame consumer aftermarket content editor, and the other is a producrtion editor, that's all tounge.gif

But your point still stands. However, I believe he was talking about he for some reasons still thinks the screenshots are on a console devkit tounge.gif

coolmaster958
  • coolmaster958

The silence is over.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (PacketOVerload_x64Bit @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 16:11)
Perhaps it always was Rockstar's vision and goal to create such a circumstance around GTA V that the PC crowd would turn into a rabid pack of famished dogs re: the title. If that is the case, mission accomplished. More sales. I am confident now, nearing such a release date and not releasing information on the PC platform, the game is assuredly going to be released on PC. The complete avoidance of the topic by Rockstar brass shows how important the information actually is. If there was not a version coming for PC Rockstar would have stated it by now in order to ensure more sales on the other platforms - to ensure those who might be waiting for a PC version would still buy, buy, buy.

This. icon14.gif

M_Redfield
  • M_Redfield

Trick

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (kastrenzo @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 10:13)

Unlike a console, which is limited to disc size, and the amount of space on it's single hard drive

suicidal.gif

50gigs per disc and 500+gigs on the hard drive, that's just on the PS3 alone.

The PS4 is rumored to be able to use triple-layer blu-ray discs(100-128gigs). Size is not an issue.

Njale
  • Njale

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (M_Redfield @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 00:56)

suicidal.gif

The PS4 is rumored to be able to use triple-layer blu-ray discs(100-128gigs). Size is not an issue.

HDD space is a problem, since games need to be installed on next gen consoles and they come with just 500GB.

kastrenzo
  • kastrenzo

Hustler

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (M_Redfield @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 22:56)

suicidal.gif

A big reason why console games' prices are hiked up.

and retail in general

HaciSerkanOsman
  • HaciSerkanOsman

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (coolmaster958 @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 21:48)
[QUOTE=PacketOVerload_x64Bit,Friday, Aug 30 2013, 16:11] Perhaps it always was Rockstar's vision and goal to create such a circumstance around GTA V that the PC crowd would turn into a rabid pack of famished dogs re: the title. If that is the case, mission accomplished. More sales. I am confident now, nearing such a release date and not releasing information on the PC platform, the game is assuredly going to be released on PC. The complete avoidance of the topic by Rockstar brass shows how important the information actually is. If there was not a version coming for PC Rockstar would have stated it by now in order to ensure more sales on the other platforms - to ensure those who might be waiting for a PC version would still buy, buy, buy.

yes. It makes me happy that the game releases in 16 days..not because i can play it. cause after that releaseday we are much much more closer on the releasedate of PC version.-

FutoDriver
  • FutoDriver

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (kastrenzo @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 18:13)

suicidal.gif

I thought it was all implied. You can use all sorts of techniques to keep file sizes down with compression software. I was saying the PC is unlimited compared to the console from which a port might appear from. So, again console gamers thinking map size is any issue after it's already been compressed to fit their format's disc is simply utterly completely wrong!

confused.gif

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• Feroci Racing
  • Netherlands

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE (brian. @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 23:50)
Nay, they aren't "back" so much as more than likely "Foliage Density" is now an option on versions that give options.

That, as promised I would always do, is pure speculation.

If not, perhaps those trees are considered "detail" objects, thus dictated by "detail distance".

Again, speculative.

Howeve,r the screenshot shows very crisp train and train bridge details, whereas the game-play, we can see the true jagginess of 720p source output resolution, and also, we can see much lower fidelity assets in terms of texel density (pixel count of each texture, texture size medium vs high basically).

Some say that "it's just because in the trailer, you are moving fast and flying"

They would not be at all wrong for assuming that, it is an option/opinion that I must respect as a possibility.

I won't say "each and every single one of my claims is non-refutable", but there are enough that are, that make the refutable ones not really matter when put next to those (the tessellation in the franklin/cop car/arrests shot for one, the best of all of them has been "night shadows" in the post just above on this page).

But when it comes to the texel density, it is true when flying and moving very fast that we can expect the game to scale down and blur extra and such, but in the screenshot you share and the gameplay video equivilents, the texel density is very different, the definition of the texture blends (from rock to grass and back to rock) are all explainable by "high" vs "medium" textures - we can make many examples of this between screens and videos, but I myself and others tend to use this canyon as the main example.

"foliage density" is a dream speculation, but "texture size" and "detail/view distance" is more believable.

Have you seen the screens facing the other way Blaster? The ones with franklin parachuting in and there is a bridge in the distance? There is one of those with lots of trees and very far sight beyond the bridge, but the other one in the same place you can't see beyond the bridge. I'll share it later if no one else posts it.

The biggest red flag in the screenshot currently in question is the train bridge and train - they are antialiased and "clearly" downscaled (look to the alpha rails on the red tank-type car, it's definitely downscaled after AA in my opinion, but I can't say it for fact - the only thing I can say for fact in this case is that the image is far, far too highly sharp to be deferred shading on 720p output - it's been rendered high and lowered resolution for sure - compare it to the HD video with the same canyon and train, it will show it clearly that one is downscaled and the other is true 720p icon14.gif )

Interesting. Foliage Density sounds possible, but then I would think that's about grass, small bushes and patches of vegetation (object without collision) but not 30 feet tall trees. Those trees make a fundamental change in that scene, even to some gameplay extent where you could fly with a helicopter into the trees and crash.

I still find it weird that those trees were removed due performance reasons. There isn't much going on in Blaine County as there is in Los Santos, there should be a lot of reources available due to the minimal usage of pedestrians and vehicles. It's maybe possible, just maybe, they weren't in the build where the gameplay footage is captured from. So maybe we see them back in the final game.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:04 AM Edited by SilverRST, 31 August 2013 - 03:16 AM.

GTAV for PC announced on 25th December, my best Christmas present ever!
It's weird as it GTAV should released on that day but it won't happen so an announcement would be the best.
Not gonna lay and waste some 60 euros for a game on a console. I disguse closed systems.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users