Fake? What would it mean if it wasn't?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
216 replies to this topic
ALeonard28
  • ALeonard28

Ravenclaw Prefect

• Members

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Seems legit, but what exactly does this mean? I'm sure we all figured there would be a PC version of GTA V, do these pictures actually mean anything at all?

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hmm... first the "leak", and now this... inside job? Is this the marketing?

Shou
  • Shou

y

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Tuesday, Oct 30 2012, 04:21)
Hmm... first the "leak", and now this... inside job? Is this the marketing?

Think they did this becasue of the pc worries because of the leak, you know when you kept bashing the pc platform till you said you had nothing against it?

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (DizzeeXL @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 22:14)
Is Rockstar trolling us or this is some kind of mistake, anybody here who knows more about such things?

It's 100% deliberate. You don't accidentally write a script update placing a folder in the social club directory called GTA5.

It is very similar when they added the TLAD acheivements to GFWL. They said nothing for b100dy ages, no confirm or deny, sat there ignoring the elephant in the room. It tells us nothing in detail, just gets people talking and speculating.

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:35 PM Edited by SomeManForGTA, 29 October 2012 - 10:38 PM.

GTA5Videos are tools. They're wannabe hardcover GTA fans and the lack of knowledge of GTA is amusing because the think they know it all.

100% of things in their videos is either useless bullcrap or copied and pasted from this forum.

It would be a shame if they got any credit for this.

Njale
  • Njale

Thug

• Members

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

Why would they be preparing ground for gta5 so much in advance? This looks to me like it was made on purpose and how they just took images from the forum...

BTW this should go in to official section.

fiftyyy
  • fiftyyy

Mr Sociopath

• Members

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Njale @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 22:49)
Why would they be preparing ground for gta5 so much in advance? This looks to me like it was made on purpose and how they just took images from the forum...

Im still not 100% this is legit. Any logical explanation for the fan art? IMO that fan art sucks.

What are the odds SC has been hacked?

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (fiftyyy @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 23:04)
QUOTE (Njale @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 22:49)

Im still not 100% this is legit. Any logical explanation for the fan art? IMO that fan art sucks.

A lot less likely than the art work in the official section being a fake imho.

If they had been hacked, it would have been shut down by now to run security diagnostics to check malicious code wasn't being installed onto all their customers computers.

turkish1981
  • turkish1981

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

Dude, what`s up?

This tread is a shame.

PLEASE LOCKED THIS f*ckING RETARD sh*t TREAD NOW.

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

Why did I move here? I guess it was to bounce.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (turkish1981 @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 18:20)
Dude, what`s up?

This tread is a shame.

PLEASE LOCKED THIS f*ckING RETARD sh*t TREAD NOW.

How is it shameful? It's truthful information and can be confirmed.

Eagles
  • Eagles

Here we go, kids

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

Well, it means that the game will be coming to PC as well, which was kinda obvious. Rockstar wouldn't make a senseless move on not releasing the game for PC.

What makes me wonder is: why did they introduced these images? They are fan arts. Are they trying to avoid the fact that the leaked art work is an official artwork by releasing "leaked" fan arts, causing people to think that the guy with the dog is also a fan art?
That's confusing. Or I'm just confused.

Njale
  • Njale

Thug

• Members

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

If the creation date of that folder is correct 26. October i believe R* would have realized they have been hacked or something like that by now...

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

I don't understand what all this means but it's cool.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

I have this folder too in my social club directory now after the update:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Social Club\UI\xml\Local_Resources\gta5

However, all the files contained seem to be exact copies of the MP3 files. The LA Noire ones however, are different.

Also this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Social Club\UI\html\gta5

Mefris
  • Mefris

Grumpy Uncle

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE (Adriaan @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 16:13)
This is definitely one for the books. Either troll at Rockstar that placed these files there, or Rockstar was hacked and these files were placed there before last update.

EDIT: Is it possible that Social Club got hacked?

The chance of SC being hacked is as slim as a Vogue cigarette but,in the unlikely event that these folders ARE the by-product of a malicious hacker,we will hear something about it on the newswire.
R* is legally bound to inform it's customers about cyber-attacks or anything that could potentially put them at risk.

Personally,I think this is 100% R*'s doing.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (DawgerDoc @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 09:23)
QUOTE (BlackandWhite23 @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 14:20)
Whahahah lol.gif ROFL This made me laugh real hard

Why would that make you laugh?

This… this is making insanely good sense to me.

*double facepalm* man I swear, are you trolling, this garbage is fake.
You and anyone else who is believing this really needs to stop being so stupidly gullible.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Tuesday, Oct 30 2012, 00:30)
QUOTE (DawgerDoc @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 09:23)
QUOTE (BlackandWhite23 @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 14:20)
Whahahah lol.gif ROFL This made me laugh real hard

Why would that make you laugh?

This… this is making insanely good sense to me.

*double facepalm* man I swear, are you trolling, this garbage is fake.
You and anyone else who is believing this really needs to stop being so stupidly gullible.

Erm, do you have Max Payne 3 or LA Noire for the PC? Because the update for the social club added these folders and files to my computer.

Mefris
  • Mefris

Grumpy Uncle

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:37 AM

Kifflom112@
Are you a PC Gamer by any chance?If you are,then look for those folders yourself before you open your mouth..

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

oh, oops.
But what does it even mean in the first place. Don't see any importance.

NikoBellicGTAIV
  • NikoBellicGTAIV

Peon

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

Has anyone tried to send an e-mail to Rockstar and ask them about this images and foulders?

james_root
  • james_root

Gaming Since Forever

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

Just downloaded the latest social club and max payne update , and i don't have the 'gta5' folder

lh1
  • lh1

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE (Jimbatron @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 22:30)
QUOTE (DizzeeXL @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 22:14)
Is Rockstar trolling us or this is some kind of mistake, anybody here who knows more about such things?

It's 100% deliberate. You don't accidentally write a script update placing a folder in the social club directory called GTA5.

It is very similar when they added the TLAD acheivements to GFWL. They said nothing for b100dy ages, no confirm or deny, sat there ignoring the elephant in the room. It tells us nothing in detail, just gets people talking and speculating.

Now that you mentioned it, there's something interesting and it has to do with number once again.

I just noticed that the three images are "created" on September 10th 2012 with the folder being created on October 26th 2012 while TLAD achievements were leaked on November 10th 2009.

@james_root Are you sure you are looking at the right directory ?

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:52 AM Edited by Ash_735, 30 October 2012 - 04:03 AM.

Erm, i have the folder to, with those images, ...I last played on Max Payne 3 on Friday that's when it last updated.

edit: The pictures look so pathetically fake though, I'm confused, this obviously came from Rockstar, I can assure you I've not added these folders, I just saw this thread and went to check it and lo and behold I have them to.

edit 2: more proof in case anyone wants to call me a liar...
user posted image

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 22:52)
Erm, i have the folder to, with those images, ...I last played on Max Payne 3 on Friday that's when it last updated.

edit: The pictures look so pathetically fake though, I'm confused, this obviously came from Rockstar, I can assure you I've not added these folders, I just saw this thread and went to check it and lo and behold I have them to.

edit 2: more proof in case anyone wants to call me a liar...
user posted image

They're just placeholders. Given the secrecy Rockstar has, the developer who did this probably doesn't have access to official assets of GTAV and just used some images he found. That or Rockstar knew someone would go rooting through the files and decided to do some trolling.

Rauland
  • Rauland

Test your might

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

would have been a better discovery if they used actual images from the game as placeholders devil.gif

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:43 AM

Heh Rockstar was kinda careless with this update. There are a number of references to GTAV's codebase in the socialclub.dll file. The references don't really reveal anything though as the paths are extremely similar to the one's found in Max Payne 3's file, only a "gta5" in place of "mp3".

lh1
  • lh1

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE (gamerzworld @ Tuesday, Oct 30 2012, 05:43)
Heh Rockstar was kinda careless with this update. There are a number of references to GTAV's codebase in the socialclub.dll file. The references don't really reveal anything though as the paths are extremely similar to the one's found in Max Payne 3's file, only a "gta5" in place of "mp3".

I don't think it was careless. I think Rockstar actually think : Those die hard fans are going to find them ! Let's leave them there. I think it was more of intentional than careless.

Anyway, what references, maybe you could take some picture of the dll file

gtasadude
  • gtasadude

Stunter

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:36 AM Edited by gtasadude, 30 October 2012 - 07:10 AM.

QUOTE (lh1 @ Tuesday, Oct 30 2012, 05:50)
QUOTE (gamerzworld @ Tuesday, Oct 30 2012, 05:43)

I don't think it was careless. I think Rockstar actually think : Those die hard fans are going to find them ! Let's leave them there. I think it was more of intentional than careless.

Anyway, what references, maybe you could take some picture of the dll file

Your logic is solid, but DLL's aren't exactly accessible to the average user. Something like a 'vehicles.ide' (such as that which leaked with Max Payne 3) can be read directly by programs everyone owns such as Notepad. If they wanted to deliver information to the fans, in a more discreet way than mass marketing, they would do things differently. Think about all the leftover XML files from Max Payne 3 that they left in the 'gta5' folder, wouldn't that would be a much better way of achieving the same result? There's no way this helps them develop the game internally, so it's simply carelessness on their part.

One thing I do agree on is this; I'd also like to see what AJ found in the socialclub.dll file, even though it's fairly nondescript. smile.gif

EDIT: All the references I could find.

X:\gta5\src\dev\rage\base\src\rline\rlsessionfinder.cpp
X:\gta5\src\dev\rage\base\src\net\task.cpp
X:\gta5\src\dev\rage\base\src\rline\socialclub\rlsocialclubtask.cpp
X:\gta5\src\dev\rage\base\src\rline\rlgamespy.cpp
X:\gta5\src\dev\rage\base\src\net\http.cpp
X:\gta5\src\dev\rage\base\src\rline\ros\rlroshttptask.cpp
X:\gta5\src\dev\rage\base\src\data\growbuffer.cpp
X:\gta5\src\dev\rage\base\src\system\simpleallocator.cpp
X:\gta5\src\dev\rage\suite\src\rgsc\rgsc\rgsc\profiles.cpp
X:\gta5\src\dev\rage\suite\src\rgsc\rgsc\rgsc\presence.cpp
X:\gta5\src\dev\rage\suite\src\rgsc\rgsc\Release\socialclub.pdb

EDIT 2: What surprises me is that Social Club is powered in partnership with Gamespy. Upon researching this, I found that they've been supporting Rockstar all the way back to GTA IV. It's public domain, but it's just interesting, because I've never heard it mentioned until now.

RogueGhost87
  • RogueGhost87

Wait you mean I can edit this?

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

What confuses me is that picture of that helicopter in the top left , is that ingame footage but looks GTA IVish but I'm on a phone so can't make it out , I just hope that this points to a pc version .

jamesvenice
  • jamesvenice

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE (Barguast @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 14:31)
QUOTE (Freezer89 @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 15:24)
mh.. yeah, seems legit. I mean nobody could possibly fake such stuff. This would require a lot of work.. nope, definitely real.

Well, actually, no it wouldn't. You can create folders anywhere. It would take roughly zero effort to fake this, but it also has roughly zero significance.

I think he was being sarcastic...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users