• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic
iLiR
  • iLiR

Spinnin'

• Members
  • Macedonia

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

So as the title says, has anyone tried GTA San Andreas on Windows 8? Is there any compatibility issues or different gameplay/visual experience?

Celestail
  • Celestail

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:26 PM Edited by Celestail, 29 October 2012 - 01:26 PM.

Correct me if im wrong but win 8 should still use the older compatibile modes

ThatSpecialSomeone
  • ThatSpecialSomeone

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (wikipedia)
Windows 8 for IA-32 and x64 processors runs most software compatible with previous versions of Windows

According to wikipedia Windows 8 is competible with previous versions of Windows

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

its compatible. But several games i tried did not work when i used the beta.

Tested and working by me:

GTA SA
Fallout
Fallout 2
The Sims
The Sims 3
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Scarface
Simcity 4
Simcity 3000

Tested by me and NOT working :
GTA 3
GTA VC
The Sims 2
The Sims Life Stories
The Sims Pet Stories
The Sims Castaway Stories
Sins of a solar empire
Silent hill 4 the room

sshortguy1
  • sshortguy1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

tried gta san andreas not working at all on windows 8

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:14 AM

ccrogers15, how did you get the games to run? Did you do anything different?

Have any of you tried running them in various compatibility modes?

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

October 29 was near the market release of Windows 8, most of you probably still had the beta. Windows 7 compatibility should work or even no compatibility mode, even though the kernel changed in a major way, it should work anyway with the correct drivers and fixes. Microsoft has been laying out updates so that might help.

ThaRealRLP
  • ThaRealRLP

Hooked on Persona and GTA

• Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

64-bit Windows 8 in its final release doesn't play nice with GTA SA at all because of the dreaded mouse bug that has plagued this game on 64-bit Vista and 7. On my end, I even tried the Win98/Me compatibility mode and that didn't work. (Hell I even tried Windows 95 but got the "Grand Theft Auto SA cannot run on Windows 95" error)

I think this'll help. This did for me.

While googling for a solution I came across this: http://preferredbype...4bit-vista.html

The person that made this thread mentioned getting a different version of the dinput8.dll file and replacing it in C:\Windows\SysWOW64, but this could have a certain effect on other games, so this isn't a recommended fix.

So I thought "Why not take this dinput8.dll file and put it in the GTA San Andreas directory instead?"

I obtained the dinput8.dll file on dll-files (the same version could be in one of the DirectX cab archives on the San Andreas DVD, not sure), put it in the GTA San Andreas directory, and voila, the mouse worked 100% both in the menus and in-game (so far).

Doing this would allow the game to work properly without setting the compatibility mode or anything like that. I can't really say this'll work for everyone, but it works for me.

Doing a search here, I did discover others that have tried this, but I thought I'd make this more widespread so others can try this and hopefully fix GTA SA if they're having issues playing it in Windows 8.

vhj1995
  • vhj1995

Modder

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Gta Sa and VC Both runs fine by using Winxp sp3 Compatibility Mod in Win8

xiuhcoatl666
  • xiuhcoatl666

Xiuhcoatl Triple Seis

• Members

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

It works fine unless you have Stream Memory Fix, even in Compatiblity Mode the Erange Error pops up like Win7 suicidal.gif suicidal.gif

mitchnorton
  • mitchnorton

Fly High Pizza Pie

• Members

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

I got GTA 3/VC/SA working fine on Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit WITHOUT any compatibility mode. Although I did replace Steam's GTA 3 exe with another one to fix the dark cars bug, and swapped Steam's GTA VC exe for another one to fix the mouse not working bug. San Andreas is working fine without exe replacement from a 2.00 retail version. As I said NO COMPATIBILITY MODE was needed, and the exe's Steam gave me worked fine. One thing I noticed is that you MUST use frame limiter for these games and 1 core affinity for VC and SA, otherwise Windows 8 will go apesh*t.

JoeBlobs
  • JoeBlobs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (ThaRealRLP @ Thursday, Nov 22 2012, 02:04)
64-bit Windows 8 in its final release doesn't play nice with GTA SA at all because of the dreaded mouse bug that has plagued this game on 64-bit Vista and 7. On my end, I even tried the Win98/Me compatibility mode and that didn't work. (Hell I even tried Windows 95 but got the "Grand Theft Auto SA cannot run on Windows 95" error)

While googling for a solution I came across this: http://preferredbype...4bit-vista.html

The person that made this thread mentioned getting a different version of the dinput8.dll file and replacing it in C:\Windows\SysWOW64, but this could have a certain effect on other games, so this isn't a recommended fix.

So I thought "Why not take this dinput8.dll file and put it in the GTA San Andreas directory instead?"

I obtained the dinput8.dll file on dll-files (the same version could be in one of the DirectX cab archives on the San Andreas DVD, not sure), put it in the GTA San Andreas directory, and voila, the mouse worked 100% both in the menus and in-game (so far).

Doing this would allow the game to work properly without setting the compatibility mode or anything like that. I can't really say this'll work for everyone, but it works for me.

Doing a search here, I did discover others that have tried this, but I thought I'd make this more widespread so others can try this and hopefully fix GTA SA if they're having issues playing it in Windows 8.

This is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. I've been trying for weeks to figure out how to fix the mouse problem on Windows 8. Changing the compatibility to XP/Vista/Win98 didn't do a thing. I even edited my registry in hopes that it would fix the problem, but nothing happened.

Then I found ThaRealRLP comment and thought, how the hell will putting the dll in SA's directory do anything? Well to my amazement it in fact fixed the problem, and I signed up to this website just to thank him and confirm this fix.

So Mr. ThaRealRLP, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. <3 wink.gif

The dinput8.dll can be found here:
http://www.dll-files...s.shtml?dinput8

download the zip file, not the fixer.

uncredited
  • uncredited

Midnight Marauder

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:47 PM Edited by Imbredking, 05 May 2013 - 09:10 PM.

It works, thanks a lot!

fnxrak
  • fnxrak

"Does the Pope sh*t in the Woods?"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:39 AM Edited by fnxrak, 06 May 2013 - 11:41 AM.

If there is too much trouble with the game with windows 7 and windows 8 you can always try to play it in a virtualmachine software with windows XP installed. I played a few times in those VR enviroments and had not too much bugs, at least not more than usual bugs with San Andreas.
Now if you want to record the games that's not a very usefull choice because of the machines memory limitations, but for gameplay it's rather the same thing.
I would try Vmware or Virtualbox.

Razey
  • Razey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

This is also the only thing that worked for me. Thought I'll also sign up to say that. tounge.gif

I'm using Windows 8 64-bit and the game wouldn't even run for me. Loading it in Windows XP SP3 at least ran the game but suffered from the mouse bug. Then I tried what ThaRealRLP suggested and it worked fine. Had to switch off Frame Limiter to get a smooth framerate and now it's running fine. So yeah, thanks ThaRealRLP and thanks JoeBlobs for the link.

mysteryboyee
  • mysteryboyee

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

another thing to try is the invert mouse function

LetItBePlayed
  • LetItBePlayed

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

i have windows 8 and gta sa worked fine with me....... :r*:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users