Trap Music

13 replies to this topic
El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

This particular form of electronic music, a mix of southern hip hop beats (808s and snares) and samples (sorry for a better, more musically astute description) has been gaining a lot of popularity. I heard a snippet on BBC Radio1xtra and was instantly hooked; subsequent searching has turned up a multitude of artists (Baauer, Flosstradamus, Diplo) and songs in what looks to be a rapidly growing new genre. I'd predict an explosion in 2013, but for the moment I'm wondering, how you fellow listeners find it?

And a rather snazzy hour mix:

DreamsLieHere
  • DreamsLieHere

Pleasure principle

• Members

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

Rustie doesn't really do 'trap' per se but this is an absolute banger

Also worth mentioning:

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΣΓ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Why would they even call this a genre? I've heard music like this years ago, it doesn't sound new to me. Just recycled garbage.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (_____ @ Sunday, Oct 28 2012, 11:08)
Why would they even call this a genre? I've heard music like this years ago, it doesn't sound new to me. Just recycled garbage.

This, except for the garbage part.

Let's make even more genres that have no meaning, yayayayayay!

I play only the Fireman genre, it's completely new, it's a mix of trap and buzz.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (_____ @ Sunday, Oct 28 2012, 12:08)

There is a distinction, most recently those snares and that sort of distinctive sound used in some Southern hip hop beats have started to be mixed with electro, as a distinct 'genre' or subgenre or whatever, it's gaining popularity so I thought it's definitely worth a topic.

Ats.
  • Ats.

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Some EDM trap is really good and hype, but most of it is repetitive as f*ck and sucks ass. (TNGHT etc)

I like this.

Straznicy
  • Straznicy

Laugh at your problems

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Scotland

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

My friends adore this sh*t. I can bear it most of the time, occasionally even like it - Baauer did an excellent set at Boiler Room a couple of months ago. But yeah, as stated by others, it gets rather repetitive fairly quickly.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΣΓ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:37 PM Edited by _____, 28 October 2012 - 04:41 PM.

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Sunday, Oct 28 2012, 18:34)
There is a distinction, most recently those snares and that sort of distinctive sound used in some Southern hip hop beats have started to be mixed with electro, as a distinct 'genre' or subgenre or whatever, it's gaining popularity so I thought it's definitely worth a topic.

I was never a big fan of that kind of electro music.

I think it would make more sense to post a topic about it if you liked it personally.

Edit: I've listened a couple of times to the first track you posted (in here and the "Rate the song above you" topic) and I kinda like it now. lol.gif

ALeonard28
  • ALeonard28

Ravenclaw Prefect

• Members

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:51 AM

Great post man, I loved all the music you posted. Big thanks

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:39 AM Edited by Benjimino234, 29 October 2012 - 02:42 AM.

I like EDM a lot and yeah this genre is relatively new to me but I like it. I might not be able to correctly identify it by myself 100% but I think it's good to learn.

The last one has a sick bass that just resonates throughout the song which is awesome.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Fantastic mix here:

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:45 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 05 November 2012 - 02:51 PM.

It's kinda so-so for me. El_Zilcho, you da man, homie..I will defo give more consIderation to it on your reccomendation.
I love the 808 sound so thAts what grabbed my attention but some of the saw-synth lines sounded a bit simple and poppy/commercial for my tastes.

Also I know what you mean about southern Hip-Hop beats making its way in to Electro but surely it's where they began? 808s and those familiar snare a rim shot sounds you hear began in Electro smile.gif

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΣΓ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

This guy asked me to promote his music on YouTube, he makes some nice instrumentals that would probably fall in the trap genre:

I didn't like this genre at first but now I'm really starting to get into it.

autotheftisgrand
  • autotheftisgrand

Fries optional

• Members

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

I love EDM and Hip-Hop so I'm really inclined to this genre haha.

Dillon Francis just released his trap remix for Bootleg Fireworks, the original is a great Moombahton song by the way if you're into that genre.

Well you all know Zedd's Clarity, this is a great trap remix. It keeps the vocals fresh enough.

I love this more than the original.

It's very simplistic but a nice tune nonetheless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users